Cornflakes whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sjavierdu
Novice

Re: Cornflakes whiskey

Post by sjavierdu »

Good morning, in a few days I will proceed to make the first preparation that is not Gin and it will be based on this recipe.

I have a 50L equipment and 60L fermenters, so I will start from these volumes.

my queries are:
the pH to obtain in the mash is 5.2. When in some posts they talk about pH 4, I imagine it is final, no?

Does the first generation, which I have no backset, require boiling the corn? I always understood that it was already pre-gelatinized, when I made Mexican lager I did not precook it.

Is there a problem using saf05 if I don't get a more neutral yeast or one similar to distillations? I have a lot of this yeast at the brewery. If not, it takes one more day and I get a suitable one or buy bread yeast.

Thank for the answer.

Javier
sjavierdu
Novice

Post by sjavierdu »

Sorry for the questions, the truth is that I began to study the method of making rum and I find that despite living in a country where sugar is abundant, molasses is not so much, at least at a good price, availability outside of the provinces where it is grown. This is how reading led me, without wanting to read more and more about making moonshine, whiskey or the like, more than I have a brewery and I have plenty of resources for this hobbie.

The truth is that I read a lot and at the same time, also many sweats that were urging me, see some here. During the night I read more bibliography and watched some videos and resolved most of the doubts :)

I am left only because of the cooking of the kellogs, I have seen in the documentation that they are pre-gelatinized and that is where my doubt comes from
Greetings and next week I will start with this recipe.
Sjavierdu
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

sjavierdu wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:29 am I am left only because of the cooking of the kellogs, I have seen in the documentation that they are pre-gelatinized and that is where my doubt comes from
Hi there. No you do not need to cook the corn flakes in this recipe. As you note they are pre-gelatinized and I don’t cook mine when I make this.

Some have said they cook to get more flavor, but I was happy with what I got without. I do pour my simple syrup over the flakes while still hot though because, why not.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

sjavierdu wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:29 am Sorry for the questions, the truth is that I began to study the method of making rum and I find that despite living in a country where sugar is abundant, molasses is not so much, at least at a good price, availability outside of the provinces where it is grown.
Check for demerera or turbinado sugar in your area. In the U.S. this is unprocessed sugar -- the molasses is still in it & very similar pricing. Hopefully you find the same.

I made a tequila recently using demerera & it definitely has some rum characteristics to it.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Royalwulf
Novice

Post by Royalwulf »

Looking for your thoughts
I have a 2nd gen cornflakes whiskey which I made as a "1.5" distillation. Distilled one run then added the low wines to a second run. Then put it with oak for 7 months.
I also have a 3rd gen that was not 1.5 rather i distilled half to low wines then second half to low wines then ran a spirit run with both. It has been with oak for just over 3 months.
Gen 2 tastes significantly better than 3rd gen. Is that because it has been in oak longer or 1.5 distillation?
What are your thoughts?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Give your second example sufficient oak-aging time to improve. As a true double-distillation, it will give you a different product from your two examples. A series of double distillations will provide the opportunity to develop your skill at making cuts. Longer aging time makes a big difference.

Once you are ready to tackle an all-grain corn mash, the process is a bit more involved, but the results are spectacular.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Royalwulf wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:20 pm Looking for your thoughts
I have a 2nd gen cornflakes whiskey which I made as a "1.5" distillation. Distilled one run then added the low wines to a second run. Then put it with oak for 7 months.
I also have a 3rd gen that was not 1.5 rather i distilled half to low wines then second half to low wines then ran a spirit run with both. It has been with oak for just over 3 months.
Gen 2 tastes significantly better than 3rd gen. Is that because it has been in oak longer or 1.5 distillation?
What are your thoughts?
What do you mean by “better”? I think the 1.5 carried over more edgy grain flavor, much of which is at the edge of tails and a little “chalky” in this recipe from my memory early on. The oak will contribute a lot to the flavor during aging though, so if it’s the sweetness, vanilla and spice you are liking versus the grain funkiness then it’s the time on oak probably.

I did mine sounds like the same as you and preferred the gen 1&2 1.5 over the gen 3 double but probably not a fair compare because I did different oaking between them. Gen 1&2 was on a domino in glass and I put my gen 3 into a little 2L barrel which imparted a ton of tannins that made it a bit too spicy and hot hence the reason for a different taste profile. I haven’t dipped back into them recently to compare now that they are hitting around two years (traveling right now so can’t pull them out), but will when I get a chance.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Royalwulf
Novice

Post by Royalwulf »

Thanks for your replies
I will leave gen 3 on oak for a good while yet.
Better? There was daylight between the two, I am using domino's for both
JustinNZ
Swill Maker

Post by JustinNZ »

I just bottled my 9-month-old and I’m really impressed. Nice, rich, mellow mouth-feel and (mild) sweet-corny-smokey-oaky flavours. Drinkable as a sipper. Doesn’t hit you in the face like a big, beautiful all-grain but still a good drop. Cheers!

Aged in glass with 10g per Litre of lightly-charred, med-toasted, well-seasoned US oak. Proofed to 43% abv.
JustinNZ
Swill Maker

Post by JustinNZ »

Best feedback I’ve ever seen. From my bother, yesterday.
Attachments
B6438A27-2859-4FC6-B31F-BD52FD5C1B24.jpeg
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

I'll be sure to mention that to Mrs Moose!
Make Booze, not War!
dyel
Novice

Post by dyel »

have anyone tried this but using semolina instead? search yielded no results for me
guess I'll give it a try this weekend :think: