UK - Looking for Blackstrap Molasses?

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ErnieV
Swill Maker

UK - Looking for Blackstrap Molasses?

Post by ErnieV »

Hi People.

I have read this recipe from HookLine Hook Rum http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=12504

However, when I did my research for the ingredients, and particularly the blackstrap molasses it looked very expensive. (tight Yorkshireman)

The best I found on the net was this http://www.vit-shop.co.uk/store/p/11965 ... -740g.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

The amount I need for the recipe would set me back about £26.00 with the delivery. Does anyone have a wholesale supplier here in the UK for it?
YHB

Re: UK - Looking for Blackstrap Molasses?

Post by YHB »

I get mine from a supplier in North Yorkshire at £7.10 for 5 Litres, but they do not do delivery. Maybe if you are going to Newcastle to pick up a barrel you could call in and collect some.

Otherwise, if you need it delivered you could try http://www.millbryhill.co.uk/equestrian ... s-2803.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Toodlepip
ErnieV
Swill Maker

Post by ErnieV »

Thanks YHB, that's great. I will look at making some rum.

I did a search for "Tack" shops and there are quite a few near me, so I'm sure I'll find something without spending a fortune on "petrol" finding a bargain.

Most times you are better to shop online, and pay the extra for delivery, than put petrol in the car and drive round for hours. Having said that, I suppose if you do drive round a bit and find one supplier locally, you can buy your stuff when you're passing.
Devonhomebrew
Swill Maker

Post by Devonhomebrew »

http://www.londondogcompany.com/equimin ... 1521-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow Dont know if this would have sulfur in it or not can someone tell me?
travis
Novice

Post by travis »

I get mine from Holland & Barrats usually in the sale
watermelon
Novice

Post by watermelon »

i am using Tate and lyle black treacle, which apparently is 64% sugars. bit expensive at 88p per 500g (saisnburys)

no preservatives.

ive seen online you buy 7kg catering quantity for around £10. if it turns out well i might consider this.
myles
retired

Post by myles »

Take a careful look at the sugar contents. I use mostly raw cane sugar with a bit of treacle. You can buy the agricultural feed grade treacle (lower sugar content) in 1000 litre IBC's. It all depends on how much you intend to make and how much you can store.

I used to buy my treacle in 5 litre plastic bottles from cash and carry type retailers, but it is sometimes cheaper just to buy it in the usual size tins at the supermarket, especially when it is on offer.
ErnieV
Swill Maker

Post by ErnieV »

My local "tac" shop carries it. When I told her why I wanted it, she said to make sure I brought a bottle of rum in next time I come in. Only if it gets me a cracking discount I said :-)
Theo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Theo »

What is a 'tac' shop I need an English - English translator! :crazy:
Still happy, Still learning, Still reading
Theo

New distiller reading lounge. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46
Stainless
Swill Maker

Post by Stainless »

Hi, I believe he's referring to a place that sells horse feed and other 'tackle' ie saddles bridles etc.
cheers
Stainless
Luceo Non Uro
ErnieV
Swill Maker

Post by ErnieV »

Correct, horse shop, sorted :-)
Devonhomebrew
Swill Maker

Post by Devonhomebrew »

you can get 5L bottles of molasses im gonna get me some and make a nice rum
n1cod3mus
Bootlegger

Post by n1cod3mus »

travis wrote:I get mine from Holland & Barrats usually in the sale
same here, £1.99 for 740g
Elizabeth : "so your just going to sit on the beach drinking rum?"
Jack: "welcome to the caribbean love"
ErnieV
Swill Maker

Post by ErnieV »

5 kg for 8.99 from the tac shop
n1cod3mus
Bootlegger

Post by n1cod3mus »

ErnieV wrote:5 kg for 8.99 from the tac shop
i'm in london, no tac shops near here I dont think, I'll have to google it but i doubt I will find one
elektrosport
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elektrosport »

I bought this (I know it's not the UK but still EC). I'm going to run it tomorrow.

http://probiosa.shop-016.de/probiosa-p3 ... se_10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Cheers,
Elektrosport
watermelon
Novice

Post by watermelon »

anyone tried this? say 100% molasses. it costs about £25-30 online for 25kg.

http://www.naf-equine.eu/uk/products/pr ... d=molasses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

any idea what the sugar content is?
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I contacted the manufacturers for you.

From the web
ANALYSIS:
Protein 7.2%, Ash 11.50%, Fibre 0.08%, Oil 0.06%, Moisture 31.6%, Calcium 0.58-1.1%, Phosphorus P 0.05-0.11%, Potassium 2.7-4%, Sulphur 0.46%, Zinc 0-15 mg/kg.

From NAF as the sugar was not published:
Thank you for your email, Molasses as you mentioned below can vary considerably dependent on the source. Our Molasses we can assure you is from finest Sugar Cane and we recommend is used by adding to feed to enhance palatability as well as adding a natural dust suppressant into the equines feed.

Total sugars (as sucrose) in our NAF Molasses is stated at 72%.

Not bad really, I have been using a fancy grade catering treacle that is 64%.
elektrosport
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elektrosport »

Thanks Watermelon (and Myles). I know that I'm going to keep this on record for next time I order (if I order - read below). Molasses is pretty much impossible to get here in DK (except for beet molasses)..

BTW I ran my first (cane) molasses based rum today, damn that's nasty stuff. It doesn't taste like rum at all - it tastes like molasses. However I read a post somewhere here about a guy with a similar experience. After a year it was good, so I guess I'll have to archive it while drinking my rye whiskey.

Cheers,
Elektrosport
watermelon
Novice

Post by watermelon »

myles- thanks for the info! i wouldn't have thought of contacting the manufactures directly.

im going to buy some the naf stuff and give it a go. in my previous 50l washes ive only used 6kg(sugar content) of molasses. with 25 (18kg of sugar) litres i have alot more options.i think i will try a very thick mixture just to see how it turns out.
elektrosport
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elektrosport »

I have to go back on my previous statement. I think the sharp molasses taste was due to my still puking.

I did a spirit run last week and the product came out delicious directly off the still. All hail feed grade molasses! :)

Cheers,
ES
ErnieV
Swill Maker

Post by ErnieV »

Mine was the "naf" brand.
n1cod3mus
Bootlegger

Post by n1cod3mus »

I bought some gold label from ebay.co.uk
Burtonian
Novice

Post by Burtonian »

I'm afraid I'm a bit late on the scene here, but I've also been trying to find a good cheap UK source of molasses. After having had a good look round, I've just ordered 5l of 'Gold Label' feed molasses from 'Sharptack' at £6.00 + £2.95 p+p, which seems pretty reasonable to me.
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

I bought some molasses a while back. It had no label, camer from a feed/tack type shop. It was horrible, pretty sure it was beet molasses. The one to go for is NAF, as people have had good results with this. Failing that, black treacle from tate and lyle can be found at your local supermarket, not super cheap.

Or, blackstrap molasses for human consumption can be had from H B ingredients, 25kg, but it is quite dear at around £2/kg, more when you include postage.
However, you are guaranteed that it is blackstrap from cane, and contains no surprises.
Burtonian
Novice

Post by Burtonian »

For info, the 'Gold Label' molasses I ordered from 'Sharptack' on Sunday 2 March arrived on the following Wednesday, which was good I thought, and due to some glitch or other I didn't get charged for p+p, which I thought was even better! So, at £6 plus the price of a couple of kg of sugar it made a pretty cheap 23l rum wash. As received, the molasses smelled and tasted good, rather better in fact than the more expensive 'Lincoln' brand I've used before. It fermented okay in about a week and, from measured initial and final gravities, I seem to have ended up with about 7% ABV - the sugar content of the molasses wasn't given on the label, but I suppose it must have been fairly low on the basis of that number. The completed wash smells and tastes fine and I will be running it through my pot-still over the next week or so.

On the subject of cost, I calculated that, had I been charged for p+p, the 'Gold Label' molasses would have come out at around £1.21 per kg, which compares very favourably with the current £3.91 per kg at Holland And Barrett (goes down to £2.93 per kg when there's a sale on). I've been doing a bit more looking around though and come up with another alternative that people may care to consider, ie bakery suppliers 'Bako South Eastern Limited'. They do 25kg of blackstrap molasses for £17.94 plus £9.99 p+p, equivalent to £1.12 per kg, which is the lowest price I've managed to come up with. Their depot is in Wimbledon, so if you're in the area you can even save a tenner by picking it up yourself, which is nice!
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

Burtonian wrote: I've been doing a bit more looking around though and come up with another alternative that people may care to consider, ie bakery suppliers 'Bako South Eastern Limited'. They do 25kg of blackstrap molasses for £17.94 plus £9.99 p+p, equivalent to £1.12 per kg, which is the lowest price I've managed to come up with. Their depot is in Wimbledon, so if you're in the area you can even save a tenner by picking it up yourself, which is nice!
Nice find. That molasses comes out cheaper than feed molasses. Free delivery on orders over £50!
greenthumb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greenthumb »

Dan P. wrote:
Burtonian wrote: I've been doing a bit more looking around though and come up with another alternative that people may care to consider, ie bakery suppliers 'Bako South Eastern Limited'. They do 25kg of blackstrap molasses for £17.94 plus £9.99 p+p, equivalent to £1.12 per kg, which is the lowest price I've managed to come up with. Their depot is in Wimbledon, so if you're in the area you can even save a tenner by picking it up yourself, which is nice!
Nice find. That molasses comes out cheaper than feed molasses. Free delivery on orders over £50!

Dam, I thought I had it cheap buying the naf stuff, this human grade stuff is half the price WELL DONE BURTONIAN :clap:

find of the century! Like DAN P says free delivery over 50 quid, so buy three of these for £53.82 inc delivery thats .72p a ltr!
thepatchworkdoll
Swill Maker

Post by thepatchworkdoll »

Rayner's Essentials Cane Molasses 3.18kg from Amazon free postage £9.99 you can get it a little cheaper if you register with them
Regards
Patch
greenthumb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greenthumb »

thepatchworkdoll wrote:Rayner's Essentials Cane Molasses 3.18kg from Amazon free postage £9.99 you can get it a little cheaper if you register with them
Regards
Patch
That's £3 a ltr , not much more to buy 25kg