Help me break my OCD analysis paralysis RE: thumper sizing

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Post Reply

What size thump should I add?

15
7
88%
10
1
13%
 
Total votes: 8

Stags
Swill Maker
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 24, 2023 9:40 am

Help me break my OCD analysis paralysis RE: thumper sizing

Post by Stags »

Hey folks. Hoping yall can help me break my personal analysis paralysis. Fundamental question- to add a 15 gallon or a 10 gallon thumper? Sitch is below:

I currently have a 10 gallon pot, 5 gallon thump, and 3 gallon worm. All powered by 2x 2kw elements. All copper. She worked really nice for UJSSM and sugar washes.

Recently got a new job and more $ so I figured I’d splurge on some new materials and equipment. I’ve also gotten proficient at all grain mashes but I absolutely hate filtering and wringing the grains.

My thoughts have centered around building a new 15 gallon primary and either a 15 or 10 gallon thumper to feed into my existing 5 gallon thumper and 3 gallon worm. So 15/15/5/3 or 15/10/5/3

My intention would be to strip with water in the primary and unfiltered mash in the big thump. Spirit runs through grain in the big thump as well, primary charged with low wines. Added benefit is that the primary and elements would only ever see clear low wines and water, so less cleaning burden/ longer life for that equipment. I’ve done enough math to conclude that I can achieve my objective of bold full flavored and bodied whiskey in either setup depending on how I charge and run her.

Thoughts on 15:
+More mash per run/ fewer strips
+Lower abv on spirit run from more 5% mash in system
-longer run times/ less control
-higher likelihood of dry elements

Thoughts on 10:
- more stripping runs required
+ more refined product from lower grain charge in spirit run
+better controllability due to smaller size relative to power input/ shorter run time
+lower risk of dry elements

On a purely objective basis, I think the 15 gallon thump has a slight edge just due to volume. That said my brain loves the idea of 15/10/5/3 because my brain loves the pattern in the numbers. 15/15/5/3 turns my math brain off. So I put it to the masters: 15 or 10?
User avatar
Rusty Ole Bucket
Posts: 667
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:39 pm
Location: Well, I'm not sure.

Re: Help me break my OCD analysis paralysis RE: thumper sizing

Post by Rusty Ole Bucket »

I'm about to add a 15.5 keg to my 15.5/7.75 set up as part of an upgrade/rebuild, in fact the Twisted Brick shotgun build part of it is kicking off this weekend I hope. I'm planning to go to steam for grain and do a lot more rum in the future with the addition of the extra thumper.

I think you might eventually miss that extra volume, if you decide to do a steam run you're limited by the smaller pot and charge size.

I'm green as grass at this so I might be way off base in my reasoning, but it makes sense to me. :thumbup:

Rusty
"Knowledge is a paradox; the more one understands, the more one realizes the vastness of his ignorance" - Viktor (Arcane)

The Horny Goat Build
Electric Boozaloo II Build
User avatar
Tammuz
Rumrunner
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:59 am

Re: Help me break my OCD analysis paralysis RE: thumper sizing

Post by Tammuz »

I'd go with the 15 as a thumper/boiler. My retort/thumpers can be run as a steam gen. ,boiler and thumper. I plan on using all 3 to strip rum at the same time if I get the power in.
You might need to upgrade your elements if you want a faster heat up.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum or party till the cows come home!
User avatar
NZChris
Master of Distillation
Posts: 14347
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Help me break my OCD analysis paralysis RE: thumper sizing

Post by NZChris »

15. You can run with clear wash in the pot, grain in the first retort and something of your choice in the final retort. No need for stripping runs as each run produces finished spirit. Look up how the Jamaicans use them for rum for some ideas on how to charge them.
User avatar
Dr Griz
Swill Maker
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:08 pm
Location: Stowed away aboard the flagship of a pirate zeppelin armada

Re: Help me break my OCD analysis paralysis RE: thumper sizing

Post by Dr Griz »

I'm with the rest of these fellas. A thumper as big as your boiler gives a lot more flexibility.

I've been stripping my wash with steam the last few runs (I got tired of walking the razor's edge with rye mashes), and I've found that overfilling the thumper is a bigger problem than running your element dry. After all, if you're charging your boiler with water, you can fill it just about to the top without risk of boiling over. But that steam will condense out into your thumper charge as it comes up to speed.

Hell, I just flipped my 15-8 rig around on my last run just for giggles, using my 15 gallon keg as a thumper, powered by an 8 gallon boiler.
I ran 9 gallons of wash in the thumper, and much to my surprise, it worked a treat! If I can replicate that, I reckon I've just cut my stripping runs from 3 to 2!
qui bene bibit est beatus
zach
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:42 am

Re: Help me break my OCD analysis paralysis RE: thumper sizing

Post by zach »

I suggest a thumper bigger than the boiler. I use a 23 gallon milk can for a thumper and a 15 gallon keg for steam.

If you use a keg for a thumper, I would install at least a 6 inch tri clamp for a clean out.
OtisT
Master of Distillation
Posts: 3404
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:59 am
Location: Hawaii

Re: Help me break my OCD analysis paralysis RE: thumper sizing

Post by OtisT »

Dr Griz wrote: ↑Tue Mar 18, 2025 12:25 pm I'm with the rest of these fellas. A thumper as big as your boiler gives a lot more flexibility.
+1
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
User avatar
shadylane
Master of Distillation
Posts: 12713
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:54 pm
Location: Hiding In the Boiler room of the Insane asylum

Re: Help me break my OCD analysis paralysis RE: thumper sizing

Post by shadylane »

A thumper 1/3 - 1/2 the boiler size if making only rum.
Too big and the thumper will want to over fill due to passive reflux from the heat it radiates.

For a steam rig, a thumper the same size or even bigger than the pot.
Most important is designing the thumper for ease of draining, filling and cleaning.
Post Reply