What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Rrmuf »

Stripping my first SBB rum wash + about 1l of neutral feints. Started fine, but I still have questions about what the yield will be because the ferment went very furious but seemed short-lived. So, I suspect my molasses might have a lower % sugar. Either way, we'll see.
-- Rrmuf
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

bcook608 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:56 pm
Bradster68 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:29 pm
bcook608 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:52 am Spirit Run of 4.5 gallons of tequila low wines.
Altered the recipe I followed and there's a TON more aromatic flavor than last time. Low wines taste a little bitey but I don't judge until the spirit run is under way.

If it turns out, I'll post my recipe for you guys to try :)
I would so appreciate any info u got on tequila making. 🍻
I don't have a whole lot of info for traditional tequila. I'm using agave nectar and terpenes. But in my opinion, I think it comes out close enough. Especially if you're going to oak age it into a Reposado or Anejo
Wifey loves tequila. I'll try anything you got.
Thanks sir🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Rrmuf wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:02 am Stripping my first SBB rum wash + about 1l of neutral feints. Started fine, but I still have questions about what the yield will be because the ferment went very furious but seemed short-lived. So, I suspect my molasses might have a lower % sugar. Either way, we'll see.
I usually end up with about 4 or 6 litres (my spirit run) after cuts from a 10 gallon batch. I use regular molasses from bulkbarn
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

monkey shine
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Bradster68 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:09 am
Rrmuf wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:02 am Stripping my first SBB rum wash + about 1l of neutral feints. Started fine, but I still have questions about what the yield will be because the ferment went very furious but seemed short-lived. So, I suspect my molasses might have a lower % sugar. Either way, we'll see.
I usually end up with about 4 or 6 litres (my spirit run) after cuts from a 10 gallon batch. I use regular molasses from bulkbarn
Well, it looks like I ended up with 6.5l low wines on a 24l wash and 1l of feints. ... and now I have dunder for my next couple ferments. Nice!
-- Rrmuf
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Rrmuf wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:14 am
Bradster68 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:09 am
Well, it looks like I ended up with 6.5l low wines on a 24l wash and 1l of feints. ... and now I have dunder for my next couple ferments. Nice!
I have a nice dunder pit,I'm on 5th dunder batch
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Bradster68 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:06 am
bcook608 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:56 pm
Bradster68 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:29 pm
bcook608 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:52 am Spirit Run of 4.5 gallons of tequila low wines.
Altered the recipe I followed and there's a TON more aromatic flavor than last time. Low wines taste a little bitey but I don't judge until the spirit run is under way.

If it turns out, I'll post my recipe for you guys to try :)
I would so appreciate any info u got on tequila making. 🍻
I don't have a whole lot of info for traditional tequila. I'm using agave nectar and terpenes. But in my opinion, I think it comes out close enough. Especially if you're going to oak age it into a Reposado or Anejo
Wifey loves tequila. I'll try anything you got.
Thanks sir🍻
https://www.21missionsagave.com/wild-he ... gave1.html

https://www.21missionsagave.com/agave-terpenes.html

For a 5 gallon batch use enough nectar to bring SG between 1.07 and 1.08, then add 4 tablespoons of terpenes. Add nutrients the same way you would for Shady's Sugar Shine and use a tequila yeast (1/4 cup for 5 gallons) keep it at temp for the yeast and you should have a tasty end product.

I added too much terpenes which gave it a bitter bite on the back end so I tempered it with a pinch of baking soda and triple filtered through my vacuum filtration setup with paper filters to clear it back up. I imagine a pinch of salt would have done the same thing without clouding it up. Just be careful not to overdo the salt.

Proof down to around 100 proof and enjoy. Or age closer to 110-120 proof on oak.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Running my first gumball from some spent bourbon,whiskey grains. Hearts are very sweet right off the tip. :thumbup: I'll age on oak though
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Made some neutral. Stripped 3 batches of sugarheads on chocolate bourbon spent grains that have taken me so long to process that the bourbon itself has been sitting on oak for 6 months! Combined that with a batch of yellow label yeast on (slightly old and not quite consumable) wheat flour. That put about 20L @25% into the still. I added about 4 litres of water to top it up further and 15 teaspoons of sodium carbonate.

Helf full reflux for about 30 mins and then pulled off fores veeeery slowly. After I felt I was pretty much out of heads, I pushed the speed up to about 800ml/hr. Nice and slow and steady. And my little 2" ccvm just sat there and put out azeo all day. Just turned it off having pulled about 4l of product. It seems to be pretty clean nearly from the start and while the last jar I took has some flavour, it's not tailsy. Might run it up again for a bit tomorrow to see how much more there is to be had.

But looks like I'm set for a decent batch of gin for making sloe gin this year.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Setting up now to strip 46 litres of TFF.
After the strip I'll spirit then I have about 10 gallons at 80%(twice through my pot).
Iv never run 3 times through but I'm going to run it all through a 3rd time.
I wanna see how high I can get(abv of course :D ) after 3 times through.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Making a bourbon mash this morning. And I just pulled some cherrywood sticks from the oven. Not sure how hot to taost these, so I went with 385f for 45 minutes. The house smells incredible.
Attachments
20221105_111937.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Just_Doug
Novice

Post by Just_Doug »

Yesterday I got 2 batches (8 gallons each) of SBB rum started and a no mash all grain using yellow label angel yeast. My first all grain so we shall see how it turns out.

8 gallons of water and 5lbs each of English black malt, English extra dark crystal malt, and Midnight wheat malt.

All three are wrapped up in blankets, one of which is an electric so they are running at about 85f at the moment and bubbling away happily.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Chillin' 25 gallons of corn, rye and 2 row down to pitching temperature.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Made about 35 litres of an oatmeal chocolate granola mix. Got a 50lb bag of this stuff. Heat up a big BOP of water to 112 and let sit an hour, then brought.up to 145 added amylase( it really thinned everything out alot you can see by the pic)let sit all night. These are rolled oats I'm guessing. Added water next morning to pitch temp,made a starter,multi vitamin, dap and Epsom.
OG was 1.07 eggshells as buffer and its bubbling away pretty aggressively.
This stuff was free so I'm only out my time and a few cheap supplies. I'm gonna do the rest now as this seem to work ok. Not sure what the taste will be but my garage smells heavenly.or what to call this sticky mess.
Attachments
20221106_123238.jpg
20221107_152223.jpg
20221107_073840.jpg
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I didn't make nothing.
But I did drink beer and watch while other folks distilled rakia with a wood fired copper pot. :lol:
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I made distilled water… not that impressive, except that it made me happy because it came nice and clean out of my newly rebuilt still!
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88563
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

15 gallons of fruit punch wine using:
5 gallons choke cherries -crushed and pressed
5 gallons apples - same
5 gallons pears - same
1 gallon peaches in can (only additional sugar because of the syrup)
12 8 oz bottles concentrate mix of apple and Concorde

6.5 gallons total before adding...

5 gallons apples juice
1 gallon concentrate vintner best blackberry
1 gallon concentrate vintner best cherry
I added one gallon of water to bring it up to 15 gallons at 13% potential alcohol.

Added pectic and 3 packets red star premiere classique.

Plan to keep 3 gallons as wine if it's good enough to drink, if not, I'll run it all through boiler and strip until I fill my new Vevor 8 gallon with thumper to 7 gallons and spirit it with the thumper and spent fruit must
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

shadylane wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:53 am I didn't make nothing.
But I did drink beer and watch while other folks distilled rakia with a wood fired copper pot. :lol:
Now that's a good day. :thumbup:
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Here we go.
3) 55 gallon batches of Booners casual. So. Much. Work.

Gonna strip and spirit. No more reflux with bubble caps. Too much of a grainy tails trap.
Hope to end up with enough for 4) 23 gallon runs and maybe hit 8-9 gallons at 100 proof for next year's supply
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Our corn got mold and weavels from too much humidity.
6 barrels today. Enzymes. Hopefully this will get it's close to filling our once used bourbon barrel 30 gallon, at least halfway
Mashing in strait sweetfeed with wheat, all grain.
40# COB but no barley, from the feed lot in eastern Colorado
40# wheat
40 gallons per barrel

2" straight out of boiler makes it a dream. Automated pulley helps
Attachments
IMG_20221112_120624102.jpg
IMG_20221112_120612838.jpg
Last edited by RockinRockies on Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I pulled a couple of 30ml samples from 5 gallon barrels. One of 4 month old HBB and one of a year old straight corn likker. The HBB was what you would expect at 4 months. Still a little grassy, and grungy. An awkward pre-teen flavor, but tracking where I expected it. The Corn Likker barrel is good, with just the slightest hint of the Malbec that was in the barrel previously. Its ready to start drinking a bottle here and there, while it continues to evolve. I have about 2/3rds of a gallons of the same in a jug on cherry wood that needs to get poured in and blended. This barrel will be ready for a new batch of single malt whiskey when emptied.
Yodaspike
Novice

Post by Yodaspike »

Last run, malberry, by weight half and half with sugar, game out selling real good, think ITS gonna be nice around xmas
Yodaspike
Novice

Post by Yodaspike »

Hoping i can do a doen and barley whiskey OVER December, Soo many recipes, so little time
B_Stilling
Novice

Post by B_Stilling »

Made some Kvass from leftover bread last week. Pitched yeast at 34 degrees celcius, thing took off like a rocket and was fermented dry in 2 days. Next time ill time it better so I can finish in in the fridge for some more carbonisation. Turned out allright, tad too much coriander. More of a summerdrink anyway.

Also had some strawberries that got moldy in the fridge. Ate the best ones, cooked the rest with sugar and pressed it to pulp. After a few days it smells like strawberry sundae icecream and cherry beer ('kriek' its called here?) and looks absolutely disgusting. Heard a slow ferment is best for fruit, so trying to find a balance between long fermentation time and getting mold (thats the reason I cooked everything). Well see how it turns out. Its a small quantity, probably too small for my still, but I'd like to run it anyway.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Strip run of a 5lb barley 5lb rye and 2lbs corn.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Doing a slow strip run on my first ever 5 gallon all fresh squeezed apples. No sugar added.I still got another 5 gallons to strip then I'll spirit run. Imma age some on some used brandy chips. I heard this might be good.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

so i converted my 5L alembic still to run on a 1500w hotplate instead (I bypassed the thermo switch)
3L of OEG wash and ready to rock
heated up damn fast, and i didn't cut down the power in time
got a bit of high speed stream until the hot plate cooled down
massive lag

i now know that i have to cut the power to 30% when it reaches 40°C on the gauge in the head. And let it slowly creep up to 60°C where i get 1st drips.

now running at a steady 2 drips per second

3 bottles of OEG coming up! :)
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

trying the "lazy man's" mashing method again, using 100LBs of "fine cracked corn" and filling a 55 gallon plastic fermenter with near boiling water is scary lol, it warped my barrel and I have fun imagining all the ball shriveling chemicals leaching into my mash,... MM MMM good! It's thick plastic so I was only slightly worried about it busting open and releasing liquid hot corn magma all over.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

continuing the lazy mash... I had to put box fans on either side to get the temp down to pitch. it was still at around 120° when I got home from work at 4pm. took until 10:30pm to get cooled down. used bakers yeast primed in a few mason jars of mash pitched at around 90° -

when I woke up this am it's bubbling away like mad

I do love the smell of an all grain ferment... not sure I got full conversion but i imagine the grains/starch will continue to be converted/fermented and I will do a sugar head run on the remains with a topper of fresh corn mash added in.

I gotta get me a better fementer! An old oak barrel or 304 stainless...
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

My spirit run of my chocolate oat whiskey. Interesting enough there is a slight chocolate flavor