Critique my method, please

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

venkman
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Critique my method, please

Post by venkman »

Steve, as another guy who's fairly new to this hobby, I really appreciated this thread. Thanks to all the fellas here who are willing to share wisdom and experience.

I've read thread after thread on the nuances of reflux distillation but I've struggled to find some nuanced information on the basics of a pot still spirit run in one nice spot. Info on getting a good temperature gradient on the product condenser for instance; first I've found that info.

I'm about to make my first big AG spirit run. I've got 12 gallons of low wines sitting at 38.5% abv, waiting to run. I want to be sure I do a good job. I'm just here trying my hand and willing and eager to learn.

Looking at your other posts, seems you aren't too far from me geographically. Let me know if you have any interest in getting together and talking distillation!
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Re: Critique my method, please

Post by Renhoekk »

Steve Broady wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:43 pm.
I added about a gallon of water to bring it down close to 20%. The logic is based on a thread which I cannot now find, which discussed proofing low winded down to that level and the resulting improvement in quality. I don’t know if it makes a difference, but it certainly doesn’t seem to hurt.
Hi Steve - this is a technique to reduce fusel oils. The extra water causes some of the higher alcohols to drop out of solution, making them less likely to come over in distillation. This is desirable if you want to make a very clean spirit like a vodka - but if you’re making brown spirits it will cost you some flavour.