Caution Plastics envolved making Raicilla

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tōtōchtin

Caution Plastics envolved making Raicilla

Post by Tōtōchtin »

The shed
The shed
Pulling mash from boiler
Pulling mash from boiler
Sealing paste
Sealing paste
Still and head
Still and head
Tools
Tools
I was able to help a friend out for a day making some mighty fine Raicilla. This family has been using this still for decades. I imagine there is some intense flavors locked up in that tree trunk. They crush the used mash to make a sealing paste. Usually the lyne arm is made of rolled up agave leaves that was removed from the pit. This batch is heading for the gringos who didn't want any smokey flavor added. Damn shame. He ran off 5000 Lt ferment which I'm glad I missed as my knees are killing me. That was a lot of work breaking up those plants. Natural yeast took 3.5 weeks to ferment out. He is setting this up so his product is at 55 grados leaving the condenser per clients request. I triple distilled mine to 62 grados
which for me is perfect. I'll mix it with some stuff he had which will give me more of the smoke.
Tools of his trade
Tools of his trade
Last edited by Tōtōchtin on Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Caution Plastics envolved making Raicilla

Post by NormandieStill »

What's the capacity of that boiler? And what actually is the boiler? Just that log slice with the center hollowed out? Could you sketch a little diagram of how it all fits together?
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

Parota tree
Parota tree
Hola Normandie,
I'm pretty sure that tree trunk is from a parota. It holds 200 L, with a branch that is pasted onto the top that has a copper pan holding water as a condenser which is fed from a river flowing next to his shed. In the top picture you can see the firebox that he built around the tree trunk there's a blackened sheet of metal between the flame and the trunk but I believe is copper.
I tried to cut down a video to show you better when it's working but I get a message that I have the wrong file extension. The fire is first started with the used dry mash that you can see in the top picture, once that's gone they switch over to wood.i added these photos in case you recognize it. Tōtō
Trunk
Trunk
images (2).jpeg (17.91 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Seed pods
Seed pods
Frutos_del_carocaro_(cropped).jpg (16.33 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

Still can't work the video. In the second pic you can see the head better with the copper pan inserted in the top with a bamboo lyne arm coming off of it.
Tōtō
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Tōtō
You can’t attach video files.
.You have to put them on you-tube and add a link to them .
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:10 pm Tōtō
You can’t attach video files.
.You have to put them on you-tube and add a link to them .
Well that makes feel better, thanks for the info.
Tōtō
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Ok. That's somewhat cool. I'd love to make a French equivalent. Beech or oak. Any idea how the copper condenser (pan) is sealed to the inside of the smaller tree? Perhaps a lip and more flour paste.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I love these kind of Still setups . So traditional and natural , then the product is collected in a skanky plastic container. :roll:
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I had some Raicilla some years ago before it was commercialized. It was good! From what little I saw every thing was contained in glass. But it was fun to be out of county and try their “moonshine”
13.5g/50L keg
modular 3" pot/VM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
26g 4" stripping still
5500watts of fury
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

It's in the plastic for about 3 days then bottled. As my friend told me if you want to buy him copper/stainless tank he'll use it. What is ironic is the quality going into the plastic containers. I have not tasted any store bought Raicilla that is close to his. But he does get a pretty penny, for his work. I pay 150 US for 5 liters including lunch and dinner. Questions are free.

The agave waste paste is used on the bamboo lyne arm, and the head to the boiler. The trunk/head is beveled to match the copper bowl. The weight of the water being poured into it is what seals it the most. It's his prv.
Tōtō
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If it's only in plastic for a few days and I don't want to use it for my daily tipple I wouldn't worry about it.

If the distiller next door ran into glass or SS, I would buy his.
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

I visited a small distillery in the US that was making gin from neutral spirits purchased in a 275 gallon plastic tote.

If given a choice between the Rachilla from Totochtin's friend, and gin made commercially, I'd take the Rachilla.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

I love seeing the old set up. From what I've read... There where a lot of log stills here in the US. Logs were cheeper than copper. Thanks for sharing this Toto!
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

NZChris wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:49 pm If it's only in plastic for a few days and I don't want to use it for my daily tipple I wouldn't worry about it.

If the distiller next door ran into glass or SS, I would buy his.
I think NZC you would be stepping on your dick with that philosophy. It would be like saying you would rather pass over a Pappy Van Winkle for a Jim Beam because of being in plastic a few days. Last time I was in the US I believe I saw some Jim beam in a plastic bottles.
Tōtō
If it was so damn expensive I would send out some samples because I can guarantee very little of this quality is sampled by the general public. He sells his to private clubs who buys all he can make.
Tōtō
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Locked the thread. To many rules being broken. Plastic use. Boiler size. Selling.

Toto, please read our forum rules. Local practices do not trump what we allow to be discussed in this forum.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."