Mould on the top of my rum dunder

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Mould on the top of my rum dunder

Post by welly »

Hey all

Throw or keep? Won't be using for a little while but what do you reckon?
IMG_3744.jpeg
Cheers!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Mould on the top of my rum dunder

Post by NZChris »

Decide when you want to use it.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Mine had mold for quite some time. It still smelled very creamy and sweet. After about a year it went bad terrible smell. I never took care of it ,just let it sit. I made a few dunder runs before I pitched it. There's a few.post on maintaining and balancing ph I believe.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
MrMeatSweats
Novice

Post by MrMeatSweats »

Mine has a solid cap of white mold. Like thiccc. I’ve used it several times. One of my hobbies is fungi, and my unprofessional opinion is that what you have doesn’t look dangerous to me. I wouldn’t add any dunder to a finished product though. I’ve tried every way of doing it and my go to way now is to add the dunder to the results of the stripping run and let it sit a day or two and then run it again. No mold can withstand alcohol and boiling temps, so even if it was bad, you’ll live. I actually use my heads as a sanitizer for growing mushrooms, kills mold good.
I have a 6 gallon Dunder jug with 5 gallons of dunder in it and a spout near the bottom. I only use a quart at a time, but every time I make rum, I drain a gallon or two off and add the same amount of hot dunder to the top. I used to have all kinds of nasty looking mold, but now that I do that, the boiling dunder has killed all the bad stuff and now only that thick white cap grows. Oh and it smells like an old barn. But in a good way…?