Running various unknown stripping runs....

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Running various unknown stripping runs....

Post by welly »

I think this is more of a should I rather than could I question.

I've been collecting jars of various sugar washes (usually using brown/raw cane sugar) which haven't been quite enough to run on their own in my still. I'm probably up to quantity although clever clogs here failed to label some of the jars. So basically they could be anything - but I'm assuming they're probably stripping runs from molasses or cane sugar runs.

Obviously I "could" run them - what's the worst that could happen? - but should I? Probably looking for validation more than anything!

Does anyone else run a bit of mixed bag collection of spirits and what kind of result do you get?

Cheers!
zed255
Distiller

Re: Running various unknown stripping runs....

Post by zed255 »

Run it. Sounds like it could be a light rum.

I'm sitting on a mix of whiskey and brandy feints with some rum low wines. Should be interesting when I get to it.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Would you rather look at the collection of jars labeled “???”, or a collection jar labeled as “low wines”?

Run them. At least you’ll remove 60-70% of the water from them.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

if it's a mix of sugars and molasses I guess it'll be a rum. If there's some grains worked into it you might think of it as a rumski...

Run it!

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Run it. Might be the best you ever had.
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

Wildcats wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:06 am Run it. Might be the best you ever had.
And the best I'll never be able to repeat!

I'm going to run it this weekend.
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:45 am Would you rather look at the collection of jars labeled “???”, or a collection jar labeled as “low wines”?

Run them. At least you’ll remove 60-70% of the water from them.
ss
You're not wrong! What's the worst that can happen.. it could end up being tasty.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

welly wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:14 am
So basically they could be anything -

Could they be the output of cleaning runs ?

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

greggn wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:32 am
welly wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:14 am
So basically they could be anything -

Could they be the output of cleaning runs ?
Definitely not that. I always just chuck my cleaning runs. But had to think about that one!
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

welly wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:14 am I think this is more of a should I rather than could I question.

I've been collecting jars of various sugar washes (usually using brown/raw cane sugar) which haven't been quite enough to run on their own in my still. I'm probably up to quantity although clever clogs here failed to label some of the jars. So basically they could be anything - but I'm assuming they're probably stripping runs from molasses or cane sugar runs.

Obviously I "could" run them - what's the worst that could happen? - but should I? Probably looking for validation more than anything!

Does anyone else run a bit of mixed bag collection of spirits and what kind of result do you get?

Cheers!
I run a bit of a mix of stripped stuff as I'm always experimenting with something, but through a reflux setup so it all comes out clean.

If you only have the option of running it through a pot setup, why not?!
Worst thing that can happen is you don't like it, so water it back down and run again and it will be cleaner?
Make Booze, not War!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you have room in the still, add some fresh rum wash.
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

NZChris wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:22 pm If you have room in the still, add some fresh rum wash.
Yeah, I can definitely make room and it'll probably help ensure the elements are covered. Might add a litre or two of the rum wash I've got on the go now. Good tip, thanks!
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

Just further to this, would you run it as it is - mix all the different spirits together and just do a spirit run from it or do another stripping run with them all combined? I've also got about 2 litres of feints from a rum batch which I could throw in. That with some fresh rum wash would probably give me about 15L into the still.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

how much volume is in all the mixed jars?, what abv is it?
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

googe wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:50 am how much volume is in all the mixed jars?, what abv is it?
Alright, so got the following:

3L at 43.4%
2L (or a little bit under) at 28.2%
2L (or a little bit under) at 42.7%
5L (or a little bit under) at 53.4%
2.5L feints jar at 43.1%

So about 14.5L in total - give or take (more take) 500ml. I've not mixed them yet. Apart from the feints jars, these are the results of stripping runs (I don't remember why one of them has a much lower ABV - I suspect this was the end of the run). The feints is from a different batch, I'm pretty sure. I think the others are probably the result of one or possibly two different alcohols that I ran through the still. One a molasses wash, the other a brown/cane sugar wash.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I would mix all of the jars AND mix the feints in, dilute if needed and run it, depending the size of your still you could have enough for 2-3 spirit runs. I think there is a good chance you will surprised how good it will turn out. Some of my best whiskey runs have been feint runs.
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

Boda Getta wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:44 am I would mix all of the jars AND mix the feints in, dilute if needed and run it, depending the size of your still you could have enough for 2-3 spirit runs. I think there is a good chance you will surprised how good it will turn out. Some of my best whiskey runs have been feint runs.
Cheers BG! I shall do this. Will have to find a container big enough to mix them all in but that's easily solved. I'll take a ABV reading and then dilute with spring water to 40% if it's above that, add a litre or so of fresh rum wash then run it all as a spirit run.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I would try and use the fresh wash to dilute it. Try and keep those flavours concentrated.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

NormandieStill wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:15 am I would try and use the fresh wash to dilute it. Try and keep those flavours concentrated.
Ok, I can do that instead. We've got pretty good water around here. Cheers!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Don’t use water if you want flavor. That’s a trick best used for making neutral.
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

Oh sorry, read fresh wash as water. Right, gotcha. Dilute with the rum wash not water 👍
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

BTW, 40% isn't a Low Wines ABV to be aimed for for a rum spirit run, as it's far too high. I aim for around 24-27% to get me a heart cut close enough to barrel strength that I seldom have to add water before aging.
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

Yeah, I don't think I ran them long enough. They've been sat around for a little while and have since done some reading. Next batch will be better, I'm still in my early years of this hobby 🙂 I feel like progress is being made each batch!

Cheers Chris, appreciate the advice!
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

NZChris wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:22 pm If you have room in the still, add some fresh rum wash.
Just wanted to check - when you say "fresh rum wash" are you talking about before fermentation? Obviously diluting with 6-7% fermented wash will dilute these jars of spirit but not as much as an unfermented wash. Is it possible to dilute with some of the fermented wash or better to make up a new batch and use some of that before pitching the yeast?

Thanks!
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

welly wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:24 am
Just wanted to check - when you say "fresh rum wash" are you talking about before fermentation? Obviously diluting with 6-7% fermented wash will dilute these jars of spirit but not as much as an unfermented wash. Is it possible to dilute with some of the fermented wash or better to make up a new batch and use some of that before pitching the yeast?

Thanks!
A fully fermented wash would be preferred! :)
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Well if you had time to run it over the weekend... How did it turn out?
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

LordL wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:11 am
welly wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:24 am

Thanks!
A fully fermented wash would be preferred! :)
Makes sense now I think about it!
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

Wildcats wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:37 am Well if you had time to run it over the weekend... How did it turn out?
Not yet! My rum wash is still bubbling away so will see how we go this weekend!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Putting unfermented wash in the boiler with Low Wines sounds like a really bad idea.

At the end of a series of ferments, I hold some wash back to use for the spirit run and/or reprocessing the feints.
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

So I ran this collection of stripping runs last night - I ended up adding about 3L of wash from my Buccaneer Bob's wash that I'll be doing a stripping run this weekend (or possibly tonight). The distillates together ended up a bit over 60% which makes me think my measurements above were incorrect. Anyway, 3L of wash brought them down to low 30s % so ran that and have ended up with around 4-6L hearts (I'll know tomorrow when I start blending). I ran it to just below 50% as time was pressing on and it was getting late.

Had a bit of a puke to start with - the still was a little fuller than I'd have liked, probably around 18L in a 20L still and luckily I had a sight glass between the boiler and the condenser otherwise I'd not have caught it. So the heads were a bit off colour (yellow) but by the time I'd got to hearts, it was crystal clear. A bit of a learning experience, all useful stuff to refer back to! I actually have some anti-foam and why I didn't add a couple of capfuls I don't know.. was probably rushing a bit in my eagerness to get cracking!

I might re-run the still today and see if I can get some additional spirit which I may/may not use or perhaps I'll just leave it as it is and just use the hearts. I'm still only 4 batches in so I'm not precious about keeping everything.

Tasting the spirit as it came off the still, I thought it tasted excellent. I'm sure it'll be the best rum I've ever made that I'll never be able to recreate. Also came to the conclusion that the parrot is not that useful. I guess it's another tool but definitely not something to be relied on and only a guide.

Also discovered I think I'm taking too small cuts for the volume I'm running through the still. I started off taking 150ml cuts and found you just need far too many jars and it's probably a bit too "granular" so I'm going to go with 250ml to start with and 500ml as I get to the hearts. Maybe even bigger.

Anyway, another school day.. as useful as reading about this stuff is (and it is!), you certainly learn more in the doing or at least you get those "Ah ha!" moments in the doing. Will be looking forward to blending the cuts and I think I might even have enough spirit to finally fill my BadMo barrel.
Last edited by welly on Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.