looking to buy a SS gas line, DAD300 style

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rager
Distiller

looking to buy a SS gas line, DAD300 style

Post by rager »

so Ive the threads about the original SS gas line outline from DAD my only concern is getting the yellow jacket off the line. id rather buy something that's SS and I don't have to worry about removing the protective coating.

so here is what ive found. the reason im looking to go 3/8 is because I tried the 1/2" from home depot and wasn't working out well fitting in the 2 inch pipe . but I only really tried for a minute.

im thinking the 3/8 will wind tighter with more service area and fit a little better. plus this one says it has 1/4in id. from my reading I believe others I using 1/4 cooling lines without a problem.

oh btw this is a 48" packed boka

so any input on any of these ss lines?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#gasoline-hose-line/=snlfo8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5830kac/=snlk86" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
would you use it?
or
http://www.amazon.com/HomeFlex-Heater-C ... 06&sr=1-21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
ships in 1-3 months ? wtf?

or if anyone has any other links to some ss lines please send them why way :-) thanks

rager

http://www.amazon.com/HomeFlex-Heater-C ... uctDetails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: looking to buy a SS gas line, DAD300 style

Post by Windy City »

Hey Rager
Your looking in the wrong direction. You don't want stainless braided line what your looking for is corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST)
This is the Home Depot version
http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/20307 ... eviews.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
There is also the professional versions such as Wardflex, or GasTite.
The plastic coating (or jacket) is easily removed, as that is part of the proper installation of fittings.
I have worked with Wardflex and GasTite quite a lot and you should be able to wrap the 1/2" nicely into a 2" line.

Hope this helps
Windy City
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
White_Lightning_Rod
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by White_Lightning_Rod »

I've been looking for the same 3/8 as well. So far all that I have found locally that is smaller than 1/2" and in shorter 4ft to 8ft lengths and even a lot of the 1/2" in shorter lengths has a coating that is either painted on or powder coated on. Making it very difficult to remove. I did find 3/8 on the gas tite website in 50 and 75ft rolls when I get disposable funds Im thinking I will order a roll since the bulk lengths have to have a removable coating to allow fittings to be added. Keep us posted if you find a good supplier for the shorter lengths.
HD forum, the best damn group of criminals and outlaws you'll ever meet.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

If you want short lengths try the gas appliance connectors at plumbingsupply.com I think they have bare lines with fittings attached to the ends up to 6 feet long of various diameters.

I personally went for a 25 ft roll of Gastite from Home Depot. It's not much more than a connector with shipping and it is very thin walled allowing for good heat transfer. The yellow stuff is just a loose plastic sleeve that pulls off.

As for 1/2" not fitting well in 2" pipe, you don't have to make a coil. Just double it over and twist it. Stretch out a scrubbie or use a little mesh to wrap around it and it will work fine. You will be surprised how little it takes to knock down the vapors. No one will see it hidden inside your column and think any less of you for not having a fancy coil.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Originally ebay was my friend for this stuff.
Here's the best I found today http://www.ebay.com/itm/DORMONT-20-3132 ... 48688d9f57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

1/2" o.d. x 48" should be easily wound to fit in a 2" column. As HD said, the coils don't have to be perfectly perpendicular to the column.

For 3/8" o.d. there is solar heater CSST but it starts at $5usd a foot.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

they have this stuff in every size and length at Amazon. My experience was that the 1/2" was a super tight squeeze if you wanted to coil it up in a 2" column. the best you can do is a loose twist. The 3/8" you can make a nice little coil out of it.

Looks like the price has gone up, but this will give you a model number/brand
http://www.amazon.com/Watts-Dormont-10- ... B0046ECKR2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Edit: 36" is only $20. It's probably long enough
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1 ... e=UTF8&me=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

thanks bob, I haven't come across those products yet on amazon . bout to read up. this is what I was looking for. I didn't like the idea of having to burn off the yellow plastic coating on the gas lines from home depot.

ragin rager
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

glad to help. I forgot about another good source - Zorotools. Even better deals

http://www.zoro.com/g/Stainless%20Steel ... 54174/None" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
BigSwede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BigSwede »

I've made several orders from Zoro in the last few months... good company for those in the USA.

Here's a helpful hint with Zoro. They are constantly running specials, at any given time there are a half dozen codes that will net some significant savings. Here's where they can be found:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/zoro.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Free shipping is almost always there with over $50, and is automatic. What I do is have a running "wish list" of all the dozens of fiddly things needed to get a still running, and once it's large enough, it lets you crack into the super-discount level, like the 30% off I got last month when my order totalled over $300. That's ninety bucks! I bought non-still things too like the center-pull paper towels I use in my shop, machine tool stuff, some electrical stuff, etc.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

thanks guys for those great links. cheaper than amazon. im going with the 3/8 id. I guess at this point im most interested in what I should order as far as length . id rather have more than I need. and a couple extra bucks spent wont break me. so 48" or 60 . oh btw its a 2 inch by 48 inch boka.

rager
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

How are you guys getting the coating off? Im trying to scratch an area with my pocket knife to peel it off but it seems like its painted on. Any suggestions?
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

There are two types of yellow gas lines - appliance connectors which are painted (come with ends on), and CSST which has a vinyl sleeve over it.
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

Hmm I may have bought the wrong one
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

panikry83 wrote:Hmm I may have bought the wrong one
Yep, I have spent extra money by not doing the research and saved money when I do a little research before building.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I tried to get the paint/powder coat off one of those yellow ones once, I found it next to impossible. Fortunately for me I found a bunch of uncoated 3/8 and 1/2" ones on closeout at Home Depot super cheap.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

panikry83 wrote:Hmm I may have bought the wrong one
In a pinch it will burn off... Just don't apply more heat than needed... Then a good cleansing and mild acid bath and you're good to go... Or take it back and get the right stuff...
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

A half inch two scrubbie twirl, degree of difficulty, 0.2, for a two inch column condenser controlled reflux condenser, :lol: I got a relative to buy the 72" heater connector tubing from Home Depot and send it to me here in Australia.
image.jpeg
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

How long should the CSST be for a CCVM?
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Bee wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:24 am How long should the CSST be for a CCVM?
What are you asking? Do you want to know length of CSST pre bending? Or length of the twisted CSST?
5’ of CSST should be plenty. Good luck finding any without the yellow plastic coating but a razor knife and some tugging will easily remove it.

An 8” length of twisted CSST is sufficient. Measured from top of tee to about 1/2” - 1” sticking out the bottom. Of course this depends on your build. For instance I’m about 16” from top of tee to 0.5” out the bottom. Entirely too much length but that’s how I cut it and I’m not going to mess with it. I was given great advice by TwistedBrick and Deplorable to make a 8”-10” coil and then leave a long “stem” to get to the top of my tee.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Stonecutter wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:12 am
Good luck finding any without the yellow plastic coating but a razor knife and some tugging will easily remove it.

This seller has uncoated CSST and this is what I'm currently using in my 2" VM:

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

I'm using the same stuff as greggn except I bought a 6' piece. A dimrorth made from 3/8" fits nicely inside 2" copper.

The biggest choice is the fittings on the end to minimize adapters.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

Stonecutter wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:12 am
What are you asking? Do you want to know length of CSST pre bending? Or length of the twisted CSST?
5’ of CSST should be plenty. Good luck finding any without the yellow plastic coating but a razor knife and some tugging will easily remove it.
My Tube above the T is 12" of 2" copper. I think that's about 16" to the bottom of the take-off part of the T.
Seems like 3ft ought to do? 4ft? More?
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Well you’re going to essentially bend it in half and twist it up. Half of 36 is 18 so you’ll be right there. 4’ might be a better option to play around with.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Depends on what size you buy. I bought 3/8" CSST 6' long but it actually measures 1/2" on the OD.

My reflux condenser looks like this except it has scrubbers in it now because vapor could sneak past:

It fits nicely in 10" of 2" copper pipe.

You want the lowest position to be almost 1/2 of it below the takeoff so you condense all the vapor before it gets to the takeoff and the ends have to be long enough to stick out the top of the stub in that position. I had to shorten the nose of it since I took the picture to make that happen. I'm sure you can do it with a shorter piece of CSST but 6' worked well for me.

This thread covers the same question.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Bee wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:51 am
Seems like 3ft ought to do? 4ft? More?

Cut some wire, build a prototype, and check the positions of your bends.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn