in-line thumper... Calling Hawke

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hawke
retired

Re: Calling Hawke

Post by Hawke »

No, I don't imagine it did any dancing. :lol: That all looks to be hell for stout.
For a vacuum break, you could tap into the top of the keg or lower column with a small ball valve. Then just open it when you shut off the power.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Hack wrote:I'll bet you'll end up wanting better control over the temp.
I'll bet your right. I'm hoping the addition of the thumper will temper back my lack of control.

This year was dedicated to getting my cooker assembled. I blew my wad.

The 30amp variac is really spendy. But I want all 30 amps for the quick heat up.

Next year (if I can wait) I'll get the controller.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Hawke wrote:No, I don't imagine it did any dancing. That all looks to be hell for stout.
For a vacuum break, you could tap into the top of the keg or lower column with a small ball valve. Then just open it when you shut off the power.
I may be inclined to add a couple of dump valves for ease of clean up. A 1" for the primary and a 3/8" (or the like) for the thumper. Perhaps I should also install something for the vacume break while the tools are out.

Thats a good call. Thanks Gents.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Well, I'm pretty sure I had good success with my limited control switch.

I switched over to 120 volts when the base of the column got hot but still touchable.

The discharge was a series of very fast drips. Kind of a "bappity bappity bap" dripping.

I collected down to 65% then switched back up to 240 volts and she just poured.

The entire start up to finish was 5 hours.
Attachments
After the heads
After the heads
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I charged the thumper with low wines (maybe two or three inches) and wash.

My head without the thumper would offer 45% on a single push.

The thumper (through the 3 liters of combined hearts) is at 80% @ 60 dgrees F.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Sounds like it's working about right to me. WTG.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Hawke wrote:WTG.
???

When I poped the thump lid after the run, I did not note any vacume pressure as such.
There was only 3/4" of liquid in the thump pot after the run. I charged the thumper with 3 or 4 inches.
I imagine some of the liquid could have siphoned back into the boiler as I did see some sucking back through the float.

But I am a little unclear as to why this is an issue?

On a partial related note:
I bought my hydro to help me make a more apples to apples comparison (old unit to new unit). I found the dependancy on trying to evaluate the run by using the numbers to be rather annoying.
I much prefer using my smell and taste.

I'll use the hydro for odds and ends but I recon it'll say in the drawer more often than not.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Let me say,, taking the head off whould work, or a hand valve whould also. but a check valve whould be automatic.
something less to worry about when your taking care of other things. something like a anti siphon valve "mite?" work.
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

For a relief valve, simply install a 1/2" or 3/4" "foot valve". Available in the plumbing section for around 10 clams... Very reliable.

"WTG" = Way To Go

Say, can the mods change the thread title? We'll never find this again in a year or so when looking for in-line thumper...
cob
Master of Distillation

Re: in-line thumper... Calling Hawke

Post by cob »

durabla makes stainless check valves from 1/4" up. search "durabla check valve". if you put one in the top of your float it would provide a path from atmosphere to boiler. bear in mind anything mechanical can fail. in this case failure only results in siphoning your thumper if it sticks. cob
edit
Attachments
Picture or Video 013.jpg
Last edited by cob on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be water my friend
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

LWTCS wrote: When I poped the thump lid after the run, I did not note any vacume pressure as such.
There was only 3/4" of liquid in the thump pot after the run. I charged the thumper with 3 or 4 inches.
I imagine some of the liquid could have siphoned back into the boiler as I did see some sucking back through the float.

But I am a little unclear as to why this is an issue?

On a partial related note:
I bought my hydro to help me make a more apples to apples comparison (old unit to new unit). I found the dependancy on trying to evaluate the run by using the numbers to be rather annoying.
I much prefer using my smell and taste.

I'll use the hydro for odds and ends but I recon it'll say in the drawer more often than not.
The vacuum would be in the boiler rather than the thumper. There's two reasons this could be an issue that I can think of. You'd be mixing thumper juice back into what's going to be your backset for the next run if you are making a sour mash. Also, awhile back somebody posted how they were running their traditional copper pot with a thumper outdoors as a demonstration at a fair or something. It started to rain which cooled the boiler enough to cause a vacuum and it started to cave in the side of his boiler. From the look of your rig the second one won't be a problem. It's not on mine.

I also prefer to go by smell and taste. I only use my hydrometer to check my proof after cuts to see where I'm at and then again after it's aged a bit to cut it down to drinking proof.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Hack wrote:I also prefer to go by smell and taste. I only use my hydrometer to check my proof after cuts to see where I'm at and then again after it's aged a bit to cut it down to drinking proof.
Yup. With my old unit, twice through made it right at where I wanted it to be...........or where I got used to it being. 65 to 70%. For my taste that was just fine.

I recon I'll need the hydro to get the likker cut to my liking.
Also, I recon the hydro numbers make it more easy to discuss,,,,,comparisons and so forth

By comparision old unit to new unit:

*12 hours stilling per 40 liters to 5 hours per 40 liters
*65 to 70% after two runs compared to 80 to 83% after one run.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

cob wrote:durabla makes stainless check valves from 1/4" up. search "durabla check valve".
Thanks cob. I like that thing
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Glad to see its working out for you.
OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

A few more thoughts:

I have up graded on three fronts really.
*Boiler size
*Heat input
*Thumper addition

(And formerly the new head)

These three combined are really the reason for such noteable improvements. The addition of any one of these changes would have put me in better position.

How much? Don't know. But I recon some of the gents do.
I was never able to establish baseline reference points as I went from driving,,,,,,,,a k car to a Ferrari over night.

After speaking with olddog, I'm gonna run this thing full blast for an entire run and see how well things go. For my own edification.
backwoodsVAboy
Novice

Post by backwoodsVAboy »

WOW that is the idea I had rolling around in my head for a little while now (thumper on top in line with keg) but was afraid to mention much about it becuase I figured someone would tell me how dumb of an idea it was..... that is a nice set up LWTCS!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Aw shucks.
Thanks for noticing.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Current configuation
Attachments
current config 003.jpg
trial&error
Novice

Post by trial&error »

are you circulating water on top of the orb/sphere above the thumper? assuming for added reflux
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

trial&error wrote:are you circulating water on top of the orb/sphere above the thumper? assuming for added reflux
Yes, Starts out @ 83% gets through heads and bumps to 87% and holds through the body. Ahh,, that was my last run.

Certainly not looking for reflux column numbers. Just really clean pot stilled.
Kiwi-lembic
Swill Maker

Post by Kiwi-lembic »

Good stuff ..nice shed L.W

off your post below
*12 hours stilling per 40 liters to 5 hours per 40 liters
*65 to 70% after two runs compared to 80 to 83% after one run.

is this pretty average for a pot type still and one with a thumper added
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

What I was refering to is the comparison to the 8 quart stove top rig i was running before the start of this build.

Your question is not quite as cut and dry as there are a couple different ways to run a thumper.
And differences from one unit to the next may result in a unit that experiences more passive reflux.

But the thumper will definitely add more ABV. My intension was to only run once and get 70% or better.
But then that crazy wildman OD got me all jacked up on copper. And now I'm pulling 95% on a very very rummy (dare I say) vodka.

Sizes and math are words merely taped to the seat of my pants while figuring how to spill some more solder on the bench top.

Triple inline thumpers atop the Humper and a dephlagmator are the latest add ons.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

LWTCS wrote:But then that crazy wildman OD got me all jacked up on copper.
Who me, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LWTCS wrote:And now I'm pulling 95% on a very very rummy (dare I say) vodka.
See where it got ya :D :D :D :D
LWTCS wrote:figuring how to spill some more solder on the bench top
Give it time , it WILL happen. :esurprised: :esurprised: :esurprised:

OD
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Nice work LWTCS. Glad pete came along and dug all this stuff up. First time I saw this post I was still trying to understand the basics and everything read like a NASA flight plan. NOW, I UNDERSTAND. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Need I say Inspirational thread. What is the thread for the still head build? I'd like to read up on some of the discussion. Really interesting piece you got there.

Due to recent upgrades, I will soon be capable of running my 15 gallon rig indoors. I must admit I'm a "lightweight" but I really enjoy stillin in 72 degree air conditioned air when the ambient outside air is 101F with 98% humidity. Will tend to encourage a little extra spending to provide some creature comfort.

Was talking thumpers earlier today with a member and I think I may have just found my next project.
Kiwi-lembic
Swill Maker

Post by Kiwi-lembic »

Walking ,,howdy again ..i get the Nasa flight plane thing ..gezz ... think im strapped in goin for the hell ride lol ..hope ya had a good day or have ya had it yet lol

LT id be keen for that link too she looks great .over and out
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

WalkingWolf wrote:What is the thread for the still head build?
My first stillhead upgrade was helpful nut not worth replicating. Much of those bits have been reclaimed.

The "Thump Tower Concept" I assume is what your asking about Wolf?
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

Wonderful thread! Great pics too.

When I get my still up & runnin I'll likely start by making multiple runs, but I'll keep good notes on how everything performs. I'll probably make one of these inline thumpers and compare the performance.

I like the sound of a simple ball valve on the boiler to relieve any vacuum rather than a check valve or anything to complicate what is otherwise such a simple design. Thanks for sharing this!
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Here is a draft of the build plan I did for Larry, it might help others contemplating a build.
multi thumper.png

OD
Kiwi-lembic
Swill Maker

Post by Kiwi-lembic »

olddog wrote:Here is a draft of the build plan I did for Larry, it might help others contemplating a build.
multi thumper.png
thats beatifuuly simple cheers O.D

OD
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

I don't take credit for the design, it was Larry's concept, I just made the working drawing with a couple of refinements.

OD