What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Setsumi
Distiller

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Setsumi »

MooseMan wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:45 am Long overdue but I now have a pair of much needed SS/copper funnels.
Not pretty but functional, hard wearing and easy to knock up.

Big one with a 32mm stem for the keg and a small one with a 22mm stem for glass demijohns.
The big one I can upend a full gallon jug in and leave it there to drain.

IMG_20230409_153326_203~2.jpg

The 22mm I was able to roll over into a nice flange for soldering but the 32mm is thick wall so I cut and fanned it for some surface area.

IMG_20230409_153454_776~2.jpg
Well done. It is on my agenda as wel but I have a 12lt urn that I removed the tap. I just cannot get the element out, soon.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
JAMAWG
Novice

Post by JAMAWG »

Trying a new recipe idea. Got the ferment going already. Peated malt, amber malt, and oats. Hopefully i will get a rich and smokey whisky with a nice mouth feel from the oats.
Mossback moonshiner in Cascadia.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Dancing4dan wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:52 pm Rum ferment going this morning.

About 12 gallons of water.
10 kg Crosby's fancy molasses.
908 grams Panela.

Mix of bakers and DADY. Bakers seemed a little slow in the starter.
Batch #2 using trub / yeast from last batch. Strong ferment. Will have enough for two stripping runs and a spirit run.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I have been messing around with Amburana chips. I loaded just .1 oz. (1/10th. oz.) into a pint of double pot stilled and oaked UJSSM. Boy after just a week it was real bold. I thought I over did it but after straining out the chips and letting it set a week it really is delicious. It smells and tastes like Grandma's house at Thanksgiving. Lots of baking spices. I loaded the same amount in a quart of Oak finished UJSSM and I will see what happens after a week. I think I'm onto something.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Corny Corn and more Corn over here. Grinding anda cookin.
20230410_181908.jpg
20230410_181908.jpg
Attachments
20230410_164033.jpg
Prairiepiss wrote: Good thing we aren't bound by rules. And we can make it however we want. With whatever we want. As long as we don't talk to much about it in the open.
DAD300 wrote: And...ferment more and more often, always have something ready to distill.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

JLP IV wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:22 pm Corny Corn and more Corn over here. Grinding anda cookin.

20230410_181908.jpg

20230410_181908.jpg
Very nice. Just corn or something else added
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

JLP IV wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:22 pm Corny Corn and more Corn over here. Grinding anda cookin.

20230410_181908.jpg

20230410_181908.jpg
That's a pretty cool setup!
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Bradster68 - 100% corn + enzymes. Followed Pintoshine almost to the letter

Tombombadil - Thank you, I sure appreciate that. Alot of thinking went into it
Prairiepiss wrote: Good thing we aren't bound by rules. And we can make it however we want. With whatever we want. As long as we don't talk to much about it in the open.
DAD300 wrote: And...ferment more and more often, always have something ready to distill.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Just pitched my yeast on 20 gallons of Shadys Sugar Shine. Sg 1.063 Followed the recipe to the letter, except for the yeast. I used Red Star Daddy. This is my biggest ferment to date.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Spirit run on a mixed whiskey. Blend of feints from bourbon sugar head and all grain, and all the low wines from a small breakfast cereal and semolina mash. It turned out superb, and is probably destined to be kept white for as long as it lasts.

I also made a sourdough using the leftovers from straining some bourbon trub, so it’s got a fair bit of spent grain, a nice sharp tang, and really reminds me of the smell of getting ready to do a stripping run. I’ll definitely be doing this again!
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Corn & oatmeal spirit run.
Been sitting in boiler waiting for 6 weeks

Then will be racking 100 litres corn and oats wash which has been clearing for 2 months
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Another batch of Panela rum. Finally able to start keeping up with the family’s drinking habits and build up a stock. This will bring me to 12.6G in barrels and finish out a 3 barrel solara made up of 5G entry barrel former bourbon, 1.6G badmo, 6G spent red wine barrel currently using for finishing but will move to number 2 barrel when / if it stops delivering red wine notes. Holding about 1G in reserve glass for top ups, and another batch of 15G wash in the fermenters.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My annual version of Mezcal de Pechuga while there is plenty of fruit in season.

I don't grow agave, but a similar method and recipe substituting brandy from my own grapes is an exotic sipper that I really like.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71406
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

NZChris wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:14 am My annual version of Mezcal de Pechuga while there is plenty of fruit in season.

I don't grow agave, but a similar method and recipe substituting brandy from my own grapes is an exotic sipper that I really like.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71406
Thanks for the link Chris. Very "very" interesting read🍻
GrumbleStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrumbleStill »

Making cuts from yesterday’s Oat vodka spirit run with my better half. One of my favourite ways to spend a Sunday arvo when all the other chores are done. Lucky for me that she likes it too, especially seeing as she has a way more finely tuned palate and nose than me.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

GrumbleStill wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:49 am Making cuts from yesterday’s Oat vodka spirit run with my better half. One of my favourite ways to spend a Sunday arvo when all the other chores are done. Lucky for me that she likes it too, especially seeing as she has a way more finely tuned palate and nose than me.
Your sir, are indeed a lucky man.

Lucky that your Mrs likes to get actively involved in your hobby.
And doubly lucky that she's got a skilled palate for it!

Sounds like a fantastic way to spend a Sunday afternoon, I'm envious.
Make Booze, not War!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Ive been playing with my new X-TOOL 40W diode laser. This morning I made this stand for my BadMo from a reclaimed fence board.
20230416_123739.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

that's awesome Deplorable!!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Been a busy Sunday here. I've got a bourbon mash cooking in the garage now. 75% Corn, 13% Rye Malt, 12% Barley Malt. I'll dough in the malts in the morning.
I think this run will be destined for a 5 gallon corny keg for a while, until I can make at least one more mash and fill a new Gibbs Barrel. I just need to run to the LHBS to get another bag of rye. I've got one batch resting in glass on sticks already, so I might as well just fill a barrel. That will use up the rest of my corn stash and free up my 2nd fermenter so I can ferment 60 gallons of single malt to fill one of my now empty Barrel Mill Barrels.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:37 pm Ive been playing with my new X-TOOL 40W diode laser. This morning I made this stand for my BadMo from a reclaimed fence board.20230416_123739.jpg
Tell us more!
No burning at all?
I've used an early days 80w laser cabinet but it burned wood really badly.
Make Booze, not War!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

MooseMan wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:06 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:37 pm Ive been playing with my new X-TOOL 40W diode laser. This morning I made this stand for my BadMo from a reclaimed fence board.20230416_123739.jpg
Tell us more!
No burning at all?
It will burn it. This was 15mm thick pine.
85% power, 30mm/s speed, air assist, and 10 passes worked well with no scorching or char.
Air assist, and focus of the beam in the middle of the material is key. The kerf ended up about half a mm.
Here's a logo I cut in a bamboo cutting board for a giveaway at a rally we attend every year. This was 116mm/s at 35% and it's about 1.5 mm deep.
20230414_162015.jpg
It does a good job on glass if you use a carrier agent for the blue light to focus on.
20230415_113957.jpg
It will etch SS, and if you set it right it will give some coloration to the metal.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:44 am
MooseMan wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:06 pm
Tell us more!
No burning at all?
It will burn it. This was 15mm thick pine.
85% power, 30mm/s speed, air assist, and 10 passes worked well with no scorching or char.
Air assist, and focus of the beam in the middle of the material is key. The kerf ended up about half a mm.
Here's a logo I cut in a bamboo cutting board for a giveaway at a rally we attend every year. This was 116mm/s at 35% and it's about 1.5 mm deep.
20230414_162015.jpg

It does a good job on glass if you use a carrier agent for the blue light to focus on.20230415_113957.jpg
It will etch SS, and if you set it right it will give some coloration to the metal.
That's pretty cool. Is it computer software that's cuts logo? Or do you scan a picture?
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Wow that's a really nice sharp etch!

I'd absolutely love one of those to play with, but if I pick up any more hobbies the wife will lose the plot.
Make Booze, not War!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I use Lightburn to run the laser. You can scan an image, and use a number of programs to rasterize it. I haven't tried burning a photo yet. The two images above were vector files.
I don't know what program my wife used to create the apple, but I suspect she used one of the programs we use to create vinyl decals like illustrator or design studio. Just import it into Lightburn, adjust the settings, hit run, and Robert is your father's brother.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

MooseMan wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:58 am Wow that's a really nice sharp etch!

I'd absolutely love one of those to play with, but if I pick up any more hobbies the wife will lose the plot.
I bought this to add additional options for our little side hustle. If this pays for itself as fast as out 2 vinyl cutters did, I'll probably end up with a bigger one down the road.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Nice 👍
JAMAWG
Novice

Post by JAMAWG »

Finally ran my peated malt whisky. Peated malt, amber malt, and oats. Delicious. Recipe is not quite there yet. Last adjustment I will make is half the amber and do light pilsner malt. Have a little barrel waiting for when I get it right.
Mossback moonshiner in Cascadia.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Single malt spirit run.
34% Bairds Heavily Peated and I blended unpeated 'Feints and Foreshots' to my low wines to keep the peatiness in check.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I bottled my barrel-aged bourbon at 106 weeks. Many thanks to Deplorable for shipping down the once-used Barrel Mill barrel he snagged from a local distillery. It has been a game-changer.

The grain bill was 70/17/13 and included 4 kinds of rye (pale, amber, caramel and raw) malts along with Maris Otter pale 2-row. The early batches used DistilaMax GW yeast that was gifted from member Pope and the later batches were made with SafAle US-05.

After two years in hot, dry weather the ABV grew from 62.5% to 66.4%. I reckon I lost 1-1.5gal to the angels (mostly water?) and 1 gal to diligent 2nd year quality control. Nevertheless, the spirit is rich and complex from the ryes, has a fantastic nose and pleasing color. I really only took a decent heads cut and included all the tails I had. I bottled the lot at barrel proof into differently-shaped bottles to see how the light might refract and change the color.
Attachments
Final.jpeg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:50 am
That looks and sounds very good! Is that the same yeast you sent me to try out? I'm sitting on that for the next bourbon ag :).

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————