Lets get carried away with fruity goodness

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: Lets get carried away with fruity goodness

Post by cranky »

Today I processed the wormy apples. I had about 5.5 buckets of them and got around 9.75ish gallons of juice, which by my calculations is right at 13lbs to a gallon.

I had decided to bring two carboys to catch the juice in which worked real well since with the press adjusted for 3 bags it was the perfect height for a carboy with a funnel. The problem was I didn't want to put more than 4 gallons in each carboy. Fortunately I have been salvaging bottles out of the bottle dumpster and hadn't taken them out of my truck so I grabbed some of those and filled them up.
APPLES 08 NOV 21 #4A - C.jpg
The carboy on the left is filled with unpressed juice...I guess if I used olive oil standards I would call that extra extra virgin juice juice. The one on the right is first pressing, I guess that is extra virgin and the bottles are 2nd pressing which I think counts as just plain old virgin. I have to wonder about the people who came up with 3 levels of virginity :problem:

All those bottles except one are one liter. One of these days I'm going to make a post about the different bottles I find. Some are very cool and quite unique.

Flavor wise this is a fantastic mix and I think it will make a fine brandy even though it won't be a huge amount of it.
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

Two weeks ago I processed my apples. My first time doing apples after such a long time thinking about it!

I had 100 kg (220lbs) of "court-pendu" apples, organic apples used as a fertilisation apple tree. According to the farmer a very good hard cider apple. He sold the apples for a fair price.
20211023_162103.jpg
I used for the first time my brand new, home made press. I could lend the grinder of my brother's best friend. I squeezed 42L out of the 100kgs, a bit low if I compare the yields I had with my brother's food processor a few weeks earlier (8.5L out of 16kg). But I believe the grinder doesn't grind as it should be, leaving too big chunks of apples in my bucket. I plan to make one similar to the Ese-018 out of my grinding wheel's electrical motor.
Anyway I had what I had and I'm thankful I had one instead of zero 'cause my apples started to rot in the basement. And there was no way I could be ready before they all went bad.
20211030_133143(2).jpg
A video of my press in action: https://youtu.be/VlZJcUGJKRA
My press worked well, but I have to make some improvements as it is a bit light for the 10 tons bottle jack. I had no bags so I used my basket and a nettle cloth. After a few trials I just used my basket and it worked just fine. It's made out of a perforated plate and the holes are thin enough.
20211019_161436.jpg
I added the defrosted 8.5L I spoke about, used EC-1118 and the fermentation started perfectly at SG 1.051. The smell is terrific!
I plan to distil between Christmas and new years eve.

For my elderberries I made a big mistake! I poured my berries straight from the freezer into the press basket. I thought it would be okay as the berries tend to thaw very quickly and I thought that the pressure would help. But I ended with a big 15kg block of ice! We had to visit friends in the evening for our cards game evening. So I poured boiling water to defrost this huge ice cube and eventually killed the EC-1118 I added to the juice. Not the best way to go. "Haast en spoed is zelden goed!" (Hurry and rush is rarely good). Lesson learned for next year...
I added my (defrosted!) rowan berries and red berries to the elder's juice + 1kg of cane sugar (those berries have a very low content of sugar). I have now 25L fermenting (didn't took the SG) with a great smell of red wine.

Hopefully all this work will give a fine drop!
Last edited by Fredistiller on Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Fredistiller, where did you get your basket at?
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

Bushman wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:28 pm Fredistiller, where did you get your basket at?
It's self designed and made. The inside is made of bended perforated plate. The "support" is made out SS plate 2mm thick. Laser cut, bended and welded.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I like your press. The springs to reset the jack are a nice touch for usability. Don't hurry too much to distill. Calvados is distilled only after the cider has sat on the lees for up to 6 months.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

NormandieStill wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:31 pm I like your press. The springs to reset the jack are a nice touch for usability. Don't hurry too much to distill. Calvados is distilled only after the cider has sat on the lees for up to 6 months.
I remembered a member of the forum saying it's a pita to reset the jack everytime, I searched for a solution and kinda copied the springs idea from a video on youtube.

I visited a distillery last year in Normandy, and as you say they wait up to 6 month before distilling. Where am I going to find this patience??? :D
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Fredistiller wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:46 pm I visited a distillery last year in Normandy, and as you say they wait up to 6 month before distilling. Where am I going to find this patience??? :D
Not sure what your free space is like, but More Fermenters (tm) is probably one of the better solutions. A lack of fermenting space and fermenters (as well as the cost of buying the juice as I don't have the time to build a scratter and press right now) is what's holding me back from a 50L cider ferment.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Bushman wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:11 am

So, does the ESE-018 get jammed much? And if so, how hard is it to clear? Never had it Jam and I have produced 173 gallons of cider thus far this year.
Got back from a backcountry road trip/adventure and my new ESE-018 scratter was waiting for me. I had a few Golden Delicious still on the trees and quickly picked 'em. Holy crap, that thing just gobbles apples! You really can't feed 'em fast enough! The grind is perfect and makes it super easy to squeeze the pommace dry without pressing all that hard. We pressed up 5 gallons of juice lickety-split.

It is well built and easy to clean. Double action safety switch. Quiet. Perfect grind. Cranky, do whatever you gotta do to get ones of these. Anything that won't make Mrs Cranky get off the bus anyway. Like the commercial said "because I'm worth it".

Gonna see what I can do about finding a few hundred pounds more apples...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

stillanoob wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:50 am
Bushman wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:11 am

So, does the ESE-018 get jammed much? And if so, how hard is it to clear? Never had it Jam and I have produced 173 gallons of cider thus far this year.
Got back from a backcountry road trip/adventure and my new ESE-018 scratter was waiting for me. I had a few Golden Delicious still on the trees and quickly picked 'em. Holy crap, that thing just gobbles apples! You really can't feed 'em fast enough! The grind is perfect and makes it super easy to squeeze the pommace dry without pressing all that hard. We pressed up 5 gallons of juice lickety-split.

It is well built and easy to clean. Double action safety switch. Quiet. Perfect grind. Cranky, do whatever you gotta do to get ones of these. Anything that won't make Mrs Cranky get off the bus anyway. Like the commercial said "because I'm worth it".

Gonna see what I can do about finding a few hundred pounds more apples...
Everything I told you about it, in my opinion easily worth the price when you compare it with the more expensive industry grinders. Glad you like it, I have made over 170 gallons this year and probably had to cut a dozen or so large apples to feed it.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

So, most of you now know why my time and money have been going to other things than distilling lately but as I posted in the good deals thread the other day I was at the farm market and they had free pumpkins. They also told me I could have all they had, which was probably 1,000 lbs or more but Mrs Cranky said I could only have one.

Tomorrow is Mrs Cranky's birthday and she wants pumpkin pie instead of birthday cake so we also bought 3 sugar pumpkins.

Today we are roasting the sugar pumpkins in preparation for making pie filling so I went ahead and roasted the free pumpkin as well. Once they were done I took a sample of the juice that dripped down into the pan from the pumpkins, let it cool and checked it with my refractometer. The sugar pumpkins tested a pretty respectable 15 brix but to my surprise the free pumpkin actually tested 21 brix. It tastes considerably sweeter as well.

I know people say pumpkins don't have much sugar in them but this juice certainly does. Now I kind of wish I had taken all of them just so I could play around fermenting and making brandy out of them.
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

I'm truly curious about the taste of pumpkin brandy!!!
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Fredistiller wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:45 pm I'm truly curious about the taste of pumpkin brandy!!!
I'm not. Whilst I have grown to like it, I can't help but think about it in the same way I would think about brussel sprout brandy!
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:17 am
Fredistiller wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:45 pm I'm truly curious about the taste of pumpkin brandy!!!
I'm not. Whilst I have grown to like it, I can't help but think about it in the same way I would think about brussel sprout brandy!
Ha ha :lol: My brussel sprout gin is something that I would only let an enthusiastic, dedicated, alcoholic try. I doubt a well made pumpkin brandy would be worse.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

NZChris wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:42 pm
CoogeeBoy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:17 am
Ha ha :lol: My brussel sprout gin is something that I would only let an enthusiastic, dedicated, alcoholic try. I doubt a well made pumpkin brandy would be worse.
I am not in the least bit surprised it was you that would have made it! The true craftsman!
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

I distilled my first apple spirit!

I let the juice to ferment for 2 months, I know it's better to wait longer, but I had some free days and needed some space in the basement.
The hard cider had a very pleasant smell, fruity and fresh. It tasted also very fruity and bit tart. The first run of 36L of hard cider at 5abv gave me 10L of lowwines at 25 abv.
For the spirit run I took a safe amount of fores, dripping slowly. Then I cranked the fire a bit more and followed the advices of Cranky and others of the forum and hunted the fruit stuff hidden in the heads. Indeed it comes very early, the first jar was clearly full of heads but I collected the head/hearts portions in small jars, I'll decided what to keep or dump in the feints jar while blending. The hearts were "good right out of the still", no burning and with a nice apple-skin smell. The tails were quite easy to detect and arrived almost at once. I saved a jar with a nose a bit tailsy but with a great aftertaste. I'm curious about the results of the blending this weekend.
And then, the most difficult part: waiting!

My berry wash is still fermenting until I have more free time next month or so...

Cheers guys!
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

While I have only 4 runs of apple under my belt, I have been very lucky to have had a friend help. He makes spirits for a living and has for many years. His apple brandy is the best I have ever had. He has a lot in barrels that he is planning on releasing soon and man is it good! Anyway...

To him (he trained in Cognac) there are heads, hearts and tails. He does not use the term "foreshot". He sniffs as it comes out in very small quantities with a clean glass every time. He says the first part "smells too good to be true" and discards that. Having worked with him I think this is the ethyl acetate. Very fruity, green apple candy kind of smell. You get some of that in whisky too. Once that passes he collects it all until the tails start to show up. He said another old test was the "three pearls" test. Collect 20-30mL in a brandy type glass and swizzle it. If three largish bubbles (pearls) form and hold that it is time to stop collecting hearts and that he stops just before that. This is way more of what we here call the heads than most would collect. When the cut is all mixed together I admit it is rough. However, time on oak and magic happens.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I'm glad to hear you guys have had success :D

and I'd like to mention my canned apple experiment.

Back in July I did an all feints run of the apple with careful cuts that yielded 1/2 gallon. I always like the results from the apple feints runs. For the most part hearts had already been removed and what was left was heads and tails. I placed it in the attic with a very used stick of oak and when I got Christmas stuff down tried it. I have to say that half gallon is already something special, certainly a lot more special that the other 2.5 gallons I got from all that juice, not that I think there is anything wrong with the rest of it but that half gallon is special. I credit the Ciderhouse yeast. I'm definite going to try that yeast on fresh pressed juice one of these years.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Good to see you here in this thread, Cranky. Hope Mrs Cranky's Doc gets over his cold soon.

Is this the yeast you mean?

https://www.homebrewing.org/Cider-House ... _5043.html
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

stillanoob wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:56 pm Good to see you here in this thread, Cranky. Hope Mrs Cranky's Doc gets over his cold soon.

Is this the yeast you mean?

https://www.homebrewing.org/Cider-House ... _5043.html
Thank you. I'm around most days, at least for a bit here and there.

Yes that is the yeast. I got the best results I've ever had from store bought juice with that yeast although cuts are quite difficult. It's kind of pricey too but probably worth the price...especially if the juice is free.
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

Thanks for your share Stillanoob!
All the distilleries I visited in France (cognac-calvados) talk about heads hearts and tails. They never use something as foreshots. I believe it's because they are used to age for a very long time that they make large cuts...or they have to age for so long because they make so large cuts! I spoke with a young guy in the region of cognac. He makes cognac with his father and grand father for a big brand. But he started his own production in small barrels with shorter cuts. And what he makes is amazing! So yes making the right cuts for your spirit is truly an art....
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

I see you guys speaking about yeast. Cranky, I've read that, as other members,you say that you don't get good results with wild yeast. But I've never seen why or what you mean by good results. A bad taste? Difficult cuts?
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Fred, about the cuts. He is very insistent about cutting off the tails. And perhaps I made it sound like he takes more of the heads than he does. The main point being that a lot of the good apple flavor is in the heads and the art is definitely about making the heads side of the cut. The tails are easier to spot.

As to wild yeast. The first time I did a natural ferment it was fantastic. I thought this is great, do it old school! Then the next two times it was awful. In places that have ancient orchards where there is a good strain of yeast present in abundance it works out very well to go wild. Since I tend to large batches and generally have one shot for the year I just don't like to risk it. In fact, I dunk the apples in an idophor solution as part of the cleaning process. This seems to really help keeping infections at bay. Since I do long cold ferments and much of my product is drank as hard cider I find sanitation important. I am very sensitive and picky about off flavors from almost (to most people) undetectable infections. I like my hard cider clear and clean. I also believe that the best brandy is made from hard cider that you would love to drink so I do the same for the brandy cider.

Cranky, I will order some of that yeast for this year. Such a pain that you can't buy the good yeasts in bulk. I have done EC-1118 for the last two years and while it is OK, I think that Mangrove Jack cider yeast is better, It will be fun to try a new one this year. At that price I'll be making a starter a week or two before for sure.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Fredistiller wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:12 am I see you guys speaking about yeast. Cranky, I've read that, as other members,you say that you don't get good results with wild yeast. But I've never seen why or what you mean by good results. A bad taste? Difficult cuts?
As stillanoob pointed out wild yeast is a crap shoot. We have a couple members that in the past have taken issue with me on that statement but it's true. When your trees are randomly dispersed throughout the countryside the yeast is too so you never know what you will get. My past wild yeast ferments produced mediocre cider and brandy and I like to know what my results will be because a lot of time and work, or a lot of money, goes into apple brandy and I only get one shot at it.
stillanoob wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:09 am Cranky, I will order some of that yeast for this year. Such a pain that you can't buy the good yeasts in bulk. I have done EC-1118 for the last two years and while it is OK, I think that Mangrove Jack cider yeast is better, It will be fun to try a new one this year. At that price I'll be making a starter a week or two before for sure.
I haven't tried Mangrove Jack yeast yet but might next year. Last year because of cost I had to make a starter from the Ciderhouse and basically did a stepped ferment which worked out well.

I always recommend 1118 for beginners with apple because cuts are very easy with it. Other yeast that add flavor can make cuts really difficult. The Ciderhouse made cuts quite difficult, particularly the tails cut. It drew flavor out much longer than other yeast I've used but the results are very nice so far.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

cranky wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:34 am
I always recommend 1118 for beginners with apple because cuts are very easy with it. Other yeast that add flavor can make cuts really difficult. The Ciderhouse made cuts quite difficult, particularly the tails cut. It drew flavor out much longer than other yeast I've used but the results are very nice so far.
It shows that I am still a noob in that I never thought of the yeast affecting how easy/difficult cuts are. I started using the EC-1118 because my friend that I referenced above does for his commercial product. I figured he did that because you can obtain it in bulk. I wonder now if he does it because the cuts are easier. I'll ask.

I have always felt the EC-1118 to be a little bland and that it ferments away more of the apple flavor. I meant to get some Mangrove Jack this year but lost my round tuit. Again! This year I'll try the Ciderhouse, at least for the drinking cider. Now you have me worried about trying it for the brandy cider, still being a noob I don't need the difficult and fraught task of making cuts any harder. Me and my buddy agonize over it as it is!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

stillanoob wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:25 am
cranky wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:34 am
It shows that I am still a noob in that I never thought of the yeast affecting how easy/difficult cuts are. I started using the EC-1118 because my friend that I referenced above does for his commercial product. I figured he did that because you can obtain it in bulk. I wonder now if he does it because the cuts are easier. I'll ask.

I have always felt the EC-1118 to be a little bland and that it ferments away more of the apple flavor. I meant to get some Mangrove Jack this year but lost my round tuit. Again! This year I'll try the Ciderhouse, at least for the drinking cider. Now you have me worried about trying it for the brandy cider, still being a noob I don't need the difficult and fraught task of making cuts any harder. Me and my buddy agonize over it as it is!
Fortunately with apple brandy you can get sloppy with cuts and still be OK.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Lets get carried away with fruity goodness

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Attention all Antipodeans,
Anyone ever fermented any Lilli Pilli?
Am about to try it. I see it is used in some gins here so am going to see what happens when it is fermented but any previous experience would be welcome.
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:51 pm
ever fermented any Lilli Pilli

the lilli pilli (Syzygium) I know would not have any fermentable sugar.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:42 pm
CoogeeBoy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:51 pm
ever fermented any Lilli Pilli

the lilli pilli (Syzygium) I know would not have any fermentable sugar.
Oh, thank you for that.
I thought that they make jam from it so it should have some.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

People add a shit load of sugar to Fruit when they make Jam Coog.
I spent some time looking for Lilly Pilly Wine recipes on line ,,,,,seems no one makes it so that could tell a story.
Maybe you will have better luck.
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:26 pm
they make jam

like raspberries consider your lilly pilly for infusion or for sweetness plant jaboticaba and wait ten years...
and davidson plum are so awful not even our neighbourhood possum will eat them… possum rips the fruit to eat the seeds.