Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Bradster68 »

I got a free 50lb bag of precooked cornmeal . Not sure what I'll do with it yet or if I can do something with it?
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Bradster68 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:47 am I got a free 50lb bag of precooked cornmeal . Not sure what I'll do with it yet or if I can do something with it?
Well, the squirrels would love it!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Is the brand GOYA or perhaps PAN? Masarena is whole corn that has been ground to a meal or flour after cooking rather than raw. A close family friend from Columbia has made traditional arepas, akin to a corn pancake, and it tastes just like cornmeal, but without the grittyness. Yours may have been made with white or yellow corn.

Your bag of corn, whether meal or flour, has been pre-gelatinized and should convert quite easily and make for a fine all-grain bourbon, if that's what you like. I'd still use enzymes although like with flaked corn, it won't require boiling temps, more like 160F. You will benefit from letting your completed ferment clear before running, IMO.

I'd say you got a valuable bag 'o goodness waiting to happen.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Twisted Brick wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:44 am Is the brand GOYA or perhaps PAN? Masarena is whole corn that has been ground to a meal or flour after cooking rather than raw. A close family friend from Columbia has made traditional arepas, akin to a corn pancake, and it tastes just like cornmeal, but without the grittyness. Yours may have been made with white or yellow corn.

Your bag of corn, whether meal or flour, has been pre-gelatinized and should convert quite easily and make for a fine all-grain bourbon, if that's what you like. I'd still use enzymes although like with flaked corn, it won't require boiling temps, more like 160F. You will benefit from letting your completed ferment clear before running, IMO.

I'd say you got a valuable bag 'o goodness waiting to happen.
Your right on the money.Bourbon is what I long to master. Iv done four all grain bourbons so far.Its getting better,but still a long way to go. I'll definitely be putting this to good use now I know it's value. There a store around the corner that gives away free food of all kinds they had 6 bags,I'll be heading back tomorrow see if they are still there.
Thanks for the heads up🍻
20220714_211549.jpg
Big River
Novice

Post by Big River »

Went by a local rice dryer, there was about 1000 pounds of accidental spilled long grain rice on the ground - they were leaving it for the birds. Snagged about 150 lbs for free cuz got 50 gal plastic barrel. Good and dry, need to grind before boiling and angel yeast.
Shine_Dad
Novice

Post by Shine_Dad »

Picked up a 15.5 gallon keg on MarketPlace for $25 !!!

And it's in better condition than the one I bought for $50 that my rig is built with.

Can't wait to use this bad boy in a year or two on my larger build. Going to make a nice thumper!

Gotta check those online classifieds Daily for deals and sometimes you get lucky!!
keg_deal.JPG
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I've been working on a little project for the past month or two and reached a point where I need about a thimble full of paste wax. I haven't wanted to spend the money to buy it but was going to because my project just can't move forward without it...That is until yesterday when I happened to stop at a local estate sale.

At this estate sale I noticed a sign on a cabinet door that said "Paint and supplies--FREE" or something to that effect, so me being me I opened the cabinet and had a peek to see if there was anything I could use and lo and behold I found a 4 lbs can of Johnson's paste wax, I figured even if it only had a little in it it would save me the money of buying a can just to get a thimble full of wax. So I grabbed it and a couple of cans of wood stain and some wood filler. Then looking around I found a pretty nice Ridgid drill for $10.
RIDGID DRILL - C.jpg
Which I think was a pretty good deal. They also thanked me for taking the free wax and stain off their hands.

Tonight I was telling Mrs Cranky about the wax and she asked if it was old and dried up :problem: I hadn't even thought to look so I got the can out of the garage to open it up and look. That's when I noticed it appeared to have never been opened. I also noticed it's old enough that it doesn't have a UPC symbol.
FREE WAX - C.jpg
So just out of curiosity I opened the lid and found that indeed it had never been opened. I don't know what a 4 lbs can of wax would cost these days but I think free was a very good price :ebiggrin:
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Cranky
you SCORED on that wax.
If all you need is a tiny bit you can send the rest to me.
I use it on the tops of all my stationary wood working equipment.
makes wood slide like it is on ball-barrings
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Anyone who was in the army before the current generation knows the value of Johnsons paste wax. That stuff is amazing on a lot of surfaces, not just the barracks floors. I imagine this softer gentler army that doesn't even have to shine boots probably has carpet in the barracks and a cleaning service.
Good score.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

3 beautiful avocados
4 large lemons
1/4 bunch of apple bananas
1/4 bunch of Cuban apple bananas
140+ lbs of starfruit
And 430 lbs of jackfruit(16 of 'em)
jackfruit.jpg
The one in front of the 2gal cooler is 40lbs.
Last edited by juana_b on Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

juana_b wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:14 pm 3 beautiful avocados
4 large lemons
140+ lbs of starfruit
Nice score. I'd love to be able to try using starfruit for wine and brandy. I have sun dried them into a very yummy sticky treat while house sitting in the tropics.

Jackfruit looks like trouble :D but I bet a nice brandy can be made if you can figure out how to do it.
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

NZChris wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:58 pm
juana_b wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:14 pm 3 beautiful avocados
4 large lemons
140+ lbs of starfruit
Nice score. I'd love to be able to try using starfruit for wine and brandy. I have sun dried them into a very yummy sticky treat while house sitting in the tropics.

Jackfruit looks like trouble :D but I bet a nice brandy can be made if you can figure out how to do it.
This will be my first with starfruit, and yes, dried they are amazing.
As the jackfruit goes, it's SO much more than a pain in the a$$. But a 1000% worth it.
Edit: I cut a 35+pounder the other night, took me 1.5hrs and yeilded 15+ lbs of usable fruit.
I'll update here:viewtopic.php?p=7685042#p7685042.
Last year I put it through the Boka going wide open in hearts, I think this time I'll try pot with 2 runs.
― Charles Ives
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

A few days ago I picked up a broyeur (scratter) and pressoir (fruit press) for €150. Three of us have split the purchase cost and will be splitting the labour for collecting and pressing apples as well. The press needs the wooden base rebuilding, but the mechanism (a metal screw and rachet mechanism) is in perfect condition. This will bring the cost of apple juice down from 80 cents / litre to 0 - 20 cents / litre (depending on the cost of the apples). My target for apple brandy production this year is 75-100 litres (of juice... not brandy) with a view to getting a larger fermenter (or more buckets) next year.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

I don't consider furniture too much or care about it, and I imagine that many in the crowd around here don't either. Some women swoon over good furniture though. I know a little bit about antiques; enough to know that this couch or divan was pricey $$$ when it was new and probably still is now. It's purdy but I'd be afraid to mess it up by sitting on it.
twellshot002.jpg
Looking for information concerning the dimensions and capacities of commercial chicken barns of all things, yesterday I stumbled upon this website – because of it's name (Big Chicken Barn). I'd like to check out that antique's barn looking for books, if it weren't about 2,500 miles away and if gasoline were cheaper.

https://www.bigchickenbarn.com/
Omnia mea mecum porto
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Was at the farmers market and found Redonda Panela on clearance. $.69 for a 14oz pack. Bought their last 11 packs. Just enough for another Panela batch (just finishing up 100lbs from sugar daddy).
Attachments
A3824482-2B51-4699-B9F1-366CD38D915B.jpeg
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

Dougmatt wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:23 pm Was at the farmers market and found Redonda Panela on clearance. $.69 for a 14oz pack. Bought their last 11 packs. Just enough for another Panela batch (just finishing up 100lbs from sugar daddy).
Nice score.
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Post by Wyododge »

My well pump stopped working the other day, major sphincter constriction. Went out to investigate and the controller was ‘buzzing’. Less pf a constriction, but still a $500 problem. Took it off and noticed a chip out of the side of a tiny little black three pronged gizmo on the circuit board. Took it all apart and rigged it up in the fly vise to look the rough the old man lens and saw there was writing on it. Pulled up the brave web browser and to my astonishment, it was a tiny little scr. $.68. So I figured what do I have to lose. Ordered three so I had a spare when I dropped the first two. De-soldered the old (melted a bit of the old man looking glass in the process. Wife got a good laugh). Soldered in the new one, first try and the damn thing worked. Couldn’t believe it. Not technically a good deal, but the $490 I saved might be able to go towards a decent grain mill if the finance department approves. Hope I didn’t use up all my luck.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

It's fruit season here. The free center where I live was a jackpot yesterday. I especially love the edlderflower syrup ( I'm thinking infusion of some kind).i talked to a volunteer there and hope to score a few hundred pounds of over ripe fruit also.
Attachments
20220921_082655.jpg
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Today at an estate sale I found a suitable stopper for my Webb decanter for only $2
WEBB DECANTER #2B.jpg
WEBB DECANTER #2A.jpg
This turns my $6 thrift store decanter into a $100+ decanter :ebiggrin:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Good buy.

I have used automotive valve grinding paste to seat the stoppers...

Geoff
The Baker
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Picked up a 50 litre ss pot at 75% off regular price. Bring delivered Monday
Now I'll be able to mash each fermenter in a single pan
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Post by Old Dog New Tricks »

Scored a Brewing setup on marketplace for only $150.00
3- 6.5 gal Carboys w/ straps / Handles
2 - 10 gal Igloo coolers / Mash ton w/ S.S. false bottom- 1 - Lauder Tun
1 - 15.5 Keggle w/Drain Thermometer
! - Brix Reader
2 - 7 Gal buckets w/Drains
1 - 50 foot copper condenser
1 - 30 foot S.S. condenser
4 - 1 gal Glass jugs
1 - 2000 ml glass beaker
a box of hoses and misc. stuff , Haven't gone thru just yet
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Old Dog New Tricks wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:44 pm Scored a Brewing setup on marketplace for only $150.00
! - Brix Reader
4 - 1 gal Glass jugs
1 - 2000 ml glass beaker
I know you know you STOLE that :thumbup: Awesome score!
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Salt Must Flow wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:58 pm
Old Dog New Tricks wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:44 pm Scored a Brewing setup on marketplace for only $150.00
! - Brix Reader
4 - 1 gal Glass jugs
1 - 2000 ml glass beaker
Salt, Estimated New cost OVER $900.00... Made me smile all day today, But a little sad for the guy that had his wife list it...( Neutered)...lol
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Old Dog New Tricks wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:11 pm
! - Brix Reader
4 - 1 gal Glass jugs
1 - 2000 ml glass beaker
Salt, Estimated New cost OVER $900.00... Made me smile all day today, But a little sad for the guy that had his wife list it...( Neutered)...lol
"Had his wife list it". :lol: :lol: :lol: I wouldn't feel sad at all. If he allowed HER to list it and set the price then he deserves it. Hopefully he learned something. If so, you can be proud that you taught him a valuable lesson and he will never forge you as long as he lives :ebiggrin: If not then no reason to care at all :thumbup:
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Salt Must Flow wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:41 pm
! - Brix Reader
4 - 1 gal Glass jugs
1 - 2000 ml glass beaker
"Had his wife list it". :lol: :lol: :lol: I wouldn't feel sad at all. If he allowed HER to list it and set the price then he deserves it. Hopefully he learned something. If so, you can be proud that you taught him a valuable lesson and he will never forge you as long as he lives :ebiggrin: If not then no reason to care at all :thumbup:
I actualy offered less than asking price, Because "She" sold 2 of the Carboys out from under me, Listing was for 5 of the 6.5 Carboys, Still smiling... :D :D :D
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

Old Dog New Tricks wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:50 pm

I actualy offered less than asking price, Because "She" sold 2 of the Carboys out from under me, Listing was for 5 of the 6.5 Carboys, Still smiling... :D :D :D
😯 Wow
― Charles Ives
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Picked up a drill press from Bunnings, 30% off because it was returned with no packaging!

You know what it will be used for.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

! - Brix Reader
4 - 1 gal Glass jugs
1 - 2000 ml glass beaker
Great find
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Old Dog New Tricks wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:50 pm

I just hope after i am gone my wife doesn't sell the fishing stuff for what i told her it cost....... :oops: