Good Results with Safbrew T-58

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Johnnywhiskey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Good Results with Safbrew T-58

Post by Johnnywhiskey »

I've been experimenting with some different yeasts for my bourbon recipe and have had some great results with Safbrew T-58. Fermentis describes it as "Specialty yeast selected for its estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavor development." The yeast added a nice subtle orange / clove, slightly peppery flavor to my white dog, which I am currently aging. I would highly suggest it for anyone interested in making a fruity / estery whiskey.

But here is the kicker, T-58 is a fermentation beast. It is fast and ferments very dry. At my relatively modest garage temperature ~70F, the yeast will chew through an 1.062 mash, down to less than 1.000 in 4 days. I only have time for my hobbies on the weekend, so its pretty handy to be able to mash one weekend, and distill the next. I've never had T-58 fermentation hang on me either--it has always gone fast until it is done.

Stay Thirsty, JW
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Good Results with Safbrew T-58

Post by bilgriss »

I've always steered clear of yeasts with really strong flavor profiles such as T-58, except when I'm brewing a beer that specifically calls for that flavor. How pronounced is the pepper / "belgian" contribution in your finished product? Glad to hear you like it. It's definitely a strong, fast fermenter.
Johnnywhiskey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Johnnywhiskey »

The peppery-ness was pretty low. Overall I think the fruity-orange and clove was stronger, but not overwhelming. After some time in a barrel those flavors will definitely take a backseat to the oak. It is fairly easy to control the flavor contribution through selecting cuts. The orange and pepper came out in the heads and beginning of the hearts and the cloves in the end of the hearts and the tails. The hearts center cut had just a touch of esters in it, similar to using an English Ale yeast, or other yeast that was not entirely neutral.

I guess I'll see how it works out after aging, but there are definitely some fine bourbons out there that have pretty strong ester profiles--I'm thinking of Four Roses small batch and single barrel and Wild Turkey Rare Breed.
Shiny Coke
Swill Maker

Post by Shiny Coke »

Interesting. Responded to watch how this plays out after aging. Keep us posted!
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Johnnywhiskey wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:41 am The peppery-ness was pretty low. Overall I think the fruity-orange and clove was stronger, but not overwhelming. After some time in a barrel those flavors will definitely take a backseat to the oak. It is fairly easy to control the flavor contribution through selecting cuts. The orange and pepper came out in the heads and beginning of the hearts and the cloves in the end of the hearts and the tails. The hearts center cut had just a touch of esters in it, similar to using an English Ale yeast, or other yeast that was not entirely neutral.

I guess I'll see how it works out after aging, but there are definitely some fine bourbons out there that have pretty strong ester profiles--I'm thinking of Four Roses small batch and single barrel and Wild Turkey Rare Breed.
Well I’m thinking about getting some of this T-58 to make a bourbon with. How did it turn out for you JW?

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

I'm doing a 3d ferment on a peated single malt with this exact yeast. Too soon to tell what the spirit run will yield, but I can attest it ferments fast. The peat smell is overwhelming after the strip runs but that will calm down to let the other aromatics come through. Hope to be able to run those low wines soon.
Johnnywhiskey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Johnnywhiskey »

8Ball wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:13 pm
Johnnywhiskey wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:41 am The peppery-ness was pretty low. Overall I think the fruity-orange and clove was stronger, but not overwhelming. After some time in a barrel those flavors will definitely take a backseat to the oak. It is fairly easy to control the flavor contribution through selecting cuts. The orange and pepper came out in the heads and beginning of the hearts and the cloves in the end of the hearts and the tails. The hearts center cut had just a touch of esters in it, similar to using an English Ale yeast, or other yeast that was not entirely neutral.

Well I’m thinking about getting some of this T-58 to make a bourbon with. How did it turn out for you JW?

🎱
Very timely comment. I bottled this about a month ago, and am drinking it now. It spent 3 years in a 5g Barrel Mill barrel. The barrel entry was 115p and dumping proof was 135p. So it's oaky, but still very drinkable, especially after watering down to 95p. On the nose it's dominated by the oak--wood and vanilla, and just a touch of sweetness and just a bit of orange. Just smelling it, I could almost think it was an old fashioned made with orange bitters.

Upon tasting, the flavor of the orange hits first, momentary. The mid flavor is a balance of candied orange, spice (cloves, pepper and a little nutmeg and cinnamon) and increasing oak flavor. The tail end is oily oaky sweet with diminishing orange and spicy flavors.

I've got some of the barrel proof spirit left too. The barrel proof is a real powerhouse of oakyness and I'll need to drink some more to unpack.

As far as using T-58, take the tasting notes with a grain of salt. It's hard to say what flavors came from the yeast. The orange flavor was interesting given that this was a wheated bourbon, and I usually associate that flavor with rye bourbons. But I'd still say T-58 is a great yeast, if nothing more than its aggressive nature and the fact you can get it as a dry yeast.

Stay Thirsty, JW
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Thanks JW, I have some on order. Looking forward to my own results.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Its temperature is 15-20°C (59-68°F) which is exactly where my basement lies.
I have so damn many yeasts in the fridge that I'm "going to get to," that I can only bookmark this page for now.
Appreciate the tip.
Nanacooks
Novice

Post by Nanacooks »

I just pitched the T58 on a banana wine. I’ve got some fresh going with kv1116, this one I roasted the bananas to caramelize them and activate the enzymes at like 160. Added lemon zest and a couple of vanilla bean pieces split, and brown sugar in 5 gallons. OG is 1060. Just pitched tonight, will see how it comes out with time. Definitely looking for a light summer supper with the 1116 and something more dessert/ cold winterish with the cooked. I’ll oak some and keep some without. Thinking about the T58 for a banana brandy too. Maybe a wheat, barley, banana mash.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I ran batch of 21% rye bourbon fermented with T-58 that's been in a badmo barrel since February of 2022. The stuff I put in a jar on a toasted and charred oak stick has sampled to be pretty darn good. I have no intention of breaking the seal on the badmo barrel for at least another 18 months, so I guess "time will tell".
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.