Enzymes sebstar- sebamyl

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: Enzymes sebstar- sebamyl

Post by DAD300 »

20lbs of rolled oats into 12 gallon of 200F water, mixed and cooled to 180F
20lbs of rolled oats into 12 gallon of 200F water, mixed and cooled to 180F
After SebHTL 180F and 10 min mixing, cool to 150F and second enzyme
After SebHTL 180F and 10 min mixing, cool to 150F and second enzyme
cooled over night, pitched, pic 12 hours after pitch
cooled over night, pitched, pic 12 hours after pitch
Ferment was basically over in seven days. Has been clearing for two days. About a third clear beer on top. I will end up with 12 gallons boiler charge.
SG 1.06
FG 1.0 may go a little lower
~7.7% ABV

Heat water, turn flame off, NO cooking, no scorching, this is second batch.
I may put a sugar head on top of left overs.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Glad to see everyone's having such success with these enzymes, we finally get to taste what a grain truly tastes like in its raw form. Dad were those feed store rolled oats or oatmeal style?
I did a piggy back on mine and it did great , my wife said best UJSSM yet, she can be a tough critic.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
Terryv
Novice

Post by Terryv »

moosemilk wrote:I got a reply but he only ships the 2oz to Canada free shipping though he said.
I don't have the email anymore but he told me like 20$ to ship to Canada for the 2oz and well into the 30$ range for the 4oz kit

I gave up and ordered the powdered enzyme from mile hi
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Just placed my order. They are out of the sebstar until next week, but I told them bill me and send when they get in stock. Check your pm terry, gonna send one.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Well, my enzymes have been shipped this week and hoping to have by monday or so. 8oz of sebstar and 8oz of sebamyl came to a total of 50bux Cdn including shipping, so i'm more than happy. Special thanks to apdb for providing me with information to a great source here in Canada!

My wife is probably going to put sticky notes on anything with grains in the cupboard now that i can ferment with large letters saying "NOT TO DRINK" :lol:
Can't wait to try some of woodshed's Booners Casual All Corn! Thanks for that recipe, woodshed!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Just waiting for my next shipment of enzymes to arrive. :D
stack.jpg
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Guys you will love the Booners a rich corny goodness, I loved it. To taste just a fresh grain and no malt is Glorious.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Corn, oats, barley and enzymes.
Sounds like the fun will begin.
Are you going to start by cooking the corn, then adding the oats and barley at their gelatinize temps?
In other words what is the beginning protocol for cooking the starches?
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Moosemilk, you are welcome. Very pure grain flavor from a variety of sources.
Distilling these products separately then blending.
This is where I am headed with them.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

shadylane wrote:Are you going to start by cooking the corn, then adding the oats and barley at their gelatinize temps?
At least for this next batch, I going to cook the heck out of everything unmalted without a husk! (which will be everything in the pile) :ewink:
freshwaterjellyfish
Swill Maker

Post by freshwaterjellyfish »

try these guys:
http://www.dannyswineandbeer.com/buy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed , feels alone in a cruel world. Doctor says, "Treatments simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor. I am Pagliacci." 
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
shadylane wrote:Are you going to start by cooking the corn, then adding the oats and barley at their gelatinize temps?
At least for this next batch, I going to cook the heck out of everything unmalted without a husk! (which will be everything in the pile) :ewink:
Putting things in at the higher temps, near boiling gives a better yield than does the lower temps we've read about. None of those grains have has a bitter tannin present to me. My wife always wants to drink the mash so it can't be bad. She's a super taster.
apdb
Swill Maker
Location: big ole'island on the West Coast Canada, soon to be underwater when the big one hits

Post by apdb »

Moosemilk asked me to post this for all of the Canadians...

(Forwarded)

Hey, would you mind posting a link for that shop in the sebstar/sebamyl thread? I don't mind doing it, but you deserve the credit for it since you found it! And the price is cheaper for us canucks than pintoshines, even after shipping! A four oz bottle of each from him is $24 usd, not including shipping. From http://hamiltonhops.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow 2 x 8oz cost me 50 CDN including shipping. That's enough for about 600lbs of grain...hell of a deal, and ton of hooch! Thanks again!

The enzymes are found under the heading "Beer Products / Beer Additives.

"Stay thirsty, my friends"

Aaron
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Glad you guys found a source for these up there, get to mashing!!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

moosemilk wrote:My wife is probably going to put sticky notes on anything with grains in the cupboard now that i can ferment with large letters saying "NOT TO DRINK"
:lol: Looks like SoMo and Moosemilk are fixin to mash anything that doesn't move... :thumbup:
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Thanks Aaron. I'll post here when mine arrive to let you all know
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
moosemilk wrote:My wife is probably going to put sticky notes on anything with grains in the cupboard now that i can ferment with large letters saying "NOT TO DRINK"
:lol: Looks like SoMo and Moosemilk are fixin to mash anything that doesn't move... :thumbup:
They'd mash things that move too if they could. :)
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

RevSpaminator wrote: They'd mash things that move too if they could. :)
Those critters just keep jumping outta my mash barrel!
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Hey now, you're probably right though the possibilities are endless as to what you can mash.
metalsmith
Bootlegger

Post by metalsmith »

SoMo wrote:Hey now, you're probably right though the possibilities are endless as to what you can mash.
2pounds coffee grounds, gallon of water, bring to boil , cool, pitch enzymes,,,,, Kailua no cream?
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

Good recipe metalsmith :clap: :clap: :clap:
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

I was thinking of adding peach flavored tea leaves to a run to flavor it, why not?
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Got my enzymes today. Nothing with any type of grain bill is safe in my house now! Lol. Just grinding up some corn atm to get started on tonight. 8 ounces of each, at 2-2.5ml per ten lbs of grain....1000 lbs of grain at that can be converted. for 35bux of enzymes. Damn sugar isn't even that cheap, nor as good!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

AG is usually cheaper than sugar heads
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Jimbo wrote:AG is usually cheaper than sugar heads
Only problem where I am...no local shops that sell malted grains. buying and shipping from online typically ends up same cost or more than sugarhead for me. So these enzymes are a real welcome "tool".
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Let us know how it goes moosemilk.
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

You guys have wrecked me, I will never use sugar again.
I ordered some through a local brew shop, I should have followed this thread more closely and just got them here!
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

While I really want to get to the booners...everybody describing that buttery caramel corn taste has my mouth watering...i still have some rye malt I want to use up. however, I find the rye can easily overpower the corn. Typically, the rye malt has enough DP to use as one part rye, 2 parts corn and no problems with conversion. Tastes great, but I wanted a little more corn flavor. So for a five gallon wash I went with 8 lbs corn and 2 lbs rye malt. I used the enzymes at .36ml per pound for the extra conversion. I cooked up the corn first as per the booners recipe (boiled water, added in cracked corn that I mill just a bit more so it's between cracked and meal). When temp was at 180 I put in 1.5 ml sebstar (yes, I realize the numbers don't add up, should be more like 2.5, but it still as described earlier "shredded" that corn sludge in no time). Stirred every 20 or so minutes til temp reached 155F. I added in 2 lbs rye malt bringing temp to 148-150. It further liquefied that corn, but when I added 1.5ml of sebamyl it really worked fast. Right before my eyes, it was much faster than my AG with malt only. Stirred it every 20 or so minutes for about an hour n half. Letting it sit til morning then iodine test and get it in the ferment bucket and pitch yeast.

I'm hoping for a bit more corn flavor to come through than my first AG and still have some nice rye flavor. Doing another 10 gallons if I get good conversion and potential abv between 8-10%. Hoping anyways. So cheap to experiment now with these enzymes!

Was going to attempt rice in another bucket, but the wife grabbed the box from me and told me it wasn't for drinking, by my own lol. Fair enough. Anybody tried using wild rice? I'm curious if that nutty flavor would carry over. Anyways, back later with results as they come!
Keigan
Novice

Post by Keigan »

I used with Rice this weekend, worked amazingly well.

6 gallons water with a starting PH of 7.0
1 tablespoon Gypsum
Bring water to boil and then add in 4kg of rice, I used short grain sushi rice because that is what I could buy in bulk.
Simmer at boil for 20 minutes, stir frequently without getting a burn on your hand - my pot has a false bottom.
Beware of large burps as the mash will turn into six gallons of cooked rice filling your pot. Also, as steam accumulates in your false bottom the overall level will rise by a couple inches.
Let it cool to 180, I added one teaspoon of Sebstar, I probably could have halved that amount (conservative on first attempt) - immediate breakdown as I stirred it across the cooked rice.
Let it cool to 140, I added one teaspoon of Sebamyl, I probably could have halved that amount (conservative on first attempt) - immediate liquification of the mash as I stirred it across the goop.
Let it rest overnight down below 100, I had two inches of clear liquid onto that measured out at .1060 SG with a PH of 5.8, Iodine test showed that no starch remained in the clear fluid without solids.

Your results may vary.

I would encourage the reading of the PDF files on their site for operating temps.
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

OK, enzyme users, I have some questions. I ordered my enzymes from Sherman about a year ago, and have them sitting in the refrig, until I read this thread, now I'm getting excited !! First, how do you measure 2ml, I have an eye dropper, is it by the drop, or is there a way to measure out that small of an amount ?? Second, talking to Jimbo, he ferments on the grain, which I usually do also, but wouldn't it be simpler to just us a false bottom in the cook pot, and after mashing drain out the liquid, maybe even sparge a little ?? This would leave no grain mess in the fermenter. I have always wondered if there is enough loss of taste doing this, guess if I wasn't so lazy I could do it both ways and find out, but asking you guys is easier. I'm going to start a batch right away, got to do a little work on my BOP, but then I'm going into this enzyme thing full steam ahead.
Thanks for you help.
The Ole Bohunk