Lets get carried away with fruity goodness

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Lets get carried away with fruity goodness

Post by stillanoob »

subbrew wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:59 pm I am zone 5. So plenty of chill hours. Summers do get hot but rarely to100.
Lucky man. A lot of choices open to you. I will admit to some envy as my choices are more limited. Take a cruise through the orangepippin catalog and come back here with what appeals to you. Maybe I can vicariously enjoy your zone!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I choose my fruit trees by seeing what's 75% off at lowe's when they mark them down :roll:
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

I'm trying to sprout some apricot pits now from some extremely good fruit that I purchased from a roadside stand last week. I've cracked the pits and have them in zip lock bag with a damp paper towel in the refrigerator. I've been told it could take 2-4 months

At $50 each at lowes for stone fruit trees, I think I will make an effort to see if I can grow an orchard from the seeds.

The cuttings from my grape vines (zinfandel & thompson) this year seem to be doing well. Maybe 12 of 15 planted look like they will survive. A few have made it to the top wire of my trellis. I have 50 zinfandel vines that are between 2 and 4 years old and this looks to be the first good harvest, as the vines are already getting heavy.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Zach, I am lucky I have friends with orchards. Sometimes I wish I had more land to grow fruit trees.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

zach wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:35 am I'm trying to sprout some apricot pits now from some extremely good fruit that I purchased from a roadside stand last week. I've cracked the pits and have them in zip lock bag with a damp paper towel in the refrigerator. I've been told it could take 2-4 months

At $50 each at lowes for stone fruit trees, I think I will make an effort to see if I can grow an orchard from the seeds.

The cuttings from my grape vines (zinfandel & thompson) this year seem to be doing well. Maybe 12 of 15 planted look like they will survive. A few have made it to the top wire of my trellis. I have 50 zinfandel vines that are between 2 and 4 years old and this looks to be the first good harvest, as the vines are already getting heavy.
Wow. I applaud your efforts. Wish I have a place to grow some fruit trees. Be interesting to see how it turns out. Sounds like you'll have some nice grapes too.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Wildcats wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:26 pm Wish I have a place to grow some fruit trees. Be interesting to see how it turns out. Sounds like you'll have some nice grapes too.
Be careful what you wish for. I have spent thousands of dollars on fruit trees over the last 40 years. I could have bought a lot of fruit for what I have spent. And after buying the trees there is the care, sprays, pruning, etc. My area has peach bore and fireblight is bad, so every so often I lose a tree and have to replace it. Of course you also need to stay put. I have planted 4 small orchards but I have also moved about every 8 years, just about the time they get big enough to produce I have moved for one reason or another. Hopefully my 4th is my last as I am running out of time. At least one year in my life I would like to be able to look at my reserves and see canned pears, apples, peaches, apricots and plums as well as a few bottles of wine all made with fruit I have grown.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

subbrew wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:50 am
Wildcats wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:26 pm Wish I have a place to grow some fruit trees. Be interesting to see how it turns out. Sounds like you'll have some nice grapes too.
Be careful what you wish for. I have spent thousands of dollars on fruit trees over the last 40 years. I could have bought a lot of fruit for what I have spent. And after buying the trees there is the care, sprays, pruning, etc. My area has peach bore and fireblight is bad, so every so often I lose a tree and have to replace it. Of course you also need to stay put. I have planted 4 small orchards but I have also moved about every 8 years, just about the time they get big enough to produce I have moved for one reason or another. Hopefully my 4th is my last as I am running out of time. At least one year in my life I would like to be able to look at my reserves and see canned pears, apples, peaches, apricots and plums as well as a few bottles of wine all made with fruit I have grown.
Yeah I see what you mean. I rent so it would be impractical for me to plant fruit trees. I as well would love to be able to look at all the canned goods and wine from my home grown fruit. Maybe at some point I'll be able to get a place and plant some. Thank you for your response and perspective sir. Have fun and stay safe.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Welp, guess I am going to try triple distilling apple brandy...

I got back from a month long road trip to Alaska a couple of weeks ago. 7,749.2 miles. I had stripped last year's cider before I left and yesterday did the spirit run. I suffered a rectocranial inversion and when using the product dilute calculator forgot to change the desired ABV to 65%, my preferred cask strength. So with my head where the sun don't shine I merrily added enough water to bring it down to 40%. Crap. So I added what was left in the still (luckily I hadn't tossed it yet) back into the diluted make and I'll run it next week.

What a maroon. On the good side, the stuff from the year before in a Badmo (RIP Ben) is shaping up nicely. I had a sample and toasted Ben.
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

The power of this tree compels me.
Attachments
20230819_105942_copy_567x1008.jpg
20230819_093636_copy_567x1008.jpg
20230819_092754_copy_1008x567.jpg
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

😲 wow that tree is loaded. Surprised it hasn't started breaking limbs yet. Look like it's gonna be a lot of work. But I'm sure the end results will be more than worth it.
Ratbastrd
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ratbastrd »

Strange harvest in Sonoma county this year. We had late frost and rain, which held bud break back till nearly May. Peaches and Plums were almost completely lost due to leaf curl. Apples faired better, but was really hit or miss. I glean from abandoned orchards and our property, so I cant be picky.

250lbs of apples. Several varieties in here, mostly Gravenstein, Gala, Honeycrisp, with a smaller pink fruit apple, I'd never seen before. No one knows what it is. That pressed down to 36gals of ferment. Using D47 & 1118 this year. No PS, or other additives. Just fruit and yeast. I like what I taste so far. Pears are just monstrous and prolific. Expecting a good harvest on pears.
20230820_124422 (1).jpg
20230902_150342 (1).jpg
20230902_150227 (1).jpg
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

You must have had more than 250 lb of apples if you got 36 gallons of juice. At 8 lb per gallon, just the juice is 288 lb.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I'm having a bit of a predicament :problem: I was cleaning my garage trying to get it ready for Mrs Cranky to park the car in on her birthday...I don't know why she thinks it's a good idea to park a car in a garage but every year I attempt to clean it enough for her to do that. Her birthday is only 67 days away so I doubt I have enough time to get it done but I'm trying.

Anyway, while attempting to work my way through the east tunnel I came across 10 gallons of cider still in carboys, that I never got around to running :roll: then I also found 29 champagne bottles of hard cider that I apparently forgot about last year...and here I thought I had drank it, used it all or given it away.

Now, the thing is I also have at least one run of apple low wines sitting on a shelf waiting for me to get enough to do a spirit run.

On top of that I've started picking my front yard apple bush. So far I've picked a bucket of apples. there is at least another bucket of them still on the tree, possibly two...

So... :think: Now I'm getting the overpowering urge to see if I can get enough apple juice to get to a spirit run. Since I already have one run of low wines and 15-16 gallons of cider counting the 10 in carboys and the 29 bottles, so...13 gallons per run leaves me needing 11 gallons of juice. That's only 150-160 lbs of apples, which is only 7ish buckets :problem: With 2 or 3 buckets off my front yard tree that only leaves 4 or 5 buckets to get enough for a run.

That's like 15 minutes of picking at the most! In truth it would take longer to get the chopper and press cleaned and ready than that but I can take all the stuff to work and just maybe find the time there to do it, or just hang around for an hour after work and do it, or even do it at home and fix my press or just use the old small one, either way it wouldn't take too long.

I've also been offered pretty much all the grapes I could handle if I can find the time to go pick them...which I can't :(
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You have problems that some of us would love to have.

Personally, I would go for the grapes as they are the easiest to process, my still can strip any volume I'm ever likely to score and I use them for a variety of products, not just brandy. My grape crop was so small last season that none was used for alcohol. :esad:

As usual, all of the fantastic grape crops I get offered for free by friends were unprotected from birds. I would have to spend a lot of time and money on netting, fuel, pruning and travel to be able to harvest any of them.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

cranky wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:15 pm I'm having a bit of a predicament :problem: I was cleaning my garage trying to get it ready for Mrs Cranky to park the car in on her birthday...I don't know why she thinks it's a good idea to park a car in a garage but every year I attempt to clean it enough for her to do that. Her birthday is only 67 days away so I doubt I have enough time to get it done but I'm trying.

Anyway, while attempting to work my way through the east tunnel I came across 10 gallons of cider still in carboys, that I never got around to running :roll: then I also found 29 champagne bottles of hard cider that I apparently forgot about last year...and here I thought I had drank it, used it all or given it away.

Now, the thing is I also have at least one run of apple low wines sitting on a shelf waiting for me to get enough to do a spirit run.

On top of that I've started picking my front yard apple bush. So far I've picked a bucket of apples. there is at least another bucket of them still on the tree, possibly two...

So... :think: Now I'm getting the overpowering urge to see if I can get enough apple juice to get to a spirit run. Since I already have one run of low wines and 15-16 gallons of cider counting the 10 in carboys and the 29 bottles, so...13 gallons per run leaves me needing 11 gallons of juice. That's only 150-160 lbs of apples, which is only 7ish buckets :problem: With 2 or 3 buckets off my front yard tree that only leaves 4 or 5 buckets to get enough for a run.

That's like 15 minutes of picking at the most! In truth it would take longer to get the chopper and press cleaned and ready than that but I can take all the stuff to work and just maybe find the time there to do it, or just hang around for an hour after work and do it, or even do it at home and fix my press or just use the old small one, either way it wouldn't take too long.

I've also been offered pretty much all the grapes I could handle if I can find the time to go pick them...which I can't :(
Every time I hear about you trying to make your way through the east tunnel it makes me smile. I have a similar situation in my basement. Just two paths through all the junk.
Nice find on the 10 gal of cider. And what a great opportunity to get all those grapes. Just got to find time to pick em now. Looking forward to hearing back about what you do with the cider and grapes if you get em.
Good luck with the east tunnel... 😂
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Need to actually weigh a couple of bags to be sure of the final count, but this morning we collected somewhere around 600kg of apples (free ones... you know, the right ones). Pressing in a few weeks time if all goes well.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

NormandieStill wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:54 am Need to actually weigh a couple of bags to be sure of the final count, but this morning we collected somewhere around 600kg of apples (free ones... you know, the right ones). Pressing in a few weeks time if all goes well.
I'm getting nagged to make cider again this year, after a bit of a gap from it.
I've got literally everything (Including endless free apples, the only ones I'll use!) I need to make it, except the time, so reading your post I'm envious.
Maybe I'll get a surprise day off work or something...
Make Booze, not War!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Time is my real problem. The free grapes would take me 30-45 minutes driving time each way, figure an hour to pick...maybe more and I don't have that kind of free time. I wish I did.

Apples on the other hand, they are right on my way home. I can stop for 10 minutes each day and have 200-300 Lbs before the weekend and not really get behind on anything else.

As a matter of fact, Sunday I simply pulled into a gravel area on the side of the road, made a quick lap around a tree, I've never even noticed before 2 weeks ago, picked just the low hanging apples and got at least a bucket, maybe a bucket and a half. I was using a bag and not a bucket so not positive, but they are big apples and I picked 110. If I stop with a picking pole I could easily get 300-400 lbs by the weekend.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

It is apple season. :D Picked 13 buckets last night from a Craigslist place. Hope to pick another 13 tonight, Thursday night and Friday night. Then Saturday afternoon we will press. Friends will bring over more apples. We will drink some cider, apple wine, and apple brandy from last season, which was two years ago since last year had no apples here. The brandy is still too young but perhaps we will add it to some fresh pressed cider. Later on we will have a big meal and enjoy some company. Nights are getting cool so perhaps a big bonfire is in order.

If you are in the noco area and have apples you want to press DM me.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Apple season is here. Iv started my collection. Still lots more to gather.
20230920_161950~2.jpg
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Looking forward to getting some pears in the next few days. One of my coworkers has a tree that he said is loaded. Hope to make some brandy. If I don't get enough for Brandy. I'll make some wine..
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Wildcats wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:55 pm Looking forward to getting some pears in the next few days. One of my coworkers has a tree that he said is loaded. Hope to make some brandy. If I don't get enough for Brandy. I'll make some wine..
I think you can also use a mixture of apples and pears for brandy.
If you don't have enough pears to use alone....
Geoff
The Baker
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Wildcats wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:55 pm Looking forward to getting some pears in the next few days. One of my coworkers has a tree that he said is loaded. Hope to make some brandy. If I don't get enough for Brandy. I'll make some wine..
I was supposed to get a bunch of pears of a huge tree that's loaded up,But....this lady turned into a Karen and the deal fell through.
Iv never tried a pear brandy yet.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

The Baker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:08 pm
I think you can also use a mixture of apples and pears for brandy.
If you don't have enough pears to use alone....
Geoff
I'm sure your correct. Someone on here also told me you can make both and blend them together to create a unique taste. My quest for pears hasn't been very successful 🍻
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

I don't have a press of any kind. I guess I can just try to use the two pot method to press the Pears. I do have some EC 1118 yeast. Looking forward to seeing what I can come up with.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Today the guy that offered me the grapes showed up at work with 50 lbs of my favorite kind of grapes...

Free grapes, someone else has picked :ebiggrin: Now I have to do something with them before they go bad :problem:

I guess that old procrastinator motto is true..."If you put off something long enough it either becomes unnecessary, impossible or someone else does it."
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Wow, that is a great score.

Unfortunately, the guy with the most free grapes to offer me is unlikely to do anything to save them from the birds, let alone pick them for me. They are very nice grapes and would make a great brandy, but the cost and trouble of netting and pruning them and the petrol and travel before harvest puts me off. I'm still considering it, as my grape crop was pathetic last season. I've ripped some out and planted a new variety.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

This is about 2/3 of what we pressed on Saturday. Ended up with about 80 gallons of cider.
20230922_073321.jpg
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

Wow, what a load.... Hope you had some help. I'm getting to the point where I'm passing on grapes that require much of drive as I already put away 30 gallons of wine and 5 gallons of brandy for the season.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

zach wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:44 am Wow, what a load.... Hope you had some help. I'm getting to the point where I'm passing on grapes that require much of drive as I already put away 30 gallons of wine and 5 gallons of brandy for the season.
Yes, we had 3 additional families over. For 4 days before pressing I picked 13 - 5 gal buckets of apples each night. The trailer has 39 buckets in it. One of the other families brought over about 6 buckets and another brought about 10 buckets worth. We were about 5 1/2 hours pressing.

Pretty efficient, we had 4 to 6 people cleaning, washing and rinsing apples, and cutting out large bad spots. Then three or 4 running the crusher and press. And one guy that would take the tractor to empty the loader bucket where we were putting the crushed pulp.

Beer, two years ago cider, brats, hot dogs and sides were provided to keep everyone happy.

I really like doing things like this. I can see why communities were much closer 100 years ago when neighbors would get together for thrashing grain, butchering chickens, hogs, etc. We have this event and honey harvest as social work groups. A few years ago I rented a chipper and people brought over loads of leaves and branches and took home mulch at the end of the day. Food, friends and at the end of the day you have accomplished something as well.