Dan's Flute x2, 4" x 5 plate 42" column

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: Dan's Flute x2, 4" x 5 plate 42" column

Post by Bushman »

Great video, I find it interesting a year or two ago there was a big debate on where to put the thermometer before or after the dephlagometer and you have it in both places. Dan sending you a PM, that is an awesome video.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Thanks for your permission Dan, I figured out how to do it!
dan
Swill Maker

Post by dan »

Here is a new video of my second column going through its first cleaning run..... Collection rate at the end there is about four gallons per hour or 100ml in 23 seconds. http://youtu.be/_MevSTf5-Rc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow Enjoy... This one is shorter.
-Dan
Bruster
Novice

Post by Bruster »

How far below each site window is your plate positioned?
bigal2286
Novice

Post by bigal2286 »

I just realized your fancy parrot support is the scrap from cutting your plates (or condenser end caps). That's good thinking.
dan
Swill Maker

Post by dan »

Bruster - They are 3/4" of an inch below the sight glass which is equal to the height of each downcomer tube above the plate.....

BigAl - :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Dan
Bruster
Novice

Post by Bruster »

So I have a question about your downcomers. I thought there was a cap or something on the end to create a vapor lock. Yours don't seem to have that. What is the thought behind yours?
dan
Swill Maker

Re: Dan's Flute x2, 4

Post by dan »

Bruster wrote:So I have a question about your downcomers. I thought there was a cap or something on the end to create a vapor lock. Yours don't seem to have that. What is the thought behind yours?
Bruster-

The distillate that is sitting on the plate prevents any vapor from going up the downcomer. My downcomers outlet is 1/2" above the plate whereas my downcomer inlet is at 3/4" above the plate. Saves having any cups but remember there are no holes in my perforated plates directly under the downcomer that would force vapor up the downcomer tube. The credit for this advancement in micro-distillation goes to EmptyGlass. Sometimes you have to work smarter than harder. :clap: :clap:

-Dan
Bruster
Novice

Post by Bruster »

dan-
Awesome, thanks. Im about done with my 3 " now, Just some tweaking to make it as fine as yours. Think I am going to replace my downcomers too lol. Started a 4" also but that one I am doing in 5"sections. Also started a 3" pot still version. Yes I am all over the place, but I work on one and get bored, move to a different one. Not to mention, I am acquiring new goodies for my shop, you know, the must have stuff lol. Just one last thing, I am using both silver solder and braze, I like the fact I can put together a few things with braze, then solder and not worry about messing up what I had already done. I think its makes for a clean assembly. I know i can do all solder, but it does take a knack at times, and I get lazy lol. Thanks again for all your inspiration and tech help.
dan
Swill Maker

Post by dan »

Bruster wrote:dan-
Awesome, thanks. Im about done with my 3 " now, Just some tweaking to make it as fine as yours. Think I am going to replace my downcomers too lol. Started a 4" also but that one I am doing in 5"sections. Also started a 3" pot still version. Yes I am all over the place, but I work on one and get bored, move to a different one. Not to mention, I am acquiring new goodies for my shop, you know, the must have stuff lol. Just one last thing, I am using both silver solder and braze, I like the fact I can put together a few things with braze, then solder and not worry about messing up what I had already done. I think its makes for a clean assembly. I know i can do all solder, but it does take a knack at times, and I get lazy lol. Thanks again for all your inspiration and tech help.

Just be careful with the amount of heat it takes to braze copper because it can distort thin wall DWV pipe. If you are making a removable plate tree it can be a pain in the ass.

-Dan
Bruster
Novice

Post by Bruster »

Dan-
I am using L and to brag just a bit, I am a fine brazer , solder guy lol. I like things done right and pretty so I use as little heat as possible to get the job done. I also use heat sincs to control it, that copper likes to suck up heat for sure. Once again thank you. Ill shut up now :)
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Good job Dan, like them top caps for the Lyme arm! .
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
dan
Swill Maker

Post by dan »

Thank you googe!!
I hope this picture won't get me locked out but here is my latest cleaning run with the full kit....
Attachments
IMG_3352.jpg
dan
Swill Maker

Post by dan »

My new heat controller.....

-Dan
Attachments
IMG_3337.jpg
IMG_3362.jpg
IMG_3365.jpg
IMG_3368.jpg
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

superb craftsmanship. I am in awe.
Bruster
Novice

Post by Bruster »

Dan. Where did you source your cooler fittings from?
dan
Swill Maker

Post by dan »

Bruster - http://www.stilldragon.com/fittings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Thanks, Dan
Bruster
Novice

Post by Bruster »

Hmm got quiet in here lol
dan
Swill Maker

Re: Dan's Flute x2, 4

Post by dan »

Bruster wrote:Hmm got quiet in here lol
Quite quiet if you ask me..... what happened, did I piss somebody off? Hope nobody takes my two pennies the wrong way because I really do want this hobby to be legal in the truest American form. I will be joining the cause very soon but just need a few days to get things in order and cleaned up.

-Dan
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I like how in the video you can actually see the oils and such floating in the parrot.

That is why we do a cleaning run :) great job, and a sweeeeeet still.
dan
Swill Maker

Post by dan »

I made two controllers today..... One is analog amps only and the other is digital amps and voltage. Any thoughts??

Dan
Attachments
IMG_3389.jpg
IMG_3390.jpg
Bruster
Novice

Post by Bruster »

I like the digital. Lol pretty lights lmao. Love to see your set up inside them
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

+1 Bruster.. I like the bling bling.
BigSwede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BigSwede »

Dan, your build is an inspiration. Like many noobs, I'm starting with a typical 2" reflux rig, and while I like neutrals, my heart belongs to what a plated still can make, whiskies and especially a good rum. Its going to take me some time to save my pennies for 3" copper and everything needed, and I definitely need more experience, but something similar to what you have is in my future.

On your controllers... I made one that actually has both analog and digital. The digital meter I splurged on (Murata) is selectable for volts, watts, and amps, and I chose it because its data sheet specifically mentions it is accurate with phase angle controllers like what we use. I can get a part number for it if anyone is interested. And the analog volt meter simply is a backup and provides an instantaneous reading from any angle.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiring build.
dan
Swill Maker

Post by dan »

Thank you BigSwede!! The part number on the digital meter and where you got it from would be great. I am always looking to add functionality to a great design! Do you have any pictures of your controller?

Dan
BigSwede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BigSwede »

The meter I used is pricey at $70, but I did get 10% off on it with a coupon.
power02.jpg
The meter is upper right. A button on it lets you scroll through volts, amps, watts, power factor. It requires a minimum of 50V to operate, so I put a resistance in parallel on my potentiometer so my box powers up to 50V and can go no lower. That's well below any useful power for heating or reflux.

It's a Datel ACM20-5-AC1-R-C power meter, Newark Electronics part number 29R0785

I'm really jazzed with the 4-channel temperature meter below it. A cheap eBay find that works flawlessly. I have ports for two PT100 RTD probes leading outside, stuck a third probe on my SSR heat sink to watch for heat buildup.
dan
Swill Maker

Post by dan »

Flute #3 going through a cleaning run...... Only two more to go.

-Dan
Attachments
IMG_3476.jpg
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Dan, glad to see you back. The umbrella is eppic!
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Have not heard from you in a while Dan. Are you still around?
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Dan, many kudos to you for your build, logs and videos. You're truly a craftsman.