What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Big River
Novice

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Big River »

Ran my first cm reflux off a 4 grain sugarhead. Was worried about the lava packing in my 45 inch packed column but at temp ran like a clock. Hit azeo no problem, lava works great. 2 in column had no issues - had reflux dialed in, one flood. Then just adjusted propane to keep drip rate constant. Info from this forum priceless.
Thx
Big River
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

After all the fruit I've been messing with lately, I've actually missed dealing with grains. I still have a couple of spirit runs to do before starting another grain ferment, so I toasted some corn today in preparation. It'll be my first time using toasted corn and I haven't decided whether it'll be all corn or mostly corn and rye and/or specialty malt.
Glad I'm not forced to make the same thing over and over to fill orders.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Laid down 15g of blue/black agave wash with terpenes added. Didn't have any oyster shell or marble so I left the PH high out of the faucet. We'll see how they do, they seem to be bubbling along well enough, I imagine it'll pick up as the temp comes down a little more into the lower part of the sweet spot and the PH starts to come down.

Then I'm going to run 10 gallons through my bigger pot with a gallon of 120p that I tried to make cuts on the fly (ended up a little tailsy) and after that's done, I'll do a 1.5 run with the other 5 gallons of fresh wash and make my new (better) cuts.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Big River wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:34 am Ran my first cm reflux off a 4 grain sugarhead. Was worried about the lava packing in my 45 inch packed column but at temp ran like a clock. Hit azeo no problem, lava works great. 2 in column had no issues - had reflux dialed in, one flood. Then just adjusted propane to keep drip rate constant. Info from this forum priceless.
Thx
Big River
How tall is your packed section?
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Serilized everything thoroughly. Took 10 gallons of fresh sqeezed apple juice. Tempered some EC-1118 and within a half hour it's bubbling nicely.
SG 1.05 for what it's worth.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

First try at a SBB molasses wash.
-- Rrmuf
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Rrmuf wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:39 am First try at a SBB molasses wash.
Great stuff. Let it age on oak :thumbup:
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Sanitized and wrapped up my large fermenter. Going to be starting a sugar wash on Thursday for some neutral. Gonna have to pot still it a few times though as I don't have my reflux rig yet.
20221017_131523.jpg
My agave wash is happily bubbling away. Had some Sulphur smell developing so I threw a little sanitized copper mesh in the buckets a few hours ago and it's already starting to smell better.
Big River
Novice

Post by Big River »

bcook608 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:25 pm
Big River wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:34 am Ran my first cm reflux off a 4 grain sugarhead. Was worried about the lava packing in my 45 inch packed column but at temp ran like a clock. Hit azeo no problem, lava works great. 2 in column had no issues - had reflux dialed in, one flood. Then just adjusted propane to keep drip rate constant. Info from this forum priceless.
Thx
Big River
21 and 24 inch sections - 45 inches - does not include sight glass and reflux condenser. All this on top of a 15 gal keg. Ran like a champ.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Big River wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:22 pm
bcook608 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:25 pm
Thx
Big River
21 and 24 inch sections - 45 inches - does not include sight glass and reflux condenser. All this on top of a 15 gal keg. Ran like a champ.
Awesome! Thanks!
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Yesterday a 25 Jimbob AG mash, today a 25g Odin Cornflake mash. Buccaneer Bob's Gen 2 should be done fermenting this week too.

Shaping up to be a nice October.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

Cuts on an all oat whiskey I made. Got 3+ gallons of keeper at 120p. The abv is low because I mixed all the jars together and there were almost no tails until the very end. Even the tails weren't too bad. Went 5 gens using Angel yeast. Incredible, like drinking an oatmeal cookie! Next time I won't use backset, just boil up water to pour on the grains to sterilize them. I want to see what that'll be like!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Spirit run on some brandy. My stock is growing and getting better on that heavy char oak.
Attachments
20221018_164539.jpg
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

I got 16 gallons of fresh cider during today's delivery to a friend's cidery. He gets a 5500 gallon tanker about once every 3 weeks, fresh pressed that morning. $4.25 per gallon.

Aerated, pitched EC1118. OG 1.045.

My first batch was pressed 3 weeks ago from my trees. I got 14 gallons, pitched EC1118, OG 1.048, FG 1.003. Ambient temp about 65-70F.
Higgins
Flute build
Steamer build
4 methods experiment
Next up: AG Wheat vodka
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

higgins wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:51 pm I got 16 gallons of fresh cider during today's delivery to a friend's cidery. He gets a 5500 gallon tanker about once every 3 weeks, fresh pressed that morning. $4.25 per gallon.

Aerated, pitched EC1118. OG 1.045.

My first batch was pressed 3 weeks ago from my trees. I got 14 gallons, pitched EC1118, OG 1.048, FG 1.003. Ambient temp about 65-70F.
Wow, I'm very jealous of that hookup.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Apple juice. Pressed the second batch and got 60L at 1.055. Then pressed a mini-batch (about 50kg) which had been started 2 days earlier and was starting to ferment. This gave another 30L. I've started pasteurising some of the final batch to keep as apple juice but it's already fermenting with the unseasonably warm spell we're having. The slightly fizzy very low alcohol juice is one of the nicest things I've ever tasted.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

NormandieStill wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:41 pm The slightly fizzy very low alcohol juice is one of the nicest things I've ever tasted.
I made the mistake of pouring ourselves a jug of two day old fermenting Riesling grape juice to have with dinner. When it was empty, Her Indoors sent me out to refill it. Over the next few days we drank a couple of gallons of it. The finished wine was very nice, but we had no regrets for enjoying so much of it while it was young.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

I made my first 60 litre batch. Tired of the 5 gallon pails. Decided to do a sugar wash as my first big batch. Took off like a rocket. TFFVodka. Love this stuff. Thanks again Ted.🍻
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

NZChris wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:17 am I made the mistake of pouring ourselves a jug of two day old fermenting Riesling grape juice to have with dinner. When it was empty, Her Indoors sent me out to refill it. Over the next few days we drank a couple of gallons of it. The finished wine was very nice, but we had no regrets for enjoying so much of it while it was young.
Did that with a blood peach wine. But didn't want to spoil my wine making efforts so we only had a glassful. The resulting wine came good about 18 months later but the sparkling naturally sweet peach cider was out of this world.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

NZChris wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:17 am I made the mistake of pouring ourselves a jug of two day old fermenting Riesling grape juice to have with dinner.
NormandieStill wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:40 pm but the sparkling naturally sweet peach cider was out of this world.
Seems that sort of thing is very moreish, did similar with some red grape juice that was still fermenting once...............couldn't get it into me fast enough.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

.... contemplating life, happiness and whether my SBB molasses are done fermenting. ;-)
-- Rrmuf
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

An order for a bag of rye. I'm going to use 20% rye, 80% rolled oats for the next run of whiskey. No backset, I want to taste nothing but the grains!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Rrmuf wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:38 am .... contemplating life, happiness and whether my SBB molasses are done fermenting. ;-)
Sounds like a good life. 🍻
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

40 gallons of SSS started 51 minutes ago and it's kicking off quite well!

20221021_105152.jpg
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Running my first ever gumballhead.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Half way through an oatmeal, rye flour and cornmeal stripping runs - well, actually, 75% of the way.
rain days ahead so the last 1/4 will have to wait until friday.

Starting another MOR mash tomorrow.
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Spirit Run of 4.5 gallons of tequila low wines.
Altered the recipe I followed and there's a TON more aromatic flavor than last time. Low wines taste a little bitey but I don't judge until the spirit run is under way.

If it turns out, I'll post my recipe for you guys to try :)
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

bcook608 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:52 am Spirit Run of 4.5 gallons of tequila low wines.
Altered the recipe I followed and there's a TON more aromatic flavor than last time. Low wines taste a little bitey but I don't judge until the spirit run is under way.

I would so appreciate any info u got on tequila making. 🍻
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Bradster68 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:29 pm
bcook608 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:52 am Spirit Run of 4.5 gallons of tequila low wines.

I would so appreciate any info u got on tequila making. 🍻
I don't have a whole lot of info for traditional tequila. I'm using agave nectar and terpenes. But in my opinion, I think it comes out close enough. Especially if you're going to oak age it into a Reposado or Anejo
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

A small AG bourbon spirit run, tidying up leftover grains. Ok white, but I've put it away on toasted, charred, oak staves for a few years.

When putting the feints away, I discovered a hoard of enough feints for a spirit run with the Bokakob, so I've combined them and am adding slaked lime to precipitate any acids out of the collection. I'll add lime over a few days until I get to about pH 7.5, then decant it and run it. The previous time I tried this trick produced a very good yield of useful neutral.