New Column Set Up!

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bluegrass
Novice

New Column Set Up!

Post by bluegrass »

IMG_8045.jpeg
IMG_8046.jpeg
IMG_8047.jpeg
IMG_8044.jpeg
My new Deph. Arrived today. I can finally start running some good neutral spirit for my wife to play with. The entire column is 5.5 feet tall, and when I am going to run it in full reflux, I intend to pack the copper column with rolled copper.

What do y’all think?
To Drink, or not to Drink... That is the question.
Siva283
Novice

Re: New Column Set Up!

Post by Siva283 »

Well color me curious. I would think that would make it hard to keep the plates loaded properly but I am probably wrong. Keep us posted on how it works out.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I'm kinda confused about what your trying to do here, you need reflux at the top of the column.....not at the bottom.
As a plated column it should work set up that way, but for proper refuxing it won't.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hi there BG, I'd recommend a CCVM setup for neutral using a packed column with the full height packed - No plates. The full packed height will get you more re-distillations without plates if you after a more pure and clean neutral.

Plated column with either CCVM or dephlegmator for flavored spirits. Or straight up simple pot still too!

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Oops folks.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Obsessed coonass
Novice

Post by Obsessed coonass »

Yeah. That dephlegmator should be at the top. Your going to get some passive reflux with the packed copper top but I have no idea how much. If thats what you have to work with, maybe run a serpintine coil around the copper part of the riser. Id be curious to see if the column would balance out and how those plates will load up. You can allways get a spool piece to place under the dephlegmator and pack that but your going to have to figure out how you want to craft the discharge side of the still. Just my thoughts.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Mu guess is that those plates will be the least of the problem,
Caps don't drain down like perforated plates do if they are running at lower power.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

If the OP use the top column only as take-off no isues. I do not see any cooling in the top part, my gues it is just a tall pot still.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Setsumi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:49 pm If the OP use the top column only as take-off no isues. I do not see any cooling in the top part, my gues it is just a tall pot still.
looks like that to me too Setsumi.
Even if it was packed it would do bugger all .
If it were mine , I would stick the Deflag under the Tee at the top and pack the column . Might even take out the plates and pack the whole glass thing too :wink:
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

I stand to be corrected - but would that bottom section with the bubblers and under the deflag give at least some reflux?

The top section is maybe that high to work the jars bench level,
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
bluegrass
Novice

Post by bluegrass »

EricTheRed wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:02 am I stand to be corrected - but would that bottom section with the bubblers and under the deflag give at least some reflux?

This is what I was thinking. Also packing the column should add some as well. I down want to chop the column, so I can’t move the deph. To the top, I understand that would be the ideal solution.

Being able to control the vapor flow above the plates and force it to reflux back down into the plates, would be the same as refluxing in the column would it not? My understanding is, reflux is reflux, regardless of where it takes place?
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

If you have the RC down low like that. You won't get any forced reflux above it. So If you have packing above the RC. It makes it useless in my opinion. Packed column over plates works with a RC above the packing. Having it below just won't do the job. Sure it'll reflux back down on the plates. The easy solution would be to cut the column and add tri clamps to it and raise the RC to the top. Have fun and stay safe.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

4 plates is not enough to make neutral as far as a i know
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

bluegrass wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:55 am
EricTheRed wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:02 am I stand to be corrected - but would that bottom section with the bubblers and under the deflag give at least some reflux?

This is what I was thinking. Also packing the column should add some as well. I down want to chop the column, so I can’t move the deph. To the top, I understand that would be the ideal solution.

Being able to control the vapor flow above the plates and force it to reflux back down into the plates, would be the same as refluxing in the column would it not? My understanding is, reflux is reflux, regardless of where it takes place?
You will have reflux on the plates, yes. You will not have reflux in the riser on top unless you move the dephlag.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
bluegrass
Novice

Post by bluegrass »

squigglefunk wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:18 am 4 plates is not enough to make neutral as far as a i know

How many would you think I would need? I am looking at building another column and moving the deph. To the top of it.

Is there a minimum length the copper column needs to be?
drmiller100
Rumrunner

Post by drmiller100 »

bluegrass wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:21 pm
squigglefunk wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:18 am 4 plates is not enough to make neutral as far as a i know

How many would you think I would need? I am looking at building another column and moving the deph. To the top of it.

What is your goal? Neutral from 10 percent beer I think 20 plates or more. Packed is more efficient and in that case a minimum of 36 inches. Imo.

The minimum a blank empty copper column needs to be is zero.
Now I know how you claim azeo so easy, it's based on a meat thermometer. :lol:
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

personally, i would consider chopping the column below the T and fitting 2 x copper triclover ferrules, to make it more modular.
assuming that is just a support pipe between column & PC?
bluegrass
Novice

Post by bluegrass »

howie wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:30 pm

personally, i would consider chopping the column below the T and fitting 2 x copper triclover ferrules, to make it more modular.
assuming that is just a support pipe between column & PC?
Yea it is just support. I don’t want to cut this one down, my grandpa and I made it and he passed recently and it’s kinda special to me.

So I am looking at just building another column. I am thankful for all of y’all’s feedback, and welcome any and all feedback.