The liar's bench

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The liar's bench

Post by Yonder »

“Didn't know whether to post here or if we should retire this with Butch gone. “

Wouldn’t think of such a thing. Not only is it a legacy but a fine tradition here. Back in my old hunting grounds in the Shenandoahs, most little patches had one such as this. An old general store, smelling of wood stoves and worn hickory floors and ground grain. They run a tab for ya, not for credit but to see what an how much to order next month. You can sit and pass the time of day, maybe a sip when no one’s looking. Jawbone after chores, an bitch about the weather and taxes.

Nope. Don’t get rid of it. No, sir.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

fml...wife's got a head cold. daughter picked up a norovirus. too cold to go outside...i think ima sleep in the shed tonite. Christmas is postponed until next weekend or longer maybe we'll do Ukrainian Christmas instead this year, that'll give everybody time to quit...well... all the nastiness.

Hope you all have a bit more fun with your families this weekend! wishing health and happiness for you 'n yorn. Merry Christmas!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Welp, it's Christmas morning and i hope you are surrounded with family an joy.
It's a sentimental time of year and like most years, Christmas always conjures fond memories of time and people that have gone by. This year, i am reminded of when i was a young man, before my grandparents had passed.
One Christmas eve, the whole family had gathered to share a wonderful Christmas dinner, turkey and ham and all the fixin's. My Gma, one of the most peaceful and loving people you'd ever hope to meet was always so sweet and polite. She would always address my grandfather with loving, affectionate terms.
"Sweetheart, can you pass the cranberries please" or she would gently squeeze his knee and say "Honey, would you pour a bit more wine please"
My Grandfather, who was a bit hard of hearing would always oblige with a smile and a twinkle in his eye "yes dear"
They had been married over 50 years and you could really see the love. It was so sweet that they could hold each other so dear after such a long marriage.
I recall one Christmas a few years later when Gma was getting on in years, after dinner the men had headed out for a cigar or a pipe. The ladies had retired back to the kitchen for clean up and a sip of liqueurs and i overheard my Uncle's wife Sally say to Gma:
"Faye, what's your secret? You have been married almost sixty years and your still in love, calling Gramps all those sweetheart lovey names"
Gma knocked back the last of her digestif and said "Well Sally, truth be told, his name slipped my mind about a decade ago and i haven't the courage to ask the miserable old son-of-a-bitch what his name is."
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I spent Christmas in my old home town on the Murray River which is in flood, the second highest level in history. It got quite hot but there was a ban of and boating or swimming even in backwaters, bloody nanny state. I mean to say, I the main channel of the river is dangerous and power boats will wreck levy backs but backwaters over private property, t'is a slippery slope when they start encroaching legislation on access to that. The back story for why that happened is to me somewhat sad if what I suspect is true. So a man's body is found in a bad state floating down the river, it took them a good while to find out who he was even though he had identification on him Black Jack had been a member of the community for many years, long before I left, he was a friendly itinerant fruit picker known by many. In recent times he had become homeless and was camping on the river flats and had developed serious heart conditions and had not been seen around town for around 3 weeks or so before the floods some folks had noticed. I suspect the rising waters picked up and carried his corpse down stream as his campsite flooded. Liked by many but not enough for any to check on his welfare, easier to say in retrospect look how dangerous the river has become. Cheers to you Jack, sorry for your lonely end.
Attachments
Road to his campsite
Road to his campsite
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Nanny state keeps expanding. The latest here in the US was talk of banning gas stoves. One study says they cause too much indoor air pollution but the study is a bit suspect given the funding source. Fortunately the EPA backed off due to the blow back but these things never go away. It will come back again. Just like they reinstated the rules that let them regulate every little ditch if water flows in it from time to time that eventually goes to a river. That rule was gone for a time (last administration) but back now. Regulators usually play the long game, take an inch now and an inch later until they eventually get the entire mile.

Of course those of us here are reclaiming a bit of our freedom by taking back our right to make our own drink. Small start but we also need to play the long game. Who would of imagined 20 years ago that 25 of the 50 US states would no longer require a permit to carry concealed.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Hey Y’all! I’m back! Seeing the Liar’s bench on page two was a shock. Not sure why, hopefully not because of Truckingbutch’s passing…. No way would he want this stopped! Any how I’m back and trying to get back into the swing of things again. Trying to find pure grain sweetfeed ( I LIKE SWEETFEED!) in SE Oklahoma has been a bust, so I actually made some Uncle Jesse’s Corn and that turned out well, but it’s not sweetfeed (I LIKE SWEETFEED!).
So I’m experimenting making my own mix and hopefully I’ll be posting again!
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

:wave: bob. For a faux sweetfeed use corn and oatmeal with brown sugar.

And a lil blond girl here says HI. But she ain’t so lil anymore
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Bigbob wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:06 pm Hey Y’all! I’m back! Seeing the Liar’s bench on page two was a shock. Not sure why, hopefully not because of Truckingbutch’s passing…. No way would he want this stopped! Any how I’m back and trying to get back into the swing of things again. Trying to find pure grain sweetfeed ( I LIKE SWEETFEED!) in SE Oklahoma has been a bust, so I actually made some Uncle Jesse’s Corn and that turned out well, but it’s not sweetfeed (I LIKE SWEETFEED!).
So I’m experimenting making my own mix and hopefully I’ll be posting again!
Welcome back BigBob,
I remember tasting your sweet feed and thinking that this is too good for being sweet feed.
Looking forward to trying your next Sweetfeed

Stay safe
OVZ
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

And a lil blond girl here says HI. But she ain’t so lil anymore

I bet she isn’t! Hi right back y’all! Everything going good?
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Hey Oldvine! Glad to see you! I’m right now boiling the water to dump in the grain.
I settled on 12lbs cracked corn
2 big cans of oats
3 small bottles of molasses (1backstrarp)
Mix all ingredients and have let it sit for a week, now dump 4” into my 7 gal fermenter and boiling the water to dump 10lbs of sugar. It smells like sweetfeed!
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Damn maid went on strike. Bench is dusty. Just dropping in to check in. I’m not around much anymore, still peek in to make sure that damned monkey isn’t causing trouble.

On another note.
DRINKS ARE ON ME

Grand daughter was born early friday morning. Lord willing she will become a tag along to the bench.

Oaklee mae makes 5 generations on the topside of the grass
Attachments
5B017A4F-8ADF-4417-99B8-8EE3876B3B9A.jpeg
big help
Dunder
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Congrats on the youngun
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Congratulations to all involved Jed.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Nothing like a baby to bring family together.
Congratulations
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Life is good. Grand daughter sleeping in arms and pup sleeping at feet
Attachments
IMG_0452.jpeg
big help
Dunder
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Sorry to intrude folks, normally I whiz along through this page looking for sh*TS and giggles, but stumbled to a mental stop at mention of Truckenbutch’s passing. Is it true? Has TB actual led passed, or simple evaporated?
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Sorry to say it is true BoomTown. TB is helping the angels monitor our product.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I told the wife the other day that “They say that during sex you burn off as many calories as running eight miles”.
She looked at me and asked “Who the hell runs eight miles in 30 seconds”?

I thought that was rude but I got her back.
She called to me from the bathroom “honey I shaved down there, you know what that means”

I shouted back “yeah, the drain is clogged”!!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Wife asked me “babe, do I please you in bed”??

“I said yeah when you do that little trick”

“What trick is that” she asked

“The one where you close your trap and go to sleep” apparently isn’t a good answer😳
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Sometimes, it’s good to just kick back against the siding and enjoy the scene. Have a sip and let the mind wander while you stare at the woods across the road. Fuckin’ squirrels are everywhere when you ain’t got your 22. Quiet and peaceful like. Maybe just a sip. Just one then I’ll go on home.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

G'day y'all , my old mate Bags that has been part of some of my stories has closed his eyes to wake no more and was laid to rest last Friday. The plum brandy we drank at his wake was one he helped run and left over from his 60th a few months back. Good food, good music, good drink, good friends, but for the lack of one would have been a good time.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Sounds like a honourable departure.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

thecroweater wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:01 pm G'day y'all , my old mate Bags that has been part of some of my stories has closed his eyes to wake no more and was laid to rest last Friday. The plum brandy we drank at his wake was one he helped run and left over from his 60th a few months back. Good food, good music, good drink, good friends, but for the lack of one would have been a good time.
Sorry to hear
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Just read the last 221 pages. So many laughs. Wish I'd been around when this started. A lot of crazy shit too.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

“A lot of crazy shit too.“

Nah, just real life. Stay away from big cities and you find a lot of it.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Lived in Austin as a kid. Then in Corpus Christi. Hate big city's. Now live in the country in Kentucky. See plenty of crazy shit here. Real life
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

First time I ever saw American soil in daylight hours was in Kentucky, Oil Springs , Paintsville , kinda area.
Never will forget that morning , was early Spring, trees in hollers all but bare, just starting to sprout buds of green ......beautiful country and glad I got to see it with my own eyes.
Next port of call a few days later was after a long days drive to Michigan, right up in Mackinac Bridge territory.
Whole different ball game there ......seasons seemed weeks behind what was only a 8-10 hour drive away, where I first started out.
Snow flakes in the air and trees still bare, seasons ain't that pronounced here in the Land Down Under.
Gotta get off my arse and get back there soon , a lot I still gotta see n do there .
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Yes there is a profound difference in seasons at that time of year. I once had a job to do in Tampa Florida. And it was the end of February. We drove down. I had packed all kinds of winter clothes. Thick coat and long johns. But down in Tampa it was spring time. All warm and sunny. Never used that thick coat the whole time I was there. It was nice. Trees in bloom and flowers blooming. But cold as hell back home in Kentucky.

If you were around Paintsville. I know you got to see some beautiful country.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

When we were kids.. myself and my lil brother could be found with a cane pole and a can of worms, down at the creek or at a pond. We loved to catch bluegill and sunfish. And snakes and frogs.
The kind of stuff that all boys like. We would kinda turn it into a competition. And boy let me tell you he would get mad if I caught more fish or frogs or whatever the case was.
We lived on a tobacco farm that had a pond in it . That was our favorite place to catch frogs.
Well one day we were catching frogs and as usual I caught more than him. And he was mad as hell.
Now I'm talking 1st grade age. So I must have been about 6 or 7 and him like 4 or 5... Something like that. Anyway the pond that we hunted frogs at was maybe 100 ft or so from the barn and stripping room. Rite beside the barn was a fuel tank for the farm equipment.
So that night after id caught more frogs then him. He snuck out and made his way to the fuel tank and filled a bucket with gas or diesel... Whatever was in it... And poured the fuel on the water of the pond and took a match and lit it... Now I don't know how much fuel he put or how many trips he made from the tank to the pond...but it must have been a good amount. Because when he lit it up the whole top of the pond was a flame.
I guess he was trying to kill all the frogs.
Like I said the fuel tank and barn were like 100 ft away from the pond. And as luck would have it.... There was a good breeze blowing.... It didn't take long for the flames to spread to the tall grass and wasn't long before flames were licking the side of the stripping room....
Now as you can imagine our mom and the farmer that we rented from were both very unhappy about waking up at 1 in the morning to put out a fire before the barn and possibly the fuel tank burned / exploded ....
They got the fire out in time to save the tobacco barn. And of course we got our asses busted.... I kept telling our mom that it wasn't me that did it... She just said it was my fault too because I didn't stop him... Me telling her that I was asleep.... Just got the response of.. "That's not an excuse" in-between hits with the belt ....
That pond never was good frog hunting after that. We moved soon after.....
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Not too sure about that SBB , last time I went up Barra fishing in Kakadu i had to work right up to leaving. It got down to -7 back home in S A, I had to put downpipes on guttering at the hospital and was wet and freezing. I left to drive with 3 other drivers and we drove non-stop 30 hours up to the Mary River NT got out the car there where it was nearly 40 and the humidity soul destroying at least til ya got a bit acclimatized. It felt like we were in a different country for sure.
Now when i went to the USA was July for here in the central highlands ice rain sleet and Snow we landed in LA it was early morning and stomping hot with zero humidity very much like SA in mid summer. Then it was on to DC which was humid af, it kinda reminded me of driving from the south to the north of Australia