What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

From lussia with Rove...
flwr.jpg
The components of my single pot still.
Unmalted, toasted, petroglyphed...
Now bubbling / to be triple stilled.

har druckit för mycket
Chug
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chug »

Running some simple sugar shine today, but I’m also taking the opportunity to make the stilling shed a little more cozy as well by installing a tv and a new wood stove!
Attachments
6CBE853D-631A-4DB4-968F-B678C24E10EF.jpeg
6A3D1A42-5BBE-438D-AB6F-FC0F2200FD26.jpeg
9EFBEB4C-3B15-4D63-A857-F03FF0FFF899.jpeg

5 gal homemade potstill -:- If it works, it ain’t stupid -:- Progress, not perfection
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I was planning a spirit run of caramel corn bourbon today, but her indoors reminded me I have a dentist appointment at noon, so after that I'm making a run for more corn. The spirit run will have to wait another day.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:43 am I was planning a spirit run of caramel corn bourbon today, but her indoors reminded me I have a dentist appointment at noon, so after that I'm making a run for more corn. The spirit run will have to wait another day.
Caramel corn bourbon sounds excellent!

Cheers,
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:41 pm
Deplorable wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:43 am I was planning a spirit run of caramel corn bourbon today, but her indoors reminded me I have a dentist appointment at noon, so after that I'm making a run for more corn. The spirit run will have to wait another day.
Caramel corn bourbon sounds excellent!

Cheers,
-j
Well, get on the HDHH call tomorrow and I'll probably be in the middle of the run. I can give you a run down on it. I'll even start the run later than usual just for the sake of the call. :D
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Chug wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:27 am Running some simple sugar shine today, but I’m also taking the opportunity to make the stilling shed a little more cozy as well by installing a tv and a new wood stove!
Looking good Chug :thumbup: nice and cozy
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Chug wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:27 am a new wood stove!
Hey Chug... so nice to warm up by the stove. Maybe, it's not my business but is there below a piece of carpet in front of its door, man? And too close to the plywood wall, imo. Please, be more carefull. :roll:

har druckit för mycket
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I'm about to crank the heat and strip the remainder of this spirit run of Caramel wheated bourbon. Man, this stuff is delicious right off the spout. I need to find me some more gallon jugs. after this run, I'm down to storage for one more run, but I've got grains for 3 more ferments.
Chug
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chug »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:25 pm
Hey Chug... so nice to warm up by the stove. Maybe, it's not my business but is there below a piece of carpet in front of its door, man? And too close to the plywood wall, imo. Please, be more carefull. :roll:
Yep, for sure, I need to put stone tile behind the stove to deflect the heat. As to the floor, I think I’ll get one of those heat-resistant BBQ mats or a bit of wool carpet.

5 gal homemade potstill -:- If it works, it ain’t stupid -:- Progress, not perfection
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

:thumbup: yupp :thumbup:

har druckit för mycket
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

FC1A0D14-0EE4-4E92-8C70-12D7F0BF5E48.jpeg
Starting out the year with a low wines run!

Goals… Not resolutions :)

Cheers!
-jonny
————
————
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:35 pm FC1A0D14-0EE4-4E92-8C70-12D7F0BF5E48.jpeg

Starting out the year with a low wines run!

Goals… Not resolutions :)

Cheers!
-jonny
Cheers to that Jonny
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

6D8E4BB4-D1EF-4ABD-9EC7-9BF9BC51847E.jpeg
I find this mesmerizing to watch!

I’m finally doing a spirit run on my first AG whiskey. The low wines have been resting for months, waiting for me to get a moment to run them. First impression as it’s coming off the spout: “Holy crap! Now I see what they were talking about!” I thought my various sugar shines were good, but this is a totally different thing!
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Steve Broady wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:14 pm 6D8E4BB4-D1EF-4ABD-9EC7-9BF9BC51847E.jpeg
I find this mesmerizing to watch!

I’m finally doing a spirit run on my first AG whiskey. The low wines have been resting for months, waiting for me to get a moment to run them. First impression as it’s coming off the spout: “Holy crap! Now I see what they were talking about!” I thought my various sugar shines were good, but this is a totally different thing!
For me, sugar is a thing of the past. AG is just too good for a little more work.
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

Finished stripping two barrels. Low wines will have to wait until back off the road
If in doubt leave it out.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

021E4300-7FF7-4AD1-BD55-F5106EA96E30.jpeg
Well I didn’t make anything but I found these hidden at work today. I might pop one open and see if there’s any rotgut in there :)

I’ve heard of folks throwing in say maybe a gallon of water and letting it sit for a bit then emptying.

Cheers!
-j
————
————
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Did a spirit run on first 3 ujssm generations today. Looking for something to help keep my hands off the HBB and Panella Rum….
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
JAMAWG
Novice

Post by JAMAWG »

Have a sugar nutral spirit run going. Trying out the compressing heads thing. Added sodium carbonate to two stripping runs. Watered it down a lot. Going low and slow. Also started a "tequila" wash. Gallon of blue agave syrup and 5 gallons of water. Just wanted to give it a test run. And damn the yeast are loving it. Going almost as strong as a turbo wash. Bubbling like mad!
Mossback moonshiner in Cascadia.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I blended my first AG bourbon today. The cuts were way wider than I expected, but both my wife and I agreed on them. I’m certainly not complaining about getting more good booze!
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

I cooked up 40 lbs of rice and man that sheet is a sticky mess lol

rice glue baby

Mixed in some magical yellow angel starter of liquor this morning, I'll be back around 11 pm tonight to give it a good stir and hopefully it will be going full power magically delicious
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Boiling 11 gallons of water for 25lbs corn.gonna do my first all corn. Using cracked
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Bradster68 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:08 am Boiling 11 gallons of water for 25lbs corn.gonna do my first all corn. Using cracked
run that cracked corn through your malt mill and you'll get better conversion. My Hull Wrecker handles cracked corn just fine, but Id never try to feed it whole kernel.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:11 am
Bradster68 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:08 am Boiling 11 gallons of water for 25lbs corn.gonna do my first all corn. Using cracked
run that cracked corn through your malt mill and you'll get better conversion. My Hull Wrecker handles cracked corn just fine, but Id never try to feed it whole kernel.
I'm using the ratio you just posted. Been meaning todo for a while now. I'll run through the mill first.👍
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Just_Doug
Novice

Post by Just_Doug »

squigglefunk wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:55 am I cooked up 40 lbs of rice and man that sheet is a sticky mess lol

rice glue baby

Mixed in some magical yellow angel starter of liquor this morning, I'll be back around 11 pm tonight to give it a good stir and hopefully it will be going full power magically delicious
Hey Sqiggle, do use the 2#'s per gallon ratio when doing rice? I've done a little searching but haven't seen this yet.

A rice chocolate malt whiskey has taken hold in my brain and it's gonna have to happen after I get a barrel full of rum aging.
D.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Just_Doug wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:52 am
Hey Sqiggle, do use the 2#'s per gallon ratio when doing rice? I've done a little searching but haven't seen this yet.

A rice chocolate malt whiskey has taken hold in my brain and it's gonna have to happen after I get a barrel full of rum aging.
D.
I prob aim for around that, or a little under. I got 60lbs of rice for a 39 gal. fermenter, I started with 40lbs and I am going to add another 20lbs tonight, and prob more water. In the end I will have the fermenter near full. Kind of a step ferment thing going on because I was too lazy to do all 60 lbs of rice the other night.

this angel yeast yellow cake really does go nuclear on the grains. The rice looked like it was boiling last night when I checked on it.
Just_Doug
Novice

Post by Just_Doug »

squigglefunk wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:27 am
Just_Doug wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:52 am

D.
I prob aim for around that, or a little under. I got 60lbs of rice for a 39 gal. fermenter, I started with 40lbs and I am going to add another 20lbs tonight, and prob more water. In the end I will have the fermenter near full. Kind of a step ferment thing going on because I was too lazy to do all 60 lbs of rice the other night.

this angel yeast yellow cake really does go nuclear on the grains. The rice looked like it was boiling last night when I checked on it.
Thanks for the reply. I am thinking 50lbs rice and 15 to 20lbs of a specialty malt in a 40 gallon ferment to get enough low wines for a spirit. Will be using Yellow Label as well.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Bottled a two week-old spirit Run of my Gin ! Yielded 16 bottles and looks very promising. I'm pretty much settled on this Gin recipe and ready to try a different botanical mix to make something different :-)- I need a smaller Gin boiler!
-- Rrmuf
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Mashed in 3 x 50L fermenters with
* 7.66 kgs corn flour
* 3.33 rolled oat flour
* 43 L of water
* Alpha enzymes
* Gluco enzymes

Started Maceration on a blueberry GIN
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Modified a spare lid I had for my milk can from 2" to 3" so I could run the new 3 inch pot I got last week. Not sure why the pictures loaded in reverse order.
20230128_114701.jpg
20230128_102308.jpg
20230128_105226.jpg
20230128_090000.jpg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Just need to clean it tomorrow, and it'll be ready to run the HBB that's clearing in the buckets behind the still.
Attachments
20230128_144218.jpg