The liar's bench

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: The liar's bench

Post by Truckinbutch »

DSM Loki wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:51 am Howdy all, I haven't been through in a while. Thought I'd stop by and say hello, hope all is well.
You have been missed . Hope all is well with you . TB
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome back Loki , hope all has been well in your world.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Thanks guys, been well enough for the most part. My Dad passed away a month ago yesterday. It's been an adjustment to say the least but we're hanging in there.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Loki, sorry to hear about your father. It is one of the more difficult things to face. Lost my mother a couple years ago now and I still think, damn, I need to call and mom and tell her about this, only to realize I can't. I just kept telling myself it is all part of the natural cycle of life even if it doesn't seem fair. That, and prayer helped me and is the only advice I can give.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Loki , there's always a place open for you here on the farm to chill and reboot if it would help . You could burn another year of attendance into "THE LIAR'S BENCH" after your name and relish good memories . TB
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Butch, I'm hoping to do some traveling this year if I can get things sorted and I'll holler if I'm able to roll your way. I appreciate ya bud. Tell the Mrs. I said hello too.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

DSM Loki wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:18 pm Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Butch, I'm hoping to do some traveling this year if I can get things sorted and I'll holler if I'm able to roll your way. I appreciate ya bud. Tell the Mrs. I said hello too.
SOH misses all you guys and welcomes all of you back .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Don't forget if you ever venture further afield there is a place for you here to Loki.
Haven't forgotten your generous offer when I visited your country.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Politicians come around to church socials around election time to campaign .
Congressman from my district came to one of ours and got braced by a Sister Bertha Betternyou about whether he ever let bourbon pass his lips .
"Sister , a valued constituent gifted me a bottle of bourbon 10 years ago and it sits in my cabinet with the seal unbroken , gathering dust to this day. "
He neglected to mention that he was a dedicated scotch drinker .
The devil is in the details .
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Living in Appalachia, there's a certain reputation some of the local churches have, whether true or not.
I've heard, but not seen, that a couple local churches would break out a snake or two, just to watch the visiting politician squirm. True or not, I don't know.
I'm a firm believer that folks should worship (or not) in whatever way they wish as long as it don't infringe on anyone else.
But if I visit a church and snakes come out, its time for me to leave.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Hello all! Just like Loki I’m stopping in after a long hiatus! My second year in Oklahoma and loving it. Finally decided it’s time to break out the still and start stilling! Been trying to find sweetfeed without pellets but it’s seems to be hard to find. I’ll try to be in touch more often! Dsm Loki I’m sorry for your loss.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Hey, there BigBob, nice to see ya post up, I thought you had run off and disappeared and everything. Nobody make a sweeter sweetfeed, git some brewed up and bring it back to the bench :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Bob it's nice to see ya post again, glad to hear you're getting back after it again too. Thanks for your kind words, they are appreciated.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Great to hear from you . Been following Deb on FB . Trying to work past multiple surgeries and get back to stillin , myself . TB
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Damn butch, sounds like everybody's been through the wringer. Hope all goes well for ya on your recovery.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Loki n Butch , seems to me from personal experience that life chugs along perfectly for a good while, then some bastard comes along and throws a bloody big spanner in the works, before ya know it your on ya back in a hospital bed, or worse. Life can be a tough thing , but nearly always there is someone worse off.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:31 am Loki n Butch , seems to me from personal experience that that life chugs along perfectly for a good while, then some bastard come along and throws a bloody big spanner in the works, before ya know it your on ya back in a hospital bed, or worse. Life can be a tough thing , but nearly always there is someone worse off.
Yep . Burried 6 cousins and friends in the last 6 weeks . All but 1 much younger than me .
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

There’s always someone bigger than you, better than you, older or younger than you. We are all judged the same in the end
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

But damn few better looking. At least that is what I tell me wife. Beginning to think she might not agree though.
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Post by Wyododge »

In my part of the world the only thing that outnumbers weapons is cattle and sheep, people are WAY down in that list. We can see as far as the good lord intended young eyes to do, until he decides it’s time to water the land. I don’t point that out to boast, it’s just the way things are out here. We can’t (or won’t) depend on others to defend us be it animal or human. A few years back I took my youngest hunting. Didn’t see anything, but for me, that is never really the point. I can shoot a 6 point from the back porch and fill a duck tag from the front porch. Anyway, we walked and talked, set a few times and watched and waited. When we decided it was best to head back, I had to take him to school so he didn’t miss the whole day and get nicked. We Parked the truck and I followed him in so I could sign him in and let them know he wasn’t out causin trouble (this time). After sending him off on his way the principal walked up and we started to chat a while. All real laid back and friendly, he’s a good guy. Told him I had to run and get some hay up. He looked at me and asked if I’d do him a favor. I said sure, name it, anything I can do to help. He pointed at my hip and asked that next time I leave my side arm in the truck, or at least pull my coat over it. I was kind of embarrassed, and apologized. I keep a keen eye over our little herd and tend to keep my eyes up in the world. I certainly don’t advertise. Learned long ago it’s best to shoot a wolf in the side of the head. He said, “I have no problem with it, and as far as I know, no one else’s does either but if someone comes in lookin for trouble it’s best they don’t know who to look at first”. His was in his shoulder holster and that’s why he always wore a jacket. It was a good day, made me feel a lot better about our little slice of heaven.

Been reading the forum a lot the past few days, saw truckinbutch’s post about newbies posting, so I figured it wouldn’t hurt. The wife took an awful spill on Saturday and has been in horrific pain on the couch since. My neighbor (doc) got us some muscle relaxers and pain killers but they just barely take the edge off. Trying to keep my mind squared up so I don’t lose more of it I guess. Can’t think of anything more painful than watching tears roll down her face. Not sure why that story came to mind, maybe just trying to remember something good to write about to pass the time while she’s resting.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post, and thanks to everyone writing stories. Probably no idea how they would help when you wrote them. Bad part for me is there are only 120 or so pages. I fear I’m gonna need a few hundred more. Ya’ll be free, and hug your loved ones. In the end, they’re all that matter.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Roll Call :
Secret Stillers Society ; how many we still have in attendance ? We had some good parties and some good times over the years .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Wyododge , thank you for one hell of a post . Please contribute more . It's tougher to nurse a loved one than it is to grunt through your own pain . TB
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Truckinbutch wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:19 pm Wyododge , thank you for one hell of a post . Please contribute more . It's tougher to nurse a loved one than it is to grunt through your own pain . TB
Yep.

Geoff
The Baker
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Wyo - hope your wife feels better soon. But as you know, as we get older those bruises and pulls sure take longer to heal.

When I first saw your name I wondered what WY stood for, but you pretty much confirmed it when you described your area. I love that state, lived in Laramie a few years until I found a wife (for me, not someone elses) that lived south of the border. Somewhere in this long winded thread you will find a few posts discuss how many of us have a similar background and attitude, independent, like to take care of ourselves, often farm/rural start to life.

My daughter attended a school with a similar attitude. Even though not allowed I know several teachers that carried. It was several years back when everyone was loosing there shit about even a picture or a pop-tart shaped like a gun and her class had a pinata which when broke open had a bunch of little plastic guns in it. And the school held a turkey shoot at a local range every year to get as many students out shooting as possible. Principle was an NRA instructor.

Welcome to the bench, pull out a jug, have a drink and relax. Let us know if there is anything beyond listening we can do to help. rather friendly bunch sits here.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

:wave: i still lurking. One these days I’ll find time to chat
Truckinbutch wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:11 pm Roll Call :
Secret Stillers Society ; how many we still have in attendance ? We had some good parties and some good times over the years .
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Still stillin’, just not as much.
Funny, I been thinking about you n Jed lately. I still travel west to east and back, and I just get tired of that PA turnpike sometimes. Two ways to avoid it, one way takes me near Butch, and the other way takes me past Jed.
If I need to make many more of my trips y’all might just get a bit of notice I’m coming through… :wave:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

remember when you could go to the corner store with a quarter and get a bag of chips, a Coke and an O'henry!, and two Mo-Jo's?

Ya sure can't do that anymore. They got them damn cameras everywhere these days.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:41 pm
Still stillin’, just not as much.
Funny, I been thinking about you n Jed lately. I still travel west to east and back, and I just get tired of that PA turnpike sometimes. Two ways to avoid it, one way takes me near Butch, and the other way takes me past Jed.
If I need to make many more of my trips y’all might just get a bit of notice I’m coming through… :wave:
The door is always open to all of you and there will be food on the table .
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Post by Wyododge »

Truckinbutch wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:19 pm Wyododge , thank you for one hell of a post . Please contribute more . It's tougher to nurse a loved one than it is to grunt through your own pain . TB
TB - Thank you sir. It is tougher for sure. I’ve had framing nails through my hand, tendons pulled off bones, broken too many to count, separated a shoulder, even been scrubbed by a couple pissed off momma cows when tagging calves. I’d take any one or all of them right now if it would help take her pain away. She really messed up her back.
subbrew wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:25 pm Wyo - hope your wife feels better soon. But as you know, as we get older those bruises and pulls sure take longer to heal.

When I first saw your name I wondered what WY stood for, but you pretty much confirmed it when you described your area. I love that state, lived in Laramie a few years until I found a wife (for me, not someone elses) that lived south of the border. Somewhere in this long winded thread you will find a few posts discuss how many of us have a similar background and attitude, independent, like to take care of ourselves, often farm/rural start to life.

Welcome to the bench, pull out a jug, have a drink and relax. Let us know if there is anything beyond listening we can do to help. rather friendly bunch sits here.
SB - Thank you. Good to know we’re in good company. I kinda got the feeling you had a similar background while reading your post on the lid you made. I could almost see the ffs expression on your face. Truth be told, one of the reasons I decided to register was because of the independent streak among many of the members.

As far as the jug, I don’t even have my parts yet let alone my still built. That may be on hold for a while. Only got a couple weeks before my hitch.

I slowly upped her meds to the point that she was able to get some rest. Even got her out on the back deck so she could get some fresh air and sun. She’s on the mend, but I just can’t get myself to relax yet.

Can’t thank you all enough for the kind words and encouragement. God bless you all.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

How are Yaz all , haven't been around for so long had to make sure I wasn't in the angles share group 😂 . Half feel like I should be as this rotten COVID has finally got me and it's kicking me round a bit
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin