Shady's Sugar Shine

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Shady's Sugar Shine

Post by LordL »

I'm not questioning the recipe itself. It seems like some of the best sugar wash ones out here.

I just wanted to provide additional information regarding what happens (or not happens) when yeast is boiled, Vs. Kept at a temperature of autolysis.
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Maybe you should have started a new thread rather than risking this technology getting buried/lost in this, rather large, one.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

LordL wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:04 am I'm not questioning the recipe itself. It seems like some of the best sugar wash ones out here.

I just wanted to provide additional information regarding what happens (or not happens) when yeast is boiled, Vs. Kept at a temperature of autolysis.
Your probably right and I appreciate the input. :thumbup:
Lower temps, plus more time could be better so proteins don't get denatured.
Plan B, is to worry less about perfection and to sacrifice more yeast.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've been cheating by using a scoop of Vegemite. :D
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

NZChris wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:11 am I've been cheating by using a scoop of Vegemite. :D
Vegemite works for nutrients but is kinda salty.
I keep a jar so folks around here can figure out what Men at work are talking about a vegemite sandwich. Guess Vegemite works better on homemade damper. One things for sure, it seems to have a 'Very long shelf life"
It's also one of those flavors that a Youngen will make a face, then reach for more. :lol:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It isn't salty enough to stop any wash I've used it for so far. Having a long shelf life is very handy as it means that I nearly always have enough if I need to put a ferment down.

The one time I did boil yeast, I saw oily patches about the color of Vegemite on the surface.

There was talk of banning the sale of Vegemite in Australia's Northern Territory a few years ago.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/ ... Australia.
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

NZChris wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:19 am Maybe you should have started a new thread rather than risking this technology getting buried/lost in this, rather large, one.
I could have sworn on that I got this info from another thread here somewhere. Can't find it though.. 😅

But you seem to have knowledge in the subject as well, using vegimite, i bought a can as well after having read the article. 😁
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Personally I wouldn't waste perfectly good Vegemite in a wash , it belongs on your toast for breakfast or on a Vegemite and cheese sanga for lunch.
This recipe didn't make it to T&T because it needs changing.
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

Hello. I did 2 fermenters of this recipe and except adding the vitamins followed the recipe to a T. Both fermenters had the same amount of water and sugar. Fermenter 1 I used Domino pure can sugar and barrel 2 I used Walmart Pure Sugar, which I assume is beet sugar. Barrel 1 starting brix was 15.6 (1.0637 w/potential ABV of 8.6%). Barrel 2 starting brix was 14.4 (1.0586 w/potential ABV of 7.8%). Barrel 1 stopped in 2.5 days at 4.5 (1.0177) brix and barrel 2 stopped in 3 days also at 4.5(1.0177) brix. I rarely if ever use sugar and do mostly all grain. With all grain i could live with 1.0177 but I was thinking sugar should finish a lot lower. How do these numbers sound and I have some EC1118 i could hit it with if that is necessary. Thanks in advance for the help.
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

bigbone32 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:03 pm Hello. I did 2 fermenters of this recipe and except adding the vitamins followed the recipe to a T. Both fermenters had the same amount of water and sugar. Fermenter 1 I used Domino pure can sugar and barrel 2 I used Walmart Pure Sugar, which I assume is beet sugar. Barrel 1 starting brix was 15.6 (1.0637 w/potential ABV of 8.6%). Barrel 2 starting brix was 14.4 (1.0586 w/potential ABV of 7.8%). Barrel 1 stopped in 2.5 days at 4.5 (1.0177) brix and barrel 2 stopped in 3 days also at 4.5(1.0177) brix. I rarely if ever use sugar and do mostly all grain. With all grain i could live with 1.0177 but I was thinking sugar should finish a lot lower. How do these numbers sound and I have some EC1118 i could hit it with if that is necessary. Thanks in advance for the help.
Hmmm, have any vitamins at hand?

Whats the pH in your washes?
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Were the measurements done with a refractometer?
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

I can't figure out why people have problems whit this recipe. It's soooo easy. Never had a problem with one. But I follow it to a T. And keep a heat pad under set on 85f. Maybe I've just been lucky... Makes so clean a drop. Absolutely love this recipe. And that fact that it's scaled to a 20 gal ferment. Makes 2 boiler charges of 10 gallons each. I usually get 5.5 gal of low wines from the stripping runs. Need to strip the 10 gals I have in the basement. It's been clearing for two weeks now.
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

Wildcats wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:39 pm I can't figure out why people have problems whit this recipe. It's soooo easy. Never had a problem with one. But I follow it to a T. And keep a heat pad under set on 85f. Maybe I've just been lucky... Makes so clean a drop. Absolutely love this recipe. And that fact that it's scaled to a 20 gal ferment. Makes 2 boiler charges of 10 gallons each. I usually get 5.5 gal of low wines from the stripping runs. Need to strip the 10 gals I have in the basement. It's been clearing for two weeks now.
Thanks for your expert guidance. Your insight is amazing. With asshole answers like yours, there is no need for a forum.
Last edited by bigbone32 on Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

shadylane wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:19 pm Were the measurements done with a refractometer?
Yes, I used a digital refractometer and zeroed it before I started.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

bigbone32 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:04 pm
shadylane wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:19 pm Were the measurements done with a refractometer?
There's the problem.
A refractometer lies after fermentation starts and alcohol is present.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Wildcats wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:39 pm I can't figure out why people have problems whit this recipe. It's soooo easy. Never had a problem with one. But I follow it to a T. And keep a heat pad under set on 85f. Maybe I've just been lucky... Makes so clean a drop. Absolutely love this recipe. And that fact that it's scaled to a 20 gal ferment. Makes 2 boiler charges of 10 gallons each. I usually get 5.5 gal of low wines from the stripping runs. Need to strip the 10 gals I have in the basement. It's been clearing for two weeks now.
There are all manner of mistakes that can be made that are no fault of the recipe, e.g. using the wrong tool for measuring the progress of the ferment.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

bigbone32 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:03 pm Hello. I did 2 fermenters of this recipe and except adding the vitamins followed the recipe to a T. Both fermenters had the same amount of water and sugar. Fermenter 1 I used Domino pure can sugar and barrel 2 I used Walmart Pure Sugar, which I assume is beet sugar. Barrel 1 starting brix was 15.6 (1.0637 w/potential ABV of 8.6%). Barrel 2 starting brix was 14.4 (1.0586 w/potential ABV of 7.8%). Barrel 1 stopped in 2.5 days at 4.5 (1.0177) brix and barrel 2 stopped in 3 days also at 4.5(1.0177) brix. I rarely if ever use sugar and do mostly all grain. With all grain i could live with 1.0177 but I was thinking sugar should finish a lot lower. How do these numbers sound and I have some EC1118 i could hit it with if that is necessary. Thanks in advance for the help.
Do you have a means of testing the pH?
It could have crashed due to low pH but calcium should have taken care of that, what kind of calcium did you use for buffering pH?
You could rack it off and see what's left of your shells/grit or whatever?
Make Booze, not War!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

bigbone32 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:03 pm Barrel 1 starting brix was 15.6 (1.0637 w/potential ABV of 8.6%). Barrel 2 starting brix was 14.4 (1.0586 w/potential ABV of 7.8%). Barrel 1 stopped in 2.5 days at 4.5 (1.0177) brix and barrel 2 stopped in 3 days also at 4.5(1.0177) brix
Guess 1, Is that Shady is right and its the refractometer giving a false reading.
Guess 2, Did barrel 1 stop in 2.5 days, did barrel 2 stop in 3.......or did the airlocks on the fermenters just stop bubbling ?
Have you checked them again a couple of days later ?
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

bigbone32 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:02 pm
Thanks for your expert guidance. Your insight is amazing. With asshole answers like yours, there is no need for a forum.
I'm by no means an expert. Nor will I belittle myself by reacting to your nonsense. Hopefully you will save the ferment. The world don't revolve around you. Have fun and stay safe.
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

shadylane wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:41 pm
There's the problem.
Thanks. This is what I was looking for. I had no idea this was the case. Appreciate the info.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

bigbone32 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:11 am
There's the problem.
Thanks. This is what I was looking for. I had no idea this was the case. Appreciate the info.

There are numerous calculators to correct a refractometer's measurements in the presence of alcohol. I use this one:

http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

Using that, your numbers are a lot closer to what I'd expect for a sugar wash:

Barrel 1
15.6 brix > 4.5 brix = 0.990 FG

Barrel 2
14.4 brix > 4.5 brix = 0.993 FG

If you want precision, use a hydrometer. I use a refractometer as a quick check that my process/workflow is in control.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Don't feel bad, I had to learn this the hard way also. :lol:
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

greggn wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:27 am
There's the problem.

There are numerous calculators to correct a refractometer's measurements in the presence of alcohol. I use this one:

http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

Using that, your numbers are a lot closer to what I'd expect for a sugar wash:

Barrel 1
15.6 brix > 4.5 brix = 0.990 FG

Barrel 2
14.4 brix > 4.5 brix = 0.993 FG

If you want precision, use a hydrometer. I use a refractometer as a quick check that my process/workflow is in control.
This is great information to have. Thanks for your help and thanks for the link. You and shadylane nailed my problem and are the reason this forum exists. Much appreciated. Looks like my all grains have had way better conversion than I thought. I have always used a refractometer. I ordered a hydrometer today and will be using it going forward. Thanks again to you and shadylane and all that tried to help.
Last edited by bigbone32 on Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Another reason why I love this fourm. I bought a refractometer months ago and it always read different then my hydrometer. So I just quit using it and now I know why it wasn't working for me.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

^^^ yes cranky shows why a refractometer is needed in this hobby so don't discard it.
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

ecir54 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:37 pm ^^^ yes cranky shows why a refractometer is needed in this hobby so don't discard it.
For sure will hang on to it. I'll still use it for SG and I do a lot of brandies so I use it to check the brix of fruit. Thanks for the tip.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

1.064 to 0.990 FG in 2-1/2 days is pretty good.

On a side note, Watch closely for the tails cut.
Sugar washes are noted for crappy tails.
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

shadylane wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:47 pm 1.064 to 0.990 FG in 2-1/2 days is pretty good.

On a side note, Watch closely for the tails cut.
Sugar washes are noted for crappy tails.
Thanks for the heads up. Stripping tomorrow. Ill do the spirit run on a 4 plate bubble cap column. I'll post an update when its done. Great recipe BTW and appreciate the help right from the source.
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Just had mine stall. First time in a long time to have sugar wash do this . I normally used powdered CC to buffer the ph drop, but think I accidentally didn’t add enough this time around. Other possibility is the bakers yeast getting a bit old in the fridge.

Stopped at 1.020 after 7 days. Chucked in some more powdered CC and a little fresh yeast. Fingers crossed
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:08 pm Just had mine stall. First time in a long time to have sugar wash do this . I normally used powdered CC to buffer the ph drop, but think I accidentally didn’t add enough this time around. Other possibility is the bakers yeast getting a bit old in the fridge.

Stopped at 1.020 after 7 days. Chucked in some more powdered CC and a little fresh yeast. Fingers crossed
:esurprised: OH Man!! Sorry to hear this. Hope it takes back off again. I have been hooked on this recipe. Really been my go too for several months straight now.
Good luck with your SSS. Cheer's 🍻