Question about different designs.

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

What do you think?

Go with the valved reflux design.
25%
Go with the Nixon-Stone design.
38%
You are thinking way too much, go have a drink and put one together!
38%

Total votes: 16

Jaeger
Novice

Question about different designs.

Post by Jaeger »

When I was first starting to read about the art of distillation, I stumbled upon the moonshinestill.com's valved reflux design.
This design up until now had been my planned design. However after looking at some of the pictures on homedistiller.org more carefully, I can not think of any benefits from using the above valved reflux design as compared to a "Nixon-Stone" design. Such as:
or

Infact, the first design seems to require more parts that increase the expense of the still for no apparent reason. The extra couplers, and the extra needle valve seem to add unneeded complexity. The only benefit I can see is that the first design is better for a stripping run (because of the ability to turn off reflux, it seems impossible to collect all of the distillate off of the condenser in the Nixon-stone design.) In addition to the added complexity of having to work 2 needle valves (not to mention getting the flows right to optimize things), you also seem to loose some height of your column, as the Nixon design drops the distillate right back at the top, but the valved reflux design drops it a distance below the actual t joint.

So are there any benefits to the valved reflux design except for more efficient stripping runs? (Besides that it looks much cooler...)
The Nixon-Stone design just seems far more efficient and simplistic in design and use. Are these assumptions correct or am I overlooking something?[/img]
LeftLaneCruiser
Swill Maker

Post by LeftLaneCruiser »

Not to steer you in a specific direction, but as simplicity in design and use is one of your wishes, did you look at other than LM designs ?

Personally i find the VM system an elegant design and it is very easy to operate.

KJH

Post by Guest »

KJH You said all that needs to be said on this thread.