Fire starter pellets/slugs

Alcohol is an inexpensive, clean and renewable fuel source.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Fire starter pellets/slugs

Post by MooseMan »

Hi all.

I hope this is the correct part of the forum for this.

I'm not running to make fuel, but I am slowly accumulating product that is not drinkable and other than for clearing fluid and for sac runs, I want to use it for fuel purposes, but specifically, I'm looking to make fire lighters.

I have family that have a coal fire, and I also have 3 close friends that have wood stoves, so I'd like to make them some kind of compact, feints saturated pellets/slugs/blocks of some kind that they can just bury in the kindling and light.
I'd also use these for starting my BBQ and pizza oven.

Are there any already proven methods both for making something like this, and for storing it?
Make Booze, not War!
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fire starter pellets/slugs

Post by Steve Broady »

I would think you’d have to find a way to keep the alcohol from evaporating. The only things that come to mind are either storing them wet, perhaps in plastic bags, or stabilizing the alcohol in some kind of gel. Possibly make the world’s most disgusting chunky jello shooter?
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

You could soak some wood chips and then vacuum seal them in a bag. I don’t know how long they’d last but it’s not like it’s labor intensive. Give a couple bags to friends and family.

A mix of chips and shredded newspaper should make a decent fuel mulch.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Stonecutter wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:58 am You could soak some wood chips and then vacuum seal them in a bag. I don’t know how long they’d last but it’s not like it’s labor intensive. Give a couple bags to friends and family.

A mix of chips and shredded newspaper should make a decent fuel mulch.
Exhausting flammable vapor through a vacuum pump sounds risky to me.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

acfixer69 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:56 am
Exhausting flammable vapor through a vacuum pump sounds risky to me.
Very true :shock:
No bueno
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Coming from a coalburner. Forget gel/pellets/slugs. Give em a bag of charcoal and jar of heads. By far easiest way to light coal fire
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

jedneck wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:48 pm Coming from a coalburner. Forget gel/pellets/slugs. Give em a bag of charcoal and jar of heads. By far easiest way to light coal fire
Ok, so I guess the KISS principle rules again then, thanks jedneck.

I'll do just what you say and give them a bottle with a big warning attached. I have some real robust aluminium bottles that used to contain IPA that would be perfect.
Make Booze, not War!
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Soak spend teabags in fores. Or you could try pumice stone. But you need to store it in a glass bottel. Just make sure those who recieve it understand how flamable it is.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
lest1
Novice

Post by lest1 »

I have a glass bottle with dried used tea bags soaking in foreshots i use
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Tea bags, genius!

I could put them in a small kilner jar too, so would be easy to get in and out, and a nice safe container.

Yes I'd have to be very clear that they are to be put into a dead fire for starting only. I've seen first hand what adding flammables to live ashes can do!
Make Booze, not War!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

If you want to make fire starter from your heads. I'd suggest making fire starter GEL. You can make it with eggshells, vinegar, and ethanol. There are plenty of how to videos online.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:22 am If you want to make fire starter from your heads. I'd suggest making fire starter GEL. You can make it with eggshells, vinegar, and ethanol. There are plenty of how to videos online.
I'll admit I've not even looked online yet, I'd much rather speak directly to people like yourselves and get genuine answers based on first hand experience.
But I'll go looking for that, thanks!
Make Booze, not War!
drmiller100
Rumrunner

Post by drmiller100 »

Alcohol is a poor solution for this. The vapors are too combustible.
I'd recommend diesel or kerosene.
Now I know how you claim azeo so easy, it's based on a meat thermometer. :lol:
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

It’ll evaporate if you try to soak something with it for later use. I keep a fuel can of “fire starter” feints and simply pour some on my fuel source to help with ignition. It gets wood and coal going no problem. Use a taper though to light it as it will ignite aggressively
Hevda
Novice

Post by Hevda »

Looks quite simple to make the gel. I'm gonna try it.

bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

You may have to do another "feints run" in order to get your abv high enough. From what I've read, your mixture won't burn very well if your alcohol ABV is less than 90%. I'm not saying it WON'T burn, it just sounds like it won't burn as efficiently. What I've done is taken a 1 gallon paint can and a roll of paper towel. I cut the roll in half which is just enough to fit inside the can snugly (I use brawny paper towels in their large rolls so they're a VERY tight fit.), then I soak the roll in feints (the higher ABV the better) and then I use them as camp stoves or garage heaters. You'd be amazed at how effective 2 of those heaters are in a 2 car garage!

Just additional ideas for you to consider.
You could also use the small pint cans for catering-style burners for smaller scale applications.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

bcook608 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:28 am I use them as camp stoves or garage heaters. You'd be amazed at how effective 2 of those heaters are in a 2 car garage!

You could also use the small pint cans for catering-style burners for smaller scale applications.
A roll or two, or three or four if using toilet paper roles, stacked up in a pumpkin makes for an awesome flaming pumpkin for Halloween. I soak them in a paint can of feints them put them in the pumpkin. Will shoot up flames about 3 ft high. Add a few coffee creamer fire balls and it is a real hit with the kids and the older closet pyros.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

I only light my outside fire bucket a couple of times a week in Winter so I don’t require much. But I collect the lint out of the clothes dryer. It rolls up into small cotton balls which I store in a jar soaked in fores/ heads. Works a treat.
Or just buy cotton balls?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Archee72, It seems as though you are using the clothes dryer too much;
that lint is the nap off your clothes!

Geoff
The Baker
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

My wife uses the dryer too much 😂
But at least I found a use for the lint but 🙂
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

subbrew wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:22 am
bcook608 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:28 am I use them as camp stoves or garage heaters. You'd be amazed at how effective 2 of those heaters are in a 2 car garage!

A roll or two, or three or four if using toilet paper roles, stacked up in a pumpkin makes for an awesome flaming pumpkin for Halloween. I soak them in a paint can of feints them put them in the pumpkin. Will shoot up flames about 3 ft high. Add a few coffee creamer fire balls and it is a real hit with the kids and the older closet pyros.
Haa subbrew , they might have linched you fir doing that back in 2021😁……. Oh the waste
TwoHedWlf
Novice

Post by TwoHedWlf »

Bit of an old thread, but since winter is coming up i've been thinking about this. I'm thinking of getting a pack of small plastic catering sauce containers. You can get something like 100 of them for $10. Then stuff them full of cottonballs(To stop any sloshing/spillage) and fill with feints. I *THINK* they seal well enough and will be alcohol resistant enough.

Worth a test anyway.

I've used methanol in the containers on its own and it worked really well, but major spillage risk. The container doesn't burn except above the fuel level so it stays relatively contained.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

TwoHedWlf wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:56 pm Bit of an old thread, but since winter is coming up i've been thinking about this. I'm thinking of getting a pack of small plastic catering sauce containers. You can get something like 100 of them for $10. Then stuff them full of cottonballs(To stop any sloshing/spillage) and fill with feints. I *THINK* they seal well enough and will be alcohol resistant enough.

Worth a test anyway.

I've used methanol in the containers on its own and it worked really well, but major spillage risk. The container doesn't burn except above the fuel level so it stays relatively contained.
Sound like a plastic / safety issue to me.
quadra
Bootlegger

Post by quadra »

I have a Woodstove that I tinder my kindling with dry pine needles raked up during the fall.. a big green bag or two next to the wood pile lasts all winter. I keep an old dish soap bottle of heads by the stove and when the dry ingredients are stacked I hit it with a couple ounces of heads..give it a second to soak into the needles and ash bed and it lights off perfectly every time. I use the same bottle in the summer for my pellets and charcoal grilling. Vacuum sealers use a hot wire to melt a seal on the plastic and that is the last place I would want to have high proof distillate.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

TwoHedWlf said, 'I've used methanol in the containers on its own'.

I think you would mean 'feints'.
The idea that the first liquid off the still is methanol has been discredited for a long time now.

Incidentally my son used to buy 205 litre drums of actual methanol when he was making diesel from used fryer fat.
Had to be very careful, it's poisonous and can be absorbed through the skin.

Geoff
The Baker
TwoHedWlf
Novice

Post by TwoHedWlf »

The Baker wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:21 am TwoHedWlf said, 'I've used methanol in the containers on its own'.

The idea that the first liquid off the still is methanol has been discredited for a long time now.
I'm no expert, but I think the first liquid out of the jug labeled "Methanol" used for RC plane fuel probably is not feints. :lol:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

TwoHedWlf wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:31 am
The Baker wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:21 am TwoHedWlf said, 'I've used methanol in the containers on its own'.

I'm no expert, but I think the first liquid out of the jug labeled "Methanol" used for RC plane fuel probably is not feints. :lol:
Sorry TwoHedWld , but Geoff is right.We all used to think that Methanol was the stuff in the first jar , but it has been proven using Gas Spectrometry that Methanol does not all come out in the first jar , but rather continually throughout the run .

However , that first jar is what we call foreeshots and contains Acetone and other nasty shit . As you say , probably great for running you model airplane.

But don’t get hung up on Methanol . So long as there is more Ethanol in your body ,your Kidneys will happily piss it out instead of metabolising it into Methanoic Acid .It’s this that fucks you up.
SW_Shiner
Novice

Post by SW_Shiner »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:11 pm

Sorry TwoHedWld , but Geoff is right.We all used to think that Methanol was the stuff in the first jar , but it has been proven using Gas Spectrometry that Methanol does not all come out in the first jar , but rather continually throughout the run .

However , that first jar is what we call foreeshots and contains Acetone and other nasty shit . As you say , probably great for running you model airplane.

But don’t get hung up on Methanol . So long as there is more Ethanol in your body ,your Kidneys will happily piss it out instead of metabolising it into Methanoic Acid .It’s this that fucks you up.
I believe he was talking about using store bought methanol, hence the certainty that what was coming out of the jug labeled methanol was in fact, methanol.
TwoHedWlf
Novice

Post by TwoHedWlf »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:11 pm

I guess I need to go back to the hobby shop I bought the components for making nitro engine fuel and complain that they sold me feints instead of methanol. :D
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

MooseMan wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:54 am Hi all.

I hope this is the correct part of the forum for this.

I'm not running to make fuel, but I am slowly accumulating product that is not drinkable and other than for clearing fluid and for sac runs, I want to use it for fuel purposes, but specifically, I'm looking to make fire lighters.

I have family that have a coal fire, and I also have 3 close friends that have wood stoves, so I'd like to make them some kind of compact, feints saturated pellets/slugs/blocks of some kind that they can just bury in the kindling and light.
I'd also use these for starting my BBQ and pizza oven.

Are there any already proven methods both for making something like this, and for storing it?
We use Tea Bags - once used - dry them and soak in heads - works a treat
Supply our off the grid neighbours and they love them

For a less sloppy option, you can also get dry porous softwood, like poplar or willow and soak that - takes longer though
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!