What still to built or buy?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Adding to my game: equipment and knowledge

Post by Deplorable »

n_plains_drifter wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:28 pm Looking for some advice from this group.

My tastes lean towards flavor with whiskey predominating, but I've done 3 @ 4X distillation runs to make a clean neutral.

What is a logical next step,
1) move to a 60 l pot
2) go electric
3) build a reflux head
4) build a modular thumper
I'd say #3.
Am a whiskey drinker. But it amazes me how much neutral I actually use for campfire sippers like apple pie, SPD, and bloody mary's.
Reclaiming ethanol from your collection of feints is a lot easier with a good reflux rig, and you'll get a lot more from your grains with less time in the shed.
Do #3 next, then build a keg boiler or buy a large milk can boiler, and finally move to electric.
Personally, I'm not real interested in a thumper. I can make plenty of whiskey pretty efficiently without one.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Re: What still to built or buy?

Post by n_plains_drifter »

Deplorable,

Thanks for the input. Your logic makes perfect sense. As I've looked at this in more detail over the past few days, I'm starting to lean 76mm, just for the speed. Big picture, even at 52, I'm probably cutting 1/3 out of total time. But if I upsize the boiler, then more vapor is better.

Thanks for the input. Drifter
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Drifter I started with a 25 l boiler and 2 inch pot with a 900mm liebig.
I now have a 50l keg boiler with 2 by 2000w elements.
I built a 2 inch CCVM that I can run as my pot still with a blank on the T.
The 50 allows me to strip hard and get a good volume of low wines, I'm then flexible enough to be able to spirit run in either boiler based on low wine volumes.
The CCVM allows me to get a good everyday product quickly from fients, as Deplorable says the reflux is invaluable. It has changed my cuts for my pot stilled product because I know that I'm going to get a return from the product that doesn't make the cut in the form of a refluxed fients product :crazy:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

n_plains_drifter wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:27 pm Setsumi: And I figure that working on twisting up a coil would be a great little engineering project in and of itself.
I'm also going to waste some copper attempting to build a coil. Lol I do custom brake lines in cars all the time, but those are steel with a copper sleeve. I hope that they are somewhat the same, but I doubt it.
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I agree on reflux first since it sounds like you have good stock. With a 60l boiler you can just about strip on that then spirit + some fresh wash/beer for a 1.5 on the 30l. I got parts for a ccvm early on but haven’t actually run it yet since I recycle feints for the whiskies and similar. I will get a round to it though but I find a pot still plenty flexible depending on how you charge it. If you’re interested in neutral then a reflux column is going to be a good tool. You might consider a couple plates too if you’re into flavored spirits.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

n_plains_drifter wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:04 pm Deplorable,

Thanks for the input. Your logic makes perfect sense. As I've looked at this in more detail over the past few days, I'm starting to lean 76mm, just for the speed. Big picture, even at 52, I'm probably cutting 1/3 out of total time. But if I upsize the boiler, then more vapor is better.

Thanks for the input. Drifter
76mm will get you more speed, at the extra cost of the 3" copper. If it's available and you can swing the cost difference, go for it.
When it comes to a reflux rig, a 3" rig is likely going to get pretty tall, but some on here have had good results on a column shorter than the rule of thumb d×20.
A 2" might be more adaptable to the smaller boiler. 30L of 30% feints can net you a good 1.5 gallons + of 95% hearts. More if you treat them right.
So much to think about, it's easy to get paralysis-by-analysis.
Enjoy the journey!
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
OnceAlive
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OnceAlive »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:54 pm Am a whiskey drinker. But it amazes me how much neutral I actually use for campfire sippers like apple pie, SPD, and bloody mary's.
Sporacle wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:22 pm as Deplorable says the reflux is invaluable. It has changed my cuts for my pot stilled product because I know that I'm going to get a return from the product that doesn't make the cut in the form of a refluxed fients product :crazy:

A nice one-two combo! Making a CCVM is now on the to do list.
Chill'n Still'n ~ Distilling is a hobby where you don't want to blow off steam.
Useful links:
Don't forget the parent site... full of organized good info there
Newbie kickstart & Novice bump
Words words words
Help to pay the bills
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Go modular! My stills are 2” stainless steel. I use a copper potscourer or two for copper in the vapour path. Check out the pics from the links in my signature.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

The CCVM is the only reflux still I have owned, aside from a my inherited still spirits super reflux.
I only post the method I use because that's all I'm familiar with, plenty of guys have great success with a variety of other types, do your research and explore all the options before settling on what you get. The beauty of taking your time is you can eventually see far enough in advance to be able to future proof your system a bit, good luck :thumbup:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Sporacle wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:47 pm The CCVM is the only reflux still I have owned, aside from a my inherited still spirits super reflux.
I only post the method I use because that's all I'm familiar with, plenty of guys have great success with a variety of other types, do your research and explore all the options before settling on what you get. The beauty of taking your time is you can eventually see far enough in advance to be able to future proof your system a bit, good luck :thumbup:
+1
Do your homework, and eliminate rework.
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

kimbodious wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:36 pm Go modular! My stills are 2” stainless steel. I use a copper potscourer or two for copper in the vapour path. Check out the pics from the links in my signature.
Have you ever wished you went with 3" stainless steel?
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

jward wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:48 pm
kimbodious wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:36 pm Go modular! My stills are 2” stainless steel. I use a copper potscourer or two for copper in the vapour path. Check out the pics from the links in my signature.
No. I use the time with the still to chill out, otherwise I’d be doing chores. I only do one CCVM spirit run once a year, it’s a very long run true, but it is only once a year.
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
OnceAlive
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OnceAlive »

Modular is the way to go for me because the setup I have is already made for it.

I only need a pot still for what I look forward on making which is bourbon but being able to "salvage" the ethanol that I would end up throwing away is worth having the reflux column. I'll surely want to make gin sooner or later anyway.

I wanted something simple and thought about making a bokakob but this is even simpler... well as easy as finding the components.

Sporacle & Deplorable: thanks, that's always a good reminder. I can recall a few times when I was a kid and I wanted to borrow money from my dad to buy something and he said something like "Think about it, if you still want it tomorrow I'll bring you back." Thinking about... can easily be set aside these days but I'm grateful for those kind of lessons he taught me... not saying that I always apply them! (If ever you're wondering, we didn't always get back the next day. :) )
Chill'n Still'n ~ Distilling is a hobby where you don't want to blow off steam.
Useful links:
Don't forget the parent site... full of organized good info there
Newbie kickstart & Novice bump
Words words words
Help to pay the bills
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

kimbodious wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:49 pm
jward wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:48 pm
No. I use the time with the still to chill out, otherwise I’d be doing chores. I only do one CCVM spirit run once a year, it’s a very long run true, but it is only once a year.
+1 if you make a good amount of whiskey, in a year you'll build up enough feints for a boiler charge of 30%. 3 gallons of neutral goes a long way. One long run a year to me, doesn't justify the cost of building a 3" CCVM.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

A 3” still is going to need more than a 2200W element on 240VAC. 2 x 2200W will need 2 x 10A circuits. I could just go 1 x 3500w element but the time I spend sitting watching the still isn’t really a big issue. No, I am happy to stay with the 2” setup with the 2200W element
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Bacchus 50
Novice

Post by Bacchus 50 »

My bride gifted me a 10L copper pot from .....moonshine stills co., out of oh. The material, copper, is stout, the joints look well soldered and looking inside no holes. Is this a viable "apparatus" for producing something drinkable. Doin my homework.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Bacchus 50 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:15 pm My bride gifted me a 10L copper pot from .....moonshine stills co., out of oh. The material, copper, is stout, the joints look well soldered and looking inside no holes. Is this a viable "apparatus" for producing something drinkable. Doin my homework.
To many companys using that name. post a picture, post a real link, test it for lead before even cleaning it.
be water my friend
Bacchus 50
Novice

Post by Bacchus 50 »

Most certainly will do. Biding my time not diving into anything, going to learn as much as possible. Just small time. I learned some time ago, you don't know it all and the more you think you do the more you need to learn. Still need to figure how to post photos.
Last edited by Bacchus 50 on Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bacchus 50
Novice

Post by Bacchus 50 »

16410030815866130180029987174678.jpg
Trying to load photos but having difficulty.
16410030815866130180029987174678.jpg
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Bacchus 50 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:09 pm Trying to load photos but having difficulty.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33080 found this using the search bar.

I don't know if it will help. A real link to their web page and identifying your model still will

help a lot. Go to the web page on your paperwork, and post a link to your still.

Edit; there were recent posts about a similar still. thanks for the pictures.
be water my friend
Bacchus 50
Novice

Post by Bacchus 50 »

Not certain if this came through but I do know that this rig is only so much. So I'm not really very ambitious just wading in the shallows..and accepting any insight that I may garner among this group.
Bacchus 50
Novice

Post by Bacchus 50 »

Ok I'll give it a shot....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Bacchus 50 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:20 pm Not certain if this came through but I do know that this rig is only so much. So I'm not really very ambitious just wading in the shallows..and accepting any insight that I may garner among this group.
I think, as long as that still tests free of lead, you'll have something good to learn on in the kitchen. From there you can decide if you want to follow the rabbit hole.
Be warned, the rabbit hole is deep and there are many different turns. But there seems to be a new reward at every turn.
Bacchus 50
Novice

Post by Bacchus 50 »

I don't intend to expand. I'm content to learn the intricacies of doing well with what I have.
Bacchus 50
Novice

Post by Bacchus 50 »

I am interested in finding a safe heat source for something this small. A hot plate that has an accurate temp control. I don't want to do anything indoors.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Bacchus 50 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:21 pm Ok I'll give it a shot....
[/quote

For the record I think those portuguse pot stills represent the ideal form of a pot still.

they are absolutely beautiful. Having said that the only reason I would own one is to

put it on a shelf as a decoration, and a gallon or smaller would suffice for that.
be water my friend
Bacchus 50
Novice

Post by Bacchus 50 »

Again I'm not expecting great results but just to create something that is acceptable and palatable. If I wanted to consume just about any style or form of shine or whiskey I could just order it but doing it my self is my ambition.
Bacchus 50
Novice

Post by Bacchus 50 »

moonshine stills company Still trying to find the secret to adding links......
Bacchus 50
Novice

Post by Bacchus 50 »

Moonshine stills company ohio
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Bacchus 50 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:40 pm I am interested in finding a safe heat source for something this small. A hot plate that has an accurate temp control. I don't want to do anything indoors.
A lot of those temperature controls work by switching the power on and off.
That is exactly what you do NOT need.
It makes your still unhappy.

Geoff
The Baker