Panela/Piloncillo RUM

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: Panela/Piloncillo RUM

Post by Bushman »

I have nothing but good luck with the products I have produced from Sugardaddy’s Panela I do however think it produces a light rum thus I mix it with molasses.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

+1 Bushman. sugardaddy’s stuff is good and a little molasses is a nice addition to an otherwise all panela ferment for a little traditional rum smell/taste.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
WillC
Novice

Post by WillC »

I finally broke down and bought a used 55 Gal blue barrel. Popped the lid...smells like Tide washing powder.
I cant get the smell out. Tried every way possible. So......new 55 gallon blue barrel with lid has arrived.
So no more fermenting in a 15 gallon one.

So two questions before what will be my biggest ferment ever.

At 1.5 pounds per gallon, and i have a 50 pound bag, how much water will that come out to be?
If i was to add molasses how much per that amount of water and if i did add molasses will that change the amount of Panela i add?

Thanks!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

WillC wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:49 am I finally broke down and bought a used 55 Gal blue barrel. Popped the lid...smells like Tide washing powder.
I cant get the smell out. Tried every way possible. So......new 55 gallon blue barrel with lid has arrived.
So no more fermenting in a 15 gallon one.

So two questions before what will be my biggest ferment ever.

At 1.5 pounds per gallon, and i have a 50 pound bag, how much water will that come out to be?
If i was to add molasses how much per that amount of water and if i did add molasses will that change the amount of Panela i add?

Thanks!
50 pounds/ 1.5 pounds/gallon = 33.33333 gallons.

I add 1 gallon of molasses to my batches using 55 pounds of panela. Other may have different preferences on this. I don’t bother with any math here. I just add the Gallon along with the panela and hot water to dissolve everything, then top it all off with cold water to my final volume and pitch temp. I typically make a 36-37 gallon ferment with 55 lb panela and 1 gal of molasses, so that I have enough for three 12 gallon strips. I usually leave a gallon in the fermenter, that thin layer of dead yeast at the bottom. Rum is easy in this regard and you should not need to sweat the detailed math.

Crank up the reggae, pitch your yeast, and enjoy the ride mon.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

OtisT wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:28 am
I add 1 gallon of molasses to my batches using 55 pounds of panela.
Otis
+1. Very close to what I do on a smaller scale. I use 1 quart molasses & 12 pounds panela for 8G total wash.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

Old post I know... anyone have the sugar daddy contact info they could share?

BTW... don't Google sugar daddy :lol:
There are two types of people in this world.
1. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

Thanks!
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

Anyone know if sugardaddy is still doing business? I've written and gotten no response...
opus345
Novice

Post by opus345 »

Would be very interested if Sugardaddy is still in business.

Here was my first (and latest) Rum wash:

~4.75 gallons of water
8 lbs panela
1 lbs light brown sugar
32 oz Unsulfarated Bakers Molasses
4 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 tps Yeast Energizer
5 tps DADY Yeast

1) Bring 2.5 gal of filtered water to 180 F.
2) Remove from heat and add the 8 lbs of panela and 32oz Unsulfarated Bakers Molasses. Stir vigorously till all is dissolved.
3) Add 4.75 gal water to fermentation bucket
4) Add dissolved panela and molasses mixture to bucket
5) Let it ferment in open bucket to 0.993 and then racked to a BetterBottle under airlock.
6) Wait 2-3 weeks and then did a spirit run in my pot still.
7) Got 4 qts after proofing to 45%.
8) Drinking 1 qt silver and have 3 qts with wood.
9) This is an amazing drop after proofing. The significant other paid the ultimate comment after a tasting tonight by saying, "Ya know, we are not sharing this with our whiskey friends, right?"
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

He is in business.
However, he is at the moment out of panela.
His commercial customer commitments gobble up his inventory as soon as it arrives.
Also, he has been a bit preoccupied trying to move his personal residence.
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

LWTCS wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:13 am He is in business.
However, he is at the moment out of panela.
His commercial customer commitments gobble up his inventory as soon as it arrives.
Also, he has been a bit preoccupied trying to move his personal residence.
Thanks, I'll be patient
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I have a question regarding the panocha Sugar daddy is using. From the pictures I saw it was the obscuro a more industrial blend compared to blanco. After reading some distillers say it produced too strong of a flavor and then others adding molasses for a flavor boost, a little confusing. I am planning to go up into the hills to cane country soon to buy some. From the info I gathered here I thought it best to buy the lighter blanco and some buckets of mollasses. Now I wonder if I can get what I am looking for from this or would it be better(cheaper) to buy the dark and light panocha and experiment with that,leaving the molasses for later trails. I don't have a small boiler to run experiments on so the first runs could be a costly mistake. I like a strong, well rounded flavor, but I don't want molasses flavor upfront. I plan on going with cane juice once I feel more confident in my fermenting. So I guess I looking for those who have run separate batches using a blanco and then a obscuro without molasses and their thoughts on the different flavor profiles.
I'll work out my recipes down the road but I'm just trying to start out with my right foot forward.
Tōtō
Si vis pacem, para bellum
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I'm not familiar with "the lighter blanco" as such if it is panela?

Typically, artisanal panela production methods probably vary because all of the work (especially in the high country) is done manually and by the experience of the person cooking.
Everything is cooked according to color (dwell time in the heat) and also the viscosity of the material. Basically it is a judgment call by the cook.

I have seen cold joints in some of the panela cakes that have two completely different colors. One side of the cold joint with a lighter colored sugar. This tells me that the material that was installed into the sugar cake mold to top off the mold was cooked down at a different rate. In other words the material in the cake was cooked from two separate batches and the cook times were probably different? One side lighter and the other side darker.

The other thing is that there is a rumor that one of the larger (corporate) manufacturers will do some sucrose extraction prior to pour the remaining material into the molds. Not sure how that may or may not affect color? The other rumor is that in order to ensure uniform color consistency, some big well known brands add an artificial coloring agent.

Here is a video that does explain a typical process in the mountains:
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

A little more info on panocha.
Piloncillo also Known as: panela and panocha
Varieties: blanco (light) and oscuro (dark)
Similar to brown sugar, there are two types of piloncillo available: blanco (light) and oscuro (dark). The blanco piloncillo will have a more subtle flavor while the oscura is richer and most like molasses.
And though both are offered in light and dark varieties, what creates the two shades of brown in each sugar is very different. Blanco piloncillo is made from green sugarcane, while oscuro is made from purple sugarcane.

Can't get rid of the double shots
images (1).jpeg
images (1).jpeg
Attachments
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (11.15 KiB) Viewed 741 times
image.png
image.png (15.57 KiB) Viewed 741 times
Si vis pacem, para bellum
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

My choice would be to use the oscuro variety. Looks like it would make a nice rum for you. Actually, I don’t think you can go wrong by using either of the two. The both look good to me. If you can get fresh pressed cane juice then I would go that route as well.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Tōtōchtin wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:11 am A little more info on panocha.
Piloncillo also Known as: panela and panocha
Varieties: blanco (light) and oscuro (dark)
Similar to brown sugar, there are two types of piloncillo available: blanco (light) and oscuro (dark). The blanco piloncillo will have a more subtle flavor while the oscura is richer and most like molasses.
And though both are offered in light and dark varieties, what creates the two shades of brown in each sugar is very different. Blanco piloncillo is made from green sugarcane, while oscuro is made from purple sugarcane.

Can't get rid of the double shots

images (1).jpeg
images (1).jpeg

Ah, so it's the cane variety.
Thanks for that.
IGK
Novice

Post by IGK »

Well honestly didn’t care for rum but I gave this recipe a go anyway and all I can say is wow! Thank you for the info, I’ll be making more.