rifles

Moderator: Site Moderator

drmiller100
Rumrunner

Re: rifles

Post by drmiller100 »

Glock 40.
870 grandpa gave me 40 years ago
And a Tikka 06 shoots sub one moa with most ammo.
Ruger 1022
Now I know how you claim azeo so easy, it's based on a meat thermometer. :lol:
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

That is, indeed the pair of weapons that won the war. I learned an interesting fact about that butt stock pouch recently. It ain’t one! The pouch is meant to snap on to the old web belt. Even has the snap on it. Some inventive US Marine figured out that if you did a basic field strip, removing the barrel assembly from the stock, that pouch could slide on as pictured. Carry on.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Been doing the rounds around the gun shops looking at all the new pb tech out there and i reckon ive settled on my next buy

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

screenshot.15.jpg
I bought one of these at a Gun Show, yesterday. A kind of afterthought. I'd been on the lookout for a Remington 870 of some sort - but the 4 or 5 that I saw at the show were a little overpriced. This new Charles Davy shotgun (actually made in Turkey) was less than half the price of a 870 riot/ police gun anyway. The gun feels solid. I'll take it out for a test; keep it if I like it, or trade it away at the next gun show if I don't. (Gun Shows in America are rare and are not what they used to be. Instead of real collector items, you now see a lot of knives, jewelry and plastic guns. Mostly pistols and AR-15 knockoffs).

This shotgun is not made for hunting, or for shooting trap. It's more of an hedge fund against the continuing devaluation of the printed $ dollar. If you do it right, such an investment makes much better sense than stuffing your cash into a pillow case.

Looking at 'thecroweater's video on the Buck Master, I have one observation. I've never desired a semi-automatic shotgun for the task hunting; especially ducks. Even with a pump, it is just too easy to blast off a whole box of shells without bringing home any meat. My go to shotgun for hunting is presently a Winchester single shot. But I would have no compunction over moving up to a Browning over and under –IF I could afford one...
th-4131470310.jpg
Omnia mea mecum porto
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

contrahead wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:47 am I've never desired a semi-automatic shotgun for the task hunting; especially ducks. Even with a pump, it is just too easy to blast off a whole box of shells without bringing home any meat.
You know you can single load a pump or a semi-auto if you want to keep yourself honest. :D

Just due to the wet, muddy environment I would feel bad taking something as lovely as a Browning superimposed out there. For that I wanted something with synthetic stock and coated metal. I ended up with a Benelli Nova pump which has been great.

But I really should follow your thoughts for doves. I used an A-5 in 20 ga. for those and it is very easy to end up with a lot more empty shotgun shells than meat by weight.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

274C9978-1DCB-44B1-8573-875B89E3CFE4.jpeg
Not a rifle but a fun Pieta 1858 .44 with 8” barrel and black powder cylinder and conversion cylinder to fire cowboy rounds.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:57 am 274C9978-1DCB-44B1-8573-875B89E3CFE4.jpeg

Not a rifle but a fun Pieta 1858 .44 with 8” barrel and black powder cylinder and conversion cylinder to fire cowboy rounds.

Cheers!
-j
Nice I like it. I think I need one lol. I do have a new Kimber 1911 45 cal. I want to get some ivory grips for it.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

IMG_20230612_163139 (1).jpg
here is the Kimber.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

B72C34C9-A2F4-4FDF-937B-4D904DD676EE.jpeg
Nice tools Wildcat!

Cheers,
J
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:23 pm B72C34C9-A2F4-4FDF-937B-4D904DD676EE.jpeg

Nice tools Wildcat!

Cheers,
J
That's the thing about guns. Can't never have enough. Nice.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Wildcats wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:38 pm
That's the thing about guns. Can't never have enough. Nice.
Guns, Boobs and Motorcycles - never get enough and want to play with all of them.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I'm just going to go on record that I lost all my guns a couple years ago in a tragic boating accident.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

subbrew wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:34 pm Guns, Boobs and Motorcycles - never get enough and want to play with all of them.
That's hard to disagree with .
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yeah the push buttons are not exactly semi autos but they do allow for deliberate fast follow up shots, these are required not so much for ducks but more so rabbits where you come across a warren and had very little time on multiple targets generally not in exactly the same direction. I could also see it being handy with bigger game that looks to charge.having had that happen with nothing more than a ruger 10/20 ( back when we could have them) i was well aware how every shot can count as in that case i needed ever single one of them, very close call
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Palmetto state armory has complet uppers for 180.00 WOW. Very good price. Might be a rifle build in my future. 😆
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

(Curious video)
All rifle barrels flex. Take a look at first few slow motion seconds of the first video. A visual conformation of something everyone may have read about, but seldom ever gets to see this vividly. (Had to link to the entire video just to show the first few seconds).

In the second video the testing shows a considerable drop in impact, caused by simply hanging a weight on the end of a barrel.

Omnia mea mecum porto
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Nice video. Thanks for sharing this.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

I find it hard to chose which club to use on a given day. My main rifle is my 338 Win Mag, a little big for grouse but just great for everything else.
Attachments
DSCN9779 (600 x 450).jpg
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

That's one hell of a collection. Nice man!!
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

I never saw this thread before, very nice. I am a collector of both hand guns and rifles. I couldn't pick a favorite. I love my snake collection for my revolvers (anaconda, python and the king cobra). And I love my Henry golden boys (22 and 357). I also love my Henry mares leg (22) and I have the Henry Axe (410) which is wicked fun to shoot. (especially pumpkins, over sized zucchini from the garden, just about anything really.)

I'm gonna have to look into that Dragon claw bolt thing. That looks really neat. :thumbup:
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

My buddy's dad just passed away. He has a large gun collection that he is going to sale. He knows I collect guns. So yesterday he came by to tell me about them. So sometime this week he will be bringing the rifles and hand guns to me to look at and the first chance to buy them. I'm hoping to buy them all if I can work out a good price. There is several different caliber. If I'm able to acquire them I'll get a list and pictures of them up here. Needless to say I'm excited!!!
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Wildcats wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:56 am My buddy's dad just passed away. He has a large gun collection that he is going to sale. He knows I collect guns. So yesterday he came by to tell me about them. So sometime this week he will be bringing the rifles and hand guns to me to look at and the first chance to buy them. I'm hoping to buy them all if I can work out a good price. There is several different caliber. If I'm able to acquire them I'll get a list and pictures of them up here. Needless to say I'm excited!!!
sorry about your friend's father, but wow, that's cool. Def. need some pictures. I think about that with our collection (when my husband and I pass). Between the two of us we have a pretty big collection. Takes up 3 safes. We have no kids, I have no idea what to do with them. My husband says he's gonna be buried with them. :roll: I have a niece that has her LTC and I want a few of mine to go to her, but she won't want them all.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

We will pass ours in to our son. He likes to go shooting with me from time to time. But is not a gun nut like me. But we gotta do something with em when we go ... ..
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I'm not a big gun nut but I got ahold of Dad's old Mossberg model 40. Justa simple bolt action 22 but it's in pretty good shape. It should be fun to target shoot with the kids.
20230803_124254.jpg
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

I just bought a Remington 552.. 22 cal. It'll shoot 22short, 22 long, 22long rifle. It was made in 1967. Has a old Springfield armory scope on it.

It nothing special. But I like it and the price was great.
IMG_20230818_184213.jpg
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Had a chance to clean and then run about 100 rounds thru it this morning. Was a very good shooting rifle. Very happy to add this one to my safe.

Edit for spelling. Oh I was able to get this rifle for less than half of what they want for them on GunBroker. So that's definitely a win. 😊
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Wildcats wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:07 am Was a very good shooting rifle. Very happy to add this one to my safe.
Remington went from being the largest rifle manufacturer in North America (according to 2015 ATF statistics) to being $950 million in debt and filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in March 2018.

I have several Remingtons, they have all been good shooters. I have (2) Remington Nylon 22's; one I wish to trade up with, the scratched up one is an indispensable work tool that rides behind the truck seat.
My dad once keep kept 5 or 6 quality guns, the littlest of which was a Remington Model 241 Speedmaster. It looked much like your Remington 552 except for the magazine. That 241 Speedmaster was a cherry. I never realized that John Browning designed it or that it was a “take-down” until today though.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/obscu ... ter-rifle/
Omnia mea mecum porto
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

contrahead wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:37 pm
Wildcats wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:07 am Was a very good shooting rifle. Very happy to add this one to my safe.
Remington went from being the largest rifle manufacturer in North America (according to 2015 ATF statistics) to being $950 million in debt and filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in March 2018.

I have several Remingtons, they have all been good shooters. I have (2) Remington Nylon 22's; one I wish to trade up with, the scratched up one is an indispensable work tool that rides behind the truck seat.
My dad once keep kept 5 or 6 quality guns, the littlest of which was a Remington Model 241 Speedmaster. It looked much like your Remington 552 except for the magazine. That 241 Speedmaster was a cherry. I never realized that John Browning designed it or that it was a “take-down” until today though.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/obscu ... ter-rifle/
Nice article your have linked there. Now I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for any of these other Remington rifles.
The guy I bought it from, has several more guns to sell. I haven't seen them yet. He will be bringing some more of them by for me to look at next week. Said there is 7 more rifles and shotguns. Can't wait to see what all he has. Can't never have enough firearms.
Thanks for sharing your like of Remington as well sir.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Picked up another 98 mauser sporter. This one is chambered in 6mm remington. Has a set twin set trigger that will get seapped with the timmey from my 244 remington. And cheap barska scope will get replaced with a vintage 4-12 redfeild. Have 3 other mauser action to build yet then I’m done :sarcasm:
Have built
244 remington
6mm reminton
270 win
7mmx57
8x57
To build
257 roberts
6.5x57
9.5x57

Paul Mauser definitely built one of the best if not the best actions. Maybe not as accurate as a full custom action but most in good shape shoot better than most can.
Attachments
IMG_0515.jpeg
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

jedneck wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:20 am Picked up another 98 mauser sporter. This one is chambered in 6mm remington. Has a set twin set trigger that will get seapped with the timmey from my 244 remington. And cheap barska scope will get replaced with a vintage 4-12 redfeild. Have 3 other mauser action to build yet then I’m done :sarcasm:
Have built
244 remington
6mm reminton
270 win
7mmx57
8x57
To build
257 roberts
6.5x57
9.5x57

Paul Mauser definitely built one of the best if not the best actions. Maybe not as accurate as a full custom action but most in good shape shoot better than most can.
Nice rifle. My uncle is a Mauser guy. Has a huge collection. I hope to someday have some of his rifles.
Thanks for sharing this.