If you've ever....you might be a Stiller
Moderator: Site Moderator
- goinbroke2
- Distiller
- Posts: 2458
- Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:55 pm
- Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster
Re: If you've ever....you might be a Stiller
If you’ve ever interrupted two cops who we’re arguing about moonshine and were so completely wrong you had to step in and correct them and then spend 13 more minutes explaining how to malt barley, do an all grain run, how to do cuts, You might be a distiller!!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
- thecroweater
- retired
- Posts: 6190
- Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:04 am
- Location: Central Highlands Vic. Australia
Re: If you've ever....you might be a Stiller
When snot comes out your nose reading the bullshit on the back label on a bottle in the bottle shop
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
- TDick
- Distiller
- Posts: 1615
- Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:25 pm
- Location: Sweet Home
Re: If you've ever....you might be a Stiller
I had heard a radio ad for a Feed & Seed Store for "Hunter Appreciation Days".
Happened to be "in the neighborhood" yesterday so I stopped by.
I've read that when looking for sweet feed, Horse feed has less additives.
A lot of it was pelletized but they had an entire aisle - both sides - of Equine Feed.
Some stuff that had me thinkin...
Happened to be "in the neighborhood" yesterday so I stopped by.
I've read that when looking for sweet feed, Horse feed has less additives.
A lot of it was pelletized but they had an entire aisle - both sides - of Equine Feed.
Some stuff that had me thinkin...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- contrahead
- Distiller
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:43 pm
- Location: Southwest
Re: If you've ever....you might be a Stiller
That's a good price for feed corn. The Tractor Supply stores around here want 2, to almost 3 times that price.
Reading the nutrition percentages in the 1st (sweet mix) picture, reminded me that I once wrote a little program to keep records of the calories and nutrition that several brood mares were getting. (That was back in the 1980's, on an Apple II, before there was an Internet).
Another thing. Alfalfa hay is too good a hay to waste on horses. Horses don't have 4 stomachs like cows do; they're not anatomically designed to metabolize a lot of nutrition and protein. Instead they just poop it out and move along.
Reading the nutrition percentages in the 1st (sweet mix) picture, reminded me that I once wrote a little program to keep records of the calories and nutrition that several brood mares were getting. (That was back in the 1980's, on an Apple II, before there was an Internet).
Another thing. Alfalfa hay is too good a hay to waste on horses. Horses don't have 4 stomachs like cows do; they're not anatomically designed to metabolize a lot of nutrition and protein. Instead they just poop it out and move along.
Omnia mea mecum porto
-
greggn
- Distiller
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:59 am
- Location: East Coast
Re: If you've ever....you might be a Stiller
I'd skip the mixes and stick with the single grains: wheat, oats, rye, corn.
There are a lot of options there and they're all good.
________________
I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
- dieselduo
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 736
- Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:36 am
- Location: Florida
Re: If you've ever....you might be a Stiller
I'd agree with that. Tried some mixes that tasted terrible
- Corn Cracker
- Posts: 1280
- Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:25 am
- Location: s.e. Texas
Re: If you've ever....you might be a Stiller
Ive been thinking of trying a hen scratch thats
Corn, wheat and milo, seems like it would be pretty good
Corn, wheat and milo, seems like it would be pretty good
I think I'll go home and fire up my still, it might not make me feel better but, I bet it will
-
Forest Beekeeper
- Bootlegger
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:41 pm
Re: If you've ever....you might be a Stiller
I would think that a mix like: Corn, wheat and milo would need to be milled into a fine dust to give the yeast access to all nutrients.
-
Alzahra888
- Swill Maker
- Posts: 395
- Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:13 am
- Location: Sierras del Sistema Central
Re: If you've ever....you might be a Stiller
If you ever did this . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Somewhere between hurry up and time is irrelevant.
Knowledge might be expensive or cheap, but information is always costly.
Knowledge might be expensive or cheap, but information is always costly.
- PalCabral
- Posts: 2562
- Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2024 4:02 am
- Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Re: If you've ever....you might be a Stiller
Sitting on a stunning beach mulling about the quince orchard you passed yesterday trying figure out how many kilos you would need to make run.
- Corn Cracker
- Posts: 1280
- Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:25 am
- Location: s.e. Texas
Re: If you've ever....you might be a Stiller
Its bad, isn't it!! At least your pondering lifes questions on the beach
I think I'll go home and fire up my still, it might not make me feel better but, I bet it will