new condenser

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

googe
retired

new condenser

Post by googe »

Hey all, started a new condenser lastnight. Don't really know if you'd call it a shotie or a liebig. Will be a pc, copper nickle exterior, normal copper innards. 3 inch, 1 inch and 1/2 inch. I know most will say 3 1/2' inners wont knock down enough, but we'll wait and see i guess. Note, not to length. Post more pics over the weekend.
Attachments
DSC_0345-1.jpg
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
googe
retired

Re: new condenser

Post by googe »

t's essentially a 3 short liebigs in a shotgun configuration. The little tubes coming out the side of the end pieces are the inlet and outlet Ports for coolent. The coolent flows into the bottom reservoir, up through the 1' tube into the top reservoir and out the port. The 1/2' goes right through the centre as any liebig does. The plate on its own at the top is the connecting furrelle for the still. Not sure what to do withe output end yet, maybe a clamp on reducer, just for some more steam punk fun. hope I explained that ok?. Sorry theres not more pics, cant get them any smaller so the site wont accept them :roll:
Attachments
DSC_0356-1.jpg
DSC_0359-1.jpg
"Homer J Simpson"
YHB

Post by YHB »

Googe

I do not post as often as I should, but I always enjoy your contributions, this is no exception.

Multiple liebergs, the same advantages as a shotgun but saving the need for a large diameter tube - I like it.
Snapperhead
Novice

Post by Snapperhead »

Thats awesome Googe
Such a cool idea, and the cupro nickel looks swish, You have access to some great materials.
My hat goes off to you sir.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Thanks YHB, appreciate the feed back. Never really thought about it that way, good for people that can't afford large tube but have scrap stuff laying around, this is all from off cuts from other builds. Thanks snapperhead, have to agree the copper buckle stuff looks good polished up, it's got a stainless look when ya see it in the flesh. It's really easy to work with to, strong, great to solder too. It's used in the marine industry mostly for it anti.corrosive properties. I'd contact some boat builders or ship yards in nz if your looking for some. Only prob is it can't be used in contact with vapors. Couple more pics I managed to resize.
Attachments
DSC_24.png
DSC_0355-2_01.png
"Homer J Simpson"
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I gotta say I like it. WOW! Good job. How long are your 3/4 inch pieces for the cooler? What is the buckle (the larger piece that the copper went through)? Is it an endcap? Would you do one of these as a precondencer on that column?

Because of the post name new condenser I almost didn't open this post. I am glad it did!
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Thanks mate, the 3/4' is about 450mm long. The end (buckle) reservoir is a piece of 3' with copper plates welded into it. I was going to.use end caps but there bloody expensive here and wanted it made cheap from scrap I had so if it didn't work I hadn't wasited money. yes, I'm starting a small one for an rc next week. Should look cool when it's done. Just curious why you nearly didn't.look because.of.the title?.
"Homer J Simpson"
Snapperhead
Novice

Post by Snapperhead »

Dude, you easily have the skills to do the metal shaping like my build. From all the innovative ideas you come up with, you are on to it. I am lucky that I have a massive burner to anneal large pieces very quickly, which has helped make it easier. I want Cupro nickle in my build now after seeing this little gem.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

+1 skilled for sure. the 3/4 is a little larger than it looks. NICE
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Thanks snapperhead, your to kind.mate :thumbup: it's called cunni copper if your looking for it mate. . There's some confusion sorry halfbaked, it's 1' like I said in the.original post :) .
"Homer J Simpson"
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Was looking for a certain old thread but couldnt find it! but found this one id totally forgot about, man i loved this condenser, think i want to make another one haha
"Homer J Simpson"
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Nice . Nats dick off Ten years ago .
You did some good stuff googe.
I remembered drooling over that nickel copper Condenser when you posted it over at Empty’s .

Do you still have it ?
Was there ever any issues with the soldering … Different metal expansion crap .
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Thanks for updating the post fun to reread!
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Definitely a good read. I haven't seen this before. I like it .
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Bet you've got some good old stuff in your old threads to yummy!! From memory that nickle stuff soldered great. I ditched all my copper when I moved here. Yeah good fun bushman, theres some awesome old posts I found when lurking back! Cheers wildcats.
"Homer J Simpson"