AMA mill modification

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

AMA mill modification

Post by greggn »

Sometimes a guy just needs his wife to leave town for a few days in order to get serious work done.

I've always hated this rotating cover plate: difficult to find under a load of grain, difficult to clean underneath, and is largely ineffective at preventing blow-back at the end of the run ...

mill_before.jpg

... so I drilled it out and ran in some random screw. Now I can sweep the last kernels down the chute without it being a skills test. I just invert a bottle into the chute to close it off.

Do remove the hopper before drilling in order to prevent metal shavings from entering the motor.

mill_after.jpg

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: AMA mill modification

Post by Deplorable »

I suppose that works as well or better than screwing a handle to the tab on the cover that extends past the level of the grain.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:29 pm I suppose that works as well or better than screwing a handle to the tab on the cover that extends past the level of the grain.

Finding the cover below a load of grain, to open it to start milling, was just one issue. The one I truly wanted to solve was the game I call "Reverse Whack-a-Mole."

Because the bottom of the hopper is NOT dished, the last few handfuls of grain just dance around the bottom surface. So, the end of the run has me frantically trying to sweep those stragglers down the chute before the stack of grain above the hammer clears and I get a shotgun blast of grain back in the face.

I acknowledge that this is a minor inconvenience but it's one of those things that after so many times of saying "WTF ?" you just need to do something.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

I have the same mill. I’d be concerned about not being able to control feed rate of some grains. That coupled with being able to close it before the shotgun blast to the face I’ll leave mine. You could have extended the tab and cut a slot in the bottom of the hopper. That way the tab extended to the outside of the mill to be adjusted easily.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I don't own one of these but often wish I did. The fact that the hopper bottom isn't cone shaped baffles my mind.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Same mill here too.

Blasted in the face ? Digging under the grains ?

I fill the chute, flip her on, and then full the hopper till its mounded up. I also avoid sticking my face/eyes near anything that is grinding or smashing :think:

No digging, no blasting, no issues. It would be nicer if the hopper was coned.
Prairiepiss wrote: Good thing we aren't bound by rules. And we can make it however we want. With whatever we want. As long as we don't talk to much about it in the open.
DAD300 wrote: And...ferment more and more often, always have something ready to distill.