Using beano

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Using beano

Post by goinbroke2 »

Just a quick question, I was in to the local brew shop looking for amylase enzimes and at first got blank looks. Then they called the "main" store and said they don't have any, might be able to order it in.
Just found out that they can't get it in unless they order $600.00 worth, blah, blah, blah. Whatever, I asked about their malted barley they sell, and it's not diastase, won't convert starches to sugar. I was about to hang up and I asked, "doesn't anybody make beer from all grain mashbills"? He said lots do, they use beano tab's to convert.

The question then, if I take cracked corn/water up to 160degrees for 45 minutes and add crushed beano tabs...will this convert? I thought beano's only break long sugar chains to shorter ones so the yeast have an easier time?

I have a large bottle of beano, but I don't want to waste it if it's not going to work.

Thanks,
GB2
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Using beano

Post by Dnderhead »

Use in the brewing of beer

The Beano breaks the complex sugars into simple sugars, and these simple sugars are consumed by the yeast, producing alcohol (or some acetic acid in the aerobic reactions in early fermentation).

The addition of Beano to the brew reduces the complex sugar content of the final product, thereby reducing the carbohydrate content of the beer, and also slightly increasing the alcohol content of the beer. A disadvantage of the addition of Beano to homebrew is that the lower carbohydrates lead to less head retention of the beer, the loss of the sugars results in a less sweet flavour of the final product, and fewer of the malty flavours are conveyed since some of those flavours are from the complex sugars that are affected.

The addition of Beano to home brew beer (at a rate of about four tablets per 5 gallon brew) low carbohydrate beer (about half the carbohydrates that it would otherwise have), but also alters some of the flavours of the beer. The loss of flavour is less apparent the darker the beer is, and the higher the alcohol content of the beer (since the alcohol numbs the tastebuds somewhat). Consequently it is suggested that a dark ale or a stout would be the best candidates for the use of Beano with minimal effect on the final taste of the beer. All in all, the practice of adding Beano to homebrewed beer is not recommended for a high quality end product. Many homebrewers will instead add extra amylase enzyme, an enzyme that naturally occurs during the mashing of grains, to reduce complex sugar content.
just what did they have for malts? did they have malted grain? what types? if they had base malts that is what you want.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

It sounds to me like the Beano will convert the complex sugars but won't fully convert starches to sugars... And it the brew shop doesn't carry amylase enzymes or proper malted grains then you're better off finding an alternate source...
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

it does not sound like they or at least the one you talked to did not knew what they were talking about. that is why i was inquiring about the malt.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

For what its worth. Ian smiley talks about using beano in his corn whiskey book. He claims it works, if you dont have access to ensymes.
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

MIle High sells 1 pound bags of Alpha and Beta for 15.00 or something close to that. Its enought to do a LOT of conversions.
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

ScottishBoy wrote:MIle High sells 1 pound bags of Alpha and Beta for 15.00 or something close to that. Its enought to do a LOT of conversions.
Brewhaus has it for $10.95
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Rargh
Novice

Post by Rargh »

Hiya

Anyone know of a beano substitution in the UK?

Cheers
SuburbanStiller
Swill Maker

Post by SuburbanStiller »

A brewshop that gave you blank stares when asking for amylase is not a shop you should accept much advice from.
LWTCS wrote:Recon i am an intermet lilker geek
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

Bayou-Ruler wrote:
ScottishBoy wrote:MIle High sells 1 pound bags of Alpha and Beta for 15.00 or something close to that. Its enought to do a LOT of conversions.
Brewhaus has it for $10.95
Yes, I bought some Amyloglucsidase from Brewhaus and it converts 100%. Very cheap, 1 lb goes a long way. I think it's what's in Whiskeypure AG. I also use amylase. Also distillers nutrients. Better safe than sorry. Order up my friends.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

What's the best temp to add beano to an all grain? I'm guessing body temp :mrgreen: Thanks, bd.
I do all my own stunts
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

Fermentation temp.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Well....it's been two years...and I'm thinking of trying it again. I use beano with regular ferments just to break down longer sugar chains, of course found my old Pure corn whiskey book by Ian Smiley that Mulekicker mentioned and am thinking again of trying to convert with beano.
Doing a search I found that beano is alpha Galactosidase which breaks long chains to short ones (which I knew) but no real mention of it converting starches to sugar.

Is it worth a try to do a mash and try to convert with beano or can somebody tell me right now it won't work? (previous experience/reference/etc)

Thanks guys
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

You may want to go to the pharmacy and price out beano here. I experimented allot with beano early on in my brewing, beginners are always looking for that higher alcohol. I was no different.
I found with a standard malt bill it didn't do much for me but when there were additions that were tougher ferments, that's where it shines. It sadly strips the beer of all of its character you were trying for in the first place.
If going for neutral I'd say its fine but expensive
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Well I'm looking to use it to convert starches to sugars, if it can. Ian Smiley says it can but other reading says no. i'm making whiskey with a keg, potstill.
The question is then, can it replace amalyse to convert starches?

edit: I've got a bottle of beano I'm using now, it's about $7.00 for 30 tablets. (takes 2 tabs per 30L wash according to Ian)
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Whoe up there boys and girls. As for converting starches to sugar, isn't that what the yeasts do?
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

No, yeasts convert sugar to alcohol and co2. I need the starches converted to sugar first, then let the yeasties eat.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

It contains the enzyme alpha-galactosidase that breaks down oligosaccharides
( complex sugars).if your grain was toasted then it will add more alcohol.
by braking down the larger sugars(unfermentable).or the "sweet" flavor of beer.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

OK, went to the local beer/wine place who is supposed to be the "authority" on the matter. Told him what I wanted and he said I need the Amylase in the turbo isle...oh great I thought, here we go. Sure enough there was a pitch for turbo's but anyway he gave me the 10g packet of amylase for $1.99. Didn't know if it was a good price or not but since each pack only does 25L I bought 4.

I got the whiskey making instructions that are for the "whisky distillers yeast".
It says;

Crush all grains. Add 4kg to a large pan and add 15L cold water. Bring to boil. Add amylase and simmer 30mins stirring frequently. Remove from heat and add 5.5kg's of DEXTROSE(?) Stir to dissolve and let cool to below 25C (77deg)
Add turbo carbon (blech..NOT)

So,
1) If I'm boiling the cracked corn and then adding amylase to change starches to sugar, why do I have to add 5.5kg's of dextrose?? I was quite explicit I was making all grain whiskey..WTF??
2) Boiling the cracked corn and then adding the amylase while boiling? is this right??

Before I start I thought I better check with the real experts, ON HERE! :thumbup:
rgarry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgarry »

Boiling will denature the enzyme
Stiller dawg
Novice

Post by Stiller dawg »

My dad was using beano back when it first came out in the 70's. Used to piss my mom off when I'd ask him. I didn't drink still liquor from family,from polk, co ak., till I was oh about 13. And back then i was knee deep, still learning ,and never got the answer for putting Beano's in the fermenter.?
Well Im 64 now can't really tell if it ups my gravity by how much, but it does seem to insure and shorten any lag time. I've never tried fermenting without it.
I can omly imagine the smiles when they found beano, it works.
Sneak a drink or two from the shed.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

10 year old thread, most of the posters are long gone. Doesn't hurt to start a new thread.
:)