Barley Malt Syrup

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Noobtoob
Novice

Barley Malt Syrup

Post by Noobtoob »

So I looked and googled and could not ind...

Can this be used to enhance flavor?

I'm a complete beginner and I'm looking at odins kellog recipe and wondered wether I could achieve some barley flavor in the mix by using barley malt syrup substituted for some of the sugars? Does the flavor come through?
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Barley Malt Syrup

Post by Prairiepiss »

Barley malt syrup? Sounds like liquid malt extract. Which is just condensed barley malt wort. And what many homebrewers use to make beer. When not doing all grain.

Need to make sure it doesn't have hops. Or hasn't been hopped.

Where are you finding it at. You don't see it much in regular stores in my parts.

Even if its not LME. It should still work. It would more then likely be made just like LME. And possibly made by the same company.

It should work fine for you. Bit if you post a link to it. We could have a better look at it.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

http://morebeer.com/category/liquid-malt-extract.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Sure works great. I made a whiskey once with all LME. Turned out fine. Its maltose, and its 100% barley. Id encourage everyone to use it in place of refined table sugar.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I think hr is talking more like this? http://www.edenfoods.com/store/product_ ... _id=104050" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
But it still should ne the same thing as LME. Just packaged and sold for a different market.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Noobtoob
Novice

Post by Noobtoob »

Thats great news to me!

Yes Prairiepiss that is what I stumbled upon...I wasn't looking at anything in particular... just was googling malt flavor o something and that popped up. Good to know LME is the same stuff... much cheaper!!! I was surprised I had not seen it used more here in some tried and trues o development etc..

Thanks o the link! Looks like some decent prices.
apdb
Swill Maker
Location: big ole'island on the West Coast Canada, soon to be underwater when the big one hits

Post by apdb »

Hopefully not a dumb question but Do these extracts and syrups have any DP left in them or are they just used for favouring only. The local brew shop sells it out of a fridge in the back of the shop. Id ask him but he's proven to be too nosey in the past.
aj2456
Swill Maker

Post by aj2456 »

yeah that stuff is pretty decent for making beer etc- some people find it doesnt ferment out as well as they would like- probs only 50% fermentable if its anything like the healthfood stuff we get over here, but will certainly work well in adding flavour.

the stuff in HB shops ferment out a bit more but still not as much as pure sugar or even a well mashed all grain beer- but will be easy to find out how fermentable
Q: What do you call a scotsman thats given up drinking?

A: Dead
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

You mite also look up. DME dry malt extract. Basically dehydrated LME.

I would agree. LME would be good to ne used more. But!

The cost of LME compared to malted barley and sugar. Can be a lot. And if you are using it in a sugar head. The grains can be used more then once. LME can't.

It all comes down to personal preference. Derived from cost, ease of use, availability, and taste.

Here is a kinda run down of what can be expected.

All grain batch.
Would have the highest flavor concentration.
Would be the hardest to do.
Would be the lowest yield.
Price of ingredients middle of the three. Equipment is a different story.
Grains and yeast can be used again. In a piggybacking sugarhead.
Finest quality end product.

LME or DME batch.
Lower flavor then above AG.
Easy to do.
Can have a good yield.
Price higher then above AG. Normal everyday equipment.
Nothing but yeast to reuse.
Comparable quality to above AG. Slightly lower. Depending on process.

Sugarhead. With grains and sugar.
Lowest flavor.
Easy to do.
Can have a large yield. Flavor suffers the higher the yield.
Price is lowest.
Grains and yeast can be reused for many generations.
Lowest quality of final product. Not saying its bad. Just comparing it to the other two.

Any mixing of the three. Can result in different results. judge accordingly. And everyone has different outcomes, tastes, and opinions. There have been some on here that like crap I wouldn't start a fire with. So take the opinions as you want.

And no LME doesn't have any DP or enzymes. Like I said. It's finished barley wort. That has been condensed. Or boiled down. If there was any enzymes left. The boil would have killed them.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

DME makes a better product, less caramelization of the malt during drying process since its spray dried. I used to pay $95 for the 50lb sack, but that was 20 years ago before I switched to all grain. Both LME and DME make a nice beer tho. Morebeer says they have their LME mashed at 152 for a good compromise between beer sweetness and fermentability. 8 lbs in 5 gallon will make a nice 1.056 wort/wash.

Im also surprised more people here dont make whiskey out of these products. Its 100% barley, just saves you the step of mashing.

On another note, some DME on hand comes in very handy for yeast starters.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I think one of the reasons you don't see it used much. Is that few people want an all barley whisky. They want corn, wheat, or rye in it to. So at that point you gota just go with AG. Or a faux sugarhead. I could be wrong though.

Personaly all barley malt doesn't even make my list. Of things to do. Beer is a different story.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

If you like Scotch, AG barley can be excellent, with less work and higher yield than corn. Doesn't seem to be too popular, but I love it.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

heartcut wrote:If you like Scotch, AG barley can be excellent, with less work and higher yield than corn. Doesn't seem to be too popular, but I love it.
:thumbup: Nothing wrong with a single malt peated or unpeated both excellent
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Liquid malt extract is the easiest way to make single malt Scotch. Search Harry Jackson's Glenmorangie clone.

Single malt is very, very popular the world around. Using LME, it will be true single malt, but only "true" Scotch if you happen to live in Scotland and age it on oak.........................Just Sayin'
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Was sippin on Ebay one nite and was looking at DME. Next day found I had a buy it now moment had 6# commin my way. It hung around a while but latter added it to a 3th & 4th gen UJ 15 gal at sugar ratio ferment. It added more flavor to the finish taste and was good as a white whiskey. Try it with the UJ sugar wash must be like a molasses does for SF. Too pricey for me to do instead of sugar but I am sure it would be tasty. :thumbup:

AC
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Jimbo wrote:http://morebeer.com/category/liquid-malt-extract.html

Sure works great. I made a whiskey once with all LME. Turned out fine. Its maltose, and its 100% barley. Id encourage everyone to use it in place of refined table sugar.
That is so good to hear as I have a fermenter full of it right now doing an experiment with barley malt extract from Morebeer. I did my regular barley AG but only went 1.5 pounds per gallon of water to see if a little looser mash would convert better and added some malt extract to bring it up to 1.060. It is fermenting right now. I used the Pilsner malt extract for this run. Curious to see how it turns out.
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

I've been using LME for a little while now and I really like the flavour it provides, but I like beer, malt milkshakes, malt biscuits and Maltesers.

What I've been doing is simple sugar wash along the line of Birdwatchers but subbing in a 1Kg tin of LME and leaving out the tomato paste. Run it through the pot and on some toasted oak. Not bad at all and some of my extended family prefer it to the UJ.

As I indicated in my recent posts on my first AG barley attempt, I was a bit light on the grain so I topped it up with a tin so as not to pollute it with cane sugar.

I also usually have some LDME on hand for my brewing and I've used it when I didn't have liquid. It's all good and provides varying amounts of convenience and mess.
homebrewer23
Novice

Post by homebrewer23 »

just sayin wrote:Liquid malt extract is the easiest way to make single malt Scotch. Search Harry Jackson's Glenmorangie clone.

Single malt is very, very popular the world around. Using LME, it will be true single malt, but only "true" Scotch if you happen to live in Scotland and age it on oak.........................Just Sayin'
Hate to burst your bubble but LME and DME are a combo of different grains. Light, dark, gold ect. Nobody knows exactly how much of what grains are used in each one. One of the reasons I switched from partial mash to all grain was because going all grain gave me more control over what went into my beer. Also to get away from the extract "twang".
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

Fair point, and probably dead right to boot.
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

I used DME to make a 25L ferment, and distilled it to make a whisky. Turned out awesome, rapid aged with staves the nuclear way. Taste alot like a Irish style whisky. Super easy to do, not the cheapest way but time wise.
I used LME (beer kits) a lot, I really like it. It's like cheating! Some times they are in liquidation special sales, so relatively cheap. I look for the un hopped ones, hopps that are separate. Made wheat whisky out of a wheat beer, english ale, blonde, and red ale. All excellent. Follow the recipe to ferment (except hopps), when fermented dry distill with caution, everybody tells that they puke. So bring to collect temperature slowly.
I do them with reflux column, so one-and-done distillation (not double pot sitll) and works very fine and very efficient. I adjust the reflux to collect at around 85% with copper packing, cut the head-hearts-tails normally. A 25L ferment collect around 1-1.5L of 80%ish hearts of white spirit ready to be aged.
I usually keep the feints separately for a future similar run or a neutral run for my gins base.

These are great alternatives for all-grain hard work. Sure you pay more, but you save the labor and time (and some additional equipment to make all grain mashes!)
Regards,
Evil_Dark
JAMAWG
Novice

Post by JAMAWG »

There is LME and DME for wheat and rye. Nothing corn.. corn syrup? I have made a batch with dark LME and corn sugar. Blew me away it was so delicious. Because of where I live AG is just too much of a mess and pain. Malt extract has changed the game for me. Love the stuff. Its all M E, molasses with sugar, and agave syrup for me now. No more solids to mess with! If I had a house with a decent garage or shed I would get into AG.
Mossback moonshiner in Cascadia.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

My son and my brother-in-law keep the family supplied with beer from kits.
Apparently it is very good (I don't drink beer....)

So if I get a brew from them (without hops) I could just distil it and get whisky!
Why did I not think of that before??

Thank you people.

Geoff
The Baker
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

The Baker wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:14 pm So if I get a brew from them (without hops) I could just distil it and get whisky!

Thank you people.

Geoff
Correct me if I'm wrong, but almost all beers (99%) have hopps in them, it's for conservation. For sure there is also a flavor thing for those who loves the hopps taste addition. So to be distilled and be good, it's should be without any hopps, so brewed specifically for distilling. Not sure if there is very low hopps if it will cause any bad flavors to a distilate?
In my experience, I use the beer kits and I just don't add the hopps. once fermented I distill normally and i'm happy!
Evil_Dark
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

The Baker wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:14 pm My son and my brother-in-law keep the family supplied with beer from kits.

So if I get a brew from them (without hops) I could just distil it and get whisky!

Thank you people.

Geoff
SS brought this to my attention when I first joined. He said learn to make beer.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Bradster68 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:54 am
The Baker wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:14 pm My son and my brother-in-law keep the family supplied with beer from kits.

Thank you people.

Geoff
SS brought this to my attention when I first joined. He said learn to make beer.
:D

Brewing beer, especially from all-grain brewing, helps to build the foundation for our hobby. The brewing processes, ie - recipe formulation, ingredients selection, mashing, and fermentation are all key elements of this hobby as well.

Since we don’t bottle our “distiller’s beers” as beer brewers bottle (or keg) theirs, some of the processes are not as critical. For example, we don’t need a kettle boil for the purpose of a protein break or the hops additions. The kettle boil will help sanitize the wort, but it will also stop enzyme activity (reduction of starch and conversion to fermentable sugars).

Now, this perspective is relative to grain brewing. Brewing with extract kits, either dry extracts or syrups, is more like make a sugar wash or a rum … just add hot water and stir.

However, the fermentation processes are still a benchmark. Proper aeration for the yeast and temperature management is important here too.

In summary, dry malt extracts typically are not pre-hopped. And many of the syrup kits are likewise unhopped, allowing the brewer to hop his beer as he wants. Since there is such a selection of hops available now to the beer homebrewer, the opportunity of creativity is wide.

So, I would not shy away from extract kits when making a distiller’s beer. Use them if you’ve got them.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:05 am
Bradster68 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:54 am

Thank you people.

Geoff
:D

Brewing beer, especially from all-grain brewing, helps to build the foundation for our hobby. The brewing processes, ie - recipe formulation, ingredients selection, mashing, and fermentation are all key elements of this hobby as well.

Since we don’t bottle our “distiller’s beers” as beer brewers bottle (or keg) theirs, some of the processes are not as critical. For example, we don’t need a kettle boil for the purpose of a protein break or the hops additions. The kettle boil will help sanitize the wort, but it will also stop enzyme activity (reduction of starch and conversion to fermentable sugars).

Now, this perspective is relative to grain brewing. Brewing with extract kits, either dry extracts or syrups, is more like make a sugar wash or a rum … just add hot water and stir.

However, the fermentation processes are still a benchmark. Proper aeration for the yeast and temperature management is important here too.

In summary, dry malt extracts typically are not pre-hopped. And many of the syrup kits are likewise unhopped, allowing the brewer to hop his beer as he wants. Since there is such a selection of hops available now to the beer homebrewer, the opportunity of creativity is wide.

So, I would not shy away from extract kits when making a distiller’s beer. Use them if you’ve got them.
ss
Iv listened and learned alot from your post SS. not only have I joined a beer brewers forum but I do use the liquid extract to play around with.
Thanks again for the tips 🍻
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

LME makes a great whiskey.
A friend uses it often, a while back I made some just to see.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=83594
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

shadylane wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:00 pm LME makes a great whiskey.
A friend uses it often, a while back I made some just to see.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=83594
What the? How'd I miss this post? :wtf:
MoonshinerMike71
Novice

Post by MoonshinerMike71 »

Hey, how's it cooking? I've used the BMS several times. Single Malt Scotch with Peated Malt, Single Malt 6 Row Barley, with BMS. I've used it in Substitute for Molasses in Rum Recipes. The only thing that I've found in my ventures is that it takes a Conjunction of Alpha Amylase and Gluco Amylase (Beta Amylase) with a quality Yeast Energizer, and Yeast Nutrient, and I experimented with a mixture of Distillers, and Brewers Yeast.
MoonshinerMike71
Novice

Post by MoonshinerMike71 »

By the way, in case I haven't properly introduced myself. I've been distilling for around 30-34 years now, (Off and On) when time and circumstances allowed. I run a little 20 Gallon Rocky Point Copper Still, With a 10 Gallon Thumper With a 1" in Inlet and 1/2" Outlet, and 10 Gallon Flake Stand with a 20' feet long 1/2" in ID × 5/8" in OD Copper Worm. I run on A Propane Burner, in the State of Missouri, where they allow Adults over the age of 21 to Distill up to 200 Gallons per Calendar Year Per Household of 2 Adults over the age of 21, and 100 Gallons for a Single Person over the age of 21.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

How about a UJ style (eg; not mashing the corn) bumping the OG to where you want it with D/LME instead of sugar and of course recycled backset + feints... A series of these might be fun and less fuss with the grains..

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————