What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Metalking00 »

Just finished doing cuts on a corn, vienna malt, wheat malt and unmalted rye bourbon. Im very pleased with how it came out. I think this may be the best thing Ive made so far. Now to wait...
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

More red wine brandy
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

2AE1E70F-84E3-4672-9733-67A72CFCBDDD.jpeg
10CF30D6-8251-41E4-8946-FA82E83D1FC7.jpeg
One bushel of mixed apples from an orchard in Waynesville, NC. I couldn’t pass up the price ($20/bushel) and I’m looking forward to making some taste brandy.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Metalking00 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:58 am Just finished doing cuts on a corn, vienna malt, wheat malt and unmalted rye bourbon. Im very pleased with how it came out. I think this may be the best thing Ive made so far. Now to wait...
Hmmmmm. Very interesting 👌
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Grapefruit gin.

The last batch for the season and was made with two times the botanicals to make an essence that can be made up later when I have more neutral.

I've also been freezing grapefruit juice in ice cubes for making G&Ts.
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

Bradster68 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:51 am
Metalking00 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:58 am Just finished doing cuts on a corn, vienna malt, wheat malt and unmalted rye bourbon. Im very pleased with how it came out. I think this may be the best thing Ive made so far. Now to wait...
Hmmmmm. Very interesting 👌
The grain bill was 56% corn, 12% vienna, 12% malted wheat and 20% unmalted rye.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I made a bottle of blended whiskey. 75% corn whiskey aged on toasted cherry in glass, and 25% single malt from my barrel.
Blended, then cut to 42%ABV. Its good right after blending and tempering, so it should be really good after it has time to settle down in the bottle and get happy.
This has to be the hottest (and driest) October on record for the greater Seattle area. My garage is still too warm to ferment in my preferred temperature range and I'm getting antsy about cooking up more mashes. I'm about ready to just say f*ck it and get started using baker's yeast.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Finally broke down and made apple pie with some of a HBB sugar head. Don’t know why I held out so long. Makes a mean apple pie old fashioned!
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Dougmatt wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:24 pm Finally broke down and made apple pie with some of a HBB sugar head. Don’t know why I held out so long. Makes a mean apple pie old fashioned!
Hmmm, Apple Pie and bitters?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:55 pm
Dougmatt wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:24 pm Finally broke down and made apple pie with some of a HBB sugar head. Don’t know why I held out so long. Makes a mean apple pie old fashioned!
Hmmm, Apple Pie and bitters?
Just posted the recipe. A little more than that. Bourbon backbone, then Used the apple pie in place of simple syrup basically. Found it even better when I added some cinnamon whiskey and tried a bunch of different bitters and liked chocolate and black walnut best. Full recipe in the recipe section.

Edit: link to recipe viewtopic.php?t=88339
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Just_Doug
Novice

Post by Just_Doug »

I managed to find time to do a spirt run on some death wish wheat germ. Got 7.5 liters before cuts with the last jar off the still at about 70% abv temp corrected. I shut off the rig as the output was defiantly into tails and I going to be moving to rum next.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Running my whiskey bourbon concoction.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Just finished my gumballhead from my whiskey bourbon as per jimbos recipe. Used backset and 6kg sugar to get a gravity of 1.074.
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

Working on a new idea for a grain separator. If it works I’ll start a post.
If in doubt leave it out.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My version of Malibu Black, using what I call 'rum grappa', a sugar wash rum made using lees, heads, tails, foreshots, backset, dunder and lime salts from an all molasses rum, fast aged on on oak for a few days about three years ago and left on the wood, then blended into a 35% ABV, 15g/100ml sugar liqueur today.

The few people that have tasted it say it's yummy.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Finally started stilling again in earnest. Stripped the clear from two gumbalheads two days ago, and yesterday filled a bucket with the squeezings which is settling out in the shed. 3 strips to go and I'll be on top of things again! :-)
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

NZChris wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:04 pm My version of Malibu Black, using what I call 'rum grappa', a sugar wash rum made using lees, heads, tails, foreshots, backset, dunder and lime salts from an all molasses rum, fast aged on on oak for a few days about three years ago and left on the wood, then blended into a 35% ABV, 15g/100ml sugar liqueur today.

The few people that have tasted it say it's yummy.
Very nice. I guess this is what makes some of u guys "MASTER DISTILLERS" 🍻
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Nah, that's just the ones of us that don't know when to quit yapping.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:56 am Nah, that's just the ones of us that don't know when to quit yapping.
:lol:
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Squeezing out a sugar head, getting ready to start a stripping run.
E680A423-0D7E-4239-9DF0-66A9BCC0B7CA.jpeg
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Steve Broady wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:58 am Squeezing out a sugar head, getting ready to start a stripping run.
Do you do multiple bags arranged around the screw, or do you have some other clever technique?

Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

NormandieStill wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:43 am Do you do multiple bags arranged around the screw, or do you have some other clever technique?
I don’t know about clever, but it’s simple. I have a scrap of fiberglass window screen which I’ve folded double twice, making four layers in total. I simply coil this up and slide this down into the press to line the outside. I don’t protect the screw at all (aside from having waxed it when I bought it, and an occasional treatment with wax or coconut oil). It takes a couple minutes after emptying to clean the screw, which is not an issue for me at all. I did that while the still was heating up.

The spent grain comes out in a nice puck, dry enough to hold itself together. I broke it up a little just to see how damp the center is. Slightly, but not enough to make me feel like I lost any appreciable product.
89315B09-3D12-4D21-9B46-AF01E6E4F3C4.jpeg
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Steve Broady wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:51 am I don’t know about clever, but it’s simple. I have a scrap of fiberglass window screen which I’ve folded double twice, making four layers in total. I simply coil this up and slide this down into the press to line the outside. I don’t protect the screw at all (aside from having waxed it when I bought it, and an occasional treatment with wax or coconut oil). It takes a couple minutes after emptying to clean the screw, which is not an issue for me at all. I did that while the still was heating up.

The spent grain comes out in a nice puck, dry enough to hold itself together. I broke it up a little just to see how damp the center is. Slightly, but not enough to make me feel like I lost any appreciable product.
89315B09-3D12-4D21-9B46-AF01E6E4F3C4.jpeg
Nice. I've got an apple press which is excessively large for this purpose (I think I can fit upward of 125kg of apples in one pressing), but I may try and make a mini press for grain squeezing at some point.

Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I tried the 5 gallon 600 micron filter from US Plastics, a brew in the bag bag, and even a pillow case. This little ~3 gallon press is by far the easiest, fastest, and neatest way I’ve found to wring all the goodness out of a 5 gallon AG ferment. It was cheap on Amazon, but with a little care it was money well spent.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Steve Broady wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:09 am I tried the 5 gallon 600 micron filter from US Plastics, a brew in the bag bag, and even a pillow case. This little ~3 gallon press is by far the easiest, fastest, and neatest way I’ve found to wring all the goodness out of a 5 gallon AG ferment. It was cheap on Amazon, but with a little care it was money well spent.
Got a link?
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I did a stripping run on a bourbon sugarhead. 61.6% corn, 25.6% 2-row barley, 12.8% rye. When it was coming off the spout at 60% ABV, I took a 1oz sample and proofed it down to 40% for a taste. I know it’s just a stripping run and just a sugarhead, but I’m really impressed with the flavor. I can’t wait to see how the AG bourbon turns out once I do the spirit run. I’ll do the sugarhead separately just to compare.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

NormandieStill said 'I've got an apple press which is excessively large for this purpose (I think I can fit upward of 125kg of apples in one pressing), but I may try and make a mini press for grain squeezing at some point.

I wonder if you could just sit a smaller 'cage' inside the big one??

Geoff
The Baker
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

The Baker wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:43 pm I wonder if you could just sit a smaller 'cage' inside the big one??
Good plan that man.

Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:56 am Nah, that's just the ones of us that don't know when to quit yapping.
Lmao