Thumper with inlet on side

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

User avatar
Tammuz
Rumrunner
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:59 am

Re: Thumper with inlet on side

Post by Tammuz »

shadylane wrote: ↑Wed Nov 06, 2024 3:44 pm A bad puke or having corn mash in the thumper plugging up the inlet due to mistakes.
A side inlet will work, but the possibility of problems should be kept in mind. :ewink:
That's why I like use flexible tips in my thumper. Expands just enough to pass gas then closes as the pressure drops. I couldn't imagine the temps in there while you're removing stuck corn. If that happened once I would add an air fitting to blow out the line. I think I copied something from Yummie I believe. A fitting to use to blow out a hot mash thru the bottom drain. Hot rye is no fun.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum or party till the cows come home!
User avatar
squigglefunk
Distiller
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:27 am

Re: Thumper with inlet on side

Post by squigglefunk »

NormandieStill wrote: ↑Wed Nov 06, 2024 1:57 pm I thought this until a few months back I tasted the output from a 2 column continuous still pumping out apple brandy at 60%. And damn if it didn't taste of apple straight off the still. If I can work out the angle, I have to find a way to get more info from the distiller.
that sounds interesting, I hope to someday get into the continuous process. I'm betting they didn't use sugar in the ferment either :D
Post Reply