Cornflakes whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Cornflakes whiskey

Post by Odin »

Try Fleischmann's

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
metalmarc
Novice

Post by metalmarc »

I'm currently experimenting with popcorn....corn.
That's the best i could find in the netherlands.
Because i'd love to make a corn whisky without the sugar.

Got a 10KG (22 pounds) bag of it online, tried malting it, about 80% germinated, dried it and did a little test mash yesterday.
Got 1 gallon of water and 1,5KG (3.3 pounds) of cracked malted corn. mashed it for 1,5 hours between 146-156F (64-69 C).
But only got a meagre SG of 1.030.

Will try it again when the enzymes get here to see if i can get it higher, if not i guess Odin's cornflakes whisky it is.
OldShiner
Novice

Post by OldShiner »

Hi all.
I'm new on this forum but have made a few of Odins CFW and i'm quite impressed. Thanks Odin.
I have made all grain bourbon for many years and was Googling for an extract method when I first discovered this CFW thread.
So while I do like the CFW it is not quite close enough to Bourbon how my tastes and I have been experimenting with other ways to make a simple yet delicious Bourbon. I must say that I also find the Cornflakes a bit troublesome.

So now My Question, and yes I have read every post in this thread.
Has anyone tried using caned corn, caned sweet corn or canned creamed corn? Or even frozen corn that has been thawed and blended with some water?
I recon this would be even easier than cornflakes and yield a little extra wash.

I just thought i would ask first as it could save me wasting my time if it doesn't work.

Also for a more authentic bourbon taste I have adapted this CFW to include Rye bread as has been mentioned here and in Odin's Rye recipe and I also add 1kg of Light Dry Malt (25L Mash)for a Barley addition. Light Dry Malt is used in Extract brewing as a Base malt alternative.
You may want to give it a try if you are a fan of bourbon. I find it better than most expensive bourbons.

Shine on guys an gals.

Thanks once again to Odin
Last edited by OldShiner on Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I do know that some people have successfully added creamed corn to UJSM ferments before distilling....don't know about Cornflake Whisky though.
OldShiner
Novice

Post by OldShiner »

metalmarc wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:59 am I'm currently experimenting with popcorn....corn.
That's the best i could find in the netherlands.
Because i'd love to make a corn whisky without the sugar.

Got a 10KG (22 pounds) bag of it online, tried malting it, about 80% germinated, dried it and did a little test mash yesterday.
Got 1 gallon of water and 1,5KG (3.3 pounds) of cracked malted corn. mashed it for 1,5 hours between 146-156F (64-69 C).
But only got a meagre SG of 1.030.

Will try it again when the enzymes get here to see if i can get it higher, if not i guess Odin's cornflakes whisky it is.
Enzymes will certainly make a big difference - use both Alpha and Beta during the mash or Glucoamylase add to the fermenter (won't raise your gravity but will break the glucose to fermentable sugars while fermenting.

Corn contains a heap of starch which needs to be converted to fermentables.

Shine on.
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

TDick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:42 am
Odin wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:22 pm pH crash is pretty dependent on how calcium rich your water is. pH at around 4 is good for the ferment. Higher hampers flavor development. Lower may stall your ferment. Well, pH 3.5 is still okay, but start out at pH 4.0 and then play around a bit to find your flavor profile. Depending on your water, you may need to use some bicarb. Adding it (or not) is not part of the recipe, because it may be different for different distillers/locations.

Odin.
It's been a LOOOONG time since I tried my last mash, so I'm considering myself a noob again.
Odin's Cornflakes seems like a great place to start and yes I read the whole damned thread.
I did note that Odin repeatedly stresses water ph. I still had a bottle of test strips & looks like my city water is around 6.
I was going to use bottled spring water but decided that for this first run, I can't start the mash for about a week so I plan on filling some buckets and let them air for that long to dechlorinate.
Wondering if there's anything else to consider while I let them air.
It's a wash
The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage..
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HomerD »

You can always use vitamin C to get rid of chlorine.1/4 teaspoon works for 30 gallons @ 4 ppm.

Homer
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

Odin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:46 am If you can distill very slowly on gas or with a water jacketed boiler, there is no need to take the liquid of the grain. Just distill all.

Odin.
Odin,

I have a water jacketed still, but my question is wont distilling everything give a bad taste due to all the yeast in the wash? What's your opinion?

Great and easy recipe,
Black Hearts
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

I distill on grain and have never detected yeast flavor. Commercial folks do the same.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

If you have off-flavors from the yeast, pitch less yeast.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

Odin,

Sticking to your 1gr per litre recipe. With 25% of that boiled as nutrient. Making a 200 litre batch soon.

Thanks again,

Black Hearts
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Sounds like a great plan!

Odin.
luchete80
Novice

Post by luchete80 »

Hey! I've found excellent results with this recipe. Actually i have 1 qt with american oak stick @55% from 3 months ago and i think 2 or 3 more months from now will be ready. I've been doing this infography togheter with anothers which posted in instagram, in some way to say thanks to this amazing site in which I am always around.
I also included a yeast bomb which in my case allows to start ferment almost 1 hour after i pitch.
I think also i've increased sugar content.. sorry hehe.

Hope you like this!
Ps: Thanks Odin and everyone here for all this info.

I'll keep posting.
cornflakes whisky_def_700.png
cnk
Novice

Post by cnk »

Hi Odin
I use Fleischmans bakers yeast for a sugar wash. Will it be ok for the cornflake whisky?
Chris
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

cnk, many use Fleischmans with good success.

Odin hasn't been online here since August. Hopefully busy in a good way!

I just started up a ferment of Kashi cereal using parts of this recipe & Rad's All-Bran. It's more expensive, but hoping to pull over some of the 7 grain flavors!

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Fruit Squeezer
Bootlegger

Post by Fruit Squeezer »

Got 2 gal sitting on oak sticks, and I have to say, even 2 weeks in the jar, this whiskey sets it's self apart.
Very smooth, and now I'm 2 months later, and it is getting even better. Trying to leave it on the shelf for a 1 or 2 year review, but it's irresistible to unscrew the lid, smell, and taste it every time I happen by the jars.

Guess I just have to make more!
Chunk Ryan 97
Novice

Post by Chunk Ryan 97 »

Might have already been asked but would lowans bakers yeast work with this recipe and also do you have to use anything to convert the starch in the cornflakes to sugar or did you just boil them ? Sorry if stupid questions I’m a newbie
silverbean
Novice
Location: Downunder If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

Post by silverbean »

Chunk Ryan 97 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:14 pm Might have already been asked but would lowans bakers yeast work with this recipe and also do you have to use anything to convert the starch in the cornflakes to sugar or did you just boil them ? Sorry if stupid questions I’m a newbie
Any Bakers yeast should work and the cornflakes are only for flavour, the recipe uses added sugar to ferment.
Rumblepants
Novice

Post by Rumblepants »

I'm planning the following recipe:

1KG kellogs cornflakes
2.5KG white sugar
1KG Malt Extract
1 tsp DAP
pinch epsom
citrus if needed to get ph to 4ish
50gm baker yeast

How does this sound?

Thanks
Rumble
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Rumblepants wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:36 am I'm planning the following recipe:

1KG kellogs cornflakes
2.5KG white sugar
1KG Malt Extract
1 tsp DAP
pinch epsom
citrus if needed to get ph to 4ish
50gm baker yeast

How does this sound?

Thanks
Rumble
Don’t try to get the pH to 4-ish. The sugar ferment will do enough to lower the pH. Instead, a pH around 5.0 to 5.5 is better to start and your salts will do just fine to get you there unless your water is too hard.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Rumblepants
Novice

Post by Rumblepants »

Don’t try to get the pH to 4-ish. The sugar ferment will do enough to lower the pH. Instead, a pH around 5.0 to 5.5 is better to start and your salts will do just fine to get you there unless your water is too hard.
ss
Thanks SS. 5 ish is what I usually do for the Teddys FFV that i've been doing so will stick with that.

Am putting two 30L fermenters with this on tomorrow. Gonna do a 1.5 pot run will post results.

RP
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Fruit Squeezer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:12 pm Trying to leave it on the shelf for a 1 or 2 year review, but it's irresistible to unscrew the lid, smell, and taste it every time I happen by the jars.

Guess I just have to make more!
I have this problem also...
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Rumblepants wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:28 am
Am putting two 30L fermenters with this on tomorrow. Gonna do a 1.5 pot run will post results.

RP
I'll be taste-testing cuts from my Kashi cereal 1.5 run tonight. It was inspired by this recipe & Rad's All-Bran.
DasBeast007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DasBeast007 »

Started the wash just under 2 weeks ago; for whatever reason this one took much longer than the expected 5 day window. But I wasn't in a rush when there's 4-5 fermenters all bubbling away with something. I was able to do a spirit run and make cuts. Everything out of the condenser on still night tasted good until I hit almost 20% ABV trying to collect some feints. Set the cuts inside to breathe a bit under cover of napkins and last night went through the joy of blending. Fortunately it was easy to decide which jars of heads weren't going back in.

I wish I had done more volume similar to what I did with the UJSSM. But the final product that was blended has an excellent flavor with just a hint of cooked cereal. And unlike my UJSSM, this recipe doesn't leave a "licorice" flavor on the tip of my tongue. Many thanks Odin!
2" CCVM on a 7.5gal keg boiler
3" CCVM on a 15.5 gal keg boiler
hardly used...Pot Still all-da-time
PedanticPete
Novice

Post by PedanticPete »

Hi,

My first departure from a sugar wash. Ferment was a joy, separating the sludge less so... rereading the original post I was wondering if somebody could help me with Odin’s description
I stripped it slowly ...
To date with WPOSW I strip as fast as my boiler goes and then do my spirit run at about 12ml/min, what flow rate would be considered a ‘slow’ stripping run? Thanks for any pointers for a newbie

Pete
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

You can convert cornflakes with enzyme or malt also..being flaked it does not have to be cooked for long periods before enzymes..
Bit expensive compared with feed corn though..
Distillusioned
Novice

Post by Distillusioned »

I had 4 boxes of cornflakes that were getting close to expiring, so I mashed 'em with some 2-row barley at about 50/50 by weight. Maybe it's because I knew they started out as breakfast cereal, but fresh off the still, it smelled like Kellogg's. After being on wood for a bit, it's already smelling like it'll be pretty decent. Certainly better than wasting them. :)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Distillusioned wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:19 pm… Certainly better than wasting them…
:clap: :thumbup: :D
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Finished putting my 1st OCW thru the still. My neighbour drinks whiskey so he tasted it neat and said it is quite tasty. I added some whiskey essence to a bottle and he says it is ok. I’m going to age some on oak.
Thanks Odin, 2nd batch fermenting now 👍
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

sounds like some good sugar shine