strawberry panty-dropper

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jf77389
Novice

Re: strawberry panty-dropper

Post by jf77389 »

Thanks Jonny what would you expect proof would be starting with 130?
malt_lover
Novice

Post by malt_lover »

thirsty wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:19 pm I've made a million of these infusions, and the best, most interesting one I made was with fresh horseradish, fresh jalepeno, and garlic. It was delicious and herby. Makes an incredible bloody mary.
If you could please share the recipe with tasting notes and a pic.
Shine_Dad
Novice

Post by Shine_Dad »

I saw at least one person say they made this recipe with UJSM, but the wife is not traditionally a big fan of Whiskey.

The original recipe is a Brandy. So I'm thinking this needs to be based on some sort of 'neutral' Brandy. But Brandy's are all based on a fermented fruit...

Is there a specific 'basic brandy' recipe you guys can recommend I look into in order to ferment and distill the base my self so that it can be turned into this SPD? I'm new to distilling so I would be looking for something pretty 'UJSSM' simple to start out with to play with this idea hah.

I was offered a bunch of free cooking pears, and thought about using them to make a 'pear brandy' base to use for this, but someone told me they wouldn't do that. So i'm looking for a suggestion on a forum recipe that is a 'basic' brandy that I can work on.

Thanks!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Shine_Dad wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:18 amIs there a specific 'basic brandy' recipe you guys can recommend I look into in order to ferment and distill the base my self so that it can be turned into this SPD?

I'm new to distilling so I would be looking for something pretty 'UJSSM' simple to start out with to play with this idea … So i'm looking for a suggestion on a forum recipe that is a 'basic' brandy that I can work on.
A “neutral based spirit” would be best for the panty dropper. Because the fruit expression is a key flavor in a panty dropper, you’d want a base spirit that would complement, or at least not complicate the fruitiness.

I always use my preferred neutral base, Rad’s All Bran (see the T&T forum) for the panty droppers. It is clean and easy to make. Also, I prefer to distill to a reasonably high purity, like 170 to 180 proof, before macerating the fruit. The higher purity will bring out more of the fruit flavor from the pulp and will give you a higher %ABV after you’ve “sugar soaked” the residual pulp.

A brandy would work, especially a brandy made from the fruit variety you plan for the panty dropper. But, it would increase the cost of the additional fruit needed to make the must.

UJSSM would work too, especially if you distilled it to a higher purity too. Double, or triple distilling the UJ would give you higher %ABV and result in a sweeter spirit from the corn flavor. It wouldn’t have a “whiskey flavor” unless you used a spirit that had been aged on wood, which is where it would get the “whiskey” taste.

But, as a new hobbiest, I suggest trying a couple of different spirit bases for your PD. Experiment. Discover what you, or SWMBO, likes. Get creative. And enjoy the experience.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Shine_Dad wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:18 am I saw at least one person say they made this recipe with UJSM, but the wife is not traditionally a big fan of Whiskey.

The original recipe is a Brandy. So I'm thinking this needs to be based on some sort of 'neutral' Brandy. But Brandy's are all based on a fermented fruit...

Is there a specific 'basic brandy' recipe you guys can recommend I look into in order to ferment and distill the base my self so that it can be turned into this SPD? I'm new to distilling so I would be looking for something pretty 'UJSSM' simple to start out with to play with this idea hah.

I was offered a bunch of free cooking pears, and thought about using them to make a 'pear brandy' base to use for this, but someone told me they wouldn't do that. So I'm looking for a suggestion on a forum recipe that is a 'basic' brandy that I can work on.

Thanks!
At that price I would have a go at the pears!!
Not for the panty dropper though unless you want to, could make a nice brandy.

Geoff
The Baker
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Shine_Dad wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:18 am So i'm looking for a suggestion on a forum recipe that is a 'basic' brandy that I can work on.
Much of what I make is opportunistic, using what I've got or been given.

As long as the flavor of the base spirit isn't a mismatch for the strawberries, it's ok to use. Some sugar washes that have fruit or grain in them might not make fantastic spirits on their own, but they can make better SPD bases than plain old sugar washes.

UJSSM does not taste like whiskey, especially if it is white, so your wife might not object to the corn in a Panty dropper.

My wife isn't a whiskey drinker, but last night I gave her a sample of an experimental Baileys style Cream Whiskey that used newly made UJSSM and honey in the recipe and she loved it. I'll have more opinions from visitors in a couple of days.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Just a bump to say this recipe continues to delight. I make a lemon wine every year (search skeeter pee if interested) and the strawberry (and blueberry for fist time on request this year ) combined with my lemon wine…. We’ll let’s just say the recipe label gets confirmed often :clap: by numerous couples :oops:. The natives all love this recipe (especially the combination) and I’m pretty sure Columbus really used this in the New York trade negotiations ( I mean Beads?!? Really?!?).

Anyway I just made another batch to take to the beach next weekend. I rushed it. 24 hours of 70% on strawberries and 3 days of syrup making. Works good in the lemon wine, but suggest at least 36-48 hours on the alcohol as the base is this is a little bland.

My crew loves a 1.5 mix as a stand-alone on SBPD (gotta love a covert acronym :twisted: ). Ie 1 part base to .5 syrup (can always add more if you want it sweeter). This is my first blueberry so going to have to feel that ratio out.

Edit: I make this base use 65-70% (spirit pot still run+ cut of a basic sugar wash). On berries for x time (48 hours or so) then I dilute based on the OAP ( original alc %) to 40% and finally add sugar. Expect final product to be in the ~30% range. But considering my “mixer” is 10-12%) it packs an extreme punch and great for a day at the lake or beach. Total time is ~ 2 weeks from yeast pitch to finished product (lemon wine take long, but much larger batches 😎)
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Spike007
Novice

Post by Spike007 »

This isn't imo a brewers or distillers anything. This is a drink recipe. I personally am tired of ppl taking not homemade spirits and calling them their recipe for homemade distillates. I'm sure I'll make enemy's for this an I'm sure its good but I've been making spirits for over twenty years and this sounds more like a hard way to make a margarita than a home distilled spirit... spike!
“When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.”

—Henny Youngman.
Chug
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chug »

So my blackberry harvest was a bust this year, but it’s been a banner year for my Marechal Foch grapes. They’re a bit like a grape and a tart blueberry. I’m going to try a batch of SPD with the grapes and report back. Has anyone done something like this in the past?
94238F6D-8E67-47D0-AF50-7CD9CECDB350.jpeg
4B2B830B-F22E-4561-96C1-6D057DB67DE3.jpeg

5 gal homemade potstill -:- If it works, it ain’t stupid -:- Progress, not perfection
Chug
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chug »

Verdict is in - it’s not bad! Tastes quite a bit like port and the color is amazing.
EDA63507-FFDF-4185-9E41-B8EF0B98173E.jpeg

5 gal homemade potstill -:- If it works, it ain’t stupid -:- Progress, not perfection
Knife_man
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Knife_man »

I know that is an old thread but WOW! This is amazing stuff!

Not tested the efficiency of its panty dropping properties yet ,since the wife won't try anything I make (except when I top up her Smirnoff bottle without telling her😝) and I'm sure she wouldn't be too happy with me testing it on any of the young ladies from work , spoil sport.

Tempted to chuck everything into the reflux still to get more neutral to make panty dropper.

Got some peaches soaking and going to try pineapple next 😁.

Loving the labels as well.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

My wife doesn't drink vodka, not much spirits at all.
I got her to do the sniff test of my vodka, whatever, and compare.

Her verdict; Smirnoff, horrible.
Grey Goose, hmm, might be alright... (High praise, remember she doesn't like vodka....)
Mine, in between.

Geoff
The Baker
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Knife_man wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:51 am Not tested the efficiency of its panty dropping properties yet ,since the wife won't try anything I make (except when I top up her Smirnoff bottle without telling her😝) and I'm sure she wouldn't be too happy with me testing it on any of the young ladies from work , spoil sport.
try it on the young men instead?
Knife_man
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Knife_man »

squigglefunk wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:24 am
Knife_man wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:51 am Not tested the efficiency of its panty dropping properties yet ,since the wife won't try anything I make (except when I top up her Smirnoff bottle without telling her😝) and I'm sure she wouldn't be too happy with me testing it on any of the young ladies from work , spoil sport.
try it on the young men instead?

I'm not 100% sure about this but none of them seem like the sort to wear panties 🤣.

I guess the best way to find out is to share some panty dropper and wait to see what drops 🤣.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

lol oh man, that could be dangerous
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Wow. This thread has taken a strange turn…..
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

ShadyGdy
Novice

Post by ShadyGdy »

way too quickly!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I tried it on myself and it worked as advertised but i’m not a “young man”.

-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Dougmatt wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:11 pm Wow. This thread has taken a strange turn…..
I mean this stuff has a pretty strange/creepy name to begin with ...
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

squigglefunk wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:41 am
I mean this stuff has a pretty strange/creepy name to begin with ...
True…. And then another strange turn appears out of nowhere…,,
jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:01 pm I tried it on myself and it worked as advertised but i’m not a “young man”.
:shifty:

JAMAWG
Novice

Post by JAMAWG »

Properties confirmed. Multiple experiments, many successful drops. Have made cherry, strawberry, raspberry, and mixed berry. Its slowly disappeared. Last night I bottled up more strawberry and cherry. And for the first time blueberry. Taking some on a trip to Canada. Will report if its properties also work up there.
Mossback moonshiner in Cascadia.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

It’s summer time a coming in the US of A. Strawberry harvest was successful this year and Lemon wine and SPD are being made across the southern states (and beyond) I expect. My shed is full of thar pretty strawberry red color from the sunlight glinting through the jars. Thinking about trying ginger peach this year.

Any interesting summer flavors planned by others?

squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

pineapple is the one for me
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

squigglefunk wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:38 am pineapple is the one for me
I’ve been thinking about pineapple. Have to figure out how to do coconut (just haven’t researched yet) then plan to do coconut pinapple as well as lime in the coconut rums.

Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I have strawberry, peach, blueberry and pineapple going now.
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Tried my first attempt at this recipe. Well, when I say recipe I treated it more like a “process,” as I switched up the fruit used.

I made a peach and a blackberry following the original process And notes from other members.

For my base sprit, I used some clean neutral 95% (Shady’s) and made the decision to proof down to 60% ABV for the maceration.
For the fruit, I used frozen stuff.

The maceration worked very quickly. I read some posts in this thread about only macerating for 3-5 days. I took taste samples daily. I noticed my blackberry started picking up a slight tannic bitterness, so I pulled the trigger at 4 days and separated the berries from the spirit, making the syrup as outlined in the recipe. I noticed something similar happening with the peaches, but much more subtle.

I proofed down both to 40% ABV based on volumes and added 1 tbsp of fresh squeezed lemon juice per quart. After doing so, I noticed the tannin and bitterness was much more pronounced after dilution to drinking strength. It took quite a bit of the blackberry syrup to counteract this. The peach ones pulled so much sweetness from the fruit, I only had to add very little syrup.

This has me thinking, perhaps higher ABV macerations are working a little harder on the fruit and pulling bitter compounds along with the good stuff. I think next time I might try a lower ABV maceration to see what happens.

As for flavor of the final drinks, they’re pretty good. The blackberry has strong flavor, but it’s a bit one dimensional. I could see it making a nice addition in cocktails. The peach has a more subdued peach flavor, which is likely due to not macerating long enough. I could see myself macerating the peach at 40% ABV longer and skipping the dilution step.

One thing I’d like to try with the blackberry is making a milk punch cocktail out of it. Soaking the milk in graham cracker with a small amount of vanilla extract, then straining the solids out. I’d then add my blackberry spirit to the milk, letting it curdle and run it through a coffee filter. For the finished drink, I’d float a small amount of syrup on top. I’m thinking it could taste like blackberry pie.
TwoHedWlf
Novice

Post by TwoHedWlf »

pothead wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:42 am 1-2qts frozen strawberries
white granulated sugar
bottle of clear brandy or vodka
lemon juice
I'm planning to try making a batch of limoncello this weekend, so after removing the peels I'll have a bunch of lemons left. I was thinking of trying this recipe except with lemons. Anyone tried/have any tips?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

TwoHedWlf wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:18 pm
pothead wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:42 am 1-2qts frozen strawberries
white granulated sugar
bottle of clear brandy or vodka
lemon juice
I'm planning to try making a batch of limoncello this weekend, so after removing the peels I'll have a bunch of lemons left. I was thinking of trying this recipe except with lemons. Anyone tried/have any tips?
I have juiced the lemons and frozen the juice.

Geoff
The Baker