strawberry panty-dropper

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Re: strawberry panty-dropper

Post by carbohydratesn »

My PD has been sitting for a few weeks now, and I just gotta say - god*damn* this is a good recipe. I'll be keeping some around, all the time :)
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Might have to give this recipe a go as I just picked these, need to talk my wife out of not canning all of them.
image.jpg
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Bushman wrote:Might have to give this recipe a go as I just picked these, need to talk my wife out of not canning all of them.
image.jpg
You're still canning them in a sense!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Last year I was next door drinking beer with the neighbor. Was talking about making assorted hooch out of the cherries that were ripening on my cherry tree, and wifey piped in that she might make some cherry pies too. Neighbor wasted no time to jump in and say, "Fuck that cherry pie, you cant drink cherry pie".

Couldnt have said it better if I tried.

Amen.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Got a 2 qt jar going now, might do another 2 qts tomorrow @ 140 proof. Jimbo you just gave me the next response to my wife, wonder what her come back will be? :sarcasm:
mystakilla
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by mystakilla »

Ive been running low on mango, gotta get it going soon!!
Its fantastic!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have never made panty droppers before but here is what is happening so far with my attempt.
1. I filled a 2 qt mason jar to the top with berries, and added one fifth of 140 proof alcohol for 1 week.
2. Followed the instruction and drained the alcohol into another jar, ended up with just over a fifth. Then added sugar to cover berries.
3. After one day strained about 400 ml of juice into a 3rd jar. (really surprised how much desolved in 24 hrs.)
4. Added more sugar to cover top per instructions and noted that the 2 qt jar that started full of strawberries is now about 1/2 full.

My question since I have never made this before is: I looked up recipes for panty droppers and all the recipes I found called for the addition of beer? This recipe does not, anyone that has made panty droppers before have any thoughts on this?

Blackberry season will be here soon and if this recipe turns out nice I will try another one with blackberries.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Bushman wrote:I have never made panty droppers before but here is what is happening so far with my attempt.
1. I filled a 2 qt mason jar to the top with berries, and added one fifth of 140 proof alcohol for 1 week.
2. Followed the instruction and drained the alcohol into another jar, ended up with just over a fifth. Then added sugar to cover berries.
3. After one day strained about 400 ml of juice into a 3rd jar. (really surprised how much desolved in 24 hrs.)
4. Added more sugar to cover top per instructions and noted that the 2 qt jar that started full of strawberries is now about 1/2 full.

My question since I have never made this before is: I looked up recipes for panty droppers and all the recipes I found called for the addition of beer? This recipe does not, anyone that has made panty droppers before have any thoughts on this?

Blackberry season will be here soon and if this recipe turns out nice I will try another one with blackberries.
Beer in this would just be nasty. Important, did you add a bit of lemon juice to each step? I use about a tablespoon of the bottled "Reallemon" brand that you get everywhere. You don't taste it but it is the preservative that keeps it nice and bright red. Straight citric acid gives it a little off taste.
My personal preference is to just soak the berries for three days max and only do the disollved sugar coating two times. This helps prevent bitter flavors. I think the alcohol draws it out of the seeds but it could be my imagination. To cut it down further I make strawberry syrup with srawberries, sugar and water. Boil, strain, cool.
I also use the most neutral stuff I got. This is usually what I make feints neutral runs for. Comes out tasting like fresh strawberries.
I have tried a bunch of different fruits but nothing works as good as strawberries in my opinion.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Yea, I didn't like the sound of the beer either. Just added 1 Tbs of lemon juice in each of the jars (alcohol and juice).
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I have a 1/2 g jar pretty much full I started last night. 1L of 65% to just cover the strawberries. Already turned nice and red this morning. So I am guessing its about 1L of strawberries also. Next week the sugar starts..... Hope the wife likes this should end up with a good amount. I am guessing about close to a 1/2 gallon of 35-40% when done.

B
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I left mine in to soak for a week per the original recipe but then took Hound Dogs advice and only did the sugar for simple sugar twice but did not cut it down any further. Turned out really nice!
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Bushman wrote:I left mine in to soak for a week per the original recipe but then took Hound Dogs advice and only did the sugar for simple sugar twice but did not cut it down any further. Turned out really nice!
I think that is what I am going to do.

B
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

I just made a batch myself with some "All Cheerios " that came out quite tasty!
Using Google Search

bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

This is about 2 days in... amazing the color and how good it smells already!
Attachments
Mmmm
Mmmm
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Couple of questions:
1. Some say add lemon juice to every step of the transformation, some say not to the original berry/alcohol jar?
2. Various times are suggested to the original jar setting before "pull-off". Mine looks like the pic's after one day, what benefit is the extra time (one week) going to provide?
Suggestion:
For a good cheap strainer, buy a "game bag", (used by hunters), layer several piece's in your filter and it won't clog or need changing. Plus the bags are so big, you can make a bunch of filtering runs using just one bag.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

sltm1 wrote:Couple of questions:
1. Some say add lemon juice to every step of the transformation, some say not to the original berry/alcohol jar?
I did not add to the original jar but after I combined the alcohol with the first batch of simple sugar produced.

2. Various times are suggested to the original jar setting before "pull-off". Mine looks like the pic's after one day, what benefit is the extra time (one week) going to provide?
No answer, I left mine for a week per instructions. Many of our recipes call for a week, don't think 7 days is any magical number

Suggestion:
For a good cheap strainer, buy a "game bag", (used by hunters), layer several piece's in your filter and it won't clog or need changing. Plus the bags are so big, you can make a bunch of filtering runs using just one bag.
I use gallon paint strainer bags, also very cheap.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just started another Panty dropper as I went out last night and picked wild blackberries. Will modify this recipe to account for the difference in sweetness between the berries.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Bushman wrote:Just started another Panty dropper as I went out last night and picked wild blackberries. Will modify this recipe to account for the difference in sweetness between the berries.
I have a similar liquor from Cranky that tastes like chambord. Pretty good stuff. Sadly, my blackberry macerations have all came out tasting like over the counter children's medicine.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

bearriver wrote:
Bushman wrote:Just started another Panty dropper as I went out last night and picked wild blackberries. Will modify this recipe to account for the difference in sweetness between the berries.
I have a similar liquor from Cranky that tastes like chambord. Pretty good stuff. Sadly, my blackberry macerations have all came out tasting like over the counter children's medicine.
This was my result with blackberries and some cherries I tried. Should have saved it for cold season. :|
Using Google Search

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just finished the blackberry Panty Droppers following almost the same recipe as strawberries. It isn't bad but needs something so I through a couple vanilla beans in the jar along with some charred plumb wood I made and will let it sit for a month and check again. My initial response is it won't be as good as the strawberries but after a month and refrigerate it we will see!
On a side note we have had very little rain and I believe the blackberries aren't as sweet as a normal years weather would have made them.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

bearriver wrote:Sadly, my blackberry macerations have all came out tasting like over the counter children's medicine.
Is it wrong that this sounds good to me?

Accidental (related) discovery -- Flintstones vitamins dipped in chocolate are the bomb.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

raketemensch wrote:
bearriver wrote:Sadly, my blackberry macerations have all came out tasting like over the counter children's medicine.
Is it wrong that this sounds good to me?.
Very.......
Using Google Search

slowNlow86
Novice

Post by slowNlow86 »

Made my first attempt at this not long ago. I used second gen UJ in a pint of strawberries. It ended up tasting really bad. I did three sugar coatings after the initial likker soak. The strawberries soaked in the likker for 4 or 5 days and the sugar coating was about 48 hours for each. The liquid extracted from the berries very quickly and my berries were completely submerged in "syrup" when I racked it off into the other jar. A few questions:
-How thick is the syrup yall are getting from the sugar coating? Mine was not thick at all. Maybe I need to let them set longer? More sugar?
-I think the reason it tasted bad was because I used corn whiskey for my maceration. Corn + Strawberries = :sick: Have any of yall had success using corn whiskey for your PDs?
-I have been thinking about making a batch of peach brandy and using that for a PD. Is it worth the extra effort? Or would a neutral give me the same results?
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

I use the most neutral tasteless stuff I can make so that the clean berry flavor really comes through. This goes for all my flavored type stuff. I tried apple pie with sweet feed once. Just once. I stick with neutral.
Using Google Search

ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

I read the first 3 pages of this thread wondering how UJSSM would do... losing patience I fast forwarded to this last page and Lo and Behold it is directly stated to use neutral..
Bummer as my pot still dont spit out a neutral....
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
midlife-u-turn
Bootlegger

Post by midlife-u-turn »

I made it with a light rum and it turned out very good - Strawberry daiquiri in a bottle. Poured over crushed ice straight, the
Wifey really likes it.
smokeskrene4207
Swill Maker

Post by smokeskrene4207 »

I'm sorry if this has been asked but its now winter in Michigan(not quite yet but I'm prepared) and to save money my windows are covered with thick plastic to lock in heat from the wood burner. My question is what exactly do you get from the light from the window during steeping and making the syrup? Is it just a way to heat the liquid to make a better infusion with the fruit? And a way to slowly melt the sugar into a fruit syrup? Would it be the same if I put my jars on a shelf near the wood burner during infusion and syrup making? Only asking cuz I don't have much light coming in the windows this year.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

smokeskrene4207 wrote:I'm sorry if this has been asked but its now winter in Michigan(not quite yet but I'm prepared) and to save money my windows are covered with thick plastic to lock in heat from the wood burner. My question is what exactly do you get from the light from the window during steeping and making the syrup? Is it just a way to heat the liquid to make a better infusion with the fruit? And a way to slowly melt the sugar into a fruit syrup? Would it be the same if I put my jars on a shelf near the wood burner during infusion and syrup making? Only asking cuz I don't have much light coming in the windows this year.
I just sit mine on the counter. It gets no light. I don't think sunshine has any dog in the fight here.
Using Google Search

Johnnywhiskey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Johnnywhiskey »

Has anyone experienced pectin haze in their strawberry PD (or other PD)? In my last batch I noticed haze and some clumps forming when chilled for an extended period, or when I dilute. Not immediately, but over a day or two. The clumpier stuff can be filter out, but I haven't found a solution to the haze. This last batch was made with a much higher proof alcohol that in earlier batches (170p v. ~120p). Maybe the higher proof pulls out more of the pectins which then precipitates when I dilute?
Angry Miller
Novice

Post by Angry Miller »

First I made 5 gallons of strawberry wine, which became brandy. Used 150p on strawberries for a week then sugared till no more syrup would come off. Combined in a 2:1 ratio, and let sit as long as I could stand. May have diluted with water slightly to taste, don't remember. Using strawberry brandy was INFINATELY better tasting than neutral spirits. This is all I will use for PSD anymore!!
“Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.”- Mark Twain