The liar's bench

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Re: The liar's bench

Post by SassyFrass »

Crow, I think any of the angels that hang out here usually have a bent halo and pick a banjo or a dulcimer instead of a harp. Hope you recover from the covid crud. Bunch of folks around my area are getting it for their 2nd, 3rd or more times. Symptoms don't seem to be bothering them as bad as it did folks a couple years ago.
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Missed ya Crow.

Hang in there.

Geoff
The Baker
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

SassyFrass wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:17 pm Crow, I think any of the angels that hang out here usually have a bent halo and pick a banjo or a dulcimer instead of a harp. Hope you recover from the covid crud. Bunch of folks around my area are getting it for their 2nd, 3rd or more times. Symptoms don't seem to be bothering them as bad as it did folks a couple years ago.
Had to look up dulcimer... man you mericans have a lot of soul. I could fit right in.... if it was not that i belong here in africa.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Setsumi,
Im not sure where the dulcimer originated or in what form it was originally but the banjo originated in Africa, from what i was told. Having said that,, take it with a grain of salt, I'm not an authority on music or history.. I'm just full of useless tidbits of random information. Some possibly true and some suspect,, but interesting. Lots of the old mountain folk music seems to be being lost in today's world. Folks used to sit on the porch and sing the old songs about every evening. Now folks stay inside in the AC and watch TV.
Appalachia is a wonderful place to live, IMHO. Most of our ancestors were kicked out of somewhere else and they just got tired of traveling when they got here to these hills. Having good water and corn for likker didn't hurt either, I reckon.
I reckon I'll hit the jug and hush up now.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

thecroweater wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:33 am How are Yaz all , haven't been around for so long had to make sure I wasn't in the angles share group 😂 . Half feel like I should be as this rotten COVID has finally got me and it's kicking me round a bit
Yup, I either have the flu or Covid, will test tomorrow
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Either way cooge, I hope you get to feeling better.
SF

subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Crow, nice to see your name again. Hope you get better soon. Also been thinking about you and the kid situation you mentioned a while back. Hope that is all good as well. As this world gets crazier by the day I find I am more concerned and drawn to family.

Lots of sleep and plenty of vitamins and you will beat covid down.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

subbrew wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:35 pm Crow, nice to see your name again. Hope you get better soon. Also been thinking about you and the kid situation you mentioned a while back. Hope that is all good as well. As this world gets crazier by the day I find I am more concerned and drawn to family.

Thanks Subbrew, I appreciate your advice.

Not sure I am the Crow you were thinking of btw.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:43 pm
subbrew wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:35 pm Crow, nice to see your name again. Hope you get better soon. Also been thinking about you and the kid situation you mentioned a while back. Hope that is all good as well. As this world gets crazier by the day I find I am more concerned and drawn to family.

Thanks Subbrew, I appreciate your advice.

Not sure I am the Crow you were thinking of btw.
Was actually responding the "thecroweater" but I hope you are dong well also.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Dropping through to check in again, glad to see familiar names still popping up. Hope all is well. Crow, sorry to hear it's got ya crook. Take care of yourself and get through it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Just got back from a 1300 mile round trip to pick up my younger daughter, graduating from a North-Eastern College (the one with a close and personal rivalry with Amherst). 10% of her graduating class reported they were positive with Covid between the end of classes and graduation day. Lots of traveling and parties in the interim. From her friend group as a representative segment, I'd estimate only half of those infected actually reported, because they didn't want to miss walking on graduation day. Those who did were relegated to a balcony overlooking the stage. Lots of irony and questionable procedures, although clearly they were trying to do the right thing. As they are all vaccinated, very few had symptoms more than a bad cold, so that's certainly a plus.

Good news is we are home, and the still is running - processing a cider from last year that I'm hoping will strip a funky medicinal smell - either that or it will be a discard.... I saw Diesel prices ranging from $5.69 to almost $7 near Troy NY on the trip.

Stay well people.
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Just passing thru and figured I'd stop by for a bit. Too much stuff going on to stay long, so I'll just set this jug of sipping likker in the shade and yall get a sip when you get dry.
SF

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Much appreciated . Seems like , in these desperate times , that folks have little time to sit for a spell to lie and whittle and spit . TB
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Truckinbutch wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:07 pm Much appreciated . Seems like , in these desperate times , that folks have little time to sit for a spell to lie and whittle and spit . TB
Knew that place when I was younger. Beautiful, it was. Creek running thru it, “cow pasture” was its name. Little store smelled of ancient wood and old fires. Was just off the King’s property by the dam.
You paid your bill at the end of the month. Meantimes they kept a ledger. Quiet, like. Damn me sometimes I hate getting old. But good memories of of a life well lived.
Believe I’ll have a sip this nite. Melancholy, I’m guessin.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Things are getting better here prolly be putting my first rum down tomorrow in 3 long years. That's life for ya things come at ya and knock everything all sygoglin. Kids are still with me, oldest one is hoping to start an apprenticeship as a carpenter soon, he is interested in learning how to mash and still, I will start him off after work tomorrow with the rum then maybe I get him going on a passive mash, seems like an easy place to start
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Bryan1
Swill Maker

Post by Bryan1 »

Eh Crow thinkin of ya here mate and gotta say that second AG I did has aged real nice and is a total different flavour profile to that first one so get ya butt over mate and we can share a bottle or 3
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Makes me think of a new song we are studying:

Or rather:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

6 years ago today I was in Herden VA wondering around our hotel and preparing to meet up with MichiganCornHusker , as I recall we went out to an Irish Pub that was ran by an Aussie. We had a ball and stayed long enough to see it close :thumbup:
Missing all my American friends tonight
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

We so miss you and Sue , too , my friend . It was great times when you stayed at our house . I was impressed with how many great folks here atHD stepped up to make your visit the besst it could be . Would love to have you back .
TB
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

I work construction and I'm not sure if there's anything else that pisses me off more than asking another trade when they're going to be done and out of the way and they just start explaining all of the things they need to do instead of a ballpark timeline of when they'll be finished. I didn't ask what you had left to do. I asked when you'd be done :lolno:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Stonecutter wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:49 pm I work construction and I'm not sure if there's anything else that pisses me off more than asking another trade when they're going to be done and out of the way and they just start explaining all of the things they need to do instead of a ballpark timeline of when they'll be finished. I didn't ask what you had left to do. I asked when you'd be done :lolno:
I think this at some level comes from a desire to justify the time it's going to take them. But somewhere along the line the, actually estimated the time got lost and now weŕe just left with the task list.

...although as someone who also works in construction, I know that I'm woefully bad at estimating how long it'll take me to finish. Whereas I can easily list off what's left to be done!
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I got a list of things I need to do in the next month as long as my arm........how long will it take?.....it might be done in a few months .....might not.
Glad I don't have to work in construction, or have to explain how I spend my time to anyone.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Setsumi wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:20 am
SassyFrass wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:17 pm Crow, I think any of the angels that hang out here usually have a bent halo and pick a banjo or a dulcimer instead of a harp. Hope you recover from the covid crud. Bunch of folks around my area are getting it for their 2nd, 3rd or more times. Symptoms don't seem to be bothering them as bad as it did folks a couple years ago.
Had to look up dulcimer... man you mericans have a lot of soul. I could fit right in.... if it was not that i belong here in africa.
And what were those thingies made of a cigar box with umbrella 'spokes' to be 'plinked' with the thumb/ fingers..
Ilimba. Never seen one but heard of them...

Geoff
The Baker
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

The Baker wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:11 am
Setsumi wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:20 am
And what were those thingies made of a cigar box with umbrella 'spokes' to be 'plinked' with the thumb/ fingers..
Ilimba. Never seen one but heard of them...

Geoff
Yes, that is true Africa has quite a number of tradisional instruments. Sadly western instruments and china imports changes many tradition in a very short time.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:28 am I got a list of things I need to do in the next month as long as my arm........how long will it take?.....it might be done in a few months .....might not.
Glad I don't have to work in construction, or have to explain how I spend my time to anyone.
You know, I try to be polite and kind to everyone on the job site. I’ll treat everyone the same from the General Contractor to the guy sweeping the floor. But it seems ya gotta be a ruthless SOB to get what ya need done. The old timers are easy to work with and usually I get along great with them. And to Normandies point I think we’ve all been guilty of prattling on about our day. But when two blockheads are having tea and crumpets clogging up the hallway I can get a bit unnerved. I always listen to the yarn but in the end it’s the same question…a week, a day, two hours, a year? I need to move my material and you’re in the way asshole.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

If I'm explaining what I got left to do it's because I don't want to see that whining face when I say not sure bud but soon as I can be :lol: all part of the fun of dealing with tin gods and entitled subbies :moresarcasm:
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

I need to sit here and contemplate for a bit. On another thread I was informed that to use oil in a double boiler situation for a still would be dangerous because oil is flammable. Perhaps my reasoning is incorrect, but it seems to me we have used oil over open flame for at least a few thousand years, be that flame produced from wood, coal, gas, or dung. In fact I have tasted and even created a few culinary delights with a pan full of hot oil, heated over a flame in which I submerged various bits of meat from a variety of animals. I see to remember some people even make a ritual of it and call it Fondue.

Our society has gone so overboard on the safety thing. Safety is not first, it is third at best - for reference and a much more entertaining discussion than I can provide google "Mike Rowe safety third".

Well hell, I think I will have a pull from this bottle and think of more enjoyable things such as women I have had or wished I had had.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Week early but

NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

subbrew wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:00 pm for reference and a much more entertaining discussion than I can provide google "Mike Rowe safety third".
As I recall Rowe's argument is one of personal responsibility. Here in France as a sole trader I am more or less free to make safety decisions that impact myself only... but the day that I have an employee I am bound to manage their safety following the accepted standards.

Taking a risk where you have evaluated the level of risk and the potential consequences is not the same as putting someone else at risk.

Use cooking oil? Don't use cooking oil? Ultimately it's your decision based entirely on your circumstances but it's important that the information you need to make that decision is available.

... now where's that bottle?
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

thecroweater wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:32 am
That's life for ya things come at ya and knock everything all sygoglin.
I never heard the word "sygoglin" before, thought it must be an Auzzy slang word.
So, I had to looked it up. Damned if it wasn't a real word, like cattywompus or wopperjawed. :lol:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... =Sigogglin