ABV Does NOT need to be High!!!

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sataroth
Novice

Re: ABV Does NOT need to be High!!!

Post by Sataroth »

Sure, I got that. Never was able to exceed 12 plato without boiling (when making beer) by the way, so this amount is natural IMO.
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

But what about fruit must ?
Sataroth
Novice

Post by Sataroth »

Never fermented fruits yet if you're asking me, mate 😊
Tal
Swill Maker

Post by Tal »

Havnt been around for a few sleeps...wanting an opinion or two if i may?...I have just put down a 2 row Barley wash after cooking the barley for Half an hour @ 131F then soaking for 90 mins @ 154.4 . I then sinned and added some sugar to bring my SG to 1.060..its my target for every wash i do. After around 63 hrs the head has sunk..the wash is sour..no apparent 'stickyness' and my SG has dropped to 1.000. That should be around 7.8 ABV....seems to me it happened real fast as i usually have fermentation action for maybe a week on multi grain ferments...I'm hopping to barrel this run and any following sour mash run to make the 5 gallons i need to age.I'm happy with the 7.8 ABV, its the fast ferment that has got me wondering....I used still spirits whiskey yeast....
"Don't be afraid to go out on a limb...that's where the fruit is!"
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Look for other signs of fermentation. Is there any movement in the fermenter?
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Tal wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:04 pm Havnt been around for a few sleeps...wanting an opinion or two if i may?...I have just put down a 2 row Barley wash after cooking the barley for Half an hour @ 131F then soaking for 90 mins @ 154.4 . I then sinned and added some sugar to bring my SG to 1.060..its my target for every wash i do. After around 63 hrs the head has sunk..the wash is sour..no apparent 'stickyness' and my SG has dropped to 1.000. That should be around 7.8 ABV....seems to me it happened real fast as i usually have fermentation action for maybe a week on multi grain ferments...I'm hopping to barrel this run and any following sour mash run to make the 5 gallons i need to age.I'm happy with the 7.8 ABV, its the fast ferment that has got me wondering....I used still spirits whiskey yeast....
Sounds like you just got a perfect storm friend Tal. Honestly, you probably have way more experience doing this shit than most members. All the boxes are checked, I’d say you’re good to go.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Tal
Swill Maker

Post by Tal »

Thankyou brutha...keep the shiny side up...
"Don't be afraid to go out on a limb...that's where the fruit is!"
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

To take this subject a bit further...

Has anyone tried pressure fermenting their AG-wash?
There seems to produce a lot less fusels and esters even under high temps.
http://scottjanish.com/fermenting-dry-hopping-pressure/

This might mitigate full on fusel production if mash gets to high in SG and you don't have the means to keep the ferment temp regulated.

The downside I can think of is that we cut on the production of "good" esters as well. This setup might be better for completely neutral spirits, than AG.
I might try a couple of runs!
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

interesting read, thanks
StriaghtJakket
Novice

Post by StriaghtJakket »

Hey LordL, how did you go with the Pressure Ferment??
I came to see as I have been starting a couple of Beer Brews and learning about pressure fermenting. Agree you would never do it for a rum ect, but if you were looking for a clean Whiskey or Neutral? wonder if any distillers have done any qualified experiments.
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

StriaghtJakket wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:04 am Hey LordL, how did you go with the Pressure Ferment??
I came to see as I have been starting a couple of Beer Brews and learning about pressure fermenting. Agree you would never do it for a rum ect, but if you were looking for a clean Whiskey or Neutral? wonder if any distillers have done any qualified experiments.
I paused the purchase of pressure fermenting equipment and focused on induction cooker and adapter plates instead... It keeps steady power between 2000w and 1000w. Pulsates in the lower regions..

Still interested in pressure ferments but no rush, I'm into trying to make at least 6 generations of rum...
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill