Fermenting without yeast

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fermenting without yeast

Post by Bradster68 »

Steve Broady wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:06 pm
Renhoekk wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:01 pm The problem is that I can’t replicate it because I don’t know what got in there.
Do you still have roughly the same environment? There’s a chance that whatever wild yeast was living there might still be the same today. Worth a try, at least. That’s a big let of why I want to learn to save and reuse yeast, so that if serendipity strikes, I can be ready to save it and carry on.
Great idea. 👍
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
AB-Rad
Novice

Post by AB-Rad »

Bradster68 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:53 pm
AB-Rad wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:18 pm Ok so call me crazy
I am doing a big batch of corn mash so I did 3, 5 gallon batches planning on pitching my yeast when I finished my 3rd batch.
Today when I went to add my 3rd batch into my ferment bucket I hear something sure enough it's bubbling away.
I quickly added my yeast hopping that what ever got my mash started won't ruin all my work.
Help
Do a search for pintoshines double ferment.
You may have created a sour mash without doing generational mashes.
Iv been eager to try it.
Thanks I will look it up and hopefully this turns out OK.
Worst case I guess I run it through my reflux and strip all the flavor out.
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

Steve Broady wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:06 pm
Renhoekk wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:01 pm The problem is that I can’t replicate it because I don’t know what got in there.
Do you still have roughly the same environment?
Yes but even so it’s still quite random. There’s probably multiple wild yeast strains around my home at any point in time. And even if the odds went my way and the “right” one got into my ferment, there’s still a chance that another yeast strain could also get in there and overpower it. Wild yeast is a novelty but it’s a crapshoot as to what it will produce
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

NC_redcock wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:16 am Wow, you guys are quick, I've got yeast at home, I was just gonna try it without it, it's been less than 24 hours so I'll add yeast when I get home. What's the least amount of yeast I can add to a 5 gallon bucket and still get conversion?
A long, long time ago, during the great lockdown in 2020/2021 yeast was scarce and the shelves were emptied of yeast for all sorts of reasons. Believe it or not, some people were using yeast to make bread and other pastries which of course is a poor life choice and possibly illegal.

Anyway, as the great yeast theft was making it hard to get any yeast, I resorted to making starters or what may be referred to as yeast bombs. Have a look for them but more to the point, I used as little sprinkle of yeast onto a starter of water and sugar with a teaspoon of flour. The Yeast multiply out and you get a cup full of active little yeasty beasts (that is the scientific name for more than one yeast organism, google it)

Using this method you get a lot more mileage from your packet of yeast.

You should also think about harvesting yeast from the trub, I like doing that as the yeast is acclimatised to the role of making alcohol in that particular recipe.

Also, you should talk to your yeast, say encouraging things to it like: "Yeah and unto thee I say go forth merrily and multiply!"

So endeth the lesson.....

The Book of Yeasts 4:14
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

From the Book of Ferments

And the Lord sayeth: "Though shalt not ferment without yeast."
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....