Anyone see any issues or improvements needed?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Post Reply
Grond2
Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2026 5:17 am

Anyone see any issues or improvements needed?

Post by Grond2 »

So, I’m putting together my first still and need some advice. This picture is my proposed design. Do I pack the column? Is a shotgun condenser ok to use? I’m looking to start with a basic corn/sugar wash. I have experience through the process of mashing and fermentation from my beer brewing days, but it’s the distillation process that’s 100% new to me.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Salt Must Flow
Master of Distillation
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:06 pm
Location: Wuhan China (Novel Coronavirus Laboratory)

Re: Anyone see any issues or improvements needed?

Post by Salt Must Flow »

What is shown there is a basic pot still. A boiler, a riser and a product condenser. Basic pot stills do not used packing, reflux columns use packed columns and a reflux condenser to make the highest % ABV neutral spirits. If you're interested in a corn/sugar product, check out Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash. You can make some damn good product with this simple method and it's perfectly appropriate for a basic pot still.

Shotgun condensers are great as long as they are sized adequately for the amount of power input that is used. If it's undersized then you'll have to reduce power input (heat input) or increase water flow rate for the condenser to cope.

I personally prefer using an electric element within the boiler and a controller over a gas burner. It provides measurable, predictable and repeatable power input from run to run. Electric is quiet and likely safer overall. If someone wanted to, there are multiple ways of installing an electric element in that boiler.
User avatar
Salt Must Flow
Master of Distillation
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:06 pm
Location: Wuhan China (Novel Coronavirus Laboratory)

Re: Anyone see any issues or improvements needed?

Post by Salt Must Flow »

That boiler says it's 13.2 gal. I don't know what that still costs, but many if not most end up with a keg boiler at some point. Kegs are 15.5 gal, super tough, easy to modify and are relatively inexpensive. These days Tri-Clamp spools are inexpensive and readily available. Same with Shotgun condensers. You can buy a shotgun condenser that is significantly larger than the one in that pic and can handle much more heat input too. If you price out what it would cost to build a still, you would probably be surprised how affordable it really is.
User avatar
shadylane
Master of Distillation
Posts: 12713
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:54 pm
Location: Hiding In the Boiler room of the Insane asylum

Re: Anyone see any issues or improvements needed?

Post by shadylane »

The shotgun cooling water is plumbed backwards.
User avatar
Salt Must Flow
Master of Distillation
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:06 pm
Location: Wuhan China (Novel Coronavirus Laboratory)

Re: Anyone see any issues or improvements needed?

Post by Salt Must Flow »

shadylane wrote: ↑Sun Aug 23, 2026 2:57 pm The shotgun cooling water is plumbed backwards.
You're right, but I think it was an error. The description in the pic is correct, but the graphics were backwards. I think their intent was correct, but just an error.
30xs
Rumrunner
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:05 pm
Location: WV

Re: Anyone see any issues or improvements needed?

Post by 30xs »

The plastic on the take off is a horrible and collection distance from the burner is way too close. I’ve never run gas, but can’t imagine wanting my collection that close to the flame. Liebig with a support would move it out to a safer distance.

Edited to add it looks like a valve on the shotgun output. Ditch that also to save an accidental boom.
User avatar
Saltbush Bill
Global moderator
Posts: 11565
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:13 am
Location: Northern NSW Australia

Re: Anyone see any issues or improvements needed?

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Id be worried about all of that weight on one side of what appears to be a fairly flimsy lid and clips. , shotgun condenser full of water with hoses dangling off of it.
As was pointed out above the collection point is WAY to close to where the flame will be.
A good long Liebig would fix that problem pronto.
I get the feeling that a lot of these Chinese stills are built / designed by folk with little understanding of distillation, and even less regard for safety.
Ask your self , would you sit an open top container of petrol/ gas that close to an open flame ?
The booze coming from the business end of your still is just as flammable.
User avatar
PalCabral
Posts: 2526
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2024 4:02 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Anyone see any issues or improvements needed?

Post by PalCabral »

Many good points already. Having the collection point so close to the gas burner is a serious safety hazard.

I would be worried if those leaf thin Vevor boiler lids actually can carry the weight of the riser, bend and the condenser.

Adding copper mesh to the riser would be a good way to compensate for the lack of copper in the set up.
Grond2
Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2026 5:17 am

Re: Anyone see any issues or improvements needed?

Post by Grond2 »

Ok…so I’m COMPLETELY changing my setup. I was gifted an 8-gallon Brewzilla 3.0 so I’m switching my entire setup. I’m getting the distiller lid with the 2” tri-clamp fitting. I’m going to go with the setup in the attached image. I’m going to start with just the basic setup by removing the reflux condenser.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Username
Swill Maker
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:15 am

Re: Anyone see any issues or improvements needed?

Post by Username »

Have you checked out aliexpress or oakstills, you can build exactly the setup you want from modular parts with tri-clamp fittings
User avatar
shadylane
Master of Distillation
Posts: 12713
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:54 pm
Location: Hiding In the Boiler room of the Insane asylum

Re: Anyone see any issues or improvements needed?

Post by shadylane »

Grond2 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 26, 2026 4:17 am Ok…so I’m COMPLETELY changing my setup. I was gifted an 8-gallon Brewzilla 3.0 so I’m switching my entire setup. I’m getting the distiller lid with the 2” tri-clamp fitting. I’m going to go with the setup in the attached image. I’m going to start with just the basic setup by removing the reflux condenser. image.jpeg
If the RC isn't used, then the column isn't needed either.
Here's a diagram for how to run it as a potstill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
PalCabral
Posts: 2526
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2024 4:02 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Anyone see any issues or improvements needed?

Post by PalCabral »

Username wrote: ↑Wed Aug 26, 2026 9:33 am Have you checked out aliexpress or oakstills, you can build exactly the setup you want from modular parts with tri-clamp fittings
I think the picture is from Ali, I recognize it. At least, the combo is being sold there too. But my guess is that you propose to OP to look at buying the components individually? This, I totally agree with. Always check if the individual components in a combo are worth it.
Grond2 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 26, 2026 4:17 am Ok…so I’m COMPLETELY changing my setup. I was gifted an 8-gallon Brewzilla 3.0 so I’m switching my entire setup. I’m getting the distiller lid with the 2” tri-clamp fitting. I’m going to go with the setup in the attached image. I’m going to start with just the basic setup by removing the reflux condenser. image.jpeg
I think the point is, do you really need all the components in the still? Like Shady is showing, you don't need all of that stuff if you're going to use a pot still, which is what you initial picture was showing. Your new picture contains more spools, ie more height, a dephlagmator/reflux condenser, and a sight glass. Do you want a still that can do both pot still distilling and reflux distilling?

The picture you are showing will work well as a CM reflux column still. If you want to run it as a pot still, all you need to do is to remove some of the components. But I would wager you would get a better price buying the components cheaper on Oakstills, individually or as part of a combo from them.
User avatar
Username
Swill Maker
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:15 am

Re: Anyone see any issues or improvements needed?

Post by Username »

PalCabral wrote: ↑Wed Aug 26, 2026 11:33 am
Username wrote: ↑Wed Aug 26, 2026 9:33 am Have you checked out aliexpress or oakstills, you can build exactly the setup you want from modular parts with tri-clamp fittings
But my guess is that you propose to OP to look at buying the components individually?
Thanks Pal, thats exactly what I meant, I don't always articulate well
Grond2
Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2026 5:17 am

Re: Anyone see any issues or improvements needed?

Post by Grond2 »

Username wrote: ↑Wed Aug 26, 2026 10:24 pm
PalCabral wrote: ↑Wed Aug 26, 2026 11:33 am
Username wrote: ↑Wed Aug 26, 2026 9:33 am Have you checked out aliexpress or oakstills, you can build exactly the setup you want from modular parts with tri-clamp fittings
But my guess is that you propose to OP to look at buying the components individually?
Thanks Pal, thats exactly what I meant, I don't always articulate well
Thank you for the info! I knew what you meant as well. :) I decided to go with that modular unit and take the parts off and run it as a pot still for now. As I gain more experience, I’ll want to add on, so I may as well have the parts already.
Post Reply