Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Bushman »

You bet it counts. Years ago HDNB sent me a copper plate that allowed me to build a top to my 5 gallon gin still.
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

Picked up 4 50 lb bags of corn yesterday for $9 per bag from a local farmer. He was down to 1 pallet left ... said he's sold over 3000 bags. Its enough for 3 batches of bourbon so it should last me all year.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

higgins wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:11 am Picked up 4 50 lb bags of corn yesterday for $9 per bag from a local farmer. He was down to 1 pallet left ... said he's sold over 3000 bags. Its enough for 3 batches of bourbon so it should last me all year.
Great price
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Got about 20 of these for a dollar each.
I know they convert easy. Iv used them before. Its just a pain to clear the wash after.
Attachments
20230208_185112.jpg
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Bradster68 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:18 am Got about 20 of these for a dollar each.
I know they convert easy. Iv used them before. Its just a pain to clear the wash after.
95% of my mashes use +-70% cornmeal (not cooked, but fine flour grind) and 30% fine ground oatmeal
i used to press, now just let it drip dry
takes about the same amount of time - with a lot less effort

good luck !!! should make a tasty drop!
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

EricTheRed wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:54 am
Bradster68 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:18 am Got about 20 of these for a dollar each.
95% of my mashes use +-70% cornmeal (not cooked, but fine flour grind) and 30% fine ground oatmeal
i used to press, now just let it drip dry
takes about the same amount of time - with a lot less effort

good luck !!! should make a tasty drop!
Ib been siphoning off the pail,then pouring the rest into 1 Gallon jugs cause they fit in the fridge and clear faster. It is very tasty
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

I just asked the plumber at work yesterday if he had any copper pipe. He said come on out to the truck and let's look. I ended up with 10ft of 3/4 in and 8 ft of 1in type L. And 2 1in x3/4 90's and 2 1x 3/4 reducer. Going to make a new condenser.....
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

For a very long time now Mrs Cranky has been on me about getting a new toolbox for home. I have pretty much fought her on this telling her I don't need another one.

The other day I was in the garage looking for the source of a mysterious beeping sound and she came out to help look...or maybe it was to give the search party a general location to look should the East tunnel collapse...again :roll:

Seeing my overflowing toolbox, various buckets of random tools, that I will never find, and the general chaos of the garage renewed her desire for me to get better organized with a new toolbox and as fate would have it an auction popped up with 50 or so of them. She grilled me about them and I reluctantly agreed to her buying one or two if they sold cheap enough. She and I have very different ideas of "cheap enough" but I watched the auction and told her when to stop...she didn't listen but I did tell her. :problem:

I have to say, most of the boxes went crazy and sold for far more than I felt they should but there was one box I was willing to let her go higher on and she won the auction with a $310 bid.

I'm not really sure that counts as a bargain, or even a good deal but I now have this nice Snap-On toolbox to put my disorganized mess in
TOOLBOX- C.jpg
It's 36" without the handle, 39 or 40 with it, I'm not sure how Snap-On measures them but new they are somewhere between $2,500 and $4,000. I've never been a big Snap-On fan and never felt a need to have a toolbox that cost more than my car but it is a very nice toolbox even if it doesn't photograph well.

On a related note this was the cheapest Snap-On box that sold in the auction, it actually sold for less than many of the Stanley boxes in the auction.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Wow great find. I need one to get all my stuff organized. I have everything in shelves and it get all piled up and har to find stuff. Congratulations on the new tool box. Jelly 😆
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

cranky wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:30 pm

On a related note this was the cheapest Snap-On box that sold in the auction, it actually sold for less than many of the Stanley boxes in the auction.
That’s one hellofaDeal! RU kidding me. Congratulations Cranky!
Mrs. Cranky done good :thumbup:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Need to get out and clean my shop.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

cranky wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:30 pm For a very long time now Mrs Cranky has been on me about getting a new toolbox for home. I have pretty much fought her on this telling her I don't need another one.

The other day I was in the garage looking for the source of a mysterious beeping sound and she came out to help look...or maybe it was to give the search party a general location to look should the East tunnel collapse...again :roll:

Seeing my overflowing toolbox, various buckets of random tools, that I will never find, and the general chaos of the garage renewed her desire for me to get better organized with a new toolbox and as fate would have it an auction popped up with 50 or so of them. She grilled me about them and I reluctantly agreed to her buying one or two if they sold cheap enough. She and I have very different ideas of "cheap enough" but I watched the auction and told her when to stop...she didn't listen but I did tell her. :problem:

I have to say, most of the boxes went crazy and sold for far more than I felt they should but there was one box I was willing to let her go higher on and she won the auction with a $310 bid.

I'm not really sure that counts as a bargain, or even a good deal but I now have this nice Snap-On toolbox to put my disorganized mess in
TOOLBOX- C.jpg
It's 36" without the handle, 39 or 40 with it, I'm not sure how Snap-On measures them but new they are somewhere between $2,500 and $4,000. I've never been a big Snap-On fan and never felt a need to have a toolbox that cost more than my car but it is a very nice toolbox even if it doesn't photograph well.

Tool boxes are like gun safes, buy bigger than you think you need, as they soon become full. This is my old work box from when I was an Acura tech. Its one of 3 tool boxes in my garage. The other two are from my time as an assembler at "The Lazy B" they're much smaller, and mostly full of gun parts and copper bits-n-bobs with some odds and end tools that I could honestly do without.
image.png
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Wildcats wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:17 am Wow great find. I need one to get all my stuff organized. I have everything in shelves and it get all piled up and har to find stuff. Congratulations on the new tool box. Jelly 😆
Stonecutter wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:34 am That’s one hellofaDeal! RU kidding me. Congratulations Cranky!
Mrs. Cranky done good :thumbup:
Thank you :D
Bushman wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:37 am Need to get out and clean my shop.
It's on my to do list for sure, especially now that I have a new shop. Maybe this will be the year Mrs Cranky finally gets to park in the garage :roll:
Deplorable wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:29 pm Tool boxes are like gun safes, buy bigger than you think you need, as they soon become full. This is my old work box from when I was an Acura tech. Its one of 3 tool boxes in my garage. The other two are from my time as an assembler at "The Lazy B" they're much smaller, and mostly full of gun parts and copper bits-n-bobs with some odds and end tools that I could honestly do without.
I find that isn't completely the case. For the 10 years I worked on the road. Mrs Cranky and I traveled in a 1988 Olds Delta 88 so my tools and toolbox had to be both organized and compact. My work box was (and still is) shadowed with foam inserts. When I left a place I could roll my toolbox out to the parking lot, remove the foam inserts with tools in them and neatly place them in the trunk, along with the top box, then lift the bottom box into the X-Cargo topper by myself and be gone in under 5 minutes...Most of the jobs...(or my tolerance for them)...only lasted 3 to 6 months and we always took November and December off. Traveling light and efficiently was important.

I worked with a lot of guys who had huge toolboxes that took many people and often a forklift to get in and out of their truck. I even knew a guy who's toolbox was so big and heavy he had to attach an electric drive motor just to move it. I've seen big boxes cause major problems. One time when there was a mass layoff with dozens of contractors leaving at the same time the guards decided they were going to limit the number of people allowed to drive inside and get there toolboxes on a given day and as I rolled my box past the guard shack I saw some poor guy with one of those giant boxes arguing with the guards about not letting him in to get his box. I loaded mine in the parking lot and was long gone before he got anywhere.

These days those things aren't so important and never really were with my home boxes so it's nice to have a nice size box. The auction actually had some really big boxes but I don't want a single box taking up space, I'd rather have multiple smaller boxes that can easily be moved or be where they are needed the most.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I get that. I moved that home in a thee stall horse trailer. It's perfect in the middle stall. Heavy as shit and yah, now that I'm out of that business, most of its contents rarely get used.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I bought a 20” professional planer that weighed a ton had it forklifted to the center of my trailer over the wheels. Got it home and used another vehicle to drag it toward the back of the trailer. It was on a pallet. Backed the trailer into the outbuilding and used a manual crane hoist over my loft beam to lift it off and lower it in rollers to m9ve it around.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

On a related note, when I was picking up my toolbox there was a Tesla there doing the same. while waiting for mine I watched them load it onto what I think was a bike rack. He strapped it on with 2 cheap Harbor Freight ratchet straps.

After loading my box we headed home and for once decided to take the freeway ro save a little time.

That's when we saw this
Tesla.jpeg
This guy was driving down the freeway at 55-60 MPH with this toolbox leaning precariously to the side :crazy: The picture isn't very good because Mrs Cranky isn't very good at using her phones camera. I should have gotten behind him and made her video it for my Youtube channel but I didn't think fast enough. I have to wonder why the guy loading it with the forklift didn't lay it on it's back and center it because he had to know what this guy was doing was not safe.
JollyPirate
Novice

Post by JollyPirate »

I recently got 80 inches of unused 2 inch type L copper pipe for FREE.

It’s been sitting in the basement of the building I work in for about a year now (I think it was leftover from a boiler job). I asked the maintenance chief if anyone would miss it. After going down to the basement he replied, “I don’t know anything about any copper pipe down there” and winked :wink: .

I know type L is a little tougher to work with, but hey free is free. Combine that with the $20 decommissioned keg I got this past weekend, and I’m beginning to feel like I’m making progress.
ἓν οἶδα, ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

JollyPirate wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:54 am I recently got 80 inches of unused 2 inch type L copper pipe for FREE.

It’s been sitting in the basement of the building I work in for about a year now (I think it was leftover from a boiler job). I asked the maintenance chief if anyone would miss it. After going down to the basement he replied, “I don’t know anything about any copper pipe down there” and winked :wink: .

I know type L is a little tougher to work with, but hey free is free. Combine that with the $20 decommissioned keg I got this past weekend, and I’m beginning to feel like I’m making progress.
Nice
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

cranky wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:51 am On a related note, when I was picking up my toolbox there was a Tesla there doing the same. while waiting for mine I watched them load it onto what I think was a bike rack. He strapped it on with 2 cheap Harbor Freight ratchet straps.

After loading my box we headed home and for once decided to take the freeway ro save a little time.

That's when we saw this
Tesla.jpeg
This guy was driving down the freeway at 55-60 MPH with this toolbox leaning precariously to the side :crazy: The picture isn't very good because Mrs Cranky isn't very good at using her phones camera. I should have gotten behind him and made her video it for my Youtube channel but I didn't think fast enough. I have to wonder why the guy loading it with the forklift didn't lay it on it's back and center it because he had to know what this guy was doing was not safe.
Utube channel? Gotta link?
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Bushman wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:07 am I bought a 20” professional planer that weighed a ton had it forklifted to the center of my trailer over the wheels. Got it home and used another vehicle to drag it toward the back of the trailer. It was on a pallet. Backed the trailer into the outbuilding and used a manual crane hoist over my loft beam to lift it off and lower it in rollers to m9ve it around.
Damn I thought I was doing good picking up a 13" planer

Be safe
OVZ
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bradster68 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:28 pm Utube channel? Gotta link?
Sorry but no :think: I keep this site and the youtube channels very separate, it's not like I have much on it :roll: and there is nothing related to distilling...well almost nothing and what is is only kind of sort of in a roundabout way.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:07 am I bought a 20” professional planer that weighed a ton had it forklifted to the center of my trailer over the wheels. Got it home and used another vehicle to drag it toward the back of the trailer. It was on a pallet. Backed the trailer into the outbuilding and used a manual crane hoist over my loft beam to lift it off and lower it in rollers to m9ve it around.
Oldvine Zin wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:46 pm Damn I thought I was doing good picking up a 13" planer

Be safe
OVZ
I'd really like a planer of any size...and a lot of other woodworking tools but... :roll:
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Local Homebrew shop went out of business and had a fire sale. Me and the neighbor went on their last day, today and cleaned up.

I spent $130 and got:
-15lbs flaked corn
-19lbs flaked oats
-33lbs flaked barley
-27lbs random crystal malts
-7lbs DAP
-they tossed in the 5 gallon oak barrel for free.
IMG_25022023_113457_(2250_x_3000_pixel).jpg
My neighbor spent $105 and got:
-A sweet stainless fruit press
-Glass 5gal carboy
IMG_25022023_113404_(3000_x_2250_pixel).jpg
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:40 am Local Homebrew shop went out of business and had a fire sale. Me and the neighbor went on their last day, today and cleaned up.

I spent $130 and got:
-15lbs flaked corn
-19lbs flaked oats
-33lbs flaked barley
-7lbs DAP

-Glass 5gal carboy

7lbs of DAP!? 😁

Set for life!
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

LordL wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:18 am
Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:40 am Local Homebrew shop went out of business and had a fire sale. Me and the neighbor went on their last day, today and cleaned up.

I spent $130 and got:
-15lbs flaked corn
-19lbs flaked oats
-33lbs flaked barley
-7lbs DAP

-Glass 5gal carboy

7lbs of DAP!? 😁

Set for life!
You'd be surprised how much you use in a 30 gallon ferment.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:19 am

I spent $130 and got:
-15lbs flaked corn
-19lbs flaked oats
-33lbs flaked barley
-7lbs DAP

-Glass 5gal carboy

7lbs of DAP!? 😁

Set for life!
Thought I was good with like a table spoon for a 5 gallon batch? 😅
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

I spent $130 and got:
-15lbs flaked corn
-19lbs flaked oats
-33lbs flaked barley
-7lbs DAP

-Glass 5gal carboy

7lbs of DAP!? 😁

Set for life!
That's about 762 tspns😳😳
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bradster68 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:33 am

I spent $130 and got:
-15lbs flaked corn
-19lbs flaked oats
-33lbs flaked barley
-7lbs DAP

-Glass 5gal carboy

7lbs of DAP!? 😁

Set for life!
That's about 762 tspns😳😳
I mean... you can see the picture. It's not that much.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

That looks like a Barrel Mill Barrel. Did they have any idea what it previously held? Just beer?
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Deplorable wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:23 pm That looks like a Barrel Mill Barrel. Did they have any idea what it previously held? Just beer?
It is a barrel mill barrel.
It was a homebrew shop, so I'm assuming it was used for beer. Smells like beer. Not very hoppy though. It smells malty like an English ale or a bock.