reflux to pot still

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hondo Gringo
Novice

reflux to pot still

Post by Hondo Gringo »

Hi, I have a reflux still but want to use it as a pot still as I have access to pure sugar cane and want to make rum. If I remove all of the copper packing, will it work as a pot still?
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: reflux to pot still

Post by Prairiepiss »

Depends on what kind of reflux still you have? Here read through this thread it will help you determined what kind of reflux still you have. Then let us know so we can give you the correct info for your still.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 46&t=13360
Ok two threads.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 46&t=13342
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Hondo Gringo
Novice

Post by Hondo Gringo »

I have a turbo stomper bought 8 years ago from stilldrinkin
Hondo Gringo
Novice

Post by Hondo Gringo »

I have been basiclly making vodka in the reflux still. I want more flavor. I am also, believe it or not, in an area where cracked corn is almost impossible to find and whole kernel corn is not easy. That's ok cause I want to malt the corn anyway.
After the corn sprouts, can I kill it by boiling? OR; can I just spread it out in the hot sun for a few hours? I don't have any way to roast it.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Hondo Gringo wrote:I have a turbo stomper bought 8 years ago from stilldrinkin
Your one of the unlucky ones who actually received a still from that crook. :shock:

Have some news for you. It's not really a reflux still. It's a pot still that he claims is a reflux still. And really its not a good design no mater how you look at it. But if you have been using it this long. More power to you.
Hondo Gringo wrote:I have been basiclly making vodka in the reflux still. I want more flavor. I am also, believe it or not, in an area where cracked corn is almost impossible to find and whole kernel corn is not easy. That's ok cause I want to malt the corn anyway.
After the corn sprouts, can I kill it by boiling? OR; can I just spread it out in the hot sun for a few hours? I don't have any way to roast it.
No do not boil it. You will kill the enzymes you need to convert the starches to sugars. Air drying in the sun will work. But you need to do a lot more research about malting before you proceed. Along with All Grain AG mashing. So you know the why's and why nots. There is a lot more to AG mashing then just cooking.
Last edited by Prairiepiss on Fri May 04, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Indirect heat from the sun would be my choice rather than direct sunlight...
Hondo Gringo
Novice

Post by Hondo Gringo »

indirect haet from the sun to dry the malted corn such as?? under black plastic?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

to dry something you want air to circulate, so no on the plastic. spread it out on screen or similar.