Still Spirits Distiller's Yeast (Vodka + Rum)

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cb_j
Swill Maker

Still Spirits Distiller's Yeast (Vodka + Rum)

Post by cb_j »

I picked up a packet of each today and will be giving it ago shortly using recipes from TaT.
I had done a google search, and tried to do a search here on HD but trying to find topics with those words (Still Spirits Distiller's Yeast) was too common apparently.
While i was trawling, HD gave me the information that there were different brands that made turbo yeasts and had also released a "distilling" yeast varieties and that they weren't anything special.

Both packets (of 72g each) included nutrients and amyloglucosidase.

The rum version has the osmophilic saccharomyces cerevisiae strain "especially suited to 50:50 blend of molasses and sucrose to 15%ABV."

The vodka version doesn't list the strain but "ideal for use with sugar, gain or potato feedstock in vodka or other white spirit production."

Has anyone else had any experience with the specific product?
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Re: Still Spirits Distiller's Yeast (Vodka + Rum)

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Try doing an "HD Google Search". It's at the top left of the screen. Just click on it, put a space at the end of the text in the search box and then type your search string.
I'm goin the distance...
Cardinalbags
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Cardinalbags »

Not so specific to that kind of yeast. I dont think I am too far off base in saying that is probably a turbo yeast package if it is sold by Still Spirits.

There as a lot of good tried and true recipes on here which I believe you are aware off based on your post. Stick with them and dump the turbo yeast.... good for making chemical based fuel only.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

That was my too Cardinalbags, but they have plenty of turbos that aren't shy about be in called turbo. I also thought it might be a Distiller's Active Dry Yeast (DADY) look alike, but I'm not sure. What ever it is I don't really like yeast that comes packaged with other ingredients. I like to re-hydrate my yeast and sometimes I like to make starters. If the ingredients are meant to be diluted in 5 gallons it may actually kill the yeast if it were concentrated in the volume of a starter.

Hopefully someone will come along that has had some experience with these products and shed some light.
I'm goin the distance...
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

It has nutrients in the package. It's a turbo.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
cb_j
Swill Maker

Post by cb_j »

Search dug up that it's quite similar or the same as the Whitelabs product.
Bozzy D
Novice

Post by Bozzy D »

Have not used this particular product but I would suggest giving it a go.. Don't stress the yeast with high temp, high SG etc. If you like it, all good, if not.. well, you live and learn (after all learning is a big part of this hobby!) I personally find most(!) SS yeasts produce an acceptable end product as long as you do not push the bejesus out of them and like how simple they are to use, There are loads of Tried and trues that will most likely give a better result but be prepared for things to get a little more complex.
cb_j
Swill Maker

Post by cb_j »

The yeast turned out great!
It went into a batch of HookRum last week.
The stripping run went fine, i tasted some at about 40 or 50% (can't remember which end...) and the flavour was spot on, the magic spot! A fair bit bitey because it was straight out of the still...

But...

The spirit run turned out even better!
Collected 80% down to ~44% (ended up with a little over a litre at 70%) as hearts and watered down to 40% and taste was still great.
Treatment of the final product will return a great drink!

A new batch to be stripped tomorrow was fermented with bakers active yeast, so we'll see!

Either way, i recommend SS Distiller's Rum yeast.
After tomorrow it might be a case of either or either. (Or six of one, half dozen of the other.)
cb_j
Swill Maker

Post by cb_j »

Sooooooo... I got around to stripping some of the bakers yeast molasses wash tonight... I'm a little disappointed. There's bugger all smell! And what there is is not that great.
The SS stuff had this awesome bouquet through the whole process. Fermenting, stripping and second distillation.
The taste of the wash is roughly the same... But the bakers yeast... Well... I just might have to go and get another packet or few of the SS to see if it was a once off or not...
mikepiet
Novice

Post by mikepiet »

Hi cb_j,

Am anxious to hear about how the SS Vodka yeast turns out as I have been sitting on a packet for a few weeks. Also be interested to know how much sugar you are using with it.

Thanks in advance,

All the best,

Mike P
cb_j
Swill Maker

Post by cb_j »

I'll be using about 5kg of sugar with the volume being around 25L hopefully hitting the 12% mark.
Since it already has nutrients i'll be just using sugar, water and the packet of vodka yeast.
Simple.
I use a pot still and will likely be distilling 3 times. (Strip, spirit and a second spirit run.)

It won't be until either of my barrels are done. So early next week until it goes into the cycle.
mikepiet
Novice

Post by mikepiet »

Thanks cb_j,

Let me know how it comes out.

I just hit 12.3 % with my first lentil wash - have another going also.

All the best,

Mike P
cb_j
Swill Maker

Post by cb_j »

got held up, got distracted.
this is on the horizon, though. i want me some vodka.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Reviving an old thread because I can’t find anything else relevant, and this seems like the simplest way to reference this thread.

I have 1 kg of this rum yeast, purchased early in my hobby when I was hoping that using the “right” yeast would help me make the best product. I don’t really want to get into that argument here, but suffice it to say that I’ve learned a bit since then and probably wouldn’t buy this stuff again without at least doing some more research.

But I have it. I’d like to hear opinions from folks who’ve tried it and can say whether it’s a good one to use, or better to just use baker’s yeast. If there’s no difference, then I’ll use it up. If it’s generally considered to do bad things, then I’ll toss it and call it a cheap education. And if it’s only well suited to certain recipes, I’d like to learn that too. Of course, I would love to have some confirmation that this stuff does indeed give an improved flavor to rum. cb-j certainly seemed to think so, but I’ve seen very little else on the subject.

As far as the recipe, my intention is to do a straight SBB rum with Golden Barrel blackstrap molasses. Not going to push the ABV, and I will be treating the yeast the same regardless of what kind I use.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Steve, is the (dry?) yeast still viable? Or, how old is it? To test viability, you could make a simple starter; hydrate the dry yeast, if it is dried, then add it to a pint of low gravity (3 to 5%ABV maximum) sugar wash. Aerate and airlock for 24 to 36 hours. If healthy, you’ll know by it’s activity and aroma.

I’ve only used bakers yeast in my rum ferments (successfully too). But there is no reason not to use a specialty yeast if you’ve got it. It seems a waste not to … right?

Hint here: don’t try to push the yeast with a high gravity wash. Your golden (premium) molasses will make an elegant, tasty spirit as long as you don’t stress the processes. Also, using processed (table) sugar will buffer the rum character. So, I would recommend using only molasses for the ferment.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Save it, refrigerated, for when you have a stubborn ferment that won't start/restart regardless of what you throw at it.