Odin's Easy Gin

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hawkwing
Swill Maker

Re: Odin's Easy Gin

Post by hawkwing »

I know I found this information in a search. Not sure if it’s back in this thread or another one. Someone weighed them out and figured it out. I couldn’t find rest tangerine so used dried. 6.3g dried is what I used. I’m very happy with the result.
Royalwulf
Novice

Post by Royalwulf »

i have some scales now and making better notes, my question was what weight of peel to start off with
Royalwulf
Novice

Post by Royalwulf »

hawkwing wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:06 am I know I found this information in a search. Not sure if it’s back in this thread or another one. Someone weighed them out and figured it out. I couldn’t find rest tangerine so used dried. 6.3g dried is what I used. I’m very happy with the result.
Thanks Hawkwing
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Royalwulf wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:58 pm i have some scales now and making better notes, my question was what weight of peel to start off with
It depends on the exact type of fruit you are using and how long it has been off the tree. Peel dries a bit, even while still on the fruit.

Peel off about the same amount you think you might have used the first time and weigh it. What you tried first was too much, so try using half of it. If it isn't enough, adjust your next recipe or blend the two batches. I reckon OEG uses far too much citrus and wouldn't be surprised if half of your original amount was still a bit too much for you, but try it anyway.

I mostly use my own dried peels because it doesn't limit me to only making gin while my chosen botanicals are in season.
Royalwulf
Novice

Post by Royalwulf »

thanks NZChris, i dry my own citrus peel as well. I am going to pick an amount, weigh it, then adjust up or down from there, cheers
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Royalwulf wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:19 pm thanks NZChris, i dry my own citrus peel as well. I am going to pick an amount, weigh it, then adjust up or down from there, cheers
Dried is a different question.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=48594&start=1170#p7696787
Royalwulf
Novice

Post by Royalwulf »

cheers
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

This is such a great recipe as is, but I'm not a big gin fella.

The only difference is that I hand pick my Western juniper berries at my property, which provides a more earthy, dusty gin if you will. It's less of the traditional juniper bitterness I consider stingy, or piercing with that gin aftertaste. Western juniper is much more rounded on the palette.

I also use cuties orange peels I think they are clementine.

I follow the recipe exactly and I'm very pleased with it out of my air still with custom controller to keep the wattage low
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

RockinRockies wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:56 am This is such a great recipe as is, but I'm not a big gin fella.

The only difference is that I hand pick my Western juniper berries at my property, which provides a more earthy, dusty gin if you will. It's less of the traditional juniper bitterness I consider stingy, or piercing with that gin aftertaste. Western juniper is much more rounded on the palette.

I also use cuties orange peels I think they are clementine.

I follow the recipe exactly and I'm very pleased with it out of my air still with custom controller to keep the wattage low
I think this recipe got a lot of members into making gin. Must be nice that you have junipers on your property as I have bought mine through Amazon.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Well, I think these western juniper are much too subtle compared to normal gin for the average gin drinker. They make it approachable for me. I followed the original link but it was expired
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

I find the wild juniper from our region a bit milder as well, but it still works! I believe it might have more to do with picking it at sub-optimal times.
-- Rrmuf
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Rrmuf wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:04 am I find the wild juniper from our region a bit milder as well, but it still works! I believe it might have more to do with picking it at sub-optimal times.
Yeah. They weren't blue, greyish white in appearance, but I like the subtle nature more this way
Smog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smog »

Odin wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:21 pm So let's make some gin and let's not make it complicated.
Thank you Odin for this recipe. I made the "no maceration" version but waited 5 weeks to taste the result. And it was worth the wait !

Very Easy to do and very good Gin for sipping on ice.

I made the neutral with rice fermented with the famous yellow label yeast. Distilled to 95% in my 50L keg reflux column. Then i made Odin's recipe in a cheap Vevor air-still (added a diode to the element to cut the power to 350w)
Shit I bought but shouldn't have :
1. Amazon 30L pot distiller
2. T-500 reflux column (good product but expensive)
3. Large 60L stock pot + 2" column

Now using 15.5gal KEG + 5500w electric + fully aircooled reflux condensor and product condenser.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Have a moment waiting for rum ferments to finish so finally giving this a try.

The maceration is sitting overnight now and here’s the total plan:

1.6+ L sugar wash at 43% divided into 2 quart mason jars
Per jar:
10 grams juniper
3 grams coriander
1/2 tangerine skin

Macerate all over night
Run tomorrow morning with tangerine skins removed and put in gin basket
Distill it relatively slowly as in a spirit run;
- Discard the first 10 mls, collect the next ~640 mls
- Dilute to 45%
- Wait as long as I can resist and drink up!
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Running this right now. First 10mls is intense! Pretty extreme tasting that at a little before 9am local…. Gonna be cross eyed the rest of the day from tangerine and juniper tastes.

That said about 150ml into the run another taste was VERY pleasant. Wasn’t looking forward to cleaning the still after this with all those oils everywhere, but so far seems worth it.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Nice! I think most of us who macerate overnight do it at 60% for faster flavor extraction, but let us know how yours comes out. I haven't tried a side-by-side.

Are you distilling at 43% or diluting before distilling? Folks seem to say higher ABV in the still has a drier flavor, but again, I haven't tried a comparison. This will be my next experiment.

Good work!
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

TwoSheds wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:21 am Nice! I think most of us who macerate overnight do it at 60% for faster flavor extraction, but let us know how yours comes out. I haven't tried a side-by-side.

Are you distilling at 43% or diluting before distilling? Folks seem to say higher ABV in the still has a drier flavor, but again, I haven't tried a comparison.
Well. Yes I macerated at 43% because that was Odin’s original post. Hmm…. I had to dilute from a higher ABV to do the Maceration and I usually do them much higher. Gotta say it pulled a ton of flavor so don’t think higher was needed.

On distilling, I almost commented that I was surprised a tried and true had a 43% Abv going into the still given the site is firm on <40%, but yes I just ran it at that level. I use induction for heat in a well ventilated area so figured it was ok. Abv on the spout was 86% post temp correction…. I run a pot with a gin / slobber box and usually get pretty high ABV’s on spirit runs.

Also when I diluted to 45% it louched very badly. Luckily I had some held back and brought it back up to around 50 where it cleared. I don’t care about the louche, but looking forward to sharing this so want it clear.

Do others dilute to 40 to run?

I’ve got it sitting aside right now. Will check on it in a week or so.

CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Dougmatt wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:12 pm
TwoSheds wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:21 am Nice! I think most of us who macerate overnight do it at 60% for faster flavor extraction, but let us know how yours comes out. I haven't tried a side-by-side.

Are you distilling at 43% or diluting before distilling? Folks seem to say higher ABV in the still has a drier flavor, but again, I haven't tried a comparison.
On distilling, I almost commented that I was surprised a tried and true had a 43% Abv going into the still given the site is firm on <40%,.....

Do others dilute to 40 to run?
I am pretty sure 40ABV is a flash point for alcohol, it is a safety issue
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:39 pm
I am pretty sure 40ABV is a flash point for alcohol, it is a safety issue
First point, I believe in the 40% rule of this site and not advocating otherwise. By practice every other time I have dropped below that to run, so I was expressing my surprise that this tried and true appears to suggest running at 43, so if everyone is diluting then we should clarify that. I purposefully did not because after reading this entire tried and true thread, I don’t remember people saying they dilute.

There are a lot of variables involved and this thread adds more discussion on the 40% rule. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=31053

To respond specifically to this comment, All alcohol ABV’s have a Flashpoint, The flashpoint of 40 is nearly the same as that of 43%. (https://webwiser.nlm.nih.gov/substance? ... 8&catId=58).

40 is where the boiling point (78.24) is just below the ethanol flashpoint (79) so once the liquid in the boiler begins to heat up enough to start releasing the alcohol, it quickly recedes from the flash point temperature. Given that, I believe 40 is a relatively safe upper level in the event that the liquid in the boiler escapes or gets exposed to an ignition source etc (again lots of variables). This of course assumes you are doing this at standard atmospheric pressure etc, etc, etc.

Ok back to the thread topic - does everyone dilute this to run it and should the recipe be updated to say that? The only conversation I have found about it is that you “can dilute it, but it will produce a softer gin” and I have seen confirmation from the OP that they did run it at 43%…

Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Odin wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:43 pm If you lower abv from 45 to 30% prior to distilling, that's no problem. You will get a softer, less dry product. Diluting a bit further shouldn't cause problems as long as you distill slowly.

Odin.

This would indicate to me the standard intent to distill at 45%, but you can dilute.

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've never heard of anyone having safety issues when making gin using Odin's OEG method.
MarkA
Novice

Post by MarkA »

I watered down to less than 40% after maceration, then ran it. I don't recall if I read that in regard to OEG, I may have just done it out of habit.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Dougmatt wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:12 pm Well. Yes I macerated at 43% because that was Odin’s original post. Hmm…. I had to dilute from a higher ABV to do the Maceration and I usually do them much higher. Gotta say it pulled a ton of flavor so don’t think higher was needed.
His original recipe also specifies two weeks of maceration, but if it works, it works! Good to hear.
Dougmatt wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:12 pm Also when I diluted to 45% it louched very badly. Luckily I had some held back and brought it back up to around 50 where it cleared. I don’t care about the louche, but looking forward to sharing this so want it clear.
I've had louching at 45% with this and other gin concoctions. Your solution to raise the ABV with undiluted gin certainly works and will bring the flavor up, but lower your overall gin yield.

My alternative solution is to have some neutral diluted to 45% handy. As long as the flavors are strong I add that a little at a time until the gin clears.

There's another thread that talks about making a concentrate with 5x or more of the botanicals then diluting with neutrals down to normal gin strength. Once you're happy with your recipe this can be a good way to make larger batches.

Thanks for sharing your results!

TwoSheds
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

TwoSheds wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:07 am
I've had louching at 45% with this and other gin concoctions. Your solution to raise the ABV with undiluted gin certainly works and will bring the flavor up, but lower your overall gin yield.

My alternative solution is to have some neutral diluted to 45% handy. As long as the flavors are strong I add that a little at a time until the gin clears.

There's another thread that talks about making a concentrate with 5x or more of the botanicals then diluting with neutrals down to normal gin strength. Once you're happy with your recipe this can be a good way to make larger batches.
Great feedback and suggestions. Thank you!

higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

So far I've made 9 bottles of gin using the OEG method, changing up the botanicals one at a time to see the effect.

I only macerate for 24 hrs.
I dilute to <40% before running ... it is the safe thing to do.
And like Twosheds, when (if) it louches at 43% I dilute the finished product with 43% neutral till it clears.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

I found a different thread recently:

viewtopic.php?p=7123687

Where Odin said:
Odin wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:24 am
Also, I changed my maceration styles a bit. Either macerate at 43% and distill. Or macerate at 60%, dilute to 30% and run. Above 43% maceration is great, especially on some more complex herbs bills. Why? Because pretty much all herbs get good extraction at 43% or above.
I think I will do this in the future and taste the difference.

RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Saying that I am not a fan of gin is an understatement but when I must say is following this recipe with hand-picked Rocky mountain Western juniper has such a wonderful citrus forward soft gin profile that I won't drink anything else everybody who's tried it is dying for me to sell it to them and I won't do it... Obviously

This recipe is so fantastic that I can actually sip on it and enjoy it. All these tried n true recipes are fantastic
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

RockinRockies wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:26 pm This recipe is so fantastic that I can actually sip on it and enjoy it. All these tried n true recipes are fantastic
Agree with that sentiment!

Quick update on my recent batch. I had a batch louche at 43% so I proofed up a full jar to make the louche disappear around 45-46%. I then had a half jar of louched product that I set aside to sample until the suggested 5 weeks was reached. I checked it today and the louche has disappeared on its own. Tastes great. The tangerine is settling back (I like the tangerine at this stage so interested to see how much more it settles out) and the juniper is coming forward. Just picked up some star anise and cinnamon to tweak into my next batches.

Great recipe. Not a very complex botanical bill, but a great base to build on! :clap:

kiwipete
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by kiwipete »

Hi all,

Had a first try at Odin's Easy Gin. Super Easy, smells and tastes great already: lots of citrus (which I like) Now will have to try to leave it alone for 5 weeks.. I expect the tastes to mingle / balance over that time.

Thanks Odin!
OEG 2.jpg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Fun looking bottle and label.