Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe

Post by Jimbo »

The recipe is tailored for a 15.5 gallon keg kettle (keggle, keg with the top cut out), 15.5g potstill and a couple 18+ gallon fermenters. You can scale it down to whatever your setup allows.

I like to do this recipe 40 lbs (18kg) of malt at a time, for a couple reasons. 1) 15 gallons (57l) of strike water for mashing fits perfect in a half barrel (15.5g) keggle. 2) It gives 2 10 gallon runs, perfect for a half barrel still. It works equally well with Wheat malt or Barley Malt. My preference is 100% Red Wheat Malt, really nice flavors. But traditional single malt whiskeys are nice too, especially if 25% of the malt is replaced with peat smoked malt for a scotch style recipe. Beechwood and Cherry wood smoked malts are also available at some homebrew shops and online. They are nice but very strong, use sparingly.

Ingredients:
23 gal water (87l)
4 tsp gypsum
40 lbs (18 kg) milled Wheat or Barley Malt

Mashing and Fermenting:
Bring 15 gal of the water, and gypsum to 160 degrees F (71C) (strike temp).
Put 20 lbs (9kg) milled malt in each of 2 20 gallon (75l) fermenters, or all 40 lbs in a bigger barrel if you have a 30+ gallon (113l) barrel.
Stir in half the water into each fermenter (7.5g, 33l) Temp should settle at 148F (64C)
Put the lids loosely on, and wrap the barrels up tight in blankets to hold the mash temp. Stir every 15-30 minutes.
After a couple hours remove the blankets and point a fan at the barrels, it helps cool them much faster to pitch temp.
When the temp is below 80F (27C), add 4 more gallons (15l) water per barrel (8g total), and take a large spoon or mash paddle and whip the mash up to a froth to aerate it well.
Pitch your favorite yeast. (Ferment on the grain) I use US-05 ale yeast, its high attenuation (ferments out dry) and tastes great. Be careful with temp, ale yeasts are best at 68F. Bakers at 80F. Use 2 packets per barrel, 4 packets total. Or 1 packet per 5 gal.

Distilling:
After its done fermenting (1-2 weeks depending on temp)
Pull 5 gallons (19l) of the clear liquid off the top of each barrel, for a 10 gallon stripping run. (save and freeze the backset after distilling in ziplocks for next time
Squeeze 5 more gallons each from the goo in each barrel and let it sit and clear overnight, to run another 10 gallon wash the next day. I use large nylon grain bag for this.
Combine the 2 stripping runs and do a slower spirit run.
Make your cuts to taste and age on oak as long as you can keep your mitts off it.

Yield from 40 lbs (18kg) malt is about 2.6 gallons (10l) 60% (avg) before cuts. Do your cuts to your taste preference. I get about 1.4 gallons (5.3l) 67%, after cuts. For $48 (US) 50 lb bag of wheat malt this works out conveniently to about a case (12 bottles) of 80 proof, at $3.34 per 80 proof fifth. For barley 20% lower cost.

EDIT: If you want to scale this down, use 2 lbs malt per gallon water. Thats typical, and you dont need to seperate the 2 water additions like above. I did that to fit a 15 gal cooker and 40 lb malt bill. Convenient for those of us using kegs for cookers and stills. Also the mash water addition calculation is easy this way...if your grain is 70F, then the strike water needs to be 156 to hit a mash temp of 148 for 2lbs/gal mash. Doesnt matter if you do 5 lbs, 20 or 200. If your grain is not 70F or you want to go higher or lower on the malt/water ratio use this calculator http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Enjoy, and cheers!
WhiskeyWheatSmall.JPG
Last edited by Jimbo on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Jimbo
retired

Re: 100% Malt All Grain Whiskey

Post by Jimbo »

Someone asked what the gypsum and backset is for.

Gypsum. This is mostly calcium. Yeast need minerals, they love calcium. It also helps drop the ph a bit. The enzymes that do the convertin in a mash need a ph in the 5.2-5.6 ph range. Water is around 7. BUT, malt will lower the ph some all by itself, how much?, impossible to say, it depends on the mineral makeup of your water. :crazy: Ya, its nuts.

Backset. Backset is sour (low ph), it helps lower the ph (see above). But honestly, for this recipe, the backset is optional, since its all malt and malt lowers the ph. In all malt AG, ph rarely needs adjusting. For bourbons a different story, since its mostly corn, and straight corn wont lower the ph like malt. This is why bourbons are traditionally done as sour mashes. Meaning, recycle some of the mash into the next batch to sour it up (lower the ph).
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

This is all good but answer me this question if you will.

No, since it is not to do with your recipe, but with your explanation of the use of backset, I'll ask it in a PM.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

haha. say somebody is making UJSSM, and with the amount of backset he's adding each gen (25%) he's too sour and has to buffer it back up again everty time. He wants to know if thats counterproductive or is there other reasons he should use that much backset, or should he use just enough to get his ph adjusted.

I know my answer, but Dunder, wanna take this one, since I dont do UJSSM's.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

When I first posted up this recipe I was debating simplifying it in a couple ways to make it more generic and scalable, but know many of you use kegs for your cookers and stills, so I left alone.

On more thought there's a couple things Im going to add that might help. If you do a 2 lbs per gallon mash, typical, and your grain is 70F, then the strike water needs to be 156 to hit a mash temp of 148. Doesnt matter if you do 5 lbs, 20 or 200. Also, I mash thicker and water down at ferment time, cause thats how much water fits in my cooker. Fine if you use kegs and do 40 lbs of grain, like that. But otherwise, you should just mash 2 lbs per gallon and be done with it, cool, pitch yeast. Simple. Ill go add them bits now.

I heard a funny quote on Drinking Made Easy TV show. "People make wort, yeast make beer". :)

Cheers.
mogogear
Novice

Post by mogogear »

Thanks for the extra details !! as I embark on more whisky this time of year - always looking to add to my recipe book...
Thanks,

Mo
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

As all always thanks for your all grain post. I sent you a pm on this post months ago for the reason you moved it.

It looks like you are putting 160 degree water on malt and not cooking it. correct? If so are you putting in 2-15.5g keggles while it is hot. I assume you move it to a plastic fermentation vessel (big old food safe trash can)? What do you use (PICS please)? You mentions stirring for ariation. Would a drill and paint stirrer be good? You mentioned you liked red wheat. Is this your favorite all grain receipt?

Sorry if I read it correctly and asked to obvious question but it seems to simple and I thought all grains had to be a pain and lots of work.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

haha were you baked when you wrote that half baked? funny. Anyway, ya, its my favorite, wheat malt makes a damn fine drop, and its the easiest too (all malt is easiest, doesnt matter if its wheat or barley)

Yes for the recipe as its written 160 is the strike temp (mash in water temperature) for 15 gallons of water in 20 lbs of malt. This recipe fills a keg cooker with strike water, and mashes 40 lbs of malt. Then water down to 23 gallons total in 40 lbs before fermenting. If you scale it or have a bigger cooker use 2 lbs per lb of malt as a general rule, and strike water is 156 for 148 mash temp. See calculator at bottom of recipe.

There's no cooking in all malt recipes. Just mash and pitch yeast.

No, all malt AG is not difficult at all. Do a mash gravity of 2lbs per gallon or thereabouts and mash in the 140's and you have a bucket of sweet maltose for yeast to eat.

Ill post pictures tonight of the 4 vessels used in this recipe. A 15.5g still, a 15.5g cooker and 2 18-20 gallon plastic fermenters (im not sure how big they are LOL)
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

HAHAHAHAHa are u suggesting something? I don't have a drinking problem.... I drink, I get drunk no problem......
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

na not suggesting anything LOL, I recognize inebriated writing cause. well... never mind.
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

Still no answer to the backset to drop pH then buffer to raise pH.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Right, was hoping a mentor would chime in who's familiar with UJSSM. I dont make the stuff so dont feel comfortable answering, altho I have an opinion, as usual, which I shared in PM :lol:

Mentors: See the question listed here. Any thoughts? http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6#p7069185
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

if PH is low then dont add so much backset,as simple as that.
some thank it adds flavor.but i never seen that.but it does lower the PH.
a low PH helps keep bacteria at bay and if you was using malted grain it helps the enzymes.
but not so much the yeast.
now for yeast a pH of 6 is good? as the wash ferments the pH will drop.if it drops to 4.5-5
its good. if you start with to low of pH then it can drop to low ,stalling or slow ferment.
as yeast like neutral(7) to slightly acid.so watch ferment,if you start with a pH of 6 and it drops
to 5? its ok but if it drops to 4.5 or below it will be slow or even stall.(at 4.2 it will kill the yeast)
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks Dunder! I suspected that was so, I use some backset to get my ph down for AG mashes, just wasnt sure if there was another good reason for it in UJSSM to comment on his question.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Im gonna toss this in here , since its my thread :P There is HEAPS of good info to be learned in the interviews with master distillers in Scotland in the episodes of singleMaltTV on youtube. This one is my favorite, its the smallest distillery in Scotland so the techniques start to resound with what we do here on the uber small home scale. I hope you enjoy as much I do, listen close, good applicable tips to us are everywhere. Skip the bullshit youtubes from home distillers and watch these from the masters. Then for the details read HD cover to cover. :) If you like this one, there are several from many different distilleries in Scotland. Cheers. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL66DCECCE3472189D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

This is another good one, Daftmill, tiny farm distillery. More good tips, like how the fruity estery notes are in the early heads so he takes short fores for only 5 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rinGNtpmFI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

OK. Thank you for clearing that up.
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

Watched those videos this morning. How good is that?

A couple of interesting things I noted was the different shapes of the strip still compared to the spirit still and also the amount that is taken out in the strip. He must take it right down low into the tails but I guess commercially you don't want to waste too much.

I can't say I like the idea of the Spirit Safe but had to laugh at the story of finding the grooved bolt and drilled nut. You can't trust anybody.

The other interesting thing to note was the variation in finishing with different barrels.

Thanks for putting up the link J!!

I've never heard of floating detergent on the ferment to prevent krausen bubble over. Liquid soap I think he called it.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

CuWhistle wrote:Watched those videos this morning. How good is that?

had to laugh at the story of finding the grooved bolt and drilled nut.

I've never heard of floating detergent on the ferment to prevent krausen bubble over. Liquid soap I think he called it.
Just for clarification for those who see that comment and dont watch the video. The distiller was not condoning the soap trick. He said 'in the old days... and shook his head and mumbled something about questionable ways back then. He added that nowadays, with a good consistency in the yeast, bubble overs are rarely an issue.

ya the drilled nut story, hilarious. Distillery workers prolly filling their flasks with white dog daily haha.

I liked the part about preferring brewers yeast over distillers yeast for the fruitier profile, but matters of availability from the brewer on a daily basis made it too risky to count on, no yeast and they're stuffed. Im partial to ale yeasts for whiskeys too.
mealstrom
Swill Maker

Post by mealstrom »

Great post Jimbo. I'm getting ready to do an all Barley run with the goal of producing a high-quality scotch, and it seems like I'd follow this same procedure.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

mealstrom wrote:Great post Jimbo. I'm getting ready to do an all Barley run with the goal of producing a high-quality scotch, and it seems like I'd follow this same procedure.
Great, should work out just fine for you mealstrom. Let us know how you do the smoked malt splits, and how it turns out.
okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by okie »

I'm glad to see the scotch lovers here. Like you, jimboy, I've been watching video's of Scottish distilleries and reading the web pages of them too. I took notes as to the way they each have a different mashing system, temperature and yeast. The amount of peat smoked malt too.

We definitely have to compare notes. I'm going to start with the malt and peated malt from my local brew store. I've done two using all 2 row and I'm finding the amount of peat is low in their malt so my next mash I'll try 40% smoked. If that doesn't do the job, I'll buy peat from Scotland and smoke my own. I'm a Highland Scotch fan and don't like a heavy peat scotch but the brew shop's smoked malt is very light flavored.
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Some interesting math. Curious how the rest of you 'typically' fair on AG whiskeys.

My all malt runs, like this recipe, 40 lbs in 20 gallons are 1.061, 8% finishing at 1.000. Theortical max is 2 gallons at 80%. I get 1.4 gallons at 67% AFTER cuts and losses. Which is 1.17 gallons at 80%. 1.17/2 = 59% "Keep' to Theoretical max.

Curious how this stacks up to others. Not that it changes anything, or means anythign really, or even that anyone should use that ratio to make cuts. Cuts should always be made to taste. Just curious.
mogogear
Novice

Post by mogogear »

Jim that is a good reference point that I will post when I do my next scotch batch in a few weeks. What was your grain bill? I Am in the middle of two bourbon runs and will strip the second next weekend.

Also how long did you mash to get to your sg?
Last edited by mogogear on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,

Mo
mogogear
Novice

Post by mogogear »

P.s. I plan on about 70 % heavy peat malt , 2 row and the balance of either 6 row or a unnamed 2 row yet to be chosen
Thanks,

Mo
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

Jimdo, last AG run I did, of 27kg malt, got me 5 imperial gallons at %25 on the strip.
I'm not sure what the volume of my take on the spirit run was, but I collected between around 75% and 60% (so I guess that's an average of 67%??), giving me a little over an imperial gallon of 50% finished product.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Jimbo because of your recents successes with the sugar head after your all grain run, do you see it happening after your next 100% single malts?????????
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

halfbaked wrote:Jimbo because of your recents successes with the sugar head after your all grain run, do you see it happening after your next 100% single malts?????????
Absolutely. Even using beer grains when done with those too. I just finished running the spirit run from the last bourbon gumballhead batch. I added the bourbon feints in and the feints from teh last gumball run. And the yield this time was insane. Got 6 quarts put up after watering down to 57% (was 78% keep cut) and 7 1/2 quarts feints at 72% for next go round. This time I added 13 lbs of IPA grains to the 50 lbs of malt and corn. I was stingy on the cuts this time, since I have some stock and in no need to maximize, and man this stuff is drinkable today as is, even before aging. I hope its not 'too' smooth after some months on oak. Had that happen too when puttin up straight hearts. Some heads and tails add character. Anyway, Im yammerin on...... short answer to your question. Yes.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Jimbo wrote:Some interesting math. Curious how the rest of you 'typically' fair on AG whiskeys.

My all malt runs, like this recipe, 40 lbs in 20 gallons are 1.061, 8% finishing at 1.000. Theortical max is 2 gallons at 80%. I get 1.4 gallons at 67% AFTER cuts and losses. Which is 1.17 gallons at 80%. 1.17/2 = 59% "Keep' to Theoretical max.

Curious how this stacks up to others. Not that it changes anything, or means anythign really, or even that anyone should use that ratio to make cuts. Cuts should always be made to taste. Just curious.
YIELD MATH: For what its worth, The math above is 3.4 lbs of grain per 80 proof fifth, for 100% malt. My last 2 batches of Bourbon took 4.0 and 4.3 lbs per 80 proof fifth. Lower yield no doubt due in part to the poor grind on cracked corn. Cost wise, its no contest with malt costing 4 times as much as feed corn.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I like stats. On your spirit run what did you get out of it. What I am askn is how many oz (aprx) on fores, heads, hearts and tails? If you don't watch it you will be down to less than a quarter a 1/5th that is if you are 4 lb per1/5. You know I was thinking about that wheat we talked about you would be about the same price for AG wheat if you malted it yourself as the sugar now. I'm just saying.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

haha, I havent tried malting anything yet, but always open for a new challenge.

Sorry baked I dont follow your question about down to less than a quarter?