Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Deplorable »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:36 pm
Uncle Jesse wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:41 pm Got a 6.5 gallon glass carboy today for $10. It was used and dirty and sitting in the More Beer outlet on a shelf. Has a thermometer strip as well. I'll clean it up and it will be good as new.
You could always fill it with pocket change.
ss
I did that once with a plastic one. It took me over a decade to get it 3/4 full. Took days to roll all them coins. About $1200 USD. Heavy as fuck. Never again.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Uncle Jesse wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:41 pm Got a 6.5 gallon glass carboy today for $10. It was used and dirty and sitting in the More Beer outlet on a shelf. Has a thermometer strip as well. I'll clean it up and it will be good as new.
Nice :thumbup:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I bought 2 boxes of apples today for $10
SALE #1 - C.PNG
I passed up 6 boxes or 8 boxes of over ripe but not rotten persimmons because I just don't have time to deal with them :(
Bryan1
Swill Maker

Post by Bryan1 »

Missus came home with a plastic bag saying she found a Uniden 3 phone setup at cash converters for $15 and putting each phone charge clearly see's the batteries are gone. So looking on fleabay saw 3 batteries for $8.85 Au. Had a good look at the pic then went off to a look at some Aussie battery sellers online well $6 to $8 each battery and yes the same pic of the fleabay ones.

So for $23 got a set of 3 Uniden cordless phones that are only a couple of years old
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Got 130 lbs of Aunt Jemima cornmeal muffin mix for $6.75!!! Corn meal and wheat flour mainly, add enzymes and Bob's your uncle. I dont even have to grind it. The lady at the checkout said "you must really like those muffins" and I told her it was for the kids at bible school. I waited for lightning to strike me but so far so good!!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Last week I was given 200 one ounce packages of Albanese gummy bears
GUMMY BEARS 01 JAN 23 - C.JPG
There is the potential of getting more over the next week or two. I read the label and see nothing that would prevent them from fermenting so... :think:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I also got 5 pounds of smoked almonds for free :ebiggrin: Not sure what I'm going to do with those but I'll think of something :problem:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I got another 100 packages of gummy bears today :D
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Now I thought I might give Y'all a heads up of some possible good deals, especially for you PNW guys.

There was a brew shop in Lakewood Wa (South of Tacoma) that recently went out of business. What is left is being sold at an online auction
https://cyberauctions.com/Lots.php?cid= ... 75&srid=49

There is a lot of good stuff and a lot of potentially good deals.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Thanks Cranky I am heading to our condo on Hood Canal tomorrow and will be driving by. Will see if the store will be open to stop by.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:41 am Thanks Cranky I am heading to our condo on Hood Canal tomorrow and will be driving by. Will see if the store will be open to stop by.
I'm pretty sure they are already closed. Elhi auction has it all listed for an online auction with the closing date of the January 12th.
image.png
image.png

It always makes me sad to see another brew shop go under. I almost went there in October when I needed sealing wax because they were the only ones I could find with burgundy wax but I wound up settling on "Christmas red" instead.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Got 440 lbs bananas today for free. Been researching banana brandy. I know people say flavor doesn't come through well,but I'm about to start a banana experiment of my own.ill make a thread and post as I go.

Edit

I think iv read most of em BM. Gonna try to rig a baking rack over wood stove to bake em slowly.
Attachments
20230106_160946.jpg
Last edited by Bradster68 on Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

We have a few threads on the subject. Good score on the bananas.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

cranky wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:50 pm
Bushman wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:41 am Thanks Cranky I am heading to our condo on Hood Canal tomorrow and will be driving by. Will see if the store will be open to stop by.
I'm pretty sure they are already closed. Elhi auction has it all listed for an online auction with the closing date of the January 12th.

image.png
image.png

It always makes me sad to see another brew shop go under. I almost went there in October when I needed sealing wax because they were the only ones I could find with burgundy wax but I wound up settling on "Christmas red" instead.
Its disappointing to see them fold. the closer one to me charges more for their grains and has a smaller selection.
I really miss going to Larry's when he was on 212th in Kent. I am glad you posted this auction though, because I'm getting close to needed to go get grains for another single malt barrel fill project.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:47 pm

image.png
image.png

Its disappointing to see them fold. the closer one to me charges more for their grains and has a smaller selection.
I really miss going to Larry's when he was on 212th in Kent. I am glad you posted this auction though, because I'm getting close to needed to go get grains for another single malt barrel fill project.
I miss Larry's, they were reasonably priced and super convenient to me :( Nothing is convenient anymore.

I went through the auction and made a list of what I'm interested in...not that I will buy much.
The only grains I see are these
https://cyberauctions.com/ItemShow.php? ... &order=lot
and these
https://cyberauctions.com/ItemShow.php? ... &order=lot
JAMAWG
Novice

Post by JAMAWG »

image.png
image.png

Thanks Cranky! I manged to score some decent deals at the auction. Still Spirits copper column, some glass carboys and growlers. Picking them up tomorrow.
Mossback moonshiner in Cascadia.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

JAMAWG wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:18 am

image.png
image.png

Thanks Cranky! I manged to score some decent deals at the auction. Still Spirits copper column, some glass carboys and growlers. Picking them up tomorrow.
Glad I could help :ebiggrin:

Truth be told I got busy and completely forgot about it so I'm glad someone got some good stuff :D
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Today I got some one pound gummy bears,T-Rex's and unicorns for $1 each :D

I also got a bunch of faceted LED Christmas lights for 54 cents a box and some Broyhill Christmas door mats and various other tacky Christmas decorations at 90% off!!!! :ebiggrin:

Next Christmas my house will be seen from space!!! :mrgreen:
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I found a hair removal wax warmer for 10.00 US. I didn't think it would work but I was proven wrong. One side has copper wax and the other is black.
Attachments
20230114_222637.jpg
20230114_222657.jpg
20230114_124002.jpg
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

cranky wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:31 pm Today I got some one pound gummy bears,T-Rex's and unicorns for $1 each :D

I also got a bunch of faceted LED Christmas lights for 54 cents a box and some Broyhill Christmas door mats and various other tacky Christmas decorations at 90% off!!!! :ebiggrin:

Your on gummy overload. Did u figure out if u gonna make something yet. I get tons of free candy and sweets
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bradster68 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:18 am
cranky wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:31 pm Today I got some one pound gummy bears,T-Rex's and unicorns for $1 each :D

Your on gummy overload. Did u figure out if u gonna make something yet. I get tons of free candy and sweets
I am on gummy overload but I have a plan :mrgreen:

Most of the 1# animals will be repackaged are going to Mrs Cranky's sisters grandchildren for Easter, They aren't alowed sugar but how could their parents deny them a gift from their mysterious great aunt who lives all the way on the other side of the country? :lol:

I probably shouldn't reveal this part but I have a plan to make a video about having gummy bear trees and making gummy bear wine. Hopefully I can figure out how to ferment them.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

cranky wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:33 am
Bradster68 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:18 am

I am on gummy overload but I have a plan :mrgreen:

Most of the 1# animals will be repackaged are going to Mrs Cranky's sisters grandchildren for Easter, They aren't alowed sugar but how could their parents deny them a gift from their mysterious great aunt who lives all the way on the other side of the country? :lol:

I probably shouldn't reveal this part but I have a plan to make a video about having gummy bear trees and making gummy bear wine. Hopefully I can figure out how to ferment them.
Ahhh. A plan. I probably couldn't have resisted an experiment either.🍻
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bradster68 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:49 pm Ahhh. A plan. I probably couldn't have resisted an experiment either.🍻
I really would like to distill them but people have helped me collect them and few know I distill but they all know I make wine and often give it out at Christmas so this will probably be next years Christmas wine. I expect they would come out something like the fruit loops someone (MCH?) sent me some years ago.

Here are some pics of the big ones, I placed a regular size gummy for a size comparison
GIANT BEAR - C.jpg
GIANT UNICORN - C.jpg
T-REX - C.jpg
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

cranky wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:14 pm
Bradster68 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:49 pm Ahhh. A plan. I probably couldn't have resisted an experiment either.🍻
I really would like to distill them but people have helped me collect them and few know I distill but they all know I make wine and often give it out at Christmas so this will probably be next years Christmas wine. I expect they would come out something like the fruit loops someone (MCH?) sent me some years ago.

Here are some pics of the big ones, I placed a regular size gummy for a size comparison
GIANT BEAR - C.jpg
GIANT UNICORN - C.jpg
T-REX - C.jpg
Lmao.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.those are huge.iv never heard of em that big,and I got grandkids I spoil often. But, Anything is possible so it may make an Interesting sip.

EDIT. I just googled ingredients, it's very doable for a GB Wine.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yeah my granddaughters would love those , one is a unicorn fan, another loves dinosaurs........never seen them like that here either.
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

$2/lb US and free shipping. Best price I've seen where I live.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

cranky wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:33 am Hopefully I can figure out how to ferment them.
I'm pretty sure you can.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:25 pm Yeah my granddaughters would love those , one is a unicorn fan, another loves dinosaurs........never seen them like that here either.
If you were in the US I'd sent them to you, too bad your not :(
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I found the video interesting. That is the first I've seen alcohol made out of them so I think I'm on the right track. I'll probably start a thread on it when I begin the fermenting process. I figure at the very least they need nutrients and I've been working out what else might be needed. I really would like to distill it and may have to look into buying some so I can actually distill them.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I got a gift from TB for my birthday. Does that count?
image.png
A 3" pot still head. stuffed with 3 bottles of his spirits to sample.
This will mate up to my shotgun condenser real nice once I modify my spare 2" lid for my milk can with a 3 inch ferrule.
Been a while since Ive had to do cleaning runs on anything. LOL