What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Wildcats
Distiller

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Wildcats »

MooseMan wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:18 am
Wildcats wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:14 am Cleaning run and sacrificial run today on my new rig.
Look forward to hearing about the maiden voyage!
Thanks man. I am very happy with the new rig.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Iv got tons of spent grains coming my way so I made 2- 45 gallon sugarheads. Gotta try and stay out of the aging stuff.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
WeeBit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WeeBit »

I just got 2 15g ferments going. Calling it American Malt. U put it all together and see what sticks. At 2.3#/gal
25% vienna malt
25% munich malt
35% 2 row malt
5% honey malt
5% cara ruby malt(previously graham)
5% whole oats
Fsi 927 yeast
See what happens in a couple of weeks
With shop door open u could smell it steeping 50ft away, Very Nice
smiling
Novice

Post by smiling »

Just made my first strawberry panty dropper, delicious. Now need a recipe for a dick lifter!
Curiosity didn't kill the cat, it was ignorance.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Doing a spirit run on some 75/13/12. Usually Sundays are my run-day, but I have someplace else to be Sunday morning, so I figured I might as well get this knocked out and on wood.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

smiling wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:30 pm Just made my first strawberry panty dropper, delicious. Now need a recipe for a dick lifter!
😂 That's funny🤣
GrumbleStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrumbleStill »

Stripped 4x25l (including grain) of 80 corn/10 barley /10 rye. All 4 fermented out the same, so thought I’d try slightly different techniques to strip.
Collected 5L on each batch and measured abv of low wines at the end.
1st one I distilled on grain, got 32%, took 5hrs cos I was running very slow to avoid scorching.
2nd batch I sparged, got 29%, took 2 hrs
3rd batch sparged & squeezed, got 31% also 2hrs
4th batch just squeezed, only got 25%, so I reckon I’ll stick with sparging in future.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

In the last few days I've...

- Started my first large batch of anything (WPOSW in this case).
- Made two test batches of gin (London Dry and Spicey)
- Nearly finished a batch of Crème de Cassis which looks to be turning out great (I'll post the recipe when it's finished).
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

NormandieStill wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:21 am - Nearly finished a batch of Crème de Cassis which looks to be turning out great (I'll post the recipe when it's finished).
Looking forward to this post! Kir Royale’s are a favorite in my house.

Edit: I found this recipe awhile back, but haven’t tried it yet. Curious about yours.
https://imbibemagazine.com/recipe/homem ... de-cassis/
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Wife made some rhubarb simple syrup after getting a rhubarb margarita recipe from a friend. We will see tonight how this one tastes.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Bushman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:53 am Wife made some rhubarb simple syrup after getting a rhubarb margarita recipe from a friend. We will see tonight how this one tastes.
I made a rhubarb and rosemary liqueur from my first batch of neutral. I also made a batch as a cordial for the kids. Both were very tasty.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Ran a 7 gallon spirit run of something I wanted to try. Corn rye and some honey malt. Hearts have subtle sweetness.
I'll make my cuts today and oak. Toasted no char.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Also. Thanks to Bushman and NormandieStill for the rhubarb ideas. Our 2yr old plants are huge and the wife loves margaritas.🍻
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Bradster68, here is the recipe from my wife’s friend. We varied by using a jigger and making it like the margarita recipes.
I have become a convert to rhubarb margaritas, since my road trip. Rhubarb lovers may like this simple syrup... I tripled the recipe to get these 2 bottles:

2 c. Water
3 c. Chopped rhubarb
1c. Granulated sugar (recipe says 1.5 c, but I liked it less-sweet...just experiment for your taste.
10 mint leaves

Simple syrup: Mix all above in a sauce pan (I used a soup pot for triple). Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer for 20-25 minutes. Drain through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl. My strainer is not fine, so I put an old dishtowel into the strainer to keep rhubarb separate from juices. Let liquid cool awhile, pour into any glass juice jars, quart jars, or wine bottles with screw tops available. Toss cooked rhubarb pulp in trash. The mint leaves add nice flavor. I plant mine in a corner where I don't mind if it takes over.. To make rhubarbaritas, fill a glass with ice, pour in an inch of rhubarb simple syrup, a jigger of Tequila, and top with triple sec, fresh lime juice squeezed - and a fresh mint sprig. Happy Summer! I don't blend like I do regular margaritas, just like it on ice best.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Bushman wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:38 am Bradster68, here is the recipe from my wife’s friend. We varied by using a jigger and making it like the margarita recipes.
I have become a convert to rhubarb margaritas, since my road trip. Rhubarb lovers may like this simple syrup... I tripled the recipe to get these 2 bottles:

2 c. Water
3 c. Chopped rhubarb
1c. Granulated sugar (recipe says 1.5 c, but I liked it less-sweet...just experiment for your taste.
10 mint leaves

Simple syrup: Mix all above in a sauce pan (I used a soup pot for triple). Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer for 20-25 minutes. Drain through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl. My strainer is not fine, so I put an old dishtowel into the strainer to keep rhubarb separate from juices. Let liquid cool awhile, pour into any glass juice jars, quart jars, or wine bottles with screw tops available. Toss cooked rhubarb pulp in trash. The mint leaves add nice flavor. I plant mine in a corner where I don't mind if it takes over.. To make rhubarbaritas, fill a glass with ice, pour in an inch of rhubarb simple syrup, a jigger of Tequila, and top with triple sec, fresh lime juice squeezed - and a fresh mint sprig. Happy Summer! I don't blend like I do regular margaritas, just like it on ice best.
That's perfect . Thanks so much. I scoured the net and found lots of recipes but wasn't sure 1 to try. This makes it easy for me. I'm on it. :thumbup:
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Rhubarb margaritas. Made a small batch but will be making more. Lacking the triple sec though 🍻
Attachments
20230611_112707.jpg
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Bradster68 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:28 am Rhubarb margaritas. Made a small batch but will be making more. Lacking the triple sec though 🍻
Those look great.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Wildcats wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:34 am
Bradster68 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:28 am Rhubarb margaritas. Made a small batch but will be making more. Lacking the triple sec though 🍻
Those look great.
Yes. They are a great twist on the original margaritas. (which we consume alot in summer). I realized today though there's red and green rhubarb. I'll be planting red and checking the flavor differences.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Bradster68 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:06 pm
Those look great.
Yes. They are a great twist on the original margaritas. (which we consume alot in summer). I realized today though there's red and green rhubarb. I'll be planting red and checking the flavor differences.
There's green rhubarb?
Huh. I'll be damned. I've only ever known red.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:09 pm
Bradster68 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:06 pm
Those look great.
There's green rhubarb?
Huh. I'll be damned. I've only ever known red.
I bought the red yesterday.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Around here there is a lot of green rhubarb, its a lot easier to find than the red stuff. A couple of years ago I bought and planted some small rhubarb plants, as they matured and began to bear harvest-able sized stalks I was kind of disappointed to find that most didn't turn red.
Most of what Ive read since agrees with what is written below, mostly its genetics, Buy well bred plants that are a named variety from a reputable source and they will more than likely be red. The other option , the one I took :roll: , buy the first punnet of seedlings from the first source you find and its will quite likely turn out to be green,
Quote;
"Contrary to popular belief, whether it's red, pink, green or something in-between, rhubarb's color has nothing to do with ripeness. Rather, its hue is completely determined by genes; different varieties produce different colors, and green rhubarbs are just as sweet as red ones."
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Growing up where I did, it wasn't uncommon to find wild rhubarb growing along the irrigation canals. We ate a lot of it as kids.
We were feral, latch-key kids and ate a lot of fruits and vegetables we picked while playing outside all day. Asparagus, onions, rhubarb, corn, carrots, tomatoes, apples, cherries and apricots were all easy foraging. If it was ripe, and not behind a fence it was fair game.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Well it's good to know my green is just as sweet. The plant was cheap so what the hey. As a kid I always had a stalk in my hands 'maw has many a picture with a puckered face. Living next door to my cousins we bombed around the country side on dirt bikes. Apples and mulberry being our favorite tree to sit in.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Helluvaday. My UJ is almost dry and it was a quiet day so… 2 gals of youpon mead started. Love the rich flavor. 8.5 gals of turbinado/black strap rum started. Double pitched the yeast and it went off like a firecracker. 5 gals of a nice pale ale in the bucket. Should come out about 6 abv with a nice citrusy note. All in all, a good day.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Wildcats wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:24 pm
smiling wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:30 pm Just made my first strawberry panty dropper, delicious. Now need a recipe for a dick lifter!
😂 That's funny🤣
same recipe but you create an "essence" with crushed up little blue pills and mix for desired affect :lol:
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

😂😆😂 even better.
BoilerMaker
Novice

Post by BoilerMaker »

Pitched FP-1 on a couple malt ferments:
- 30% 2 row, 30% peated, 18% golden promise, 22% mongrel mixture of left over barley and wheat malts
- 90% triticale, 10% triticale C-75
Last edited by BoilerMaker on Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Stripping 10 gallons of Shadys Sugar Shine. Adding to my low wines.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Made a whiskey mash today. Smells absolutely delicious
40% Flaked Maize
27%Golden Promise
20% White Wheat
15% Malted Rye

Safale S-04 yeast

25 Gallons of Water
51 lbs of grain
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Trying to clear lemon wine (skeeter pee) to combine with strawberry PD to make some strawberry lemonade for summer time lake drinking’.

Hoping the lemon wine enhances the PD properties :D
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!