Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe

Post by Deplorable »

cg81 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:59 pm
Deplorable wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:54 pm Thats correct. Take a small sample in a plastic cup, and add a drop of iodine in it if it disappears you have converted all starches. Black indicates starches still present.
thanks. and if starches are still present I just need to give it more time? I follow the recipe pretty close, i usually keep it at mash temp for like 1.5 hrs then start cooling, which takes hours. Would I check it before i start cooling it?
If starches are still present after 90 minutes at 145 to 150, you could add enzymes to help it finish. How old is the grain you're using?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:45 pm
cg81 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:59 pm
Deplorable wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:54 pm Thats correct. Take a small sample in a plastic cup, and add a drop of iodine in it if it disappears you have converted all starches. Black indicates starches still present.
thanks. and if starches are still present I just need to give it more time? I follow the recipe pretty close, i usually keep it at mash temp for like 1.5 hrs then start cooling, which takes hours. Would I check it before i start cooling it?
If starches are still present after 90 minutes at 145 to 150, you could add enzymes to help it finish. How old is the grain you're using?
The grain is a couple months old so pretty fresh? I got it from the local craft brewery.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

cg81,
Try this. Make a 1 or 2 gallon stove top mash using 2# of the grain to a gallon of water. It will be easier to monitor the progress of the conversion while you control the temperature. Ensure you have full conversion with iodine test. Crash the temp, and check you gravity. You should be 1.060 or in the close neighborhood. Check pH.
Follow every step closely and monitor your mini mash taking notes along the way. See what your mini mash finishes at, and check pH again at the end.

Its easier, (and cheaper) to troubleshoot on a small mash sample.
The recipe is so foolproof you should easily find out where you're falling short.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:18 am cg81,
Try this. Make a 1 or 2 gallon stove top mash using 2# of the grain to a gallon of water. It will be easier to monitor the progress of the conversion while you control the temperature. Ensure you have full conversion with iodine test. Crash the temp, and check you gravity. You should be 1.060 or in the close neighborhood. Check pH.
Follow every step closely and monitor your mini mash taking notes along the way. See what your mini mash finishes at, and check pH again at the end.

The recipe is so foolproof you should easily find out where you're falling short.
I'll give that a shot later or tomorrow. I've got to go get some iodine. Is it possible that its taking to long to cool and that could be doing something to it?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

No. But if you're worried about the length of time it takes to cool, build or buy a wort chiller. I can crash from 125°f to 68 if about 15 to 20 minutes with 20' of 1/2 inch copper coil.
Mash with half your water volume, then top off with cold water, and crash with a wort chiller.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable hows the new still run hows the product flavor
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:22 pm Deplorable hows the new still run hows the product flavor
Everything I've run off it is in a barrel.
I'll be running another 20+ gallons of my single malt this weekend. Should have some leftover after topping off the barrel to sip white. But its performed a damn sight better than on old "dual purpose" still.
Still haven't made the time to twist up a RC, and my collection of feints just keeps growing. So, as a pot still it kicks ass.
Over the holiday break I'm gonna mash up some wheated bourbon.
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

I had never thought about it but if the strike water is hotter than you need is there any issue other than wasting time and energy in hearing and waiting for it to cool? I do a lot of corn malt mixes and the corn has to be 180 for a while while the malt has to be lower or get denatured. I will often use enzymes at the end. Has anyone looked at how this will affect flavor? I have been using a digiboil for a while so i can hold the corn at over 180 then lower it to 155 before adding the other grains but i normally add it all at once and cook it together and then add enzymes (high temp) then add low temp in the fermenter once below 145 F
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:18 am cg81,

This is a great way to make a starter too a day or so before you do a large mash. Do the small batch on the stove maybe a bit less grain and cool/pitch one packet of rehydrated yeast. One or two days later when your large mash is ready you’ve got a nice sized yeast colony and just dump the starter into the large batch at pitch temp. I usually use premium beer yeasts so much more affordable to make a starter in my experience instead of five packets or whatever.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

I am going to try that too Jonny- thanks!I have been going through a lot of US-05. Been buying by the brick lately.
Stuart
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I have a chance to get wheat from farmer relations.
I am not ready for it yet, but, it is just off the stalk.

Is it better with some time?
I know we were suspicious of new batches of flour in the bakery and thought a bit of time made it better...

Geoff
The Baker
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

StuNY wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:33 am I am going to try that too Jonny- thanks!I have been going through a lot of US-05. Been buying by the brick lately.
Stuart
Thats got to be a tidy sum. Twisted Brick got me doing starters this way, and the last couple 23 gallon ferments were only 1 packet of yeast. To make your starter, make your starter mash using 1:1 grain to water. It'll finish in about 48 hours and be ready to inoculate your mash.
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:45 am
StuNY wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:33 am I am going to try that too Jonny- thanks!I have been going through a lot of US-05. Been buying by the brick lately.
Stuart
Thats got to be a tidy sum. Twisted Brick got me doing starters this way, and the last couple 23 gallon ferments were only 1 packet of yeast. To make your starter, make your starter mash using 1:1 grain to water. It'll finish in about 48 hours and be ready to inoculate your mash.
Great- thanks! Yeah I am going through 70 grams of purchased yeast each time for my 42 gallon (water) batch size so this will help a lot.
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

ok. so i just did a small batch of 1.5gal water, 4 lbs malt. i was going to save the last .5gal to chill. heated water/gypsum to 165. added malt, dropped to 150-155. left it, stirred every 20 min for the first hour. after about 45 min the temp had dropped to 140-145 so i heated it back up. it got back up to probably 155-160 before i turned off heat. let it sit again. its been 2 hours now and the iodine is still black. SG is 1065. wtf am i doing wrong. this foolproof recipe is making me quite the fool haha
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

is it possble that maybe its just the grain that i'm using?
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

Iodine is black black? like not even dark brown? Better try a new grain to rule that out- nothing else I can think of. Almost seems your grain is not even malted... You are using a basic 2-row or something right? Not caramelized etc.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I dont think your using malted barley at this point.
cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 »

this is what i'm using:
http://www.gambrinusmalting.com/gambrinus-wheat-malt

What about using pale malt?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

That should convert on its own. I don't have anything further to contribute unless your thermometer is off and you're overheating the mash and killing the enzymes.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

+1

I'd try it 5-10*F cooler in a test batch to see if you're denaturing the enzymes.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
————
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

I'm going to try to make a peated single malt this weekend.
I have:
27lbs of 2-row/pilsner blend
10 lbs of heavy peated malt
2 lb of honey malt
0.5 lb of crystal 60
0.5 lb of dark/chocolate malt
US-05 Yeast
Yeast nutrient (DAP)
Brewing salts

I'll mash and ferment on grain in my 32 gallon brute. I'll insulate the brute as well as I can and let it sit overnight, then pitch in morning. I'll have my fermentation chamber set to 68 F. Then when finished, press with wine press and let settle for a couple of days before I strip it.

Anyone see any issues with that?
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I find using a wine press a little unwieldy and opt to squeeze a paint strainer bag - just easier for me with both options available... Interested to see what you think of the specialty blend and the peat.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
————
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

I'm used to the wine press, I do a few hundred pounds of grapes in it a year, so for me it is familiar.
But yes, getting it down from the rafters in the garage is a bit of a pain.
---
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

GreenEnvy22 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:32 am I'm going to try to make a peated single malt this weekend.
I have:
27lbs of 2-row/pilsner blend
10 lbs of heavy peated malt
2 lb of honey malt
0.5 lb of crystal 60
0.5 lb of dark/chocolate malt
US-05 Yeast
Yeast nutrient (DAP)
Brewing salts

I'll mash and ferment on grain in my 32 gallon brute. I'll insulate the brute as well as I can and let it sit overnight, then pitch in morning. I'll have my fermentation chamber set to 68 F. Then when finished, press with wine press and let settle for a couple of days before I strip it.

Anyone see any issues with that?
A lot of flavors in there! I do a lot of batches with heavy peated malt mixed with various other base malts and always like the flavors- some of my favorites. I also have started using crystal and chocolate malts in batches with base malts and like those too... but in a different way- especially after aging. Have you used any of these in batches before? It may be tricky to finesse out exactly which parts contributed to the flavors. Also, I don't us DAP with malted barley, just some gypsum and pinch of mag per the original recipe here. I do use it with sugar washes though FWIW.

If you have worked these ingredients before then go for it- should be tasty. But if you haven't I would recommend doing the 2-row, peated and maybe even the honey first. Then do a version with crystal and chocolate. You can always mix them later after aging but at least you will have a good sense for which parts are adding to the flavors you like.

Good luck!
Stuart
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

I've used them all before making beer, but haven't used the crystal or chocolate malt with whiskey.
I was hoping to get a little bit of flavor from them, but with such low amounts, not enough to cause an issue even if they don't impart ideal flavors.
---
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

Yeah, probably won't hurt anything at those %, I have been using them at 5% each and you really do get flavors from them- not in the way they add flavor to beer though. Let us know how it comes out! And try not to sample it for at least 6 months on oak, but ideally 9-12. It will really change along the way! (12+ is probably even better but I will never know haha!)
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

GreenEnvy22 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:57 pm I'm used to the wine press, I do a few hundred pounds of grapes in it a year, so for me it is familiar.
But yes, getting it down from the rafters in the garage is a bit of a pain.
Hang it from an 'endless chain' ?

Geoff
The Baker
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

Sipping a glass of Jimbo's Single Malt now that I managed to age a year before drinking. Pretty rare for me as I usually only make it to 6 months! No surprise that many more complex flavors have developed and it has changed quite a bit from when I gave it a taste 6 months ago. Smoother for sure, but also getting actual flavor notes (citrus, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, raison) that I don't remember from the past. The key (for me) is making big batches and lots of them. That way I always have something when I want a drink but never get through the stock of the older stuff.

Todays glass is 2/3 Golden promise and 1/3 Heavy Peated barleys. US-05 yeast.

Haven't seen Jimbo post around here for quite a while but if you ever check in I am forever grateful for your contribution here! Always include the "Jimbo's" on my labels to remind me where it came from!
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

So I got this mashing today. Tweaked my earlier plan a tiny bit:

27 Lbs 2-row/pilsner blend (2/3 pilsner I think)
10 lbs heavy peated malt
2 Lbs honey malt
9 oz Crystal 60 malt
9 oz Dark chocolate malt
2 tsp amalyze
3 tsp burtons water salts
15 gallons RO water

15 gallons water becomes very close to 16 gallons once heated up :) my Kettle just barely held it without overflowing. It's all in the brute now. Temperature was almost exactly bang on, 147F.
IMG_20201218_164237.jpg
---
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

Oh, my garage now has just the most lovely peaty smell.
Love it!
---